New midfielder

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Re: New midfielder

So the wing is the midfield right?! Looks like gusto 'heard' correctly after all

Peace!

#1 Ryder fan
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

It's great, I think it's great for our forward lines development.

The over reliance on him has existed a long time.

http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... e#p1193866

Saint wagga
Club Player

MC Gusto wrote:So the wing is the midfield right?! Looks like gusto 'heard' correctly after all

Peace!
Mate that must feel like sweet vindication!! Good call! I love seeing him roam the length of the field and the more he can get his hands on it the better...as Richo said in the presser, he's a good field kick and a good descision maker...certainly some 'forward' thinking and planning about the move. If the urban cowboy can stay injury free and stayin good form, it will allow us to experiment with the second power forward, Hickey, McCartin, White, Lee depending on form and injury...it's a better conundrum than in the pre season!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:It's great, I think it's great for our forward lines development.
Agree, plus Rooey's going to love not having three guys hanging off him at every comtest. Long overdue

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I see his value in drifting in and out - a quarter here, a quarter there, as the need arises.

Key strengths - marking ability, size, "prescence," field positioning nouse, aerobic capacity. Less so - agility around the ball at stoppages, less direct impact on scoring, outright pace.

He is certainly a difficult match-up for the opposition, especially if we play through him on the way out.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Done his champion work as a forward, and as an old bloke with wobbly knees now, he is not going to spend a lot of time up on the wing- just a few cameos in a few games I reckon as AR sees fit. I tend to think Gilbert will come back on a wing.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Done his champion work as a forward, and as an old bloke with wobbly knees now, he is not going to spend a lot of time up on the wing- just a few cameos in a few games I reckon as AR sees fit. I tend to think Gilbert will come back on a wing.
Riewoldt, Armitage, Gilbert. I don't mind that as a centre line. One thing about Rooey, even now, dodgy knees and all, is that he loves to run and loves blowing up opponents. It's his great strength.

Plus we are trying to develop a forward line for the future, a point I'm sure is not lost on Rooey, Richo, or the club

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Gershwin wrote:Rob Harvey once said that Riewoldt was one of the most natural Forwards he had ever seen and scoffed at the idea he should play anywhere else. I can't agree more.
I reckon that Rob Harvey (coll) would be pretty happy about Roo moving into the center now

Seeya
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

If Sammy Gilbert can get back, do we stick him on the other wing?

Saints94
SS Life Member

prwilkinson wrote:If Sammy Gilbert can get back, do we stick him on the other wing?
would he have the same agility as the Sam Gilbert we all know, that would be my only question..

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Saints94 wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:If Sammy Gilbert can get back, do we stick him on the other wing?
would he have the same agility as the Sam Gilbert we all know, that would be my only question..
I know what you mean.... It feels like years since Sammy has played. Who knows what footballer he'll return as. It's like Part 2 of his career.

FQF
SS Life Member

Gilbo would make a useful winger for our team in its current state. Like Roo, he can play the 'connect' role in transition with his marking ability while also breaking the lines and helping the offensive thrust with his foot speed.
Kicking isn't great, but not as bad as some like to suggest, and can be encouraged to look for an overlap handball to help that problem.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Like the idea of Gilbo on a wing

#1 Ryder fan
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Before this season I was convinced St Kilda had the worst midfield in the competition.

I thought Jack Steven was probably our only "A Grade" midfleider, with David Armitage and Joey solid working types.

But Armitage is in All Australian form. We've 'discovered' Lonie, McKenzie and Sinclair and now we've added Nick Riewoldt on the wing.

All of a sudden our midfield looks very respectable, and not the worst in the AFL.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:So the wing is the midfield right?! Looks like gusto 'heard' correctly after all

Peace!
Mmmm no. The wing is not the midfield. Roo doesn't have great lateral movement you need hunting those balls bobbling around. But he's a great link up man and can pass the ball well so pushing up on the wings and even pushing back to help defence fit well. And if he drifts into the middle of the ground he's definitely not the worst as he showed last week after he got rid of the rust. It makes us so much less one dimensional than a "kick it to Roo" forward line

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:It makes us so much less one dimensional than a "kick it to Roo" forward line
You said it

FQF
SS Life Member

We call it wing but it's hardly the prototype winger role that Roo is playing. I view it as a very, very high CHF who roams all over the ground taking marks and connecting defence to attack.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:

Peace!
Mmmm no. The wing is not the midfield. Roo doesn't have great lateral movement you need hunting those balls bobbling around. But he's a great link up man and can pass the ball well so pushing up on the wings and even pushing back to help defence fit well. And if he drifts into the middle of the ground he's definitely not the worst as he showed last week after he got rid of the rust. It makes us so much less one dimensional than a "kick it to Roo" forward line

Of course the wing is the midfield but Roo played it differently. He was really just a high HFF. If he played the wing like 99% of midfielders he would rush in and try and be at every stoppage around the ground apart from really deep in the forward and backline. He cant do that because he isn't good enough below his knees and lets be really honest he didn't have a great game on the wing. he was ok at best. He wont play that role to often and I didn't see many say the forward line looked better and more open against carlton and the pies when he wasn't there. I certainly hope he continues to play forward and the occasional run as an outside winger. A bit of a coincidence I think last week. Not a huge sample size to say it will or wont work but I do know Roo forward does work.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Wherever he plays, he'll be better for the run...was rusty as

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Bluthy wrote:

Peace!

Of course the wing is the midfield but Roo played it differently. He was really just a high HFF. If he played the wing like 99% of midfielders he would rush in and try and be at every stoppage around the ground apart from really deep in the forward and backline. He cant do that because he isn't good enough below his knees and lets be really honest he didn't have a great game on the wing. he was ok at best. He wont play that role to often and I didn't see many say the forward line looked better and more open against carlton and the pies when he wasn't there. I certainly hope he continues to play forward and the occasional run as an outside winger. A bit of a coincidence I think last week. Not a huge sample size to say it will or wont work but I do know Roo forward does work.

I don't know if you went but he lined up on the edge the square a couple of times at least when I paid attention. I think he is better than you would think at getting the ball off the ground. He actually sets up a few goals with his quick hands and ability to chase down loose ball. We are much less likely to see any player sit in position these days. There was a few times last week where I was laughing with my dad because every player on the ground at one point was in one corner of the ground inside the Bulldogs 50. It looked very odd. Often only one player was forward with everyone else back. Lonie, Sinclair etc are getting plenty of possessions in our backline despite setting up as small forwards. Rooey has always been good at getting all over the ground, he is actually just setting up in a different spot I think the surprise factor will wear off eventually and he will end up a KPF full time though.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Bluthy wrote:

Peace!

I don't know if you went but he lined up on the edge the square a couple of times at least when I paid attention. I think he is better than you would think at getting the ball off the ground. He actually sets up a few goals with his quick hands and ability to chase down loose ball. We are much less likely to see any player sit in position these days. There was a few times last week where I was laughing with my dad because every player on the ground at one point was in one corner of the ground inside the Bulldogs 50. It looked very odd. Often only one player was forward with everyone else back. Lonie, Sinclair etc are getting plenty of possessions in our backline despite setting up as small forwards. Rooey has always been good at getting all over the ground, he is actually just setting up in a different spot I think the surprise factor will wear off eventually and he will end up a KPF full time though.
No I didn't go. Saw the game on the replay on Tuesday. And I don't get your point where he lined up. Where else would he line up apart from where you suggested. And yep he was involved in scoring chains just like any wingmen would be. he was nothing special though and didn't play that well on the wing. And all the rest you have mentioned in all true. Actually I would be surprised if he doesn't play as a forward for most of the game this week. I certainly hope so.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Bluthy wrote:

Peace!

He and Joey were both coming back from injury.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Bluthy wrote:

Peace!

He and Joey were both coming back from injury.

Thanks.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Bluthy wrote:

Peace!

No I didn't go. Saw the game on the replay on Tuesday. And I don't get your point where he lined up. Where else would he line up apart from where you suggested. And yep he was involved in scoring chains just like any wingmen would be. he was nothing special though and didn't play that well on the wing. And all the rest you have mentioned in all true. Actually I would be surprised if he doesn't play as a forward for most of the game this week. I certainly hope so.
His output isn't as huge as it was as a forward either. I think he has had a less than ideal build up this year and he is at least able to get in the play rather than sharing the scraps with Bruce. He still goes off when the ball doesn't go through him in the forward line. Can't remember who but he gave a spray to someone for not kicking to him in that game.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:He still goes off when the ball doesn't go through him in the forward line. Can't remember who but he gave a spray to someone for not kicking to him in that game.
I thought Rooey on the wing worked really well in the second half Saturday.

It's win-win because not only will it give him a second wind, it will allow us to develop a forward line post-Riewoldt.

We are making some progress there with Bruce, Billings, Sinclair, Lonie, and the past few weeks, Hickey.