Stay or Go.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Stay or Go.

St Kilda

The list has been shown up as not having enough A-graders, so moves need to be made in the off-season to bring in more elite talent. On the other hand, losing Nick Riewoldt and Leigh Montagna at the end of last year left a large leadership void.

David Armitage
Contracted until the end of 2019, and the 30-year-old has been much improved since returning from a stint in the VFL as he battled hamstring tendinitis. STAY

Jarryn Geary
At 30, Geary is one of the best players at the Saints and is contracted until the end of 2019, so the skipper isn't going anywhere. STAY

Sam Gilbert
The 31-year-old is maligned but still in the best 22, with Bailey Rice and Brandon White yet to cement a spot in the senior side. Furthermore, Gilbert doesn't seem to have lost any of his speed. STAY - Dinny Navaratnam

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Re: Stay or Go.

Gilbert should go...good servant and could be serviceable next year... but what is the point?

Nee!
wally
Club Player

I agree its time for Gilbert to go.
In the same article they said time for BJ to finish. If he's interested in coaching I think he'd be ok.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Gilbert will probably be let go and he has been a fantastic servant. Especially now senior players like Brown, Carlisle, Roberton, Savage and Geary are playing down back most weeks.

Geary and Armitage will play on of course.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Stay

Stay

Go

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

wally wrote: Wed 18 Jul 2018 3:03pm In the same article they said time for BJ to finish. If he's interested in coaching I think he'd be ok.
I was thinking the same. If Essendon wont renew his contract - maybe we can have a chat!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

In an ideal world we should wait and see if Armo can string more than a month of good footy together before deciding whether he stays, but his sizeable contract probably means he could break down with back/groin issues tomorrow and miss the rest of the season but he'd still stay.

Geary is a very good lockdown defender and needs to be utilised that way instead of continuing to try to turn him into a playmaker. Although honestly I think he would be most valuable to a top 8 team and clearing him from our list would mean more opportunity for Rice/Coffield/McKenzie/White to develop. Not expecting him to go anywhere, though

Gilbert absolutely has to go. He is the oldest player on the list by almost 2 years and not in our best 22

Winmar7
Club Player

Keep Armo, let his contract run out and that should do him :)

Geary needs to stay, we can't get rid of the captain, though I wouldn't think he'd have too many years left

Gilbo - thanks for the service mate, he's got his 200 games and we've got better kicks who can play in that position...

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Armo is finishing the season strongly so it looks like he is staying which I think is great. Hats off to the guy.

If it was the other way around it would be a different story.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Wed 18 Jul 2018 1:57pm St Kilda

The list has been shown up as not having enough A-graders, so moves need to be made in the off-season to bring in more elite talent. On the other hand, losing Nick Riewoldt and Leigh Montagna at the end of last year left a large leadership void.

David Armitage
Contracted until the end of 2019, and the 30-year-old has been much improved since returning from a stint in the VFL as he battled hamstring tendinitis. STAY

Jarryn Geary
At 30, Geary is one of the best players at the Saints and is contracted until the end of 2019, so the skipper isn't going anywhere. STAY

Sam Gilbert
The 31-year-old is maligned but still in the best 22, with Bailey Rice and Brandon White yet to cement a spot in the senior side. Furthermore, Gilbert doesn't seem to have lost any of his speed. STAY - Dinny Navaratnam
Faaaark Dinny - I've got some logic for you ... the reason Rice and White can't cement a spot is because Gilbert is still playing. Hard to cement a spot when they're in and out of the team depending on Gilbert's availability. Nipsy

Go you red, black & white warriors
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Wed 18 Jul 2018 4:55pm
saynta wrote: Wed 18 Jul 2018 1:57pm St Kilda

David Armitage

Jarryn Geary

Sam Gilbert
Faaaark Dinny - I've got some logic for you ... the reason Rice and White can't cement a spot is because Gilbert is still playing. Hard to cement a spot when they're in and out of the team depending on Gilbert's availability. Nipsy
Don't be so harsh on Dinny ......

The process to writing the piece:
Pick the older players;
Check their contract status;
Contracted - write some nice stuff;
Un-contracted - look at who they are keeping out.

DOn't do any more research - submit!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Sainter_Dad wrote: Wed 18 Jul 2018 5:27pm Don't be so harsh on Dinny ......

The process to writing the piece:
Pick the older players;
Check their contract status;
Contracted - write some nice stuff;
Un-contracted - look at who they are keeping out.

DOn't do any more research - submit!
agreed - even a phone call to AR himself would not reveal the fact he would prefer to play the older guys to keep win/loss ratio up rather than develop younger guys

and a fat zero to BJG coming in as a coach - he simply does not have the temperament or rational thought

Seeya
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Gilbo needs to go - that’s obvious.

He’ll finish up with Gold Coast I reckon.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

They will all stay, are we really going to delist/ trade a contracted David Armitage for so we can use Pick 110 in the draft??

If we had 7 picks inside the top 30, or manage to get Lynch, McGovern, Gaff to all sign on, then sure, clean them out. But we’re not improving by picking speculative guys from the end of the draft.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote: Thu 19 Jul 2018 12:43am They will all stay, are we really going to delist/ trade a contracted David Armitage for so we can use Pick 110 in the draft??

If we had 7 picks inside the top 30, or manage to get Lynch, McGovern, Gaff to all sign on, then sure, clean them out. But we’re not improving by picking speculative guys from the end of the draft.
This!

All three mentioned may not be as good as the top 50 in the draft - but they are better than #40 on our list - and can offer guidance and experience. We cannot afford to completely strip our club of all of its older players, just because something bright and shiny comes along!

Of course, if we can get a deal across the line, by offering one of them as trade bait, and it improves our list, then we need to go for it - but to toss aside a player, simply because he is older/slowing down is a ridiculous strategy if you are not replacing him with something better.

I actually thought that keeping Joey on the list (at significant pay cuts all around) would have provided the youngsters with more guidance and teaching.

― Aristophanes