Jack Lonie - How good can he be?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Jack Lonie - How good can he be?

I really like him...

Even when he was ineffective earlier in 2018, I was super impressed with his VFL form and noted that he failed at in the seniors, he nailed with regularity at Sandy.

It always felt like it was a matter of time.

Then he got there for the last 3 games of the season.

Concerning to me however was that he was the last player on the list to sign.

Enter 2019. He was good in his one game so far and I’m predicting a big break out season.

Lonie is fast... he’s got great endeavour, he runs to the right places, he tackles... seems to have a knack for kicking goals but most importantly: X-Factor. He makes things happen.

This year, I predict 35 goals and a break out year as one of the best small forwards of the game.

barneyboyz
Club Player

Re: Jack Lonie - How good can he be?

skeptic wrote: Thu 07 Mar 2019 10:45pm I really like him...

Even when he was ineffective earlier in 2018, I was super impressed with his VFL form and noted that he failed at in the seniors, he nailed with regularity at Sandy.

It always felt like it was a matter of time.

Then he got there for the last 3 games of the season.

Concerning to me however was that he was the last player on the list to sign.

Enter 2019. He was good in his one game so far and I’m predicting a big break out season.

Lonie is fast... he’s got great endeavour, he runs to the right places, he tackles... seems to have a knack for kicking goals but most importantly: X-Factor. He makes things happen.

This year, I predict 35 goals and a break out year as one of the best small forwards of the game.
+1 Dunno about 35 goals, but aside from his obvious limitations he was far from our worst player last year, he will benefit from a fitter and more mobile forward line

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

What I liked about his game on the weekend was highlighted by one passage of play - he had no chance of taking the mark - coming from behind - but he competed - (chopped the arms *cough) - and the ball splilled free - we goaled from the ground ball.

Even if he had given away the free - the mark was clearly going to be taken.

He made the effort to compete - there was no resignation to the fact that he would not take the mark.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
DJ Higgins
Club Player

I used to hate him no I don't like him which is progress. Bottom line is last year he couldn't tackle but was instructed to play in a way where defence was paramount. Now he is not playing that way and is better. A lot better. Play players to their strengths not weaknesses

spert
Saintsational Legend

If some of the other players showed the desire and intensity that Lonie did later last season, then I am sure would have won a couple more games. Just makes me wonder why so many played with a lack of desperation in 2018.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Dbl post

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I really don't know how Lonie's career will play out. In his first year he looked like a future champ - he was a creative, skillful, smart small forward who would regularly pull off plays that not many could. His production wasn't great and he clearly needed to build his strength and tank but those things aren't a big concern with a first year player.

However from that point he stagnated, then went backwards. Staging and diving became a major part of his game. He got the yips in front of goal. His tackling became a joke; he'd wrap his arms around players and they'd either execute their disposal without issue or he'd be shrugged off effortlessly. Most of his scoring shots came from terrible free kicks or handball receives in the goal square.

His improved form at the end of last year still had some of those elements. He was very, very lucky to receive a number of free kicks, but the difference was that he was actually converting his shots at goal in the last 4 games of 2018. He kicked 9.1 in that time after kicking 6.14 from 12 games in 2017.

He did look good in the first pre season game but I still have doubts over whether someone of his size and athletic profile can make it in modern footy. He has clearly improved his tank, strength and tackling technique which is exactly what he needed to do - however I'm sure opposition defenders would rather be tasked with shutting down a 174cm player with a pretty slow top speed as opposed to someone like Parker who is lightning quick and 187cm.

I wouldn't pick him in my best 22. But I'm pretty sure he'll be playing in round one.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Only two weeks to go to find out. Pumped

guitars4
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote: Fri 08 Mar 2019 12:08pm I really don't know how Lonie's career will play out. In his first year he looked like a future champ - he was a creative, skillful, smart small forward who would regularly pull off plays that not many could. His production wasn't great and he clearly needed to build his strength and tank but those things aren't a big concern with a first year player.

However from that point he stagnated, then went backwards. Staging and diving became a major part of his game. He got the yips in front of goal. His tackling became a joke; he'd wrap his arms around players and they'd either execute their disposal without issue or he'd be shrugged off effortlessly. Most of his scoring shots came from terrible free kicks or handball receives in the goal square.

His improved form at the end of last year still had some of those elements. He was very, very lucky to receive a number of free kicks, but the difference was that he was actually converting his shots at goal in the last 4 games of 2018. He kicked 9.1 in that time after kicking 6.14 from 12 games in 2017.

He did look good in the first pre season game but I still have doubts over whether someone of his size and athletic profile can make it in modern footy. He has clearly improved his tank, strength and tackling technique which is exactly what he needed to do - however I'm sure opposition defenders would rather be tasked with shutting down a 174cm player with a pretty slow top speed as opposed to someone like Parker who is lightning quick and 187cm.

I wouldn't pick him in my best 22. But I'm pretty sure he'll be playing in round one.
I agree with everything you said but the work rate he showed against the the Roo's was fantastic IMO. His stats won't show it & his disposal was border line but his work ethic is exactly what we need from a small forward . He has set a bench mark & if he can keep it up I am willing to give him a second chance :wink:

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Fairly good I think. He’s always had the skills but the major knock on him has been his small size and lack of strength.

But he’s a persistent little bugga. Every time they drop him he’s in Sandringham’s best couple. Deserves his spot. He’s worked hard enough for it.

Just needs to kick straight and stop the staging for frees

8bloggs
Club Player

He's one of the players who you want to make it but still have doubts it will happen. Attitude and approach since those final 3 rounds last season are encouraging, but he needs to consistently play at that level to retain his spot.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote: Fri 08 Mar 2019 12:08pm I really don't know how Lonie's career will play out. In his first year he looked like a future champ - he was a creative, skillful, smart small forward who would regularly pull off plays that not many could. His production wasn't great and he clearly needed to build his strength and tank but those things aren't a big concern with a first year player.

Much more realistic account of Lonie than the OP.

We all want him to breakout and become a star. Let's see if he has the ethic to make it happen.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

poatina
Club Player

If anyone is watching the practice match this afternoon, look at how many times he knocks the ball out of another player’s hands- he did it a lot last week, it’s quick and very clever and more effective for a turnover than most tackles

GilsAuPair
Club Player

Has barely touched it

bigred
Saintsational Legend

YEah watch the last quarter of the JLT vs dogs.

I am so not a fan.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
BadRossco
Club Player

Has a crack but can't stick a tackle and skills are poor. As a small (miniature) forward must be behind Long, Parker both have more pace and flair. Billings has far more class even if a little timid and Kent is a lot stronger. Throw Newnes, Gresham and possibly Philips and Paton into the mix and Langlands as a smokie things do not look good for Lonie.
Surprised he was given another contract but I guess our recruiters would have probably have picked up another young player with a long term injury ( King & Bytel) in his stead.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

So good to see him come along, he's one of a growing group of players that have improved under Alan.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

A Caleb Daniels he is not. To be the size of Caleb and Jack L you need Caleb's skills and toughness. Jack doesn't, although he is taller notwithstanding Daniels helmet. His manager did an extraordinary job getting a 2 yr contract, albiet against a recruiting team that have hardly shown shrewdness and seem to have more money than sense.

guitars4
Club Player

IMO he let himself down today didn't have the same energy or commitment as last week but you could probably apply that to half the side. A win is a win but the pressure of last week wasn't as sustained today & you need to bring that every game when we are where were at. It will take it's toll over a season when your best weapon is your pressure because as we saw today it is going to be hard to produce it week in & week out for 22 games.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Just too small. Will have some good games, but will ultimately disappoint.

Nee!
GilsAuPair
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote: Sun 10 Mar 2019 8:07pm So good to see him come along, he's one of a growing group of players that have improved under Alan.
LOL

DJ Higgins
Club Player

This year I suspect he will play a few games then go to sandy for good only to return if injuries occur to other small forwards. Parker and Kent appear better already and if we play Sinclair in this position IE where he was classed as elite then he won't get a look in

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Back to his old ways against the Dogs. Staging, diving, missing shots at goal and ineffective tackling. Honestly I'm baffled as to why we gave him 2 years. I have Billings, Gresham, Kent, Long and Parker ahead of him for a spot as a small forward.