Don't give up on ...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Re: Don't give up on ...

Razor wrote:Spencer had his chance late last year and looked terrible. Cant mark, can't kick and can't develop a tank even after an extended preseason. Won't be on the list next year.
Yeah he looks terrible.
Only one goal ahead of Lockett at the same stage of his career.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
spert
Saintsational Legend

White comes in for a couple of games last year, looks every bit like he has the attributes to be a senior AFL footballer- the advantage of being tall and mobile, kicks 3 goals in a losing team, yet they wont play him this season. I would rather be giving him game time in the seniors right now as the best course for his development, not languishing in the VFL and being micro-managed. I've seen a lot less impressive debuts from players who went on to be top AFL players. I guess if Membrey or Bruce hit a big form slump, then he might get a look in, as Paddy is a season off yet.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

spert wrote:White comes in for a couple of games last year, looks every bit like he has the attributes to be a senior AFL footballer- the advantage of being tall and mobile, kicks 3 goals in a losing team, yet they wont play him this season. I would rather be giving him game time in the seniors right now as the best course for his development, not languishing in the VFL and being micro-managed. I've seen a lot less impressive debuts from players who went on to be top AFL players. I guess if Membrey or Bruce hit a big form slump, then he might get a look in, as Paddy is a season off yet.
So you are into just gifting games to players who are contributing absolutely nothing to their VFL team.

Extremely disappointed that the gifted taste White got last year hasn't lit a fire under him.

Does not deserve to get a game in our seniors even if we are the worse team in the league. On Sundays effort, should probably not hold his spot in the Sandy seniors.

He is only twenty, but was given a one year contract only. That tells you what the club thinks of him. Basically pull your finger out or you are chopped. Why gift a player who may be delisted games ahead of true prospects.

he has four months to come on or otherwise I think the club has made it clear he will be delisted.

You are garbage - Enough said
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Razor wrote:Spencer had his chance late last year and looked terrible. Cant mark, can't kick and can't develop a tank even after an extended preseason. Won't be on the list next year.

Do you want to place a bet on that?

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Saynta, Bunk et al. Please give it a rest. This is exactly the kind of personal nastiness that people were saying on the "Saintsational is slowly dying' thread turns them off the forum. Tit for tat put downs and derogatory comments that serve no purpose other than to put the other poster down. There's a discussion about footy going on and it's hijacked by personal insults that contribute nothing to the forum. Have moved various posts to the AE where you can knock yourselves out if you want to.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

We've only had four rounds of footy. White may come out and kick 5 for Sandy this week. Or not.

But he still has a fair while to prove himself. If he's good enough, he will.

As KB says, don't leave it up to the selectors, you pick yourself by making your form that good that you can't be left out. Hopefully White does that.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

tony74 wrote:Spencer. Still lots of work being put in by the coaches. He definitely hasn't given up either.
Once again a lot of you have read more into this statement than was warranted. The post was mainly in response to a few negative posts ans comments about Spencer and the view of some that he wasn't trying. I can categorically tell you that Spencer is 100% invested in St.Kilda. He is enthusiastic and committed to training and following the coaches and training staffs instructions. He gives as much as is humanly possible and the coaches give him their full attention.
So what's the problem. He doesn't have natural endurance so matter what he does ( whether it's basically living in the altitude rooms during pre season or doing extra work after training ) he just can't get that tank. But it's not a lack of effort.
As for him not getting a game. Think of the GC Suns. Gone from potential finalists to easy eats. The reason a new coach and game plan. Same with Spencer. We saw what he is capable of last year but does that ability and style fit in with the long term plan of playing and winning finals in the future. The coaches think not, so he has to go back to the drawing board and learn and play to the plan. And when he does he will get selected, and his natural ability will again be evident. I stress however he has to be a team player first. HE KNOWS THIS. He is working on this.
In summary.
Still lots of work being put in by the coaches. He definitely hasn't given up either.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Hutches ode to Spencer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY8APrYU2Gs

I'm not sure what Starsky thinks.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

tony74 wrote:
tony74 wrote:Spencer. Still lots of work being put in by the coaches. He definitely hasn't given up either.
Once again a lot of you have read more into this statement than was warranted. The post was mainly in response to a few negative posts ans comments about Spencer and the view of some that he wasn't trying. I can categorically tell you that Spencer is 100% invested in St.Kilda. He is enthusiastic and committed to training and following the coaches and training staffs instructions. He gives as much as is humanly possible and the coaches give him their full attention.
So what's the problem. He doesn't have natural endurance so matter what he does ( whether it's basically living in the altitude rooms during pre season or doing extra work after training ) he just can't get that tank. But it's not a lack of effort.
As for him not getting a game. Think of the GC Suns. Gone from potential finalists to easy eats. The reason a new coach and game plan. Same with Spencer. We saw what he is capable of last year but does that ability and style fit in with the long term plan of playing and winning finals in the future. The coaches think not, so he has to go back to the drawing board and learn and play to the plan. And when he does he will get selected, and his natural ability will again be evident. I stress however he has to be a team player first. HE KNOWS THIS. He is working on this.
In summary.
Still lots of work being put in by the coaches. He definitely hasn't given up either.
Thanks for the info Tony.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

While he is only 20, I guess towards the end of this (his 3rd) year he will need to be showing improvement. Can handle a young key position player not being ready for AFL footy at 20, but they still need to be showing decent improvement each year.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:
In summary.
Really fishy post.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
spert
Saintsational Legend

Just play him- he is not going to be a VFL star- its the bigger stage for him

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Thanks Tony. Glad to know he's 100% committed. Remember all those issues that Anthony Rocca had early in his career? Just didn't have the tank, and it took a power of work AND some patience and diligence for the coaching and fitness staff to get him to an acceptable fitness level. It took about 4 years, as I recall.

Spencer obviously has some talent and some qualities that would make him a difficult opponent for defenders. It's not like we're dealing with someone like Paul Cahill who was on our list a few years back.

We have so few players with that X factor. Dermott Brereton, irrespective of what people think of his personality, is a pretty good judge of football talent and he reckons Spencer is one of the very few young players on our list who has star potential.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

cwrcyn wrote:Thanks Tony. Glad to know he's 100% committed. Remember all those issues that Anthony Rocca had early in his career? Just didn't have the tank, and it took a power of work AND some patience and diligence for the coaching and fitness staff to get him to an acceptable fitness level. It took about 4 years, as I recall.

Spencer obviously has some talent and some qualities that would make him a difficult opponent for defenders. It's not like we're dealing with someone like Paul Cahill who was on our list a few years back.

We have so few players with that X factor. Dermott Brereton, irrespective of what people think of his personality, is a pretty good judge of football talent and he reckons Spencer is one of the very few young players on our list who has star potential.
And Derm also said that we wouldn't win a game this year. Shows how much he knows..

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

spert wrote:Just play him- he is not going to be a VFL star- its the bigger stage for him
Play him on the basis of what? The Tommy Walsh factor?

Why do you want to gift games to someone who is showing absolutely nothing in the twos?

he is currently not up to it and he would take a spot of someone else more deserving.

I really hope he makes it. Would be fantastic, but he has to earn it.

You are garbage - Enough said
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

'And Derm also said that we wouldn't win a game this year. Shows how much he knows..'

He'll be mighty close with that prediction. He's knows bit about key forwards, too

Razor
Club Player

Spencer started his own preseason a month early and still can't get fit enough. Didn't even get picked to play a preseason game. Only got offered a 1 year contract last year. Will be rookie listed at best next year.

bigballs
Club Player

I remember when I first saw him in an intra-club match at Seaford in 2013 . He took a couple of great marks that day and kicked a couple of goals through memory.

At the time I thought "wow"......this kids going to be good , but unfortunately, apart from a few good VFL games and a fairly decent debut for us last year, he hasn't really stepped up any, which is disappointing to say the least.

Hopefully in the next month or so, he'll start to show some good form and challenge for a spot in the one's.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:
In summary.
Thanks for the insights Tony. Really intriguing comments. IF he can't be an endurance beast ala Roo or Buddy I guess Spencer needs to be a real presence in the fwd 50 maybe more like Kozzie. And being able to lock the ball in with fwd defensive pressure would be a good string to his bow. I'm sure they'll give him a crack sometime this year if he's working his butt off.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think Tony and the insider Brian Speaking on big footy get mixed up in my head. He seems to have written him off already. I thought Tony had said he was a bit of a lazy spud with no determination.

Heidelberg_Saint
Club Player

"In God we trust, all others bring data".

Tony74, you're not our God.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Heidelberg_Saint wrote:
"In God we trust, all others bring data".

Tony74, you're not our God.
That quote by Tony74 doesn't fill me with hope

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
loris
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I think Tony and the insider Brian Speaking on big footy get mixed up in my head. He seems to have written him off already. I thought Tony had said he was a bit of a lazy spud with no determination.
I don't think you will find a post with tony74 calling any Saints player a spud............. so is this Tony you refer to our tony74? Definitely not the type of language our tony74 uses IMO

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Amazing how the "fate" of players can change so quickly...

Many on here were saying not that long ago that Bruce would not make a key forward. Now he looks to be a "lock".

White finished last season with several promising games, but now is supposesdly "finished".

White hasa lot of talent and was always said to bea project palyer even if he did havea great "highlights" real, so I would not be ruling him at ye.
On here is just a rant, it means SFA in the real world, why is that so difficult to fathom..

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Looks like they've given up on him - in the development squad tomorrow.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!