Sammy's review round 7

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sammy's review round 7

From saints.com.au

David Armitage
17 disposals, four tackles, one goal

“Went down with concussion which was unfortunate for us, halfway through the third. He’ll go through the normal protocol, but he’s been outstanding for us over the past few weeks.”

Hunter Clark
31 disposals, 14 kicks, one goal

“Hunter was very good in what he was able to produce with hand and foot. He had a fair bit of his speed back, looked good inside, good with his hands and he’s a really good decision-maker, so I thought he performed strongly. His confidence today was where it needs to be and his transition work was solid.”

Oscar Clavarino
12 disposals, seven kicks, five marks

“Clav’s second game back, similar to Kingy. Been out for the past ten weeks, first game back last week so he’ll slot in and keep moving forward. There was a lot to like about Oscar’s positioning and we know he didn’t quite clunk every one he went for, but he’s showing some really good signs for us.”

Nick Coffield
22 disposals, 14 kicks, six marks

“We know Nick’s really composed with ball in hand and he makes the right decisions on the whole. He didn’t get everything right, but we’d rather him take the game on and do what he does and it’s really good for his learning and development. He defended well for us and I thought his contest stuff was good, so in all three phases he was solid.”

Nick Hind
22 disposals, 14 kicks, three tackles

“He probably wasn’t as dynamic as what he’s been, Hindy, but he defended strongly and I think his positioning around the stoppage was good for us.”

Darragh Joyce
16 disposals, 16 kicks, eight marks, one goal

“Darragh’s just improving with every game he plays, whether it be VFL or AFL. His game sense is picking up, he’s getting some good output in terms of what he’s been able to do with his positioning around defence, which is a credit to him. Was nice to see Darragh get on the board too!”

Max King
Seven disposals, six marks, four goals

“I liked Kingy’s run and launch, especially when he can time it. Those traits are outstanding, we know his flight at the ball when he launches at the highest peak is pretty special, so I liked that. It’s his second game in, coming in off a knee, so the expectation for him is to just keep improving, keep competing strongly for us, and the marks and the other technical aspects will come.”

Doulton Langlands
15 disposals, six kicks, three marks

“He’s another one who I’d add to that mix where I liked his explosive speed and pace and power. Credit to our rehab guys and the way he’s been able to perform over the past couple of weeks. He’s just another one who’s just got to keep building his confidence and keep trying to maximise his strengths.”

Ben Long
15 disposals, eight kicks, four tackles

“I liked Longy’s game, inside. He contributed really well for us, his aggression was there, his hunt was there, his speed, his tackling, his pressure and his ball use and decision-making was also very good. Played his part strongly.”

Billy Longer
12 disposals, four tackles, 57 hitouts

“Billy competed well against Zac Clarke. I thought some of his inside work was really good for us, he toiled away in there and gave our mids generally first use. We weren’t always able to maximise, but he gave them that opportunity and gave us some good representation down the line.”

Bailey Rice
10 disposals, four tackles, two goals

“Bailey’s work and contest stuff was very good as usual, but for him to hit the scoreboard with two goals was pleasing.”

Sam Rowe
Six disposals, five kicks, two hitouts

“Sam battled on with an AC, but I thought he started really well before hurting his shoulder, which probably brought him back to the pack a little bit. But his timing is starting to get back and his confidence in his body is showing, so I think he’ll take a bit to get going, but I think he’s able to condition himself and the more minutes he plays, the more confident he’ll be.”

Brandon White
21 disposals, 16 kicks, four marks

“Whitey’s been very, very good for us. He’s got really good game sense in the way he’s been able to defend strongly and then use the ball when we need to use it well, whether it be a quick kick, or going lateral or around them. He’s in good form and he put another strong one together.”

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Re: Sammy's review round 7

Clark in. Has to happen.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Josh Battle
Club Player

Half the problem with Clark going out in round 3-4 and coming back in for a game or 2 and then going back to the VFL and then you put him back to the seniors is that it unbalances the kid and unbalances the team

Decide as a coaching team whether Clark is part of the future. If he is and if you belive that the original reasons for recruiting the kid are still valid and if he is showing every indication of progressing as a player, then why worry about a loss here and there in 2019.

Make a decision and have some balls and have some discipline and bloody well stick with it. He can have a few bad games but it's about building belief in a core group that includes Clark and they can take the team forward for the next five years and hopefully we play finals and become contenders.

barneyboyz
Club Player

Josh Battle wrote: Wed 22 May 2019 12:40am Half the problem with Clark going out in round 3-4 and coming back in for a game or 2 and then going back to the VFL and then you put him back to the seniors is that it unbalances the kid and unbalances the team

Decide as a coaching team whether Clark is part of the future. If he is and if you belive that the original reasons for recruiting the kid are still valid and if he is showing every indication of progressing as a player, then why worry about a loss here and there in 2019.

Make a decision and have some balls and have some discipline and bloody well stick with it. He can have a few bad games but it's about building belief in a core group that includes Clark and they can take the team forward for the next five years and hopefully we play finals and become contenders.
But then of course, we have a coach that MUST win games to survive, catch 22 for him

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

WHat saints fan seriously would rather Ross or Dunstan in the middle all game getting 30 and butchering compared to Clark who will get 23-5 but looks like he will be class? Seriously?!

freely
SS Hall of Fame

His body isn't up to it week in, week out. What saints fan seriously would cripple him in the middle rather than let him time out in the twos, build confidence, then come back for more?

DJ Higgins
Club Player

freely wrote: Wed 22 May 2019 9:30am His body isn't up to it week in, week out. What saints fan seriously would cripple him in the middle rather than let him time out in the twos, build confidence, then come back for more?
Completely agree, he is still a kid who is getting knocked around by men each week and his body needs to recover. I have no issue with him going up for a few games and then getting managed.

Not getting overly excited by four goals to king is a good sign and he didn't kick a lot of clunkers either but he needs to get thicker before he plays AFL as he is thin. I'd say no AFL this year, get a preseason in him then unleash him next year

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Hope Clark just keeps building from here. Max King.... such a delicious prospect!

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Patience.....Clark has plenty of ability, but is lacking the physical strength required to put up with the punishment of week in, week out AFL pressure. I'm happy for him to spend more time building on his game and physique. We''ve burnt young players in the past, so I'd prefer the cautious approach if it's beneficial to the player

Josh Battle
Club Player

barneyboyz wrote: Wed 22 May 2019 8:48am
Josh Battle wrote: Wed 22 May 2019 12:40am Half the problem with Clark going out in round 3-4 and coming back in for a game or 2 and then going back to the VFL and then you put him back to the seniors is that it unbalances the kid and unbalances the team

But then of course, we have a coach that MUST win games to survive, catch 22 for him
I'm tipping Clark will play with Sandy again this week.

I'm tipping Newnsey will get about 15 touches and retain his spot in the team for at least another 3 matches regardless of form. Kent and Parker will each kick a goal and retain their spots for another week and Gresh will flash in and out of the game and burn his team mates on several occasions. Sebby to get 25 touches with about half his kicks missing the mark, getting smothered or going to the opposition

Saints by 11 points in a close one. ParquetrySainter will be saying 'told ya', 'everything's on track' and Richo is a good coach

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Time to get yourself a new team, Josh.

barneyboyz
Club Player

Josh Battle wrote: Fri 24 May 2019 12:48am

I'm tipping Newnsey will get about 15 touches and retain his spot in the team for at least another 3 matches regardless of form. Kent and Parker will each kick a goal and retain their spots for another week and Gresh will flash in and out of the game and burn his team mates on several occasions. Sebby to get 25 touches with about half his kicks missing the mark, getting smothered or going to the opposition

Saints by 11 points in a close one. ParquetrySainter will be saying 'told ya', 'everything's on track' and Richo is a good coach
Agree, Clark was buggered after a couple of his early games and still looks a while off. Newnes is a bit of a difficult one for me, I would be putting him on notice, absolutely has to get more physical. Kent looks much better up the ground as he, Gresh and Parker seem to trip over the ball a lot under pressure inside 50. Gresh just needs to keep getting game time to build the tank.

I expect to win and win big, our last 4 games were against sides that move the ball really well. Carlton could and mostly will put real pressure on us, especially early, but should not be able to sustain. Some of these blokes just mentioned are due for big games. Parker will love this Sunday's game and could kick a bag

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
Josh Battle
Club Player

barneyboyz wrote: Fri 24 May 2019 11:12am
Josh Battle wrote: Fri 24 May 2019 12:48am

Agree, Clark was buggered after a couple of his early games and still looks a while off. Newnes is a bit of a difficult one for me, I would be putting him on notice, absolutely has to get more physical. Kent looks much better up the ground as he, Gresh and Parker seem to trip over the ball a lot under pressure inside 50. Gresh just needs to keep getting game time to build the tank.

I expect to win and win big, our last 4 games were against sides that move the ball really well. Carlton could and mostly will put real pressure on us, especially early, but should not be able to sustain. Some of these blokes just mentioned are due for big games. Parker will love this Sunday's game and could kick a bag
Let's hope you're right and we smash them. Will be a good confidence boost for the boys

By the way, I disagree on Clark and would prefer he learns on the job in the seniors. I think it makes sense (Chris Judd calls it team cohesion) to play with the guys that he'll be playing with for years to come, rather than with Sandringham.