Robert Harvey walks out!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Just another B4E opportunity to slam the board ... We know nothing about what bangers is thinking .. He mAy have been told he needs more experience at this stage to be a senior coach and he may be tossing up if it's better to get that experience at St Kilda or at another club ... He wants to be a senior coach you can't blame him for wanting to do the best thing for him to get to that goal.. Did we all sook when Spud went to Richmond ? Or when spud hired Loewe as a tigers assistant ? Do we hear collingwood people complaining about Burns working at WCE ? Sriously saints fans are such negative nancys especially those who blame Maxy for 2010

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Whatever hppens, don't have a go at Harvs....short memories if people think he hasn't shown his quality and loyalty to our club.

Nee!
doggerel
Club Player

I think the Pies would be a good move for Rob. Buckley rates him, always has. Whenever Buckley is asked about the best players he played against, he says Harvey. I think there is a good deal of mutual respect between those guys and they would make a good team.

A successful period at the Pies would really set Rob up to have proper crack at a senior post in the next few years. I wish him well.

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
Sobraz
SS Life Member

If Watters appoints Dean Laidley as assistant, will he continue to Skype coach like he was at Port seeing Seaford is also so far away??

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

ThePunter wrote:According to some supporters, the previous regime was a disaster. We didn't win a premiership, and didn't develop any youngsters.

According to these same people, the changing of this regime is now a disaster.
Harves was not part of the old regime. Only got back from the Blues last year. Secondly noone says the last regime was a disaster. Peeople say the last regime was a success BUT that it did not sufficiently or adequately plan for the future and that it could have kept planning despite "contending".

Buckets
SS Life Member

So is this fact??? Or just the ramblings of the sites Rambling man?

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
dragit
Saintsational Legend

What harves needs to realise is how much interview/presentation experience his competition have had, hinkley & Richardson particularly would be pretty ready for any question by now.

You don't always get the gig in your first shot, even if you are a club favourite...

He'll learn more from moving around a few clubs anyway, he should go for any other head coach positions that come up too, the more he does, the better he'll get.

He's a great man and we'll always love him...

westy
Club Player

Am I blind or something, but I can't seem to find any news outlet stating factually that Harvey has left. That includes, The Age, HeraldSun, Australian, Facebook, Twitter and my dear Aunt Fanny. Have we all been conned?

I'm livin' in a madhouse
markp
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
St Chris wrote:In the cold light of day, I'm happy he wasn't treated any differently to any other candidate. If he'd been given the senior job, the assumption would have been he was favoured in the process.

I liked Watters' thoughts, that he took confidence from being selected, due to the process that was undertaken. I like that thinking.

I don't know if Harvey felt any sort of entitlement to the job, but I'm not convinced he feels animosity towards the club.

He just moves on to the next job, much the same as every other assistant coach does these days.
THIS :)
Well they picked him so he would say that! :wink:

And let's face it, they took a month to make the safe decision everyone was expecting and pundits were recommending from day one.

From what I've been hearing, (and I hope I'm wrong) I'm personally tipping if Harvs is allowed to walk out because he feels disrespected (this is the main issue, not him getting the gig or not), the board better buckle-up.

Hopefully it can still be sorted.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Good luck, Harves!

Even if you are going to the Filth, we still love you.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
fingers
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
fingers wrote:
markp wrote:I blame Lyon.

Someone help me figure out why....
Because it's easier to blame Lyon than to actually admit that maybe our Robert Harvey wasn't up to the top job and has cracked the sh1ts or has decided to expand his horizons.
Or he was treated shabbily, and really had no option.

Possible?... Yes.

And my mail tells me that's the case.

Add everything up over the last couple of months and it seems pretty obvious that there's something rotten in the state of denmark, but most are refusing to acknowledge it.

So it seems Harvey is a sook... a traitor... or money hungry?

Any chance Lyon or Walsh were just 'expanding their horizons'?... Nup, Lyon is a greedy liar and Walsh was treated badly and did the only thing he could.
Interesting as I am hearing other things.

Are you suggesting he was treated poorly under Lyon or through the process?

No chance Lyon is expanding his horizons - he simply took a better paying job.

Walsh decided to cut and run to a better paid option and after a frustrating 2 years - regrettable but understandable.

I don't really get your point on Harvey?

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

Re: Robert Harvey walks out!

barks4eva wrote:Gone to the Filth

Joining the list

Lyon
Misson
Berkohov
Walsh

Obviously Seaford is becoming an issue :)

Lyon - No great loss, not proven he can develope players, shafted us. Got Watters now in any case who has a decent pedigree and good reputation in the footy world.

Misson - Watters has stated plenty of good applicants to choose from.

Berkohov - Who? Berbakov is easily replaced.

Walsh - Disappointing but we've got 2 picks for a bloke whose never played an AFL game. Hopefully Walsh will be the next Setanta, hopeless.
Last edited by Little Dozer on Wed 19 Oct 2011 2:49pm, edited 1 time in total.

derby Street
Club Player

It was reported that Rob was given feedback as to where his application fell short and what he needed to do to remedy that - at the time he was appreciative. I suggest that one scenario maybe that he needs to gain other skill sets. Perhaps these weren't available at the saints, he may also consider he will get better development / opportinities at the other mob.
Rest assured he will always be a Saint.

saint6709
Club Player

If he goes its probably a good move - will walk back in as senior coach in 2016

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

can we please have 'Rumour' placed at the thread heading- no new information provided by OP. other than the misleading ( and even that's not alluded to) headline in the H-S

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
asiu
Saintsational Legend

The gop is being used ... to run up a kite.

Visionary ... my hairy pink arse.

... just a naughty boy with tin ears.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
markp
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:
markp wrote:
fingers wrote:
markp wrote:I blame Lyon.

Someone help me figure out why....
Because it's easier to blame Lyon than to actually admit that maybe our Robert Harvey wasn't up to the top job and has cracked the sh1ts or has decided to expand his horizons.
Or he was treated shabbily, and really had no option.

Possible?... Yes.

And my mail tells me that's the case.

Add everything up over the last couple of months and it seems pretty obvious that there's something rotten in the state of denmark, but most are refusing to acknowledge it.

So it seems Harvey is a sook... a traitor... or money hungry?

Any chance Lyon or Walsh were just 'expanding their horizons'?... Nup, Lyon is a greedy liar and Walsh was treated badly and did the only thing he could.
Interesting as I am hearing other things.

Are you suggesting he was treated poorly under Lyon or through the process?

No chance Lyon is expanding his horizons - he simply took a better paying job.

Walsh decided to cut and run to a better paid option and after a frustrating 2 years - regrettable but understandable.

I don't really get your point on Harvey?
I'm suggesting that getting to the position of being gazumped by freo was a failure by the club.... similar with Walsh and the swines... and if Harvs walks out feeling disrespected (in the handling of the process) it would be absolutely appalling.

Everyone wants to either blame the person who's leaving or someone who's already left.... I'm suggesting maybe the fault lies with people who are still there.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:Source??

Typical of all of your posts B4E... utter bullcrap!

Yes he most probably will walk, but as yet he hasnt so your statement is simply untrue.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Harvey is gone already so the statement is in FACT true!

I posted that Scott Watters is the new coach with a three year deal six days before it was officially announced.

My psychic vision is impeccable!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

On 15th September Ross Lyon suddenly and unexpectedly quit as St Kilda coach. We know this was sudden as his Agents had just informed the club he had accepted their latest offer and didn't know he'd been negotiating with Freo behind their backs.

The club was stung and their members in shock. This happened only hours before The Footy Show was due to go to air and already the likes of Hutchy were lurking in the dimly lit Seaford carpark.

The club, perhaps in a move to appease fans, promptly appoints favourite son Robert Harvey as caretaker coach. This makes sense as he's a club legend who is already on the ground at Seaford.

But at the same time the club publicly states its intention to search Australia wide for a replacement for Ross. It will be an extensive process and will take as long as it will takes. The Saints will get the best coach out there.

So tell me, why does Robert Harvey think he's got the gig?

The club compiles a list of applicants who will be interviewed. Among those is Harvey, who has never previously expressed in public a desire to be a Senior AFL coach.  The list is whittled down to 3. The club decides there is no point asking Harvey to do a second interview, instead settling on the far more experienced trio of Watters, Hinkley and Richardson.

Rob is given some feedback and almost immediately stories start appearing in the media suggesting he's p!ssed off and will be leaving the club. And, following the appointment of Scott Watters, that's where this still sits.

None of us were on the interview panel and none of us are privy to the feedback he got after it. No doubt it pointed out a few shortcomings on this, his first shot at a senior coaching role. Would it have been better if the club had said "great application Harves but we're going to go with one of the other blokes"? What's the point of feedback if it's not honest?

And just as none of us were involved in the process, none of us have heard directly from the club legend. 

So perhaps it would be wise to take a deep breath and sit back until things become a little clearer.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

I hope he gets his vaccinations

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

barks4eva wrote:
FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:Source??

Typical of all of your posts B4E... utter bullcrap!

Yes he most probably will walk, but as yet he hasnt so your statement is simply untrue.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Harvey is gone already so the statement is in FACT true!

I posted that Scott Watters is the new coach with a three year deal six days before it was officially announced.

My psychic vision is impeccable!
Wow You're awesome!! :roll:

And please stop saying that Berba left because of Seaford that is a blatant lie!

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

IluvHarvey wrote: You're awesome!!
Thanks, I know!

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

If Rob Harvey wants to be the next coach of St.Kilda, what would be the better path?

1) to stay at the Saints as an assistant, or

2) to go to another successful club, expand his repertoire and reputation, then return as the prodigal son.

IMHO option 2 would make him much more likely to eventually coach the Saints.

If he has indeed left, then I hope he goes well wherever he is, wish him all the best, and hope he returns to the club in the future in some capacity.

As for those calling him a sook, he is a legend of the club, and has contributed far more than any of us keyboard legends have.

And possibly even more than plugger66 and Barks4neva.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

FAIR DINKUM FLOWERING NIMBATS THOSE PEOPLE ON THE BOARD.

RIX ROX RUX

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
GSG
Club Player

St Ick wrote:Yeah, definitely Seaford... Harves saw the town and was shocked I heard, couldn't understand why anyone would ever be associated with Seaford...

IF true, is a bit of a kick in the guts. Was bad enough seeing Banger in a Carlton top, now Filth? Obviously very very disappointed at not getting the coaching role.
What absolute nonsense. I could not imagine that Harves would say something like this. He grew up in Seaford and cut his footy teeth on the Seaford Tigers. He's much too much a nice person to bad-mouth the place he grew up in.
Unless somebody can tell me that he's heard him say.