Did Dean Robinson's involvement with the Geelong FC

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Did Dean Robinson's involvement with the Geelong FC

ultimately led to us losing the 2009 premiership?

If you listen to the Guy McKenna podcast the answer would have to be yes.

From the herald sun.com

"Sacked podcast: Ex-Gold Coast coach Guy McKenna reveals how club dodged an Essendon-style ASADA bullet

Ex-Gold Coast Suns coach Guy McKenna has revealed how the fledgling AFL franchise avoided an Essendon-style ASADA saga.
Herald Sun

A candid Guy McKenna has revealed how Gold Coast dodged a similar bullet to the ASADA drugs saga which embroiled Essendon during his time at the expansion club.

Former Suns coach McKenna told the SACKED podcast he had issues with ex-Gold Coast strength and conditioning coach Dean Robinson and Stephen Dank, who was briefly employed by the Suns.

SUBSCRIBE TO THE SACKED PODCAST HERE

Robinson and Dank would reunite at Essendon and oversee the club’s 2012 supplements program, which resulted in the suspension of 34 players for a year and rocked the AFL.

“We brought him (Robinson) on obviously because of his record down at Geelong,” McKenna said.

“That was a fairly short term of employment up on the Gold Coast because there were certain conversations held with me …

“My simple response (to him) was ‘We are funded by $100 million by the AFL, mate. We can’t be seen to be bending or breaking a rule, so whatever we use with our players, it has to be on the green tick list. Simple’.

In a strange twist, McKenna was an assistant coach at the Bombers when the ASADA ban was handed down.

FROM OUR PARTNERS

Must-see new two-part crime investigation exposing the double life of corrupt ‘Lawyer X’. 22nd July 8pm AEST on Sky News

McKenna also went into detail about the bizarre press conference after he was axed, the failed experiment with former NRL player Karmichael Hunt and marquee Sun Gary Ablett’s time in Queensland.

“I never got to see Leigh Matthews, who was voted and revered as the best player and coach, and all that sort of stuff. I played around (the time of) Gary Ablett Sr, and he was a freak as a full-forward,” he said.

“Forwards are great, but a midfielder has to go and find his pill. For Gary (Jr) to do that, and deliver it in the manner he delivers it in, I have never seen that before.

“He’s a clear No.1.”

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Re: Did Dean Robinson's involvement with the Geelong FC

Interesting that an Eagle from the "supercharged era" of WA football took the moral high ground against Robinson & Dank.

Good on him for booting them from the Suns.

Definitely taints the Cats era under Pruneface and the Weapon :roll:

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

It is hard to believe Robinson just started this "technique" at the GC. Surely he was brought there to manage the same program successfully used at Geelong. The exception being McKenna, without a prior understanding of exactly what it entailed, didn't like what he saw.

Then Thompson is back at Essendon and says to James, "I know this bloke..." & the rest is history, now prior history.

barneyboyz
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Mon 22 Jul 2019 2:53pm It is hard to believe Robinson just started this "technique" at the GC. Surely he was brought there to manage the same program successfully used at Geelong. The exception being McKenna, without a prior understanding of exactly what it entailed, didn't like what he saw.

Then Thompson is back at Essendon and says to James, "I know this bloke..." & the rest is history, now prior history.
And Jimmy already knew the supplier!

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

For starters Chapman won the Norm Smith Medal after needing an injection to play the game.

Twelve months later the substance he was injected with that got him up for the game was banned and deemed to be performance enhancing.

Dean Robinson and Bomber Thompson running things at Geelong in 2009.
Do the maths and you'll see the squares are all rooted.

AND furthermore

With Sean Ryan who grew up supporting Geelong as a kid not paying obvious free kicks to Schneider when had his jumped pulled back as far as Lennox street around 20 minutes into the last quarter and Riewoldt late in the game 28 minutes into the last quarter when Taylor put one hand on his shoulder with Scarlett jumping into him from front on with no eyes for the ball in the goal square with scores level and a Hawkins goal which hit the post and a subsequent centre clearance that resulted in another Geelong goal within twenty seconds of the goal umpiring error you'd have too say no team in the history of VFL/AFL history got shafted more in a Grand Final than St.kilda in 2009.

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Farken ridicularse

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
spert
Saintsational Legend

Just me, but I have no doubt that Geelong somehow got away with it in 2007 more so than 2009. It was obvious looking at some of their players bodies from early in the season when they were ordinary to after their review during the season and the sudden improvement in form, lack of injuries, miracle recovery from injuries...eventual premiership.