This Years Draft.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

citywest

Re: This Years Draft.

No problem White Winmar, you're entitled to your opinion just as I am entitled to mine.

I am positive that Pelchan and co are thinking exactly the same way as my above strategy to speed up the rebuild. They did it for last years draft and they will do it again for this year if at all possible.

For example.....Hawthorn finish 1st and St Kilda finish 18th.
Hawthorn have picks 18, 36, 54, 72, 90
St Kilda have picks 1, 19, 37, 55, 73

Hawthorn get Gilbert, pick 37 and pick 55.
St Kilda get pick 18.

Would Hawthorn do this deal, probably not. But after going back to back what if Lake and Gibson both decide to retire? Would they do it then? I think they would.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I think we should be making a Roo replacement our No.1 Priority. then some mids and maybe a classy big defender. Our big forwards that we have dont appear to be up to scratch. Definitely not in the Roo category.
I agree, we have nothing coming through to replace Roo, Key Forwards of quality are so hard to find, we need to draft one

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Despite what people on here say I wouldn't be surprised to see us load up with some younger Free agents this year. I know we aren't in challenge mode but you buy quality when it comes up. This will be a year when free agents change clubs more frequently. Expect us to be looking for a good mid and a good KPP. If Carlisle is drug free we should look at him. It's a shame Jobe Watson will be suspended because he might have been good at the Saints.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Try and replicate 2013 with trading and DPs

I would take a power KPP..... Early

Mids afterwards

gringo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Try and replicate 2013 with trading and DPs

I would take a power KPP..... Early

Mids afterwards

The only players we have that would attract any kind of interest are too old, offer less trade value than there value to our list or would seriously deplete the age group we seriously lack in.

I believe this year there will be less trading for players and more organic movement from free agency. Trading for Steven would give you a top 10 pick but you start from zero again. Gilbert would give you a late 2nd rounder, Armo who has been getting better and better wouldn't get more than a 2nd rounder who might not be as good and it would lose another mid career player.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Try and replicate 2013 with trading and DPs
Give us a spell... You bitched and moaned incessantly about our trading last year, now you want a repeat.

Can't have it both ways.... Or maybe you can, complain about stuff till it comes good, then jump on board.

Remember all you friends were laughing at you though?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Despite what people on here say I wouldn't be surprised to see us load up with some younger Free agents this year. I know we aren't in challenge mode but you buy quality when it comes up. This will be a year when free agents change clubs more frequently. Expect us to be looking for a good mid and a good KPP. If Carlisle is drug free we should look at him.
How can Carlisle be a free agent? He's only 22?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Dragit

What are you on about?

Please don't lie

My Richmond friends were were laughing at me when we recruited Pattison, 4 years ago? Fair enough IMO, then Polo?!

My hawthorn and Kanga supporter mates were just thankful, for giving them just the type of player they need for their team? Mmmm ..... Yes, I suppose they were taking the piss?!

McEvoy was a massive call.... And initially looked a huge risk? But the snaring of Longer after that, turned the trade week on its head for us? Said that before? But still it's a potential A Grader, for a bonfide B Grader.... Still a risk.

Hawthorn benefitted, Kangas benefitted, Essendon benefitted, Collingwood benefitted, Sydney twice benefitted.... Fact is, we have lost many critical players whom went to other clubs and had success?

What I meant by replicate last year...is..... Give up another VG player... For a FRDP.... It's the only way now...

It will take the trading of an established though?

If you'd stop playing the man for one moment.... You'd see sense, perhs?

jimmy_slats
Club Player

have to agree with citywest on this one except i would use our first pick on a power forward as this will be the draft to get one apparently. And whitewinnmar you are the one that is trolling this thread the bloke/gal brought up a very valid scenario and all you do is waste everyones time bagging out the bloke/gal..... grow up mate we are hear to talk footy stick to that!

'WALK THIS WAY!!!!!'
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Gringo...

It has been stated in our action plan.... That we will be increasing our FRDP participation by 100% every year for the next three years.

Stanley, Armitage, Gilbert.... Will certainly be looked at... As well as some younger guys who show a bit...

Clubs around the mark will look at adding immediate impetus

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:It has been stated in our action plan.... That we will be increasing our FRDP participation by 100% every year for the next three years.

Stanley, Armitage, Gilbert.... Will certainly be looked at...
I reckon we could get a first round pick for those three guys if we threw in our first round pick as a sweetener.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Dragit

What are you on about?

Please don't lie

My Richmond friends were were laughing at me when we recruited Pattison, 4 years ago? Fair enough IMO, then Polo?!

My hawthorn and Kanga supporter mates were just thankful, for giving them just the type of player they need for their team? Mmmm ..... Yes, I suppose they were taking the piss?!

McEvoy was a massive call.... And initially looked a huge risk? But the snaring of Longer after that, turned the trade week on its head for us? Said that before? But still it's a potential A Grader, for a bonfide B Grader.... Still a risk.

Hawthorn benefitted, Kangas benefitted, Essendon benefitted, Collingwood benefitted, Sydney twice benefitted.... Fact is, we have lost many critical players whom went to other clubs and had success?

What I meant by replicate last year...is..... Give up another VG player... For a FRDP.... It's the only way now...

I'm not lying or playing the man at all... Just raising your incredible ability to absolutely bash the club on its trading process, only to quietly go onto suggest they do the same again, like it's your idea.
Here's a recent assessment...
BigMart wrote:So

Pick 9 with 6 years development... 90 games... And in the leadership group
For
Pick 17 and a VFL sweetener

Bit Like

Pick 24 and two years development
For
Pick 37

Pick 13 with 3 years development
For
Pick 43

See the pattern..... Either bad recruiters or bad traders

matrix
Saintsational Legend

march the 10th and we've got threads on the draft already

i havent even looked at the fixture yet!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
gringo wrote:Despite what people on here say I wouldn't be surprised to see us load up with some younger Free agents this year. I know we aren't in challenge mode but you buy quality when it comes up. This will be a year when free agents change clubs more frequently. Expect us to be looking for a good mid and a good KPP. If Carlisle is drug free we should look at him.
How can Carlisle be a free agent? He's only 22?

I was just helping City west get back on the the right forum so they can worry about their own issues. i wouldn't really touch any of their damaged goods.

noob
Club Player

Depends how Spencer White kicks on at the end of the year.. If he cracks it in the first time and looks the goods we should probably target the midfielders. Lenny and Montagna will not be there in 3 years by the time the new ones develop.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Howard got voted in four times. Rudd once. What is your point?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Gringo...

It has been stated in our action plan.... That we will be increasing our FRDP participation by 100% every year for the next three years.

Stanley, Armitage, Gilbert.... Will certainly be looked at... As well as some younger guys who show a bit...

It has not been stated at all. Where was this stated?? 100% each year for the next three. This is a blatant fabrication.

I was at the function for 20 year members where there was a timeline and plan mentioned - and it wasn't that. You've obviously pulled that out of your ass.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

The club have stated we will be after a major free agent, as we have cleared the salary cap to do so.

We will also trade for first round picks again. The first will be used on a key forward, the others on mids.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

matrix wrote:march the 10th and we've got threads on the draft already

i havent even looked at the fixture yet!
Just saving time Matrix. We've looked at the draw, decided we won't win a game, so moved onto the draft, where we'll have the first pick - maybe even the first three (not sure how that works but this is fantasy land so what the hell).

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote: The first will be used on a key forward,

the others on mids.
While that may be the desired ranking...it will all depend on how players are ranked when it comes to draft day. If a mid is the stand out, then that is what they will take.

Look at Billings this year. Not quite a mid, and probably not quite any particular position..but they took him as our first pick as they clearly believe he was the most talented player at our available pick.

However if Pelchen believes that it is a key forward as our No 1 need, then he may seek to trade to engineer it (by getting te player, ora pick to ensure it). It looks like there will be some handy tall forwards like Goddard though early on.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote:Gringo...

Just went back and checked. What he actually said was that we wanted 4 top 20 picks in the next three years, being the 2013-2015 drafts. We got three last year. We'll get at least one this year and next, so there's no need to trade anyone to meet that target.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:Only your opinion is correct hey White Winmar!!!??? Even though you don't deserve an explanation because you are a sook, I'll give you one anyway.

Armitage will be 26 in June. With our rebuild in full swing now, the absolute earliest the Saints can hope to play in a Grand Final again would be 2020. Realistically, I would have my money on 2022 at the very earliest. That would make Armitage 32 (best case scenario), or more likely 34+. If we do not trade Armo at the end of this season then he will not be worth trading.

Basically what I'm saying is, anyone that is older than 25 should be looked at as a possible trade (for this year and next), if it will land us picks near the top 20 or better. The 2 players that best suit this strategy are Armo and Gilbert. I'm not saying they are not good players. All I'm saying is that they are not in the right age demographic for us and we may be able to get better value for them by trading them to clubs that have a specific need. Just like Hawthorn did with Big Boy McEvoy.

You really are funny. thats all I can come up for your posts. Trading 26 year olds because they will to old when we may make the next GF. May as well have traded every player since 1966. Gold.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
BigMart wrote:Dragit

What are you on about?

Please don't lie

I'm not lying or playing the man at all... Just raising your incredible ability to absolutely bash the club on its trading process, only to quietly go onto suggest they do the same again, like it's your idea.
Here's a recent assessment...
BigMart wrote:So

Pick 9 with 6 years development... 90 games... And in the leadership group
For
Pick 17 and a VFL sweetener

Bit Like

Pick 24 and two years development
For
Pick 37

Pick 13 with 3 years development
For
Pick 43

See the pattern..... Either bad recruiters or bad traders

Nice.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Drag it, you forgot to mention the comment on Longer... Who we snared after that post... If we didn't pull off a coup with pick 19 (if it works out that way) the mcEvoy trade was poor, even strange? But if they were speaking to Billy's mgr it made sense.
McEvoy a loss
Longer a win

Overall, I'd say we came up trumps given Savage was the sweetener

Did you not agree with that analysis, where most first picks we took, were later traded after development, for lower picks???

I find it interesting, the whole world agrees our recruiting has been awful... Our current state suggest this.... I mention it and wow, it outrageous!! FFS, give me a break!

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

our number 1 pick will come in handy.