Why the login?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Don't 90% of the trolls lose interest after a while and simply go away?

You will never stop trolls by restricting access to the forum: unless you put so many barriers in the way that you will drive most of the genuine members away as well.

The best thing to do with trolls is not to respond to their posts. If we could all do this, they will quickly lose interest.

I have another suggestion: limit the access of all trolls to just the Opposition and General Sports Discussion Forum. That would soon quickly them away!! :wink:

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Rosco
Club Player

possible remedy:

- lock the current registration process

- ban anyone currently known to be a troll

- open registration up for one day per month (e.g. the 1st of the month). need to clearly indicate this somewhere though, perhaps on a page which you go to when you click "Registration". this allows genuine supporters a way in. if they are found to be trolls (not too hard to figure out) ban them. they will have to wait another month to get back in.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

how big an issue is it

i think forcing people to log into the forum everytime will be deterrent enough... it gets rid of those people that come have a look whenever we play their team and troll after seeing a comment they don't like

it's a lot more effort to register amd log in every time

personally I think this forum doesn't really have many trolls anyway

+ when they do... we have enough nasty edge forumites to scare them away

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:how big an issue is it

i think forcing people to log into the forum everytime will be deterrent enough... it gets rid of those people that come have a look whenever we play their team and troll after seeing a comment they don't like

it's a lot more effort to register amd log in every time

personally I think this forum doesn't really have many trolls anyway

+ when they do... we have enough nasty edge forumites to scare them away
Troll alert.

saintphantom
Club Player

SENsaintsational wrote:Totally disagree with suggestions of making this a members only site. You would alienate any people not financially fortunate enough to be members for a start.

This is an unofficial fan site. And should be just that.

Unless you start charging people to be a member to this site, that's another issue.

One way to stop or reduce trolls is to ask for a genuine IP address when signing up. Don't accept the generic hotmail, gmail and the like email addresses. Trolls will be less inclined to use a traceable email address.
I am a Forum Admin (on a totally unrelated footy site).

We are not accepting any new registrations without an invite code from current Posters. Each person on here can be given 5 invite codes to distribute. Once used up they can apply for more.

May be something the mods could look into.

Eric Bana Saints Supporter 'Says it all'

'big fucker passes it to the little Fucker, then back to the...f*** I hate it when they do that'
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Are trolls really a problem. To me they are just like sitting next to the opposition at the footy. Its all fun IMO. Does this also me you cant look at the site if you arent a member. To me that is way over the top.

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Are trolls really a problem. To me they are just like sitting next to the opposition at the footy. Its all fun IMO. Does this also me you cant look at the site if you arent a member. To me that is way over the top.
They're only a problem if people make them a problem.

They walk amongst us...

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Are trolls really a problem. To me they are just like sitting next to the opposition at the footy. Its all fun IMO. Does this also me you cant look at the site if you arent a member. To me that is way over the top.
Except the opposition at the footy normally don't drape themselves in our colours and pretend to support us. :wink:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Except the opposition at the footy normally don't drape themselves in our colours and pretend to support us. :wink:
That makes it even more fun.

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Dr Spaceman wrote:
How do you knwo that they dont :wink: :wink: :wink:

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

stkildathunda wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Your previous comment was much better than this!

They walk amongst us...

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

HSVKing wrote:
stkildathunda wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Agree. It was certainly more colourful :D

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

HSVKing wrote:
stkildathunda wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: yes i know but thought id take the high road and edit it :wink:

Ten Fourteen

Well I guess the login might flush a few more supporters like myself out who are regular Saintsational readers but non contributors. Looking forward to tossing my ten bobs worth in from now on!

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Dr Spaceman wrote:
HSVKing wrote:
stkildathunda wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
8-) wonder if any GWS supporters will come over in their orange hats :wink:

PLUGGER14
Club Player

stkildathunda wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
HSVKing wrote:
stkildathunda wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
8-) wonder if any GWS supporters will come over in their orange hats :wink:
Look up ^

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Ten Fourteen wrote:Well I guess the login might flush a few more supporters like myself out who are regular Saintsational readers but non contributors. Looking forward to tossing my ten bobs worth in from now on!
I'm in the same boat 10 14. Have happily read posts for years now without being a member. Love the info and the laughs. Stressed a bit today when I couldn't get on.
Found the process of joining quite easy. Only took a few minutes. Easy to see how trolls can get pretty easy access.

Hi everyone new, look forward to hearing from ya'll 8-)

Ten Fourteen

8856brother wrote:
Ten Fourteen wrote:Well I guess the login might flush a few more supporters like myself out who are regular Saintsational readers but non contributors. Looking forward to tossing my ten bobs worth in from now on!
I'm in the same boat 10 14. Have happily read posts for years now without being a member. Love the info and the laughs. Stressed a bit today when I couldn't get on.
Found the process of joining quite easy. Only took a few minutes. Easy to see how trolls can get pretty easy access.
Yeh, much the same brother. Always enjoy watching a Saints game and following the match thread at the same time. Comforting knowing I'm not the only one going through 27 different emotions in 2 hours!

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Ten Fourteen wrote:
8856brother wrote:
Yeh, much the same brother. Always enjoy watching a Saints game and following the match thread at the same time. Comforting knowing I'm not the only one going through 27 different emotions in 2 hours!
Yeah it's hard work. Kind of looking forward to some stress free weekends. But wont take long before the cricket is boring and am hanging out for some footy.

I think locking the forum to members only is a crazy idea. I check this forum on my phone a lot and each time you have to log in. Given im on Vodafone half the time my phone browser times out cause of bad reception.

Not sure if there are others in that boat but its damn annoying. Also, it will stop new posters signing up. People who have never seen Saintsational before wont be able to browse around and have a look before they decide if they want to sign up or not.

On one of the first pages someone mentioned the idea that you have to be a St Kilda member to view the pages, i reckon this aint a bad idea actually. Is there anyway we could make this happen?

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

Ajer wrote:Is there anyway we could make this happen?
No.

They walk amongst us...

PLUGGER14
Club Player

HSVKing wrote:
alex_quick wrote:i definitely support including membership details into the registration process.

do we really have such a problem with trolls? i can't say i've actually noticed..
As previously mentioned...

We are not part of the Football Club, so we cannot gain the confidential information to get names and membership numbers to confirm peoples identity.

Why do people not read? (Also funny that it's coming from someone who just recently joined up).
Ajer read this.

Ajer
Club Player

Well what about some kind of cookie that tracks page loads? Once you visit 5 threads it makes it bring up a screen asking you to either register or login to continue viewing the forum?

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

Ajer wrote:Well what about some kind of cookie that tracks page loads? Once you visit 5 threads it makes it bring up a screen asking you to either register or login to continue viewing the forum?
Delete cookies, keep viewing. No point.

They walk amongst us...