AFL Overkill

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bruce G McAbee
SS Hall of Fame

AFL Overkill

Have you seen the AFL orange shirts walking up and down the aisle just in case someone says a naughty word.
Very Orwellian and AFL better be careful because I could see a lawsuit coming from this against them.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
Special
Club Player

Re: AFL Overkill

Time for Gil to eff off.

The <edited by mods> is killing our game.

<1 day ban for breaching swear rule>

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Disgraceful.

Gilligan needs to deal with it real quick. Don't want those AIG Goons in visy vests getting in my face next week.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

In my opinion, cretins that go to the footy each week and carry on like fools deserve to be embarrassed.

There actually should be a law against adults wearing footy jumpers in my opinion.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Ridiculous overreaction.

Who draws the line on what can and can’t be said?

Completely impractical and unworkable.

I hope the AFL are blasted for this.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
portosaint
Club Player

A direct result of society today. Softly softly.

The world is a model of political correctness gone wrong. Heck, even the vegans can stop the city in its tracks because, lo and behold, some people in this free world still choose to dine carnivorously. I use the word "free" very loosely.

Note: I apologise sincerely if I directly, or indirectly, hurt anyone's feelings in this post. Poor sods.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

portosaint wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 12:24am A direct result of society today. Softly softly.

The world is a model of political correctness gone wrong. Heck, even the vegans can stop the city in its tracks because, lo and behold, some people in this free world still choose to dine carnivorously. I use the word "free" very loosely.

Note: I apologise sincerely if I directly, or indirectly, hurt anyone's feelings in this post. Poor sods.
?

Are you saying you're offended by the AFL's stance on this?

Aren't they free to decide whatever the f*** they want?

The same as you think you should be free to be a dick at the footy and say whatever you feel like?

BarryGrogan
Club Player

portosaint wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 12:24am A direct result of society today. Softly softly.

And in a free world, why can't the vegans say what they want, and protest?

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I got your back Special

Gil can go and get f***ed
He’s f****** the game

portosaint
Club Player

BarryGrogan wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 12:35am

And in a free world, why can't the vegans say what they want, and protest?
I think you missed the point. They are free to say what they want, just as the carnivores are free to eat meat. Get it?? Eat what YOU want and give others the freedom to feed themselves how THEY choose.

Do you eat what you're told to Barry? Or do you eat what you like to eat??

portosaint
Club Player

BarryGrogan wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 12:34am

?

Are you saying you're offended by the AFL's stance on this?

Aren't they free to decide whatever the f*** they want?

The same as you think you should be free to be a dick at the footy and say whatever you feel like?
No, I'm not offended. I'm saying its an example of society today.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

We need fans from all clubs to unite and boycott 1 or 2 rounds by not going !
If no one was to turn up then gil would get the message.
After all part of his multi million dollar bonus each year relies on the crowd figures. So if hundreds of thousands don't show it may hurt his hip pocket .
And so the clubs aren't worse off . We fans could donate five bucks to our clubs .
$5 from 10000 saints fans next week would probably be more than the club would get as revenue from the stadium any way.

In red white and black from 73
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 1:10am
$5 from 10000 saints fans next week would probably be more than the club would get as revenue from the stadium any way.
LOL - could also use it as a stance against selection policy - lol!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Crossy66
Club Player

Its something unique to footy that no one questions. When fans started getting thrown out for abusing umpires my first reaction was that it was crap. But the problem is, that umpires are employees, and they have a right to go to work without facing a barrage of abuse as they go about doing their jobs. almost every free kick is cheered by 50% and booed by the the other 50% - they cant win.
Can you imagine if the behaviour at the various footy codes was replicated at other sports such as Basketball, Netball, Athletics, Synchronised swimming that it would be tolerated? I can remember back in the 80's how we treated Indigenous players, with the four quarter abuse coming from the cage and every other footy ground. We thought that was ok at the time, but now look back and realise otherwise.

I imagine that the treatment of umpires has come under scrutiny as part of a wider issue highlighted by recent fights in and out of footy grounds. They are tightening up on people that go to the footy and cant control themselves.

HighettMan
Club Player

So many haters just looking to be outraged.

Behave yourself and it's not a problem.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Jillian has pulled the wrong rein on this one.

I see the league has employed “behavioural awareness officers” to patrol the crowd. What is this, Stalinist Russia?

Calling a maggot out for being green is perfectly acceptable :lol:

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

People who don't care about freedom of speech have nothing to say.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 9:09am Its something unique to footy that no one questions. When fans started getting thrown out for abusing umpires my first reaction was that it was crap. But the problem is, that umpires are employees, and they have a right to go to work without facing a barrage of abuse as they go about doing their jobs. almost every free kick is cheered by 50% and booed by the the other 50% - they cant win.
Can you imagine if the behaviour at the various footy codes was replicated at other sports such as Basketball, Netball, Athletics, Synchronised swimming that it would be tolerated? I can remember back in the 80's how we treated Indigenous players, with the four quarter abuse coming from the cage and every other footy ground. We thought that was ok at the time, but now look back and realise otherwise.

I imagine that the treatment of umpires has come under scrutiny as part of a wider issue highlighted by recent fights in and out of footy grounds. They are tightening up on people that go to the footy and cant control themselves.
Well said.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

SaintPav wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 10:25am People who don't care about freedom of speech have nothing to say.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

If you can’t manage to go to the footy without spewing vile abuse then I think the problem is with you, not the AFL.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 11:41am If you can’t manage to go to the footy without spewing vile abuse then I think the problem is with you, not the AFL.
How do you know it's only limited to vile abuse? How is abuse defined precisely? Who decides?

The AFL are also in denial that the security set up has changed but it clearly has.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

SaintPav wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 11:58am
The_Dud wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 11:41am If you can’t manage to go to the footy without spewing vile abuse then I think the problem is with you, not the AFL.
How do you know it's only limited to vile abuse? How is abuse defined precisely? Who decides?

The AFL are also in denial that the security set up has changed but it clearly has.
There's a small but significant difference between being "in denial" and "denying"...I believe the AFL is guilty of the latter.........

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Crossy66 wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 9:09am Its something unique to footy that no one questions. When fans started getting thrown out for abusing umpires my first reaction was that it was crap. But the problem is, that umpires are employees, and they have a right to go to work without facing a barrage of abuse as they go about doing their jobs. almost every free kick is cheered by 50% and booed by the the other 50% - they cant win.

You're right Umpires are well paid employees. Unlike other well paid employees, they don't get sacked for poor performance or incompetence. Most of them are poor performers and incompetent.

In the context of an elite sporting event, in front of big passionate crowds, if Umpires cannot cop "boos" or heckling, then they do not have the temperament for the job.

The Umpire that had that supporter thrown out last week is one of the poorest.

I and many other people will not cop a team of Door Bitches in visy vests, patrolling the aisles at the Footy searching out people using robust language.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Goose is king wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 12:48am I got your back Special

Gil can go and get f***ed
He’s f****** the game
Poor special got a ban for breaching the swear rule.

I guess the mod supports Gil!!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

No, that’s not the issue. That’s part of supporting and Gil can go f*** himself if he think he can stop us.

All the f*** wit wants to do is stop crowd violence and he thinks he has to do this step to stop that.

The silly prick is addicted to allowing grog to be sold so this is the net result in some instances.

IMO physical violence should mean a life ban. No it’s or buts. Do your campaign on that not these silly send an SMS if someone says something you don’t like security gaurds.

So if you have an opposition fan you don’t like you just cry to MummaGIl and send your SMS and get him/her booted out. Cry me a f****** river.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.