Losing Is Now Part Of Our Culture

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

Losing Is Now Part Of Our Culture

I'm sure some of you might find the headline outrageous. Bear with me.

I've been conducting a little experiment. It involves closely examining our coach for what he says, doesn't say and body language when we lose.

A pretty easy experiment, under the circumstances, given the number of times we've lost this year.

Richo reads from the same script. We lacked commitment, endeavour, our opponents wanted the footy more than we did etc etc

It is a very tiresome script. A very annoying script because it dodges so many bullets. No responsibility, no accountability no new plan for rectifying the faults other than we will keep working on it. The same old same old.

We have a serious problem that no one wants to take responsibility for or rectify other than to keep doing what we are doing. Except this is the definition of insanity....doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. That pretty much defines our footy club in season 2018.

Many things need to change at our footy club starting with the coach and coaches. We need to get rid of some players. I think most people know who they are. We need to recognise Paddy McCartin is never going to be the player we want him to be. Despite what Richo says or McCartin's manager.

The guy is injury prone and harsh as it may sound not good enough to be an elite player befitting his number one draft status. He is not the first nor will he be the last to never live up to expectation.

I also don't want this to sound like a McCartin bashing exercise. He is not the reason why we've had such a lousy season. He's just part of the problem.

The club has lost so many times at everything, it is now ingrained as part of our culture. It is the only thing we seem to be really good at. It won't change the way I support the club. It is just my way of saying how deeply disappointing we have been and continue to be.

And what is truly awful, I can't see anything changing any time soon.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Losing Is Now Part Of Our Culture

Saints have been in business since 1873 and we've won one flag by a point, at the same time a lot of wooden spoons (I'm not sure how many). This makes us the least successful club in the competition, and probably the least successful sporting club in the history of world sport.

Suggesting this is a recent phenomena is probably a tad unfair on Paddy or our coach.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

As s*** as it is to have only got 1 flag (although we really should won some more overall in GF's from the 60's, '97 and '09/10)...its really not worth losing sleep over. Your family, friends, community and work come first. Its still just a bloody sport.

I played in around 8 flags as a footballer in my youth to seniors. I will always find that more enjoyable than the Saints winning a flag or a few flags in my lifetime, but it would be great to see the Saints get another flag or flags before I go ten feet under which is a fair way off. Sporting clubs are more than just about winning flags. I don't think the Saints are losers at all or have that loser mentality. We have had some awesome success and winning rates as a club at times, but again...its just a game of footy. Don't invest too much of your life into it all.

The Saints have a long and proud history...win, lose or draw. We are still one of the oldest sporting clubs in the world and have a massive fan base.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I agree with you and I think it's the first time ever...Did someone hack your login

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Scollop wrote: Sun 22 Jul 2018 3:44am I agree with you and I think it's the first time ever...Did someone hack your login
Negative Mr Potato Cake.
Maybe ParkeySainter has been making sense the entire time...

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

These threads drive Bigfooty.

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Sun 22 Jul 2018 3:55pm
Scollop wrote: Sun 22 Jul 2018 3:44am I agree with you and I think it's the first time ever...Did someone hack your login
Negative Mr Potato Cake.
No probs Mr Battered Marsbar you piece of s***

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Scollop wrote: Sun 22 Jul 2018 4:59pm
parkeysainter wrote: Sun 22 Jul 2018 3:55pm
Negative Mr Potato Cake.
No probs Mr Battered Marsbar you piece of s***
I actually prefer battered flake and minimum chips. Plus a coke zero from my local fish and chips.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Fighting with everyone now. Never learns.

:roll:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Sun 22 Jul 2018 3:55pm Maybe ParkeySainter has been making sense the entire time...

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

C'mon Con G, I didn't know you were a farmer up north mate.

ace
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Sat 21 Jul 2018 6:57pm I'm sure some of you might find the headline outrageous. Bear with me.

I've been conducting a little experiment. It involves closely examining our coach for what he says, doesn't say and body language when we lose.

A pretty easy experiment, under the circumstances, given the number of times we've lost this year.

Richo reads from the same script. We lacked commitment, endeavour, our opponents wanted the footy more than we did etc etc

It is a very tiresome script. A very annoying script because it dodges so many bullets. No responsibility, no accountability no new plan for rectifying the faults other than we will keep working on it. The same old same old.

We have a serious problem that no one wants to take responsibility for or rectify other than to keep doing what we are doing. Except this is the definition of insanity....doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. That pretty much defines our footy club in season 2018.

Many things need to change at our footy club starting with the coach and coaches. We need to get rid of some players. I think most people know who they are. We need to recognise Paddy McCartin is never going to be the player we want him to be. Despite what Richo says or McCartin's manager.

The guy is injury prone and harsh as it may sound not good enough to be an elite player befitting his number one draft status. He is not the first nor will he be the last to never live up to expectation.

I also don't want this to sound like a McCartin bashing exercise. He is not the reason why we've had such a lousy season. He's just part of the problem.

The club has lost so many times at everything, it is now ingrained as part of our culture. It is the only thing we seem to be really good at. It won't change the way I support the club. It is just my way of saying how deeply disappointing we have been and continue to be.

And what is truly awful, I can't see anything changing any time soon.
McCartin may well be a problem.
But a bigger problem is the club's selection attitude.
There seems to be a desire to prove the recruiters correct by giving him undeserved game time.
A superior selection team would establish a canyon between where a player was taken in the draft and their selection.
Once a player is recruited onto the list he is equal with other recruits.
Pick No100 in the draft and pick No1 become equal, they are given games based upon their merit and development needs.

It is no different to employing graduates.
You employ the graduate who you think will be the best.
But once employed all those high distinctions become meaningless.
Promotions are based on performance and perceived future development.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Shaggy
Club Player

There are some on SS who have really imploded this year.

The saints have really underperformed but we are much better now than we were last year when we won half our games.

Long, Austin, Clarke, Coffield & Battle are very likely first players for the next 10 years IMO.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Shaggy wrote: Sun 22 Jul 2018 11:35pm There are some on SS who have really imploded this year.

The saints have really underperformed but we are much better now than we were last year when we won half our games.

Long, Austin, Clarke, Coffield & Battle are very likely first players for the next 10 years IMO.
Good post.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote: Sun 22 Jul 2018 11:35pm There are some on SS who have really imploded this year.

OR destined to hit second year blues and spiral into the underdeveloped potential list we have which is quite long
To suggest we are much better than last year is fanciful and a long shot

“Yeah….nah””
Shaggy
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Mon 23 Jul 2018 12:21am

OR destined to hit second year blues and spiral into the underdeveloped potential list we have which is quite long
Long, Austin, Clarke, Coffield & Battle are players IMO. 5 improvements to a team which won half its games last year is ok IMO.

Shaggy
Club Player

Shaggy wrote: Mon 23 Jul 2018 1:20am

Long, Austin, Clarke, Coffield & Battle are players IMO. 5 improvements to a team which won half its games last year is ok IMO.
I forgot to add Phillips!

20 possessions a game is not bad for a 2nd year

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

HUH??????????????????????
Your drunk, or.....
dunno.
Im mystified.

takeaway
Club Player

I disagree with most of the OP. True, probably prior to 1990 losing was part of the culture. Bit of a surge in mid 60's early 70's but generally losing was pretty common.

To say that losing is NOW part of our culture I believe is wrong. Bad year this year, but for the last generation, say from 1990, without checking figures, I would say our win/loss, and finals appearances would compare favourably, and better than, a lot of teams. Finals in early 90's, late 90's, mid and late 2000's, including 4 grand finals. If we had won just one, this OP wouldn't exist. 2016 and 2017 we were not far off finals, but we did have a pretty good run with injuries in those years. This year I think injuries have disrupted us more than we think.

We certainly need to improve from this year, and need to make changes, and that looks like it will happen. Look forward to seeing the youngsters develop for the rest of this year, and moving up the ladder next year.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Silly thread. We have won 3 of our last 5 games and lost in a place where we have never won and lost against the reigning premier's who sit atop the ladder. Enough said

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

DJ Higgins wrote: Mon 23 Jul 2018 11:06am Silly thread. We have won 3 of our last 5 games and lost in a place where we have never won and lost against the reigning premier's who sit atop the ladder. Enough said
Agreed. We have simply had a s*** year and gone backwards from where we were meant to be headed. It can be rectified quickly if decent decisions are made plus a bit of luck.

I think the Saints have done pretty well as a club since making the finals again in 1991. I don't think legends like Plugger, Loewe, Harvey, Riewoldt, Hayes, etc. were part of a losing culture or ever felt that way. Its rubbish.

spert
Saintsational Legend

What's the problem? We won a premiership only 52 years ago, and any year now we are going to come good. :(

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote: Mon 23 Jul 2018 1:20am

Key letters
IMO
I had Barry Brooks down at one point after he played some decent games but each to theirs....and hope you’re crystal ball is spot on

“Yeah….nah””
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

"now"?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "