Cho setting records!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Cho setting records!

Has there ever been a coach who has coached as many games/seasons as Cho without any finals?!? With the current muppets in charge looks like he’ll clock up 6+ seasons with zero success :shock:

Surely this is a record?!?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
twirlyhair
Club Player

Re: Cho setting records!

Well, if things go the way you want them too, I think it might be time to start running a book on prospective coaches to take over. I think most on here would like to see Ratten take over, but just wondering if you have a list of potential coaches in mind? Ratten might want it, but good chance he doesn't too. In addition, as most assistant coaches also leave when the head coach is sacked, do you have suggestions for assistant coaches? Also just wondering when you think the tipping point is? Should he be sacked now, or after the run of tough matches coming up, or at the end of the season.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Saints need to hold their nerve. We are still 4-3 and can win next week. Geez some supporters can completely lose it...even after 1 loss against a GF contender interstate.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

It’s not after one loss to a good team, it’s after 2 years of stagnating and seeing the same horrible issues over and over again.

I would have sacked him after last season. Sack him as soon as possible (no use hanging on to a dead man walking) and give Ratten the rest of the year as a job interview. If not him then get the best available at the end of the year.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 7:55pm Saints need to hold their nerve. We are still 4-3 and can win next week. Geez some supporters can completely lose it...even after 1 loss against a GF contender interstate.
We are a real chance next week at home against the Eagles, a winnable game against last year's Premiers. Win that and it is still game on.
Two weeks later we play the Blues at home. Win that and we will have won 6 out of 10 and we will be in this season up to our necks.
If we lose both of these, let's worry about it then.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Four wins and a seriously depleted list, the team is going a lot better than most of us may have expected.

Reckon Richardson deserves to be harshly criticized for playing Bruce last week, and for not playing Brown this week.... Oh, and for playing Mav Weller most of last year.... and....yeah...nah...he's not a great coach.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I really can't see us making the finals now and unless the coach totally loses the players, I think it’s not unreasonable to suggest that at the conclusion of this season, the club needs to take a different direction.

Christ, Richo will have been our second longest serving coach ever and that is a good effort, but no appointment is supposed to last forever. The change will be good for Richo as well.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

It wasn’t the loss today, the concern was how easily we were blown away in the first 1/4, how the walked out of stoppages with the ball and scored so readily.

Eerily similar signs to 2018.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
twirlyhair
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 8:04pm It’s not after one loss to a good team, it’s after 2 years of stagnating and seeing the same horrible issues over and over again.

I would have sacked him after last season. Sack him as soon as possible (no use hanging on to a dead man walking) and give Ratten the rest of the year as a job interview. If not him then get the best available at the end of the year.
So, sack him now, appoint Ratten. Who would be your second and third choices if Ratten doesn't want the job? Should the assistant coaches be sacked too? Just wondering if you have thought this far?

ss1986
Club Player

I really cannot understand the fierce defence of the coach. Cos he is a lovely bloke?

What redeeming football feature is there? Seriously.. PLEASE explain where this unwavering support comes from!!?

twirlyhair
Club Player

ss1986 wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 9:00pm I really cannot understand the fierce defence of the coach. Cos he is a lovely bloke?

What redeeming football feature is there? Seriously.. PLEASE explain where this unwavering support comes from!!?
So, sack him now, appoint Ratten. Who would be your second and third choices if Ratten doesn't want the job? Should the assistant coaches be sacked too? Just wondering if you have thought this far?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 might be free

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

What about rodgerfox or Johnny Member?

ss1986
Club Player

I’d quite honestly take any other coach in the AFL right now, including aspiring assistant coaches. Given 6 years, it would be nearly impossible for them to have done worse. In fact, no one else ever has.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Of course that's the argument for why we should vote for team Morrison, life is tough and getting tougher and so much that was good is now stuffed and yes we are corrupt but trust us its as good as it gets (want to buy a bridge?). The question is not who should replace him; its why: after close to a decade with no finals and two comprehensive losses in a row to let us know where we are in the current pecking order and no sign of doing anything remotely like lateral thinking in team positioning/tactics: any rational person might think that sans finals characteristic will not continue if you don't change (x2 negatives for emphasis). And the corollary proposition that Richo is better than most of the field of potential coaches is a big flimsy, don't you think. Perhaps we could run a fun quiz suggesting who might be worse: perhaps Bolton, sure. Watters, yeah, ok. Timmy Watson, Mark Neeld. I agree Richo could give them all a strong positive contest. So lets just carry on steady as she goes...down.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

twirlyhair wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 8:52pm
The_Dud wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 8:04pm It’s not after one loss to a good team, it’s after 2 years of stagnating and seeing the same horrible issues over and over again.

If Ratten doesn’t want it (which I doubt) then give it to one of the other assistants, doesn’t really matter, this year is (another) development year.

I think the rest of the current coaching panel is fine, give them a chance, the last 5 years is not there fault.

And as others have said, Richo’s replacement may or may not be good, but that’s better odds than Richo who we know for a fact is no good.

ss1986
Club Player

The most telling sign, the same way it was when we made the most ludicrous decision in history to extend his contract (until signing DH on 800k a year), is simply this:

Which other AFL club would take Richo, given the chance?

twirlyhair
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 9:31pm

If Ratten doesn’t want it (which I doubt) then give it to one of the other assistants, doesn’t really matter, this year is (another) development year.

I think the rest of the current coaching panel is fine, give them a chance, the last 5 years is not there fault.

And as others have said, Richo’s replacement may or may not be good, but that’s better odds than Richo who we know for a fact is no good.
Well done Dud! What a plan that is! Give it to anyone.....awesome!

Special
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 8:48pm It wasn’t the loss today, the concern was how easily we were blown away in the first 1/4, how the walked out of stoppages with the ball and scored so readily.

Eerily similar signs to 2018.
That first term was amateur hour.

Shows the lack of spine and how the first 5 rounds were a bit of fluff and bubble.

Yes, injuries do give us some excuse re lack of skill, but the piss poor total lack of effort was inexcusable.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

twirlyhair wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 9:34pm

They’re not ‘anyone’, they’re all experienced assistant AFL coaches. And again, couldn’t be any worse that Richo, and could be better!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 9:09pm What about rodgerfox or Johnny Member?
I'd be happy to take the reins but unfortunately I'm not available.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

We obviously should really only be replacing Richo with someone better but if people don't think the club is actively seeking a replacement, then they are kidding themselves.

guitars4
Club Player

Has been a positive start to the season but today was " ground hog day" from last year

twirlyhair
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 9:36pm
twirlyhair wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 9:34pm

They’re not ‘anyone’, they’re all experienced assistant AFL coaches. And again, couldn’t be any worse that Richo, and could be better!
Well unless you name someone (apart from Ratten), then it seems you are not so concerned, as long as it is not Richo hey? So to help you out. Here are the assistant coaches for you. Who should get it? Surely we don't want to be in another pickle in a couple of years time hey?

Brett Ratten - Senior Assistant Coach.
Brendon Lade - Senior Assistant Coach.
Henry Playfair - Senior Assistant Coach (Back Line)
Aaron Hamill - Senior Assistant Coach and Senior Coach of Sandringham Football Club.
Jake Batchelor - Assistant Coach
Ben McGlynn - Assistant Coach
Adam Skrobalak - Assistant Coach
Danny Sexton - Director of Coaching.

Ape_Man
Club Player

Last 5 coaches that lasted more than 2 seasons.

Ken Sheldon: 4 years, 2 finals years.
89 games. 54% win record

Stan Alves: 5 years, 2 finals years.
116 games at 48%

Thomas 5 and a caretaker role: 3 finals years
124 games at 51%

Ross Lyon 5 years and 4 finals years.
121 games at 64%

Alan Richardson 6th year and ZERO finals.
118 or so at 33%

Other than Lyon, we have sacked each one for doing more.

Only St Kilda could do that :)