the other side of football- - Jarryd Allen

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: the other side of football- - Jarryd Allen

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:On the radio in Perth Tim Gosich interviewed Emma and she elaborated on this some more .. Basically the club once they found out he was done and dusted as a player forgot he existed making life hard for him .. In contrast the young Collingwood boy was very well looked after with the Pies giving him a job at the club to keep him involved ( they had him as the runner in the G/F )

It's storys like this that I feel sick about our club .. It doesn't cost anything to treat people decently yes it's a cut throat industry but a bit of care compassion and support go's a long way ..

good post mate...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:On the radio in Perth Tim Gosich interviewed Emma and she elaborated on this some more .. Basically the club once they found out he was done and dusted as a player forgot he existed making life hard for him .. In contrast the young Collingwood boy was very well looked after with the Pies giving him a job at the club to keep him involved ( they had him as the runner in the G/F )

It's storys like this that I feel sick about our club .. It doesn't cost anything to treat people decently yes it's a cut throat industry but a bit of care compassion and support go's a long way ..
Yes it does make you feel sick.

But what will make me feel even sicker is if they don't do something about it now.

Better late than never. :(

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote: Better late than never. :(
This!

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

I heard the same story about one of the NSW scholarship players today - very disappointing behavior from the club.

Injured, identified as not going to make it during the 2 year stint and not supported in the way the club should have. Hopefully things have changed since then but it's clear the club had some issues with the way in which it handled its developing talent.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Scott has been big since arriving, on making the players better young men...off field...this is a perfect example of where they were falling short.

Personally, I'd like to see this acknowledged, and a public apology issued to Jarryd.

Regardless if it was previous staff/admin responsible, it would show the club has grown up a bit in this respect to still attempt to make it right.
Agree but my guess is if we've done this on this occasion.... it's not the first time and I suspect the minute the club publicly apologizes and offers Jarryd any firm of compensation.... out will roll 50 others arguing same. It's the price you pay for incompetence over a long period..

Still something ought be done.... even privately and publicly the message moving forward has to be that we treat our players - past and present - much better than this.

In an age where you need to differentiate yourself from the pack to attract talent I would've thought this was an area we could exploit and excel in - it doesn't have to cost a bomb, but little things after a player leaves us can make a world of difference and provide a different public image of the St Kilda FC

“Yeah….nah””
Saints43
Club Player

Didn’t Westaway and Nettlefold recently make contact with (and make a presentation to?) all living ex-players to try and bring together the St Kilda family.

A great initiative like that is brought undone when a courageous player like Allen is injured out of the game and we don’t ensure that the transition back into day-to-day life is managed properly. Really disappointing - especially if the young fella is out of pocket. It's bad enough to get that close to a decent top level career and just missing out without having to pay for the experience as well.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:Didn’t Westaway and Nettlefold recently make contact with (and make a presentation to?) all living ex-players to try and bring together the St Kilda family.

A great initiative like that is brought undone when a courageous player like Allen is injured out of the game and we don’t ensure that the transition back into day-to-day life is managed properly. Really disappointing - especially if the young fella is out of pocket. It's bad enough to get that close to a decent top level career and just missing out without having to pay for the experience as well.
But that's the age old problem with these things... if they have no follow through they simply become public PR announcements undone quickly by poor behavior because nothing concrete has been put in place

See it in politics all the time - the big announcement followed up with no action (cause to some people the announcement is the action)

“Yeah….nah””
GoSaintersGo
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:

Yes it does make you feel sick.

But what will make me feel even sicker is if they don't do something about it now.

Better late than never. :(
As reported, sounds bad, however, what's the other side of the story.
From a medical cost and rehab cost point of view, surely there are forms of Insurance cover like Medicare, Private Health and Workcover let alone Honourary Medical Team support that would see the net cost to Allen as being next to nothing.
"Dr. Spaceman" may have the answers?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

lol at medicare

private health doesnt even fully cover a knee reco

the kids around 5 grand out of pocket
youd think the club wouldve coughed up 5 f****** grand to help the lad out

disgraceful
yeah sure its a business but have some damn compassion

Superstar
Club Player

The worry about this too, is in recruiting. if a player is tossing up between Pies V Saints for similar deals, you'd know which one the mangers are going to recommend.

Legendary
Club Player

We should have a fundraiser/donation on here for him.

Like the player sponsorship. And then ask the club to match it - if we supporters put our money where our mouth is, then the club can too.

We would only need to raise $2500 and the club the other $2500 and that would compensate him.

howlinwolf
Club Player

Legendary wrote:We should have a fundraiser/donation on here for him.

Like the player sponsorship. And then ask the club to match it - if we supporters put our money where our mouth is, then the club can too.

We would only need to raise $2500 and the club the other $2500 and that would compensate him.
Good idea. I was thinking the same thing. However prior to any fund raising maybe we should collectively, as members let the club know officially what we think as it is presented ?
It would give them a chance to explain their side of it and if it is as it seems maybe it will show them as members we don't appreciate it.

If nothing comes of that I'd be happy to put in a few dollars.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
gringo
Saintsational Legend

howlinwolf wrote:
Legendary wrote:We should have a fundraiser/donation on here for him.

Good idea. I was thinking the same thing. However prior to any fund raising maybe we should collectively, as members let the club know officially what we think as it is presented ?
It would give them a chance to explain their side of it and if it is as it seems maybe it will show them as members we don't appreciate it.

If nothing comes of that I'd be happy to put in a few dollars.
I'll put in too if someone gets it organised.