strategy on trade/draft now

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

strategy on trade/draft now

Will be interested to see if their is a realignment of strategy or a path continued for the remainder of the trade period.

Option 1:
Keep chasing talent - Scully is reportedly not happy with GWS and their medical staff . They need to continue to dump salary for Kelly 2019 so may be an option. to me Wingard likely to stay and what port are asking is overs big time.

Option2:
Reality is be it our list, our coach, our status , our ladder position or a combination of all we are not a destination club and apart from offering opportunity to fringe players or older players in the back half of the career . Therefore a rebuild is required. What will be important is not to do a Carlton/ Melbourne and retain some key experienced players to stop us getting slaughtered but also bring in as much young quality talent as is possible. who really has value that could bring in top line talent.

Hickey - likely to bring in a pick in late 20's
Lonie - 3rd round pick
Bruce - i really think he could be a late first rounder due to versatility and experience. Imagine him for example pushing up on the wing in the GF, Cox stays deep with De Goey. Could get Coll 1st round pick for him
Steven -if happy great keep , if unhappy then that is not going to change. Geelong have nothing to offer us really for him and i dont think can trade next years 1st pick. Also need salary cap space available as wouldn't come cheap. Hawthorn perhaps would suit their needs ?

If they did trade Bruce, Hickey, Lonie and Steven we could then have 3 picks inside 20, a late 20's pick for Hickey and a third rounder.

3 top 20 picks , Coffield , Clarke, Gresham, Billings, Acres, Membrey, Carlisle, Steele, Webster, is not a bad core group long term which would add a top 4 pick next year too .

If you get lucky McCartin, Marshall, Rice, Battle, White develop further also.

Retain experience through Ross, Armitage, Roberton, Brown,

Just a thought.

ListManager
Club Player

Re: strategy on trade/draft now

older saint wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 6:56pm Will be interested to see if their is a realignment of strategy or a path continued for the remainder of the trade period.

Option 1:
Keep chasing talent - Scully is reportedly not happy with GWS and their medical staff . They need to continue to dump salary for Kelly 2019 so may be an option. to me Wingard likely to stay and what port are asking is overs big time.

Option2:
Reality is be it our list, our coach, our status , our ladder position or a combination of all we are not a destination club and apart from offering opportunity to fringe players or older players in the back half of the career . Therefore a rebuild is required. What will be important is not to do a Carlton/ Melbourne and retain some key experienced players to stop us getting slaughtered but also bring in as much young quality talent as is possible. who really has value that could bring in top line talent.

Hickey - likely to bring in a pick in late 20's
Lonie - 3rd round pick
Bruce - i really think he could be a late first rounder due to versatility and experience. Imagine him for example pushing up on the wing in the GF, Cox stays deep with De Goey. Could get Coll 1st round pick for him
Steven -if happy great keep , if unhappy then that is not going to change. Geelong have nothing to offer us really for him and i dont think can trade next years 1st pick. Also need salary cap space available as wouldn't come cheap. Hawthorn perhaps would suit their needs ?

If they did trade Bruce, Hickey, Lonie and Steven we could then have 3 picks inside 20, a late 20's pick for Hickey and a third rounder.

3 top 20 picks , Coffield , Clarke, Gresham, Billings, Acres, Membrey, Carlisle, Steele, Webster, is not a bad core group long term which would add a top 4 pick next year too .

If you get lucky McCartin, Marshall, Rice, Battle, White develop further also.

Retain experience through Ross, Armitage, Roberton, Brown,

Just a thought.
I like your thinking Older Saint. I personally would do the following. Trade Jack Steven if anyone is willing to give us pick 15 or better. Then next year trade Carlisle if anyone is willing to give us a pick as close as possible to the top 10. I would only chase players that are Free Agents so we don't waste DP's.

NeXus Nick is back but where is Joffaboy????
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Trade our 2 stars?
Why?

Nee!
ListManager
Club Player

fugazi wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 8:37pm Trade our 2 stars?
Why?
Because by the time we are genuine flag chance Jack will be retired and Jake will be over 30. Trade them now and we will have 2 young guns in their prime with 100 games under their belt instead

NeXus Nick is back but where is Joffaboy????
older saint
SS Life Member

I would probably keep Carlisle as bigger players usually hold position longer, bit younger and provides experience and versatility - dont want to do a Carlton or Melbourne and get rid off all experience.

By same token the concept is the same, Unless we land Scully we do not have A graders and unlike others i see this list being bottom 4 regardless/in spite of coach .

groupie1
Club Player

Pelcan did that: 3 top 20 picks 3 yrs running.

It didn;'t work

If you're going to go that route, you need picks inside 10, not 20.

And yeah..... otherwise, I agree..... land 3 sub-10 picks.... I'd do almost anything to do that: 3 untouchables: Gresh, Carlisle, B Long.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
DJ Higgins
Club Player

Disagree. We need to make our club a place where players want to come and you do that by showing signs of improvement. Players choosing Carlton and Essendon for that reason.
Start playing Bruce down back part of each game so he can become a backman full time if Carlisle gets injured as we have little depth in kpd. All our picks were for hbf ffs.
Trading steven our one great player is idiotic. He is the reason we are killed each week
Until our basic skills and accuracy improves we will struggle. I put that down to the coaches

chico2001
Club Player

What pick number did we get for Hickey?, not sure if it was in the 20's