GWILT out forever....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

luckysaint
Club Player

Re: GWILT out forever....

Poor thread. Defenders will look bad when the side's getting smashed. Everyone made mistakes today.

saintjake
Club Player

2010, the team played as a unit. Gwilt played as the third tall along with Gilbert, drifting off his opponent and cutting off numerous attacks. Running off his opponent and starting numerous attacks. Kicking the ball to a midfield that moved, worked hard and made space. In both Grand Finals he was in our best couple of players. That's fact not opinion, check the reports.
He was outstanding.
Since then we have lost Dawson. So he had to at well over his height and weight bracket. He did a knee, and because of poor drafting he came back and still had to play out of his depth.
And now he is playing for the worst team in the league. Still playing on monster forwards who are getting the easiest delivery ever because the midfield is applying no pressure and is obviously down on confidence. Probably because he is playing on monsters who are getting the easiest delivery ever.
Honestly, put Gwilt in a top 4 side, played in the exact role that he played in 2010 and given a strong of games to get his confidence back and he would be in the best 22.

Sacrificed his game for the benefit of the team and because of deplorable drafting/selection and gets absolutely mauled by supporters when he is down.

Disgraceful.
How about take aim at Montagna or Steven. Arguably out best midfielders and collectively they had less touches than walker.
Also Gwilt had more touches than both of them today. Might have turned it over and made poor decisions. But who doesn't in this team at the moment.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Shocking by Joey and Steven.
Both are on serious coin. Very disappointing against a sh*t team like Carlton.

stjohnc
Club Player

saintjake wrote:2010, the team played as a unit. Gwilt played as the third tall along with Gilbert, drifting off his opponent and cutting off numerous attacks. Running off his opponent and starting numerous attacks. Kicking the ball to a midfield that moved, worked hard and made space. In both Grand Finals he was in our best couple of players. That's fact not opinion, check the reports.
He was outstanding.
Since then we have lost Dawson. So he had to at well over his height and weight bracket. He did a knee, and because of poor drafting he came back and still had to play out of his depth.
And now he is playing for the worst team in the league. Still playing on monster forwards who are getting the easiest delivery ever because the midfield is applying no pressure and is obviously down on confidence. Probably because he is playing on monsters who are getting the easiest delivery ever.
Honestly, put Gwilt in a top 4 side, played in the exact role that he played in 2010 and given a strong of games to get his confidence back and he would be in the best 22.

Sacrificed his game for the benefit of the team and because of deplorable drafting/selection and gets absolutely mauled by supporters when he is down.

Disgraceful.
How about take aim at Montagna or Steven. Arguably out best midfielders and collectively they had less touches than walker.
Also Gwilt had more touches than both of them today. Might have turned it over and made poor decisions. But who doesn't in this team at the moment.
good post

saintjake
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Shocking by Joey and Steven.
Both are on serious coin. Very disappointing against a sh*t team like Carlton.
When your midfield gets torn apart by Everitt, serious questions need to be asked.

Rubbish players, I mean absolutely trash players come out and have field days against us and it's damn embarrassing.

I'm not saying the players aren't trying, not for a second. But players who can't get a touch usually are tearing us apart.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

stjohnc wrote:
saintjake wrote:2010, the team played as a unit. Gwilt played as the third tall along with Gilbert, drifting off his opponent and cutting off numerous attacks. Running off his opponent and starting numerous attacks. Kicking the ball to a midfield that moved, worked hard and made space. In both Grand Finals he was in our best couple of players. That's fact not opinion, check the reports.
He was outstanding.

Disgraceful.
good post
2010 was his one good season of football

been average for a long time... shouldn't be getting games ahead of Bruce

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

luckysaint wrote:Poor thread. Defenders will look bad when the side's getting smashed. Everyone made mistakes today.
bahhhhhhhhhhhh seriously, I'm the first to make that reply... Gwilt was seriously a liability today. He's a leader for the youngins to look up to.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:
In both Grand Finals he was in our best couple of players. That's fact not opinion, check the reports.
Pretty sure most had Lenny and BJ as our best 2 in GF 1.

However previous years are not relevant. What is important is the present and the future.

Gwilt has been a good player for us, but not this year. His kicking once good, is now quite poor.

His time is over.

But yes I agree that he should not be played as a key defender.

On the flanks though the future will be with the likes of Webster, Wright and Co. Savage looks the goods as a HBF too.

Depending on how many are cut, Gwilt may survive for one more year.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

There's this funny train of thought going on in this forum about experience...

I expect a higher level of performance from our experienced players

If i have a choice between a player with experience that is not performing well and a jnr that is not performing well, my preference is the jnr because they have more potential upside...

Many on this forum believe in this intangible quality that experienced players playing poorly bring
Gwilt is one
Jones another
Schnieder has been highly rated for a while

To me it's the most bizarre thing
Give me guys like Ross, Savage, Milera, Bruce, Murdoch, Saunders... All who get there papers stamped sooo quickly

Heck i'd see Dunnel, Lee, Sippa, Simpkin play out the season too ( i know some r injured)

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Waste of a thread. If he's not good enough he will make way.

miskycat
Club Player

Can't believe this thread.

Team is deficient all over the place, so to try and lay blame on any player atm is just stupid.

No wonder Saintsational is dying. Same old, same old.

Go Saints.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

jamesmc
Club Player

stjohnc wrote:120 games puts him around 84 of most games played for the saints. he has now played more games than Baldock
despite being a low draft Pick 63 in 2004 he has
Played and held his spot in the strongest sides we've fielded in the last decade
188 cm tall and more often than not has to take opponents much taller
Bloody oath he deserves respect, any player that pulls on the S.Kilda jumper deserves respect
Well said.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

jamesmc wrote:
stjohnc wrote:120 games puts him around 84 of most games played for the saints. he has now played more games than Baldock
despite being a low draft Pick 63 in 2004 he has
Played and held his spot in the strongest sides we've fielded in the last decade
188 cm tall and more often than not has to take opponents much taller
Bloody oath he deserves respect, any player that pulls on the S.Kilda jumper deserves respect
Well said.
+1

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
#gosaintas
Club Player

He is a liability and should never play again

Rosco
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Having a very poor games. Unsure we need threads like this.
i'm sure about whether we need them.

stjohnc
Club Player

#gosaintas wrote:He is a liability and should never play again
you seem to have a vendatta against gwilt, your posts are repetitive and you should never post again

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

despite being a low draft Pick 63 in 2004 he has (and two more games and equals the tally of another legend :mrgreen: )
188 cm tall and more often/virtually always now days (edited to adjust an understatement.) than not has to take opponents much taller
Great post! You should post more often St JC! :idea:

The likes of Gwilt (and Dempster too) sacrifice their games for the team by having to stand power forwards, in a defence that is constantly being bombarded, instead of playing the third man up/rebounding role that is their forte. But gratitude...? Not too much from some on here.

Ever since the Skunks game in early 2010 (where Roo tore his hammy from the bone) up until he did his knee, the Mighty Fro has been a very good player for us... period. (And that's before one considers that all 18 teams would love to get a similar return from their circa No 63 draft picks. :idea: )

Is his 'time' nigh? I'm not so sure, but regardless... some respect please.

Come on Saintsationalists, you are better than the tone of much of this thread. (Though Old Mate's graphics skills are pretty impressive... :wink: )

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Don't know how my form would be if I had to play on guys 12cm taller and 10kg heavier every week. Pretty soon I'd hit the wall, I reckon. Would you play Shenton on the likes of Levi Casboult? If you did, what would your expectations be?

Gwilt should be playing on guys no taller than 191cm. He's only been able to do that a handful of times in the past two seasons. It's a confidence killer, playing on these giants, especially when the ball just gets hammered in there relentlessly.

And yet no-one seems to question Dempster's form, which has been equally poor.....fascinating

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Gwilt played better when we played both of Del and Bruce, in fact so did we...

bigballs
Club Player

We all know Gwilty is an undersized defender, so there's no use continually bagging him when he gets beaten one on one with someone much taller than him......how would you like it if you or your son were playing on someone much taller than you and you're continually getting beaten all the time.......wouldn't be much fun would it!!

Gwilty is doing the best he can in the role he's asked to play for the team and that's all we can ask from him.

Having said that, Richo surely must now realise that Bruce needs to come back into the team to play on the taller forwards, that way we can free up Gwilty to play a different role on someone more his size, whatever that role is I'm not sure, if that happens I'm sure we'll see a much better performance from him.

Gwilt turns 28 in August, so there's a few more years left in him yet providing he's given the right role to play, so let's stop bagging him and start supporting him.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Everyone respects Gwilt. Hes been an awesome player and find for us.
He is in the 5% of Saints games players of all time.

But it is a legitimate question to ask what the team achieves as a whole in the future by playing him ahead of Bruce.

We need to let a new generation of heros come through now. Bruce is 22yo. Lets get him to 50 games.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Everyone respects Gwilt. Hes been an awesome player and find for us.
He is in the top 5% of Saints games players of all time.

But it is a legitimate question to ask what the team achieves as a whole in the future by playing him ahead of Bruce.

We need to let a new generation of heros come through now. Bruce is 22yo. Lets get him to 50 games asap.

bigballs
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Everyone respects Gwilt. Hes been an awesome player and find for us.
He is in the top 5% of Saints games players of all time.

We need to let a new generation of heros come through now. Bruce is 22yo. Lets get him to 50 games asap.

I agree Con, Bruce should be playing, but so should Gwilt in my opinion, just not on a tall forward.

I think there is still a role somewhere on the field for Gwilty, maybe on a small forward in the back pocket or he can play as a half forward.

Gwilt is obviously down on confidence, who wouldn't be after the year he's had to date, a change to the forward line would probably do him a world of good.

With the injuries we have at the moment we can't afford for him not to be playing. We need our most experienced players out there......the kids can't do it all!!

Hopefully Chips will come back in soon, that should ease the pressure off our current defenders.

stjohnc
Club Player

Finally some informed discussion and not kneejerk b......t bagging
Even the the ferals at collingwood have more respect for their players than some on here have for our players
Everyone here must know the years, the dedication, the physical pain, the training, the mental anguish that players have to go through just to get to the draft .
After going through all that to finally get to pull on a jumper and represent our club and get called a prick and useless from some that have in all probability never played a game is so wrong.
The booing of Troy Swarze at the end of the 2004 wizard cup was sickening
We are meant to be SUPPORTers