We need a powerful Cheer Squad

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: We need a powerful Cheer Squad

BigMart wrote:If a player needs the crowd to lift him... He's the wrong sort of player.

Yes of course they prefer to play in front of big crowds or in big games... But it doesn't make players perform better...
If it does, the question would be asked is why?

Strip it back to the bare....
There is a ball, an opponent and a desire to beat the opponent...... That is conditioned in a competitive athlete.
Whether its in the VFL, an intra club or a AFL final.... I'd expect effort to be exactly the same ..... 100% can't be above, shouldn't be below. Again if it takes a cheer to lift a player, what sort of player is that?

On the basketball analogy
Away teams win, but... History says their is a HGA... Generally to do with being familiar and comfortable with surrounds.

Question
Do you think any StK player the other night either thought about or even made mention of the crowd... Before, during or even after the game? Do you think it effected their effort?

What about Basketball at the same venue but one team is home and the other away. That did happen and the home team still have a better record. It helps and anyone who thinks otherwise watches on TV.

SAAD
Club Player

We should start a StKilda Thug Squad and viciously assault opposition supporters and members when they get off the train at Southern Cross

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Trying to feel desperately a part of the team??

I reckon SW even mentions the crowd pre game.... And they do it for the fans... Bad turn out, really effects the players, to a point where they can't be bothered....

I believe you get a special mention. I believe your loyal support had played a large part in our recent success!

Btw
You need provide evidence when stating a 'fact'

And
Are those supporters who can't get to a game.... Not good supporters?

milney044
Club Player

I have heard players refer to crowds actually. If you listen to a couple of past AFL ads a couple of players mention playing in front of big crowds at the MCG - if crowds weren't important to players why do so many essendon and pies players love the chance to play in front of so many people on ANZAC day, Carlton v Collingwood, Essendon v Carlton etc.

Heck Milne's been asked what his favourite noise is. Do you know his answer? The crowd after we kick a goal. His words not mine. But then, that's probably referring to the 'type of player' we don't want right? The type of player who has been our most exciting and arguably the best small forward in the game.

Players respond to the atmosphere around them, they're only human.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:Whilst i'd like to see a larger more dynamic cheer squad , I do believe they should organised by the clubs and have a cut of age of 30 !
I think its pathetic to see 50 year olds wearing gold jackets !

+1

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

People who say playing at home makes no difference are absolutely correct.

Over about 115 seasons of footy our home record is 533 wins 11 draws and 551 losses for a win percentage of 49.18% and a percentage of 100.50.

However, playing away makes a huge difference.

Over about 115 seasons of footy our home record is 323 wins 13 draws and 759 losses for a win percentage of 30.09% and a percentage of 78.78.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
noob
Club Player

That's a good stat. Almost got the better win ratio at home! that will go down in the next couple of years. 30% Away record must have gone up considering the days at essendon, collingwood and carltons home grounds back in the day.