Pitch for Mitch will continue- article

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Middo
Club Player

Re: Pitch for Mitch will continue- article

plugger66 wrote:
Middo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Hope he is quoted incorrectly. Lets at least see how he goes next season and who else comes on. Half the problem this year was setting our sites on one contracted player. he isnt contracted next year but he may have a shocker or he may play 22 games and sign half way through the year.

I'm sure the club would have more idea than you .... :roll: :roll:

Really. Who would have known. Surely you didnt waste 12 years of your life going to school to come up with that one. You are going to be writing that a few times if you are consistant. I am lucky though. you dont respect me. it gives me hope that I am a normal person. Pity those you do respect. They obviously have real issues.

Own medicine champ ... :wink: :wink:

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
St Ick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Hope he is quoted incorrectly. Lets at least see how he goes next season and who else comes on. Half the problem this year was setting our sites on one contracted player. he isnt contracted next year but he may have a shocker or he may play 22 games and sign half way through the year.
Who is to say its just one player we set our sights on? He may have just been the only one we rated who wanted to be in Saints colours next year...

Yes thats true but it is the only one we heard about and in the end we got no one. Why would we be worrying about him already for 2014? Its not like he is Scarlett or Fletcher.
I agree and I'm not too sure. Unless a journo said to Scott, so are you still keen on Brown? What else can he say.

On being contracted, Tom Lynch was a high pick around where Brown was taken and he still had a year to go on a contract, if the price is right and the clubs willing, its quite common to move clubs being under contract - heaps this year from memory.

Having said that, Chip Frawley would be a required player at Dees while under contract. No way he would come to us.

On Rodda, there is no chance that an 18 year old could come in and play FB.Especially one that NOONE wants.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:The problem with making our intentions so well known is that other clubs will more than likely put in dummy bids for him next year to inflate his price.
Anything more than a second round pick would be well overs for a bloke that is unproven & injury prone. Hope all that extra salary room we have doesn't get thrown at blokes like this who have done SFA.

I remember a Sydney supporter mate said that about Mumford which he has conveniently forgotten he ever said. Sometimes cherry picking early works. Ask Thommo, he went after this nobody from the WAFL that looked awkward and patchy but didn't get him. he may have been a bit handy in the last decade- Dean Cox.

Sydney again pinched a developing KPP from the bombers in Ted Richards, Sean dempster, Kennedy x 2 etc all came to their second club before they hit the upward curve. Sometimes you have to roll the dice, he wants to come home and he is keen on the Saints so we should be doing some serious due diligence.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
dragit wrote:The problem with making our intentions so well known is that other clubs will more than likely put in dummy bids for him next year to inflate his price.
Anything more than a second round pick would be well overs for a bloke that is unproven & injury prone. Hope all that extra salary room we have doesn't get thrown at blokes like this who have done SFA.

I remember a Sydney supporter mate said that about Mumford which he has conveniently forgotten he ever said. Sometimes cherry picking early works. Ask Thommo, he went after this nobody from the WAFL that looked awkward and patchy but didn't get him. he may have been a bit handy in the last decade- Dean Cox.

Sydney again pinched a developing KPP from the bombers in Ted Richards, Sean dempster, Kennedy x 2 etc all came to their second club before they hit the upward curve.
Sometimes you have to roll the dice, he wants to come home and he is keen on the Saints so we should be doing some serious due diligence.
Due diligence yes, but it sounds like we are offering over a million bucks to a guy who can't crack a regular game in a side that has played finals twice since he has been there. I don't think he wants to come home, he just wants a regular game and fair enough.

I wouldn't be selling the farm for this bloke, he's been injured a lot and hasn't looked amazing when I've seen him.

AccidentallyTim
Club Player

CURLY wrote:Haven't got a issue either way with this. It would look pretty stupid if after trying pretty hard over the off season to get Brown across to then a week or two later say we have no interest in him at the end of this year.
Agree.

Very silly to do a 180 and show no interest less then a month after going at him like a bull. Imo.

Good to read we're looking beyond next year too and with 3 seemingly rather large contracts gone for 2014 in Bj, Gram and you would think Kosi either taking a smaller pice of the pie or hanging up the boots.

We will be well placed to attack next post season's trade/draft/free agency period.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
True Believer wrote:I am sure the club are still keeping a public level of interest in Brown in the media because they actually have an interest in him, and that's a great way to remind Mitch of our great interest and generous offer.

But has it occured to any of the geniuses on here, that we may want to keep media interest in this deal because it allows us to pursue other potential trade/recruit options out of the glare of the media spotlight?
Yes, because the club is such a slick operation that… we offered 25, 26 & Cripps for the unproven Brown, then didn't draft a single KPD, mature or young, even though we are absolutely desperate for one.

Genius.
lol this sounds like the draft week talk where apparently the pelch had a smoking gun waiting to be fired late trade week......that didnt go off.

“Yeah….nah””
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
dragit wrote:
True Believer wrote:I am sure the club are still keeping a public level of interest in Brown in the media because they actually have an interest in him, and that's a great way to remind Mitch of our great interest and generous offer.

But has it occured to any of the geniuses on here, that we may want to keep media interest in this deal because it allows us to pursue other potential trade/recruit options out of the glare of the media spotlight?
Yes, because the club is such a slick operation that… we offered 25, 26 & Cripps for the unproven Brown, then didn't draft a single KPD, mature or young, even though we are absolutely desperate for one.

Genius.
lol this sounds like the draft week talk where apparently the pelch had a smoking gun waiting to be fired late trade week......that didnt go off.
I think the gun jammed........we'll have to wait and see how well oiled it is next trade/free agency period

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

I have spoken to recruiting personnel at the club about the lack of a full back and still struggle with why they have chosen to go without a designated full back for another season.

The reason given that there was no single player rated as capable of filling the role and they didn't want to get someone in for 12 months, when there were other more talented players available. The club believes they will cope by developing a back 6 - team defensive approach similiar to Hawthorn in 2008.

It was obvious the club believe they will get someone like Brown next year and are prepared to wait. I do hope however they move Stanley back when we are playing teams with taller fowards.

The difference next year is that we now have a number of talls who can assist. The other consideration is perhaps a player like Jay Lever is a lot closer to being able to step up than some think. In any event he and Staley will have another year to develop.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
spot on
Club Player

I think we should target gws midfielders , we would struggle to get there best young talent but I think someone like a Taylor Adams would be a great pick up, he would be like there 6 th or 7th in line and would get lots of opportunity in our midfield, in his home state

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

spot on wrote:I think we should target gws midfielders , we would struggle to get there best young talent but I think someone like a Taylor Adams would be a great pick up, he would be like there 6 th or 7th in line and would get lots of opportunity in our midfield, in his home state
Spot on with this thought

err.....who is Taylor Adams

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

WinnersOnly wrote: The reason given that there was no single player rated as capable of filling the role and they didn't want to get someone in for 12 months, when there were other more talented players available. The club believes they will cope by developing a back 6 - team defensive approach similiar to Hawthorn in 2008.

It was obvious the club believe they will get someone like Brown next year and are prepared to wait. I do hope however they move Stanley back when we are playing teams with taller fowards.

The difference next year is that we now have a number of talls who can assist. The other consideration is perhaps a player like Jay Lever is a lot closer to being able to step up than some think. In any event he and Staley will have another year to develop.
Must say upon reflection I like the call the club made. No point getting a VFL quality FB or a kid who wont be able to step up within a couple of years. Filling a hole in our list with a player who had other deficiencies was our biggest criticism of Lyon. So big tick to the club IMO.

With the likes of Lee, Stanley and Wilkes on our list, we might have one or two too many fwds. Lee may have to consider life as a backman until Rooey retires, alternatively, Pelch and co may have considered that Lee was actually a better backman than Hartigan or similar. I'm comfortable with the call.

I do agree that GWSs list is ripe for the picking. I noticed Dom Tyson just hurt his knee, he would be the one who may not come on this year due to the injury but I would absolutely target. Him and one of their kep possie players for when Chips retires.

Strength through Loyalty
Q-TRAIN
Club Player

So far he's been 'just' a handy player for the West Coast Drug Lords ( well, for the few times he's actually got a game lately) that is.
Is the bloke as good as we are hoping he MIGHT be one day??????????????
Then again im sure the club knows alot more about his potential than i do.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

We should get into Mitch Brown's ear and tell him to stop trying about half-way through the season, miss a few training sessions, and just work on his fitness and strength.

Get him nice and cheap

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

SO what did we effectively get for not making the Brown deal happen?

Wright and White?

Some guy in the 40's also? or TDL?

I'd take no Brown -And I have never seen our two draftees play.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Q-TRAIN wrote:So far he's been 'just' a handy player for the West Coast Drug Lords ( well, for the few times he's actually got a game lately) that is.
Is the bloke as good as we are hoping he MIGHT be one day??????????????
Then again im sure the club knows alot more about his potential than i do.

It really comes down to the fact he is the right size to play on the really big forwards. There are very few the right size, age and are possibly available. Frawley is good but he is probably not going to offer heaps more than Sam Fisher because he is a little smaller. Brown is a lump of a guy and would be pretty safe to suggest could play a similar role to his brother.
I think he would release some very good players from roles that are a compromise. I would be happy to recruit him if we can get him because he is exactly fitting the profile we need.

I'm glad we kept our picks though- Wright and White both look the goods with the added bonus of not shifting the recruiting blackhole further into the future.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The upside is that while we will have to wait 12 months, that his price will be lower.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
dragit
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:The upside is that while we will have to wait 12 months, that his price will be lower.
Not necessarily, if he is the best uncontracted FB going next year, I am sure plenty of clubs will be offering decent picks to get him. Still might take a first rounder.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

A lot may depend on Glass. If he goes on another year after next, then its a lot more likely.

Having said that, Hawthorn were red hot keen on Gillies who was contracted last year, but didnt even want him this year when he could have come for free. Say a lot about what could change in 12 months

Strength through Loyalty
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:We should get into Mitch Brown's ear and tell him to stop trying about half-way through the season, miss a few training sessions, and just work on his fitness and strength.

Get him nice and cheap
Well they just resigned Shuey for an extra 2 yrs at 500k a pop so I don't think they'd be too much money left over for Brown

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:The upside is that while we will have to wait 12 months, that his price will be lower.
Not necessarily, if he is the best uncontracted FB going next year, I am sure plenty of clubs will be offering decent picks to get him. Still might take a first rounder.
He will be uncontracted and so can walk. So the WCE bargaining power is diminished.

At present he is behind others at WCE and that will diminish his ability to shine.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
He will be uncontracted and so can walk. So the WCE bargaining power is diminished.

At present he is behind others at WCE and that will diminish his ability to shine.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
dragit wrote:Not necessarily, if he is the best uncontracted FB going next year, I am sure plenty of clubs will be offering decent picks to get him. Still might take a first rounder.
Sure, but dragit's point is that we won't be competing with West Coast - we'll be competing with every other club in the competition that needs a key defender. What if Collingwood decide they want to dump Ben Reid and bring the Brown Brothers back together? Or Carlton decide that Lachie Henderson should play forward again? Or Essendon decide that Hooker's really gone this time? Or Brian Lake retires from Hawthorn having just won a flag?

They could all go for Brown. Then we need to compete with their promises on Brown's contract, and offer West Coast enough to go for it. Overall he could be more expensive in a year.

saint6709
Club Player

My initial thoughts were WHO CARES ?? lets worry about 2013 - we have Watters laying challenges out to the likes of Lenny - we have new young mature age blokes who could be guns - some real depth so there will be no spuds in the 22 - I recon we can give it a real crack this year (2013) ....... given that I still think thats the case- why not Watters stir the pot a bit ?- West coast d4cked us around somewhat ( i will argue as a saints fan - they may say otherwise) So why not say we want him - maybe we can get him for free on a walk next year - why not if we can -- I remember a few people saying on here once a guy starts saying he only wants to play for such and such team - the other teams tend to back away - its a new world in AFL with free agency and maybe players will start walking trade free if the clubs they go to play the right hand -- if nothing else Watters can use the whole thing to motivate our young backs to earn a spot and maybe disrupt the Weagles a bit - And maybe we can get him for a steal - but right now I'm omly worried about 2013