AFL Press Conference About to start....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Re: AFL Press Conference About to start....

markp wrote:
It's damage control.

No AD, and surprisingly outed bombers as the team referred to them by the ACC.... Caro was trying to get him to imply it was and he came right out and named them.

To me that says if it's a choice between tarnishing the game or doing over the bombers big time, it's a no brainer.
The game is already tarnished. They can't rewind this story. The damage was already done with the release of the commission report. The only damage they are doing now is by sweeping it under the carpet.

Even some of the journos seem to be publicly buying this story. Rumour mill is rife that Essendon are in the clear. So if that is to be believed, we only 'possibly' have one player in the gun out of 18 teams and over 600+ players? B**LS**T!!!!!

Fortius Quo Fidelius
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

as had been rumoured over the last 24 hours- the "massive" press release the other day was becasue one code didn't wish to stand out as the 'most suspect' and thus convinced 4 other sports to stand up front...

oh and a couple of pollies wanted to be there at the pointy end

being pushed for details and who we need to target the Polly coughed up more detail which put just suspicion on one code and almost fact on another..

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
gringo
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:I am so angry and disillusioned at our game right now that words ALMOST fail me. I cannot believe how gullible they think we are? Who wants to start the odds on which team that the 1 player with issues in regards to performance enhancing drugs comes from? What is the bet that it is a one of the perceived lowly swill clubs like us, Bulldogs, North Melbourne or Melbourne? Can't upset the big boys.

The AFL is absolutely GUTLESS. The report from the commission is scathing and yet they have the audacity to tell us there is no problem and I bet my bottom dollar there is not one sanction issued to any club or player. The NRL teams and players have come forward and fessed up. I never thought I would say this but our code needs to take a leaf out of there book. The footy public now knows there is a problem and anything less than the truth and punishment is not acceptable!

I agree, I'd be very surprised if they take down anyone now. They are just ready to cover up and hope that it is all based on hearsay rather than evidence. One player has to go down and it will not be jobe, Buddy or swan.

If it doesn't go away soon they will need to get that ex cop who will bring up the milne case again and fill the front page again for a few days. If they could get Duthie as well it would be even better.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

I don't think it was what he said or didn't say in that press conference but the body language was telegraphing that good old Gillon has been rattled by the information coming into the AFL.

No time for the business suit and the smart business persona, this press conferences was held on the run as they try of come to terms that all is not well within the AFL.

It's like he has stopped trying to defend club and virtually said "well you all know it's Essendon" as to the one individual from another club well we could keep guessing....

Sainterman
Club Player

saint75 wrote:Fox Sports AFL on twitter are running with this headline:

Strong rumours are emerging that the Essendon Football Club are clean and it's all been a massive storm in a tea cup.

Yeah right. I've got a bridge in Sydney that I can sell ya too!
I think this might be a fake twitter account (at least according to the entertaining bunch over at BomberBlitz).

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Damage control ... Massive cover up. There can be little doubt of abuses in previous seasons.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I suspect that Gillon McLaughlin was very limited in what he was allowed to say at today's presser. He would have been told by the ACC what he could and couldn't say. I also think that the eyes of the world are closely watching this investigation and that it is way out of the AFL's hands, meaning that they are not able to manipulate the findings/penalties !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Eastern wrote:I suspect that Gillon McLaughlin was very limited in what he was allowed to say at today's presser. He would have been told by the ACC what he could and couldn't say. I also think that the eyes of the world are closely watching this investigation and that it is way out of the AFL's hands, meaning that they are not able to manipulate the findings/penalties !!
Wish I had your confidence. Time will tell I suppose......

Fortius Quo Fidelius
lloyd21
Club Player

AFL Press Conference About to start....

Agree would very much doubt the Bummers do not not suffer some significant damage out of this, all potential sponsors will avoid their brand as well. The drug policy is clear penalties apply when they test no excuses.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

lloyd21 wrote:Agree would very much doubt the Bummers do not not suffer some significant damage out of this, all potential sponsors will avoid their brand as well. The drug policy is clear penalties apply when they test no excuses.
If there'd been any failed tests then the penalties would have already applied. The reality is that no-one's failed a test for PEDs since Justin Charles, despite all the rumours and political grandstanding.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

How funny would it be if the single player being investigated was Goddard....

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:Bet my last dollar on the fact that regardless of what investigation takes place, there will be a cover up.

Essendon MAY take a hit, but IF they do, they will be the sacrificial lamb in this whole sorry saga. Call me paranoid, but the evidence is just does not support what they are trying to feed us......
If the teams itself takes a hit, it will be from the AFL in a show of 'integrity'

If ASADA finds anything, they won't be able to stop the punishment of individual athletes.
Last edited by SainterK on Sun 10 Feb 2013 5:40pm, edited 1 time in total.

santazzi
Club Player

Eastern wrote:I suspect that Gillon McLaughlin was very limited in what he was allowed to say at today's presser. He would have been told by the ACC what he could and couldn't say. I also think that the eyes of the world are closely watching this investigation and that it is way out of the AFL's hands, meaning that they are not able to manipulate the findings/penalties !!
Spot on Eastern. It is now, I believe, in the hands of much more powerful players. The AFL is now a mere observer from the side lines, for all things that matter, just like you and I and the rest of fellow forumites.........

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Was this presser simply outlining the investigation?

I think it will be quite awhile until this investigations concludes.

Strange regarding the stand alone player taking it upon themselves to enhance their performance, strikes me as unusual...

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Strange regarding the stand alone player taking it upon themselves to enhance their performance, strikes me as unusual...
Robert Harvey used to go for runs even when the club told him not to, how is this different?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:Fox Sports AFL on twitter are running with this headline:

Strong rumours are emerging that the Essendon Football Club are clean and it's all been a massive storm in a tea cup.

Yeah right. I've got a bridge in Sydney that I can sell ya too!
Here comes the spin shitstorm in favour of Essendon...the AFL are running a few pro-Essendon articles too alluding to the storm in teacup scenario. I'd have good money on almost nothing coming of this.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

They know 1000 tests failed to get Lance Armstrong and they have been emboldened by the leaks from the ACC which will basically be that no evidence from tests are held just guilt by association. Essendon used a guy who sells the products and was involved in NRL and probably the link. AFL don't want to act and will only do so under a huge amount of pressure.

I heard a cyclist say at least when they find someone out they ditch them.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

media outlets would want to be checking their ' assumptions'
Danks sueing various media outlets for $10MIll for allegations against him

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
farquhar
Club Player

Dank now to sue for $10m is interesting. He may as well because his name has been in all the papers and he is innocent until proven guilty. Cannot imagine him being employed in Australia again so he may as well sue.

AFL shouldnt try to bail Essendon out if they are guilty, they did employ these guys. The Essendon leadership should fall on their sword. Their next AGM will be a ripper.

Time for goal-kicking practice
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:media outlets would want to be checking their ' assumptions'
Danks sueing various media outlets for $10MIll for allegations against him
Will the Media Outlets name the Media Outlets being sued? !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:They know 1000 tests failed to get Lance Armstrong and they have been emboldened by the leaks from the ACC which will basically be that no evidence from tests are held just guilt by association. Essendon used a guy who sells the products and was involved in NRL and probably the link. AFL don't want to act and will only do so under a huge amount of pressure.

All very true, but AFL requires an 18 team legit comp, so the AFL, when speaking to ASADA, may suggest they do draft penalties (possibly severe), rather than player suspensions.

I'm just thinking laterally of a way of punishing Essendon, but not half their team suspended such that they can't field a proper side.

We all know how hard hit Carlscum were after their draft penalties were applied. Let's hope they can do the same to Essendon if guilty en masse. Would keep them as cellar dwellers for half a decade!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
gringo wrote:They know 1000 tests failed to get Lance Armstrong and they have been emboldened by the leaks from the ACC which will basically be that no evidence from tests are held just guilt by association. Essendon used a guy who sells the products and was involved in NRL and probably the link. AFL don't want to act and will only do so under a huge amount of pressure.

All very true, but AFL requires an 18 team legit comp, so the AFL, when speaking to ASADA, may suggest they do draft penalties (possibly severe), rather than player suspensions.

I'm just thinking laterally of a way of punishing Essendon, but not half their team suspended such that they can't field a proper side.

We all know how hard hit Carlscum were after their draft penalties were applied. Let's hope they can do the same to Essendon if guilty en masse. Would keep them as cellar dwellers for half a decade!

What happened to Carlton has been overhyped. They were at the end of the cycle when they overpaid. Guys at the end like Fraser Brown got huge money but were already in his early 30s. They kept together a premiership side too long then on top of that the penalties came when an injection of youth were required.

Essendon only have a few oldies and could go a few years without a decent pick. We have had the same penalty that Carlton had self imposed due to a lack of development and poor recruiting. adelaide will suffer very little effect from their lost pick too- they are a young team.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Media are Jumpy

Club Board member stepping down ......... brain gogs start turning

just Craig Cameron heading to Horse racing
Mark Robinson‏@Robbo_heraldsun

Craig Cameron leaves tigers for role at throughbred breeding company. And no conspiracy stories here. Been thinking about it for sometime

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

farquhar wrote:Dank now to sue for $10m is interesting. He may as well because his name has been in all the papers and he is innocent until proven guilty. Cannot imagine him being employed in Australia again so he may as well sue.

AFL shouldnt try to bail Essendon out if they are guilty, they did employ these guys. The Essendon leadership should fall on their sword. Their next AGM will be a ripper.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think his statement says he plans to sue because he did not illegal sell supplements...not sure that clears up anything, unless he plans to sue the media for saying he administered them into players while on the payroll.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I have a new guess seeing we will not know for months. Kyle Riemers is training at that gym next door to Danks. Kyle is put on some HGH and gets told it's all in their supplements anyway. gets sacked tells them they are all on it to the coaches. coaches freak and tell the AFL.