2013 National Draft Pick #3 - Welcome to the St Kilda FC

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

PJ
SS Life Member

Re: 2013 National Draft Pick #3 - Welcome to the St Kilda FC

Given Melbourne's Houdini trick regarding tanking allegations wouldn't you think giving them another compo pick would look a little like a back flip. Regardless of their need to get Melbourne up again I don't think the afl will risk the flack from a call like that. Neeld will be axed and the afl will manage the coaching selection process to ensure an outcome.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
sainter#4
Club Player

is there any chance of us getting a priority pick if we win less then 5 games? not sure how the new rules work.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

sainter#4 wrote:is there any chance of us getting a priority pick if we win less then 5 games? not sure how the new rules work.

No hope in the world. melbourne will get one if they get their house in order and at least try to show they wont waste it again.

BadRossco
Club Player

Don't get excited about having an early pick, possibly 3 and 21 which our recruiters will trade for Mitch Brown or another world beater like Tommy Lee

defacto
Club Player

PurpleHayes wrote:How awesome that we are potentially going to get such a high draft pick?

On top of that, our second pick will be #21 which could also net another good player.

We need to take a deep breath because in a few weeks time no one will remember or care that we lost to the dogs, a bit like when we lost to the Suns at the start of the season..

The young players are playing well, but they won't turn into stars overnight. We do have a future..

well said mate!!!!

everyone needs to stopping looking at the now and need to think about how were going to win our next flag in 3-5 years time. what do we need to do now to make that happen?

defacto
Club Player

PurpleHayes wrote:How awesome that we are potentially going to get such a high draft pick?

On top of that, our second pick will be #21 which could also net another good player.

We need to take a deep breath because in a few weeks time no one will remember or care that we lost to the dogs, a bit like when we lost to the Suns at the start of the season..

The young players are playing well, but they won't turn into stars overnight. We do have a future..

well said mate!!!!

everyone needs to stopping looking at the now and need to think about how were going to win our next flag in 3-5 years time. what do we need to do now to make that happen?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
sainter#4 wrote:is there any chance of us getting a priority pick if we win less then 5 games? not sure how the new rules work.

No hope in the world. melbourne will get one if they get their house in order and at least try to show they wont waste it again.
We are no chance, but I reckon we need it more than Melbourne.

Be disgraceful to award Melbourne with another pick after clearly tanking, what would that say?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

We are no chance, but I reckon we need it more than Melbourne.

Be disgraceful to award Melbourne with another pick after clearly tanking, what would that say?

It would saying the tanking didnt work because they havent improved.

Ross who?
Club Player

I thought you had to win less than 5 games for 2 seasons in a row to get concession pick. (or is that another rule thats been changed!!!)

I think we need an inside mid with our first pick. EG: an Ollie Wines type

Blake Acres fan club VIP
The Bluff
Club Player

I think you have to go kp player with such a high pick, can add the mid fielders later once we get a spine in place.

Heidelberg_Saint
Club Player

Anyone got any intel on Billy Hartung? He's a local kid who's been mentioned as a potentially high pick in 2013.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

If we are tanking....we are doing very well!!

Can become contagious though..so look at the Dees.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
gringo
Saintsational Legend

lloyd21 wrote:You missed Scharenburg this guy can play mid forward defence if saints get chance would start wishing for him.

he is a beauty, I don't know where he will go but top 10 and be a gun.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

We need the best young clearance player in the country

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:Ball taken 2nd; Kosi taken 2nd. Neither Dal nor Hayes taken top 10.

Not a science. I'd rather win games.
Yes. Can't understand the excitement about losing games.

Win as many as possible, do your homework and draft and trade well.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Ross who? wrote:
I thought you had to win less than 5 games for 2 seasons in a row to get concession pick. (or is that another rule thats been changed!!!)

I think we need an inside mid with our first pick. EG: an Ollie Wines type
They no longer have the priority pick otherwise the Demons would be up for one in this years draft as long as they don't win more than four games this year which is extremely likely. They now have it on discretion whether they give clubs priority picks. Port Adelaide were a basket case last year and asked the AFL for a priority pick and were knocked back so it's not something that's given out easily.

If we want an inside midfielder than Matt Crouch would be the go. He's clearly the best inside midfielder in the draft however doesn't have the all round game of pace, skills and inside ball winning ability that a few others in this draft have. But you can't deny the fact that he would be a prolific ball winner if his junior career is anything to go by.

There is quite a bit of talent at the top end of this years draft and at this early stage depth is better than last year by quite a bit. Watching TAC Future stars the other star they highlighted Crouch, Boyd, Billings and Kelly as the hot prospects, and being a TAC show they didn't mention a few of the interstate players getting around. Aish and Dunstan are the best from SA and Sheed the best from WA and will all be high up in the draft order.

I guess if you were comparing the above talent to current players it would be along these lines:

Boyd - Tall power marking forward.
Comparison - Hawkins.

Aish - Highly skilled, good decision maker and fantastic endurance. The full package.
Comparison - Cotchin

Sheed - Good inside and outside game, a real all rounder.
Comparison - Pendlebury

Dunstan - Big bodied inside midfielder who kicks goals
Comparison - Kennedy

Crouch - Prolific inside ball winner.
Comparison - Selwood

Billings - Strong marking and highly skilled small-medium forward who will certainly become a midfielder.
Comparison - Fyfe.

Kelly - Hard running and highly skilled outside midfielder.
Comparison - Sidebottom

Interestingly Jimmy Websters brother Zac is available in this years draft. Will likely be available in the later rounds.

lloyd21
Club Player

Wonder who is going to draft Gartlett

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Great post old mate

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Great post old mate
No problems Con, thanks for the kind words. This year I'm taking a lot more notice of the TAC Cup and national competitions so I'll try and keep everyone up to date on the prospects and put together some kind of Phantom Draft. As of now, those 7 players I mentioned are all likely to go top 10 but still early on in the season, there'll be a few bolters like Lonergan and Vlastuin last year.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Marcus Bontempelli (Northern) 191cm, 83kg

"Metro may have some more well known names, particularly the two big key forwards. But with a strong showing at the Championships, Bontempelli could easily be considered the best of the Victorian midfielders in my opinion. In fact, I would already have him in the top 10. He just offers something that nobody else in the draft does, and find me a team who wouldn't want a 191cm midfielder - I'd be very tempted if I were Melbourne. Last year, he played off a back flank and up through the wing - using his run to link up, and his kicking was nearly always on point. With the AIS this year, he has shown some impressive contested ability and looks to figure quite heavily for Metro at the centre bounces. I expect we'll get a few more Jobe Watson comparisons as the season goes on."

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

dragit wrote:I reckon we play hard ball with WCE.

Pick 3 & Nathan Wright for Brad Dick & Mitch Brown.

GET IT DONE SCOTTY
Come on mate, get serious!

For that deal to be anything close to realistic, we'd need to throw in say, Dal Santo & Steven, whilst we get a reasonable player back in Bradd "Razzle Dazzle" Dalziell who had an amazing first 7-8 games for Brisbane and done bugger all since :D Maybe we could squeeze a 3rd round pick from them too 8-)

The Saints are coming!
noob
Club Player

If we did say have pick 3 or 4 in the draft what number will be our second round?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

noob wrote:If we did say have pick 3 or 4 in the draft what number will be our second round?
I'll have to double check but fairly certain GWS activated a mid first round and end of first round compensation pick which would push our second (and third and fourth for that matter) pick down two places. However the Crows won't be involved in the first two rounds due to the Tippet-Salary Cap penalty which will push us up the order one place. So with that in mind, if we ended up with pick 3 our next would be 22...Pick 4 our next would be 23.

Richter
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
PJ wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Cant see how we ge pick 3. Melbourne will get 2 picks IMO and GWS one. The bulldogs will prbably finish below us so pick 5 is where i think we are at. No trading of that pick please unles as Dragit said we can get a Brad Dick type.
Why would Melbourne get 2 picks? I thought the compo pick had gone.

No its up to the AFL now. just reckon they will melbourne one.
If they do, I reckon they're more likely to give them an end of round 1 priority pick (perhaps to help to enable them to trade for another experienced player) rather than a 'before first round' priority pick.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Can pretty much guarantee that whoever the left footer/s are out of Old Mate's list is the one we'll be gunning for..