Player swoop?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Player swoop?

i dont know

“Yeah….nah””
stjay
Club Player

Jacks Back wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:Sloane, Shiel and Treloar are all elite mids but the reason for us to throw everything we have at Sloane is because he is not contracted for 2016. To get Shiel or Treloar we'd be looking at giving up our first pick and a decent player. Yes, those two guys are exactly what we need but that's a huge price to pay. If Sloane agreed to come to us we do not have to trade anything, and he's got 5-6 years of very good footy left in him. I'd be thrilled if we got him at 700k per year for 5. He could be a real catalyst in us pushing high into the top 8 earlier than expected.

I don't think any of them are contracted. It will cost about the same for all 3 players. it will be a top 5 pick at least. It makes no sense getting a 26 year old and losing our first pick. If we are going to lose it we need to lose it for a 21 or 22 year old.
No one pays in draft picks for free agents or have they changed the rules again?
None are free agents

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

If they are OOC you can a) trade, b) wait for them to become DFA or 3) PSD.

trading is the best option but what price for example would #3 for Sloan and #12 be fair?

if not and the OOC hasn't signed by 31 Oct (I think) then I think they may become a DFA.Not sure of the rules for DFA.

Lastly and leastly i the PSD which is hardly ever used.

I can see us swapping our 1st round dp for an OOC. Mabye if we win no more games we may get a PP and can use that, but that is looking unlikely.

We will have to wait and see

You are garbage - Enough said
ace
Saintsational Legend

Forget it we don't need trade-ins yet.
We need to keep as much salary cap in reserve as possible.
Increase Riewoldt to 2 million if necessary.
Then when we are genuine premiership contenders again we can do what Hawthorn did.
Trading in star players who want to come to the club not for money but to win a premiership.
But you need the room in the salary cap to do that.
A full salary cap is the real why reason we did not get a premiership in our last window.
Because we could not pay players to join us.

To make a mistake is human, to repeat it is unforgiveable.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:Forget it we don't need trade-ins yet.
We need to keep as much salary cap in reserve as possible.
Increase Riewoldt to 2 million if necessary.
Then when we are genuine premiership contenders again we can do what Hawthorn did.
Trading in star players who want to come to the club not for money but to win a premiership.
But you need the room in the salary cap to do that.
A full salary cap is the real why reason we did not get a premiership in our last window.
Because we could not pay players to join us.

To make a mistake is human, to repeat it is unforgiveable.

We can get a young guy now and do some creative accounting on his wage so that in another year we grab a FA. Pay upfront on a long term contract for example. It isn't to early for a 22 year old but I think it is for a 26 year old when both will require the loss of a low first round pick at least.

sMarty_saints
Club Player

ausfatcat wrote:
sMarty_saints wrote:I heard a rumour and it could be just that, a very good player could be coming back to Melbourne......sold their house and everything. He would be great for our team, but that is someone telling me at work and therefore there is absolutely no concrete evidence or anything like that or even any whispers around the media....maybe it is wishful thinking on my part.

why would they sell their house so many months before moving?
I am only going by what he said, which i thought it was a bit strange when he told me.

Pleasing
Club Player

I think we would have a hard time convincing Sloane to play hardball and screw Adelaide via the Preseason Draft not only will he be vilified by the whole AFL community he will quite possibly be putting himself in a very vulnerable position if we don't have Pick 1.

The Delisted Free Agent path is not an option as it would require Adelaide to Delist him prior to the DFA deadline. This is not something Adelaide would be inclined to do if we had been unreasonable in trade discussions, I am sure they would force him to the PSD.

Only other option is he nominates for the Draft or Pre-Season Draft as an out of contract player and that only works if we have Pick 1 in the Preseason Draft. If we don't have pick 1 we could get him to nominate a very high salary but it means he would have to run the gauntlet and hope that say Brisbane or Carlton or Melbourne didn't have the cap space to nab him. History shows most clubs would not take the risk of spending a huge amount on a player that wants to be at another club, never the less if I was Sloane this is not a risk I would be keen to take.

So whilst it is technically possible to get him via the PSD I think the chances of it happening are remote. I think if we are forcing him down that path he will either resign with Adelaide or look for another Melbourne team that is prepared to trade reasonably with the Crows.

Let me in
FQF
SS Life Member

Tippett went via the PSD

Pleasing
Club Player

Tippett didn't have any other options given the salary cap investigation meant that the AFL blocked any Trade. I am not saying it can't happen just that it is extremely unlikely.

Let me in
SMS
Club Player

Sloane at 700k for 5 years without using pick would be great.
Shiel or trelor might be worth the pick too.
We need Key defenders over next 2 years.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Hannebery 24 year old....would love to poach him from Swans (after Plugger and Hall)

Nee!
stjay
Club Player

SMS wrote:Sloane at 700k for 5 years without using pick would be great.
Goddard and Lee look as though they might be likely key defenders.
We desperately need quality midfield grunt & depth.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:Sloane at 700k for 5 years without using pick would be great.

Can you explain how we can get Sloane without using a pick? Sounds impossible to me.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Sorry, I thought he was a uncontracted 8 yr player. I am a year early.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

A few interesting prospects on other teams lists..
Port Adelaide, Tom Clurey, a 193 defender, And Mason Shaw, 197 cm forward, who have been on Ports list for three years and have played one game between them. They might think it was time for a change.

sMarty_saints
Club Player

fugazi wrote:Hannebery 24 year old....would love to poach him from Swans (after Plugger and Hall)
He would be good! We need some midfield types.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:A few interesting prospects on other teams lists..
Port Adelaide, Tom Clurey, a 193 defender, And Mason Shaw, 197 cm forward, who have been on Ports list for three years and have played one game between them. They might think it was time for a change.

Sounds like players who should be playing a lower league and not players we should be chasing.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Sounds like players who should be playing a lower league and not players we should be chasing.
Why not?

Do you know anything about them except what BB has written?

Or it is because they havent played in a super-talented Port Adelaide side that you have decided to dismiss them outright?

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Why not?

Or it is because they havent played in a super-talented Port Adelaide side that you have decided to dismiss them outright?

If a player has spent 3 year at a club and played one game at the most I would suggest 95% of those players aren't up to it. Im prepared to say the club wont have a go at the 5% that may become fair players. Id rather look at guys who have at least had a few games. Just because Port are a good side doesn't mean you cant get a game.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Why not?

If a player has spent 3 year at a club and played one game at the most I would suggest 95% of those players aren't up to it. Im prepared to say the club wont have a go at the 5% that may become fair players. Id rather look at guys who have at least had a few games. Just because Port are a good side doesn't mean you cant get a game.
So you know absolutely nothing about Clurey and Shaw and just assume because they cant break into a top 4 senior side as an 18 to 20 yo then they must be hacks?

However on the hand you would be prepared to consider a couple of players who have played two or three games for a bottom dweller like Carlton because they played a few games in the AFL

Pretty simple shallow minded recruiting philosophy

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

There's a market for targeting 23-26 best players on a list. Membrey, Savage, josh Kennedy, longer, etc. of course some like TDL don't work out. Tom Clurey should definitely be on our short list.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Why not?

So you know absolutely nothing about Clurey and Shaw and just assume because they cant break into a top 4 senior side as an 18 to 20 yo then they must be hacks?

However on the hand you would be prepared to consider a couple of players who have played two or three games for a bottom dweller like Carlton because they played a few games in the AFL

Well that's just made up. Expected. What is your opinion apart from potting me? Got many examples of players making it with that sought of record?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Why not?

Apparently Clurey was on our list for the draft. Was a slightly undersized KPD though so some on the forums weren't keen. I think you will find most good clubs have some guys struggling to break into the seniors after 3 years on the list. Especially KPs. I remember you said that about Ben Griffiths, Kobe Stevens and Ben Brown too. If you say all players are no good because they aren't playing senior AFL you will be right sometimes but I hope we would do more than write off anyone without looking at their form at the level they are playing at. Bruce goes okay.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:There's a market for targeting 23-26 best players on a list. Membrey, Savage, josh Kennedy, longer, etc. of course some like TDL don't work out. Tom Clurey should definitely be on our short list.
Clurey has Carlile, Trengove, Jonas and Hombsch in front of him - all older and with very solid playing records - all of these players have played every game this season so far

Clurey current form in the SANFL has been very solid - he actually has played one game of AFL in Round 1 last year against Carlton (his second season) - very likely to get a game if one of the 4 aforementioned players get injured

Mason Shaw has Schulz and Westhoff in front of him - both these players have hardly missed a game in the last 3 seasons - Shaw has also had some groin and wrist issues but kicked plenty of goals last season (his second) in the SANFL.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Why not?

Apparently Clurey was on our list for the draft. Was a slightly undersized KPD though so some on the forums weren't keen. I think you will find most good clubs have some guys struggling to break into the seniors after 3 years on the list. Especially KPs. I remember you said that about Ben Griffiths, Kobe Stevens and Ben Brown too. If you say all players are no good because they aren't playing senior AFL you will be right sometimes but I hope we would do more than write off anyone without looking at their form at the level they are playing at. Bruce goes okay.

Gringo I cannot believe you are lying like that to prove a point. I have never ever mentioned Griffiths or Brown. Never. Well once. Now. And im pretty sure Koby Stevens had played a few games when traded. These guys have one between them. And when did I say all players are no good because they aren't playing senior footy. Talk about emotive lies. What has Bruce got to do with this discussion. Really you either cant read, don't want to read or just talk crap because what you have just posted has nothing to do with the reality of this discussion. Anyway Im happy for all these examples of guys who have played one game in 3 years becoming good AFL players. I think our club is smart enough to work on percentages and not emotive posting that has many untruths in it. Even your first sentence is probably made up unless the saints produce lists of players we probably will take.