Our entire spine was out and we were very unlucky to lose

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Our entire spine was out and we were very unlucky to lose

Very unlucky to lose. Hopefully, Lethlean and the club make the necessary hard calls and we can improve the list and the coaching assistants.
Missing from last night's team were:

FB - Brown
CHB - Carlisle
Rucks - Longer/Hickey
Mid - Stevens
CHF - Bruce
FF - McCartin

And a very handy attacking half-back flanker in Roberton.

And we lose to the currently fourth-placed side by 4 points.

Where has this level of effort been all year?

Or is it just that when you play youth sometimes you bring in enthusiasm with it?

I would leave the side we had in last night again next week against North - except to replace injuries. And I would replace any injured players with best performers from Sandy, not senior names - hopefully, Freeman, Coffield or Clark.

And you know what the really funny thing is about all of this? When all of that spine I listed above were in the side at the beginning of the year, we were losing by even more than we were just a couple of weeks ago. But it shouldn't have taken a catastrophic injury list for player development to have taken place.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Tommyj
Club Player

Re: Our entire spine was out and we were very unlucky to lose

We'll never know Newnes out freezer in we win

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Take Stevens out all together. Can I suggest if that spine was playing, 60% of it would still be missing and we likely would have lost by a lot more.
Great to see Logan, Pierce and Marshall playing. They give me hope. Paton gives me hope. Billings, Acres, McKenzie and Gresham give hope...we are getting glimpses of what our young blokes can do when they string games together, have multiple pre seasons and begin to reach / pass that 50 game mark. Which really makes it imperative to play our 1st and 2nd year players.
Hawthorn, Collingwood, Sydney, even Richmond have the courage and belief to do it. I suggest this is more to do with the Coaching / Development staff & the Match Committee than our players. This siege mentality engulfing everyone at the club needs to be sorted out by a strong, progressive President.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Kids
Kids have a go
Kids have no fear
Kids who ought to have played more this year...except we bring Gilbo back in

“Yeah….nah””
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sun 19 Aug 2018 9:04am Very unlucky to lose. Hopefully, Lethlean and the club make the necessary hard calls and we can improve the list and the coaching assistants.

FB - Brown
CHB - Carlisle
Rucks - Longer/Hickey
Mid - Stevens
CHF - Bruce
FF - McCartin

Or is it just that when you play youth sometimes you bring in enthusiasm with it?

I would leave the side we had in last night again next week against North - except to replace injuries. And I would replace any injured players with best performers from Sandy, not senior names - hopefully, Freeman, Coffield or Clark.

And you know what the really funny thing is about all of this? When all of that spine I listed above were in the side at the beginning of the year, we were losing by even more than we were just a couple of weeks ago. But it shouldn't have taken a catastrophic injury list for player development to have taken place.
Spot on!

Marshall, Pierce, Austin, Lonie would not get a game if Brown, Longer, Hickey, Paddy, Mav etc were fit & available.

We’re we getting smashed early but coach stuck with the same players week in week out.

Injuries force change and maybe these four can show they can play.

Ross Lyon was terrible at saints for not blooding youth and we paid the price long term. At least Ross’ teams were competing for a flag.

Richo does the same thing with a 33% win ratio.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Mav was available. He played for Sandy.

Whiskey
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote: Sun 19 Aug 2018 9:04am Very unlucky to lose. Hopefully, Lethlean and the club make the necessary hard calls and we can improve the list and the coaching assistants.

FB - Brown
CHB - Carlisle
Rucks - Longer/Hickey
Mid - Stevens
CHF - Bruce
FF - McCartin

Sorry m8 but that spine you mention is nothing special whatsoever. Bruce is rightfully dropped to the vfl now and then, mccartin is crap, the rucks are a disgrace and Stevens is retired. So we were missing 1 good player. (Carlisle)

spert
Saintsational Legend

With most that spine in, earlier in the season, we didn't seem to go that well at all. Maybe last night is the new spine?

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Whiskey wrote: Sun 19 Aug 2018 12:02pm

FB - Brown
CHB - Carlisle
Rucks - Longer/Hickey
Mid - Stevens
CHF - Bruce
FF - McCartin

Sorry m8 but that spine you mention is nothing special whatsoever. Bruce is rightfully dropped to the vfl now and then, mccartin is crap, the rucks are a disgrace and Stevens is retired. So we were missing 1 good player. (Carlisle)
And Dylan Roberton.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

FB - Brown
CHB - Carlisle
Rucks - Longer/Hickey
Mid - Stevens
CHF - Bruce
FF - McCartin

You clearly haven't been paying attention.

It's the coach's fault, (I hate him btw)
It's the lack of development
It's the board's fault
It's the game plan (it's really really old)

Sarcasm aside, yeah injuries have really destabilised the club this year however with a better coach and a better board and a better game plan we would have have won heaps more games.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Our spine has very little spine.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Sun 19 Aug 2018 1:40pm

It's the board's fault

Well according to Richo it is the player's fault ;)
Cairnsman wrote: Sun 19 Aug 2018 1:40pm Sarcasm aside, yeah injuries have really destabilised the club this year however with a better coach and a better board and a better game plan we would have have won heaps more games.
Agree.

On the gameplan/ team structure this week:
1/That we switched backwards less and played on more often up the ground
2/ That when the Hawks started running through the centre this game that we actually closed it off unlike for example the Dons game
3/ That Billings was up the ground setting up play, and not playing as a small forward for the game
4/ That Geary was back playing a tagging role defensive role which is is very good at, rather than be a loose attacking defender which he is poor at.

Also the Hawks look a really slow team and so I think our selection and team balance work well to play them as we were very nimble. So congrats to our selectors this week.

I would like Sinclair back on the wing as that is where he plays his best football, but they went with Newnes there. apart from that how they lined up look good to me this week.

Congrats to Steele and Lonie for both probably playing their best every games for us this week. Both made a big difference to us.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Sun 19 Aug 2018 4:13pm

It's the board's fault

Cairnsman wrote: Sun 19 Aug 2018 1:40pm Sarcasm aside, yeah injuries have really destabilised the club this year however with a better coach and a better board and a better game plan we would have have won heaps more games.
Agree.

2/ That when the Hawks started running through the centre this game that we actually closed it off unlike for example the Dons game
3/ That Billings was up the ground setting up play, and not playing as a small forward for the game
4/ That Geary was back playing a tagging role defensive role which is is very good at, rather than be a loose attacking defender which he is poor at.

Also the Hawks look a really slow team and so I think our selection and team balance work well to play them as we were very nimble. So congrats to our selectors this week.

I would like Sinclair back on the wing as that is where he plays his best football, but they went with Newnes there. apart from that how they lined up look good to me this week.

Congrats to Steele and Lonie for both probably playing their best every games for us this week. Both made a big difference to us.
I forgot to add it's the players fault.😜
Which incidentally I think some supporters added 1+1 and got 3.1456789 when it came to interpreting some of Richo's comments about players.

But I digress, wanted to also comment on Jack Steele, I think you can put a tick next to his name for a player who has improved this year. I'm bullish about Jack, I think he's A grade quality soon. It's great his tagging work is being recongnised but I reckon he's getting much better as a distributor, and that's after he wins it also.

Could he become our new spiritual leader in the form of one Lenny Hayes?

One to watch in 2019 as they say.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Sun 19 Aug 2018 4:48pm

But I digress, wanted to also comment on Jack Steele, I think you can put a tick next to his name for a player who has improved this year. I'm bullish about Jack, I think he's A grade quality soon. It's great his tagging work is being recongnised but I reckon he's getting much better as a distributor, and that's after he wins it also.

Yes I agree on Steele. I think he has arrived this year. His second half of the season has been in particular very, very good.

He has been one of the few pluses for the year.

Hopefully he can take the next step to be an offensive mid, but at present he is excelling in his current role.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Sun 19 Aug 2018 5:10pm

Yes I agree on Steele. I think he has arrived this year. His second half of the season has been in particular very, very good.

He has been one of the few pluses for the year.

Hopefully he can take the next step to be an offensive mid, but at present he is excelling in his current role.
Firstly I would like the club to give him another contract.

chico2001
Club Player

Dont think he has got the pace to be any type of mid, an effective tagger. Can kick a goal now and then. You would like to think that recruitment would have a couple of mids already picked out 1 trade and 1 draft. Leave Steele to do the grunt work. If he got to Lenny hayes level that would be the greatest bonus of all time.

Shaggy
Club Player

chico2001 wrote: Mon 20 Aug 2018 10:14pm Dont think he has got the pace to be any type of mid, an effective tagger. Can kick a goal now and then. You would like to think that recruitment would have a couple of mids already picked out 1 trade and 1 draft. Leave Steele to do the grunt work. If he got to Lenny hayes level that would be the greatest bonus of all time.
Steele is a gun. Confident he is equal of Sloane. Hoping he will be Lenny level.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Sun 19 Aug 2018 4:13pm

It's the board's fault

Agree.

I forgot to add it's the players fault.😜
Which incidentally I think some supporters added 1+1 and got 3.1456789 when it came to interpreting some of Richo's comments about players.

Cairnsman, the Pi-man. :P

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
chico2001
Club Player

Shaggy wrote: Mon 20 Aug 2018 10:23pm
chico2001 wrote: Mon 20 Aug 2018 10:14pm Dont think he has got the pace to be any type of mid, an effective tagger. Can kick a goal now and then. You would like to think that recruitment would have a couple of mids already picked out 1 trade and 1 draft. Leave Steele to do the grunt work. If he got to Lenny hayes level that would be the greatest bonus of all time.
Steele is a gun. Confident he is equal of Sloane. Hoping he will be Lenny level.
Huge statement, massive statement. Check out Lennys playing record and his achievements, we are talking about a club legend here. Might pay to check out Sloanes playing record as well and he aint finished yet. Wait 3-4 years then come back and revisit.