Watters' position is now untenable

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

Re: Watters' position is now untenable

jaxons wrote:The moment the players organised dwarfs at Mad Monday Watters position was untenable.
For those smart enough to realize who the dwarfs were representative of shows how the coach is viewed by the playing group.
We need to bite the bullet now and change things before 2014 becomes a waste of time.
Very interesting observation, I hadn't thought of it and you are probably spot on.

defacto
Club Player

great posts joffaboy and lloyd

best ive seen on the whole thing

GRAMophone
Club Player

Austinnn wrote:Untenable my arse.

It's encouraging to see a few posters who aren't freaking out at the earth-shattering concept of the head coach reporting to a Director of Football. It's existed in pro sport for some time and makes total sense from a club perspective, particularly when the club's remit is to forge a strong identity and build continuity.

It's a model that is used successfully in some of the huge football (soccer) clubs in Europe, and it works on the premise that coaches/managers come and go, but each time they leave, the game plan isn't ripped up and re-written. Rather, the club searches for an apt replacement who is happy to work under this Director and play this particular tune.

Let's face it, what we need now is a positive identity and continuity. This concept moves us closer to both. It's not foolproof and could even be a disaster, but it's better than the old school way, which just doesn't work. The old school way is for players to get picked to play the style of a certain coach, the coach gets the bullet later and replaced by someone totally different, those players suddenly are redundant - a waste of a draft pick/trade.

In this more progressive construction, coaches, far from just being puppets for a regime, buy into a truly strong Way, and help develop and continue it. Rather than considering the clubs to which they move to be mere vessels into which they pour their managerial magic, they consider themselves enriched by being a success at a strong club, a career-building move for them from which they can choose to move on if they ever want to do things their own way. Players are brought in and shifted out on the more stable basis of being St Kilda-type players (imagine that idea being positive, rather than negative) This is something we should have done when Butterss and Thomas took over, and if Blight had been a hungry young coach and Thomas not a control freak maybe we would already be 13 years into the plan, still better late than never.

Of course the hoary old Legend Coaches - Sheedy, Roos, Malthouse, Lyon, etc - would never sully their egos by 'reporting to a bean counter' or some such trite 70s garbage, but hopefully many of the new school have a bit more humility. Scott strikes me as someone who is open-minded and I think that's good. If he's not into it, I'd prefer to let him try his luck somewhere else and we take a hungry up and comer who is happy to try to prove himself in this new paradigm. He's done well with the kids but not been so amazing that I'd do whatever it took to keep him at the club, whereas Pelchen so far has a better track record both with us and before and strikes me as a better 'player'.

But despite what it looks like to people stuck in the old school, I applaud this very professional move. Of course tools who don't know s*** about anything else outside AFL/VFL will think the world has gone mad, the same sort of thinking that spits bits of meat pie out in disbelief when they see Asian police officers or laughs derisively if they hear of a woman - a WOMAN mind you! - being at the reins of a Football Club, and they'll greet each hiccup with the smug understanding that things really were better before we got sidetracked by all this politically correct nonsense, just like all the happy folk parroting the "The Grown Ups Are Back In Charge" line when Tony Abbott's LNP became The Political Party The Majority Would Least Mind Governing Australia.

Still folks, the only thing that matters is that SW is strong enough to ignore all the Mark Fines and Tim Rosens and Jay Clarks and ambulance chasing gossip mongering screaming blue cockatoos baying for us this St Kilda FC to burn and be born again in whatever form they desire, "for the good of the club" #shambles #farce #loveme #listentome

If Scott buys in then we win. If he doesn't and we find a modern coach, we also win. If we supporters let ourselves be influenced by people who tell us that we are a joke club, even people who believe they support us, we lose. Don't fall for it.
Great post!

HOPELESSLY DEVOTED
karnaby
Club Player

lefty wrote:I ask people... if Pelchan is so good, why did Hawthorn get rid of him?

I suspect were having the same problem as did Hawthorn...
Who cares? He's not at hawthorn now. All this constant questioning of everyone who even cast a fleeting shadow at Seaford in recent times is a target and for us to be forever seeking scapegoats adds to the very instability that has been our bane for far too long.

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
saintbob
SS Life Member

Moorabbin Man wrote:
jaxons wrote:The moment the players organised dwarfs at Mad Monday Watters position was untenable.
For those smart enough to realize who the dwarfs were representative of shows how the coach is viewed by the playing group.
We need to bite the bullet now and change things before 2014 becomes a waste of time.
Very interesting observation, I hadn't thought of it and you are probably spot on.

Hence BJ's reference to him as Frodo, from the Hobbit

karnaby
Club Player

Moorabbin Man wrote:
Rot. 1 + 1 = how many??

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
What absolute rot. There is no logic in that whatsoever. Your credibility just went out the window.

Cairsnman, the difference is I know, and you don't.
Please don't question my credibility, if you only knew!
This is a fact and known by board and executive who work at the club.
What did Brendon Goddard call him on the Footy Show?
All the players refer to him internally as such.
You can choose not to accept this, I just tell you as it is.
You may know and that is why you lose the credibility. You are clearly trading on the credibility you gained from posting the news regarding the McEvoy trade ahead of it becoming officially announced by the club.
If you are that close to an inside information source then you should pull your bloody head in, otherwise, no credibility.
Last edited by Cairnsman on Wed 16 Oct 2013 11:48am, edited 1 time in total.

karnaby
Club Player

jaxons wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
What absolute rot. There is no logic in that whatsoever. Your credibility just went out the window.

So the tail gets to wag the dog again, does it?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

karnaby wrote:
jaxons wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

So the tail gets to wag the dog again, does it?
Exactly and if that is the case then the tail should be cut off.

jaxons
Club Player

What I will do in future is not share information with our loyal supporters who can't handle the truth.
The truth being that the club made a mistake 2 years ago, and it needs to be rectified before further damage is done.
It is no shame making a mistake when you are having a go.
The shame is acknowledging it is a mistake and doing nothing about it.
You guys don't even know the half of it.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:What I will do in future is not share information with our loyal supporters who can't handle the truth.
The truth being that the club made a mistake 2 years ago, and it needs to be rectified before further damage is done.
Can you confirm, or deny, we are in DISSARY? 8-)

jaxons wrote:What I will do in future is not share information with our loyal supporters who can't handle the truth.

If you can be bothered I'm all ears for a pm with details.
I'm sick of all the innuendo, would like to know what's been happening from your sources

Bring back the Lockett era
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:

I'm sick of all the innuendo, would like to know what's been happening from your sources
I wouldnt mind a pm to, jaxons is usually accurate with info

I love this club
felix
Club Player

jonesy wrote:

keep it coming Jaxsons

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

We can handle the truth but deciphering the truth from scuttlebutt is what is needed in times like these.

And that can be difficult to do when anonymous persons on an internet forum make claims that haven't been substantiated and also without knowing what is motivating that person to post such claims on an internet forum.

It is also possible that you have an agenda. Would you care to elaborate on why you need to us to know this information?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

It would seem you now have your audience?

jaxons
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:
We can handle the truth but deciphering the truth from scuttlebutt is what is needed in times like these.

And that can be difficult to do when anonymous persons on an internet forum make claims that haven't been substantiated and also without knowing what is motivating that person to post such claims on an internet forum.

It is also possible that you have an agenda. Would you care to elaborate on why you need to us to know this information?

I think I have proved that I offer a bit more than scuttlebutt.
But I am not asking you to believe me, it is your choice.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I'm not into blind faith, much. :mrgreen:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Jaxons, what I am interested in is why the situation is irretrievable, in your view. If the coach has been given what may well be an overdue kick, is it not possible that things could change for the better?

If the coach buys into the new world order, do you think that the players won't respect that? I am not baiting you and I am genuinely interested in your perspective.

Always loyal
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

I think I have proved that I offer a bit more than scuttlebutt.
But I am not asking you to believe me, it is your choice.

All you have proved is that you were able to announce the McEvoy trade on an internet forum before the club officially announced it and your source on that account could be very logical to work out. However does that give you the right to trade on that by posting what you did. Clearly you have an agenda so as I say your credibility is diminished.

howlinwolf
Club Player

Well we've heard every man and his dog's opinion on what is happening at the club. Some so called professionals.
So far Jaxon has been the one that's on the money so I'm happy hearing from him and tuning out to trash reports.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
spert
Saintsational Legend

I'm pretty sure I would have problems working for a company where I knew some of the executives/ management were thinking I should be sacked. This issue will filter down, or, probably already has, to players and in the end, instability sets in and unrest follows- and the inevitable occurs..failure from top to bottom. If I was Watters I would just resign and save face rather than work for a bunch of back-stabbers who couldn't run a chook raffle- who would have believed we were a club that played in three grand finals just a few years ago.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

howlinwolf wrote:Well we've heard every man and his dog's opinion on what is happening at the club. Some so called professionals.
So far Jaxon has been the one that's on the money so I'm happy hearing from him and tuning out to trash reports.
So ok Jaxon, tell us what you know. Stick it here for all to see.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Jaxons I thought that at the time !

I have sensed there was something seriously wrong with what was going on there for sometime and have been critical of Scott WATTERS and his abilities. I didn't have any inside information but one could sense things were NOT all great between the players and coach.

The guy simply doesn't command respect and the playing group are the first to pick up on that. I understand the club and board are in a difficult position, but I agree with your post to not do anything is 'like leaving a cancer a fester' it will eat away at the fabric of the football club which we can see is occurring! According to other people with contacts within the club (Twitter account) we haven't heard the end of it with more dramas yet to unfold !

* I would also greatly appreciate a PM with the details. *

Thanks again and keep up the good work !
Last edited by WinnersOnly on Wed 16 Oct 2013 12:49pm, edited 2 times in total.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

The funny thing is I said to my dad it was a bit Freudian burning a dwarf when Scott would have come off second best in a wrestle with Blake.