Tonights positives

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Quixote
SS Life Member

Re: Tonights positives

Seb Ross is looking a very, very good prospect. Pray he doesn't go to the Bombers.

Jack, Newnes, Jimmy, Webster, Roberton etc all promising. Thought Sammy Fisher played with some guts too. Was McEvoy off the ground for extended periods? Think Hickey will come good, but he's a project.

Get Wright back in that team.

Very disappointed with Maister, Saad and Milera. There will need to be long discussions about these 3. We cannot carry them all.

OUTS: Maister, Saad

INS: Lee, Curren

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Positive was that for a 4th week in a row, it's been clear that we have a structure and game plan in place - and it appears to be defensively effective.

Offensive it reeks, and we don't have the cattle to carry it out for 4 quarters, but you can see what we're trying to do.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:Positive was that for a 4th week in a row, it's been clear that we have a structure and game plan in place - and it appears to be defensively effective.

Offensive it reeks, and we don't have the cattle to carry it out for 4 quarters, but you can see what we're trying to do.

Tell me Johnny - Im lost.

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:Positive was that for a 4th week in a row, it's been clear that we have a structure and game plan in place - and it appears to be defensively effective.

Me too.

We replaced Wright with Maister, took Siposs out of the forward line, and totally messed up the structure IMO

Week before I'd agree with you.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:Seb Ross is looking a very, very good prospect. Pray he doesn't go to the Bombers.
Jack, Newnes, Jimmy, Webster, Roberton etc all promising. Thought Sammy Fisher played with some guts too. Was McEvoy off the ground for extended periods? Think Hickey will come good, but he's a project.

Very disappointed with Maister, Saad and Milera. There will need to be long discussions about these 3. We cannot carry them all.

why would he ?
cause he is Jobes cousin? well that didnt get us Jack Riewoldt.....
cause he is Tim Watsons nephew ? well that hasnt worked for us getting James Frawley.....
cause he supported Essendon ? well that didnt make us lose Goddard to Carlton or Dal to Essendon nor did it get Fevola to us....

the fact is Essendon passed on Seb at the draft when they had the chance (picked Elliot Kavanagh with pick 19)
the fact is St Kilda rate Seb highly
the fact is Essendon are going to be tight with the salary cap
the fact is Essendon would have to come up with a decent trade to get him

i cant see Seb going to Essendon ill expect we will keep Sebs contract in a state that sees him always out of their grasp ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Quixote wrote:Seb Ross is looking a very, very good prospect. Pray he doesn't go to the Bombers.
cause he supported Essendon ? well that didnt make us lose Goddard to Carlton or Dal to Essendon nor did it get Fevola to us....
Wasn't Hurley a Sainst supporter?

So if the Bombers want Seb they can start with #18....

.....and keep adding :wink: :P

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:

BJ?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

No injuries
No rep
And Jack with 2 first names keeps bouncing like an energiser bunny

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
bergsone
SS Life Member

.Gwilt,had real doubts about him getting back after inj,but looks to be moving well.With Wright,Simpkin in the wings feel we can have a reasonable back 6

Forwards,thats a different matter Lee,Shenton,White,hopefully may be a answer there

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

BJ?
LURVE your work.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:

why would he ?
cause he is Jobes cousin? well that didnt get us Jack Riewoldt.....
cause he is Tim Watsons nephew ? well that hasnt worked for us getting James Frawley.....

the fact is Essendon passed on Seb at the draft when they had the chance (picked Elliot Kavanagh with pick 19)
the fact is St Kilda rate Seb highly
the fact is Essendon are going to be tight with the salary cap
the fact is Essendon would have to come up with a decent trade to get him

i cant see Seb going to Essendon ill expect we will keep Sebs contract in a state that sees him always out of their grasp ...

Well said. Why do people keep up this rubbish is beyond me :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote:.Gwilt,had real doubts about him getting back after inj,but looks to be moving well.With Wright,Simpkin in the wings feel we can have a reasonable back 6

Forwards,thats a different matter Lee,Shenton,White,hopefully may be a answer there
Agree - was worried for Gwilt he looks to have improved movement significantly

Back 6 plus say a Frawley is looking real good...

Forward line has Roo and not much else

“Yeah….nah””
groupie1
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:Not too many but there were some.

Newnes - a very good game especially the first half. Faded in the second

Roberton - again in our best. A real gem of a find

Jimmy Gwilt - getting back to his best

Jack Steven - down a bit but getting more consistant

Roo

Jimmy Webster - one of the few who didn't miss a target.

OK we got towelled - but remember where we are at. A lot of kids who will be inconsistant.

Put it behind us and move on.

Got plenty to work with and we are not a lost cause.

Agreed with all your points. Spot on!

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
groupie1
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
Freebird wrote:We have many lazy players in the side and I'm concerned that playing our developing players with them will foster a bad culture.
We have to weed out the players that stand back and want the easy ball
Another dill that cant read.

Piss off jacking the thread, post your negative generalisations on one of the thousand other threads when people are b!tching and moaning.

Another troll.

I agree. What a wanka! He talks like bad attitude is like a virus people catch from each other.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

2011 draft looks a ripper for us; Ross, Newnes & Webster all look like class
and 200 game players.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

I saw someone had written that he was very Sam Mitcell like - which I can see the similarities. If he becomes as good as Mitchell we are on a winners thats for sure.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
mick13
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:2011 draft looks a ripper for us; Ross, Newnes & Webster all look like class
and 200 game players.
With Daniel Markworth to return. He most certainly would have debuted this year if he hadn't done his knee.

Smart (not only in football terms) and a class character as well. Similar to a lot of recruits we've taken recently.

So we'll definitely persist with him. But first let's get those others signed up!

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:

He's probably related to "our Liz" as well.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Teflon wrote:

Me too.

We replaced Wright with Maister, took Siposs out of the forward line, and totally messed up the structure IMO

Week before I'd agree with you.

In my opinion (and granted I'm no expert) it seems clear that we are flooding the midfield and half back line in an attempt to keep it a low scoring game - then we try to 'slingshot' forward and score on the counter.

The obvious problem is that we're not really that good at it yet. Young, immature teams take time to get defence right and do it for 4 quarters. And with this type of style, you do leave yourself vulnerable to a walloping against a good side if you don't get it right.

Funnily, it's actually quite Ross Lyon 'esque!

Probably the difference is that Lyon seemed to think the scoring would come from the turnover, then bombing it to the talls to kick the score. Whereas now, we have the talls as targets - but it seems to center around the smalls and the talls working together.