Player swoop?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stjay
Club Player

Re: Player swoop?

Vazelos wrote:Problem is Dangerfield is strong to leave & they will throw a lot to Sloane to keep him.
I cant see both being allowed to go & I have heard Sloane has Pubs in Adelaide.
I would love to see him at the Saints, he supported us as a boy, lets see but the intent is there to nail a top liner in the mid field it seems.
Reckon you're right - they are going to throw the kitchen sink at him.
Which worries me that we're going to pay overs to get him just to do the deal.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote:
stjay wrote:
The Recruit wrote:Mat Finnes did nothing to dispel the Sloan rumor on SEN today, he pretty much suggested he would fit in at the saints he he was willing to come. David Schwartz also said the saints were heavily into Sloan, he may have read the same inside football article but I imagine he would be more 'in the know' than the average supporter.
I just heard his SEN interview. They are definitely having a crack at Rory Sloane.
Yeah if you read between the lines it seems talks are well underway.
Looks like we are seriously hunting the Sloane ranger. There are pros and cons with this.

PROS
-- He could open our premiership window earlier and for longer - sometimes you can pinch a flag a bit early. If the kids develop quickly as quality support (which they seem to be) then with Armo, Steven, Sloane could give us that first wave attack at a flag. IF it fails then Billings, Acres, Dunstan all come into their prime and we launch a second wave.
-- We need more class
-- We still need more leaders with the amounts of retirings coming up
-- If we don't give up any high picks he's basically a bonus
-- We have cap space so lets use it

CONS
-- I really worry about clubs that almost prostitute themselves to get a big player - Ablett, Buddy, Judd,. It can destroy some sense of team spirit especially if they come in on big coin. And they can almost make other players feel they can take a back seat role even subconsciously.
-- It takes really strong leaders to incorporate good players who come in lots of ego and their own ideas of how they want to play footy and I don't think we have that next gen of leaders yet.
-- To me there is no point giving up our highest draft picks. Its backtracking on the path we have gone down. We already regret some of the picks we have traded *cough* Lee *cough*. Lets keep backing our recruiters to get it right like they seem to for the last 2 years and we will have a gun for possibly 15 years.
-- He could make us "too good, too early" and we miss out on stocking up on more of those delicious elite high draft picks

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I really like and rate Sloan he would improve our midfield no doubt but just not the right time for mine
Hes 26 when we get him, we'll pay well overs and he isnt Buddy for that...

I too am in the camp of we are starting to get some real serious kids with skill in - get another top line pick in this years draft (most high end picks nowadays they get right and can play) - aka another Billings, keep the cap low and possible next year go hard at Sheil.

Last thing I want is saints running to the trade top up shop too early cause we have some cap room.......be strategic/smart about it.

“Yeah….nah””
Vazelos
Club Player

You may pay some overs but how much are we prepared to pay?!!!
We also have to trade for him, he is not free agency.
What are we prepared to give to get him?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos wrote:You may pay some overs but how much are we prepared to pay?!!!

Well its at least a top 5 pick so we lose our first rounder. I certainly would for a few 21 or 22 year olds but not for a 26 year old. I don't care about the money. I don't think it effects other players what players get when changing clubs.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: keep the cap low and possible next year go hard at Sheil.
I think the problem is that Sheil comes out of contract at the end of this year not next year - so it makes sense to go for him now

If we want him we are probably going to cough up quite a bit this year let alone next year when he will be contracted elsewhere

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Well its at least a top 5 pick so we lose our first rounder. I certainly would for a few 21 or 22 year olds but not for a 26 year old. I don't care about the money. I don't think it effects other players what players get when changing clubs.
Its been pointed out on BF that there are very few cases where a top 5 pick has been given up for an uncontracted player - I think Judd was mentioned as one

Dayne Beams last year went to the Brions for top 5 pick and some but he was contracted

Similar to Shiel is someone like Dom Tyson who went to Melbourne for Pick 2, 20 & 72 - but Melbourne also got back pick 9 & 53

Of course Shiel is somewhat further down the development track but if we finished say 14th (pick 5 & 23) and GWS finished 7th (pick 12) would anyone be willing to swap

picks 5, 23 and our 4th pick

for

Shiel, pick 12 & GWS's 5th pick??

Pretty much a mirror image of the Tyson trade but the later picks have been swapped

Keeping in mind that we could finish lower and GWS could finish higher - which would be better for them

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
FQF
SS Life Member

Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Its been pointed out on BF that there are very few cases where a top 5 pick has been given up for an uncontracted player - I think Judd was mentioned as one

Dayne Beams last year went to the Brions for top 5 pick and some but he was contracted

Similar to Shiel is someone like Dom Tyson who went to Melbourne for Pick 2, 20 & 72 - but Melbourne also got back pick 9 & 53

Of course Shiel is somewhat further down the development track but if we finished say 14th (pick 5 & 23) and GWS finished 7th (pick 12) would anyone be willing to swap

picks 5, 23 and our 4th pick

for

Shiel, pick 12 & GWS's 5th pick??

Pretty much a mirror image of the Tyson trade but the later picks have been swapped

Keeping in mind that we could finish lower and GWS could finish higher - which would be better for them
I would take that in a heartbeat. But your comparison of Shiel to Tyson is off the mark. Tyson was not a lock in their best 22, Shiel is in their top 5 players, probably top 3 (with Cameron and Treloar).

SMS
Club Player

I know its really professional these days but sloane and his family are massive saints fans.
He would fit in very well. Great fast player which we need that run. So why not? Wont have to trade a pick will we?
If we can grt him for 700k that would be a great deal. He has many years left. He seems a great leader and person to have.
Why not get trelor and sloane??
We can afford that. Imagine the midfield then??? Reiwoldt Fish and dempster still fit .... Finals? He he.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

All comes down to what Sloane wants.

If he wants to do a Luke ball and say only go to the saints then we are in the box seat.

In the end it comes down to his decision, what we are willing to pay and what Adelaide want in return.

BUT,

I think he will stay at Adelaide and we are after a smaller fry that wont cost the titanic to get.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

The truth of the matter is we are really struggling to meet minimum cap requirement. Our contracts are already front loaded to the hilt, even forecasting re-signings years ahead, we have excess cap we NEED to spend. We could pay Curren and the likes 100's of K's above their value - or get a Sloane. Anyway, I think you better get use to the idea of Sloane in a Saints jumper.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Old Mate, you are on the money my friend!

I hope we find a way to keep our first pick, I only want to give up our first pick if we get two guns eg Shiel and Sloane for our first two picks.

This will be the first draft since Luke Ball pick 2 that we would be drafting a genuine 100% already gun midfielder with a top 3 pick.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:Old Mate, you are on the money my friend!

I hope we find a way to keep our first pick, I only want to give up our first pick if we get two guns eg Shiel and Sloane for our first two picks.

This will be the first draft since Luke Ball pick 2 that we would be drafting a genuine 100% already gun midfielder with a top 3 pick.

I cant see how you get Sloane or and keep a first round pick. If I was losing a first rounder its got to be for a younger guy. I would love Shiel if even slightly possible. I hope we are bluffing saying we are after Sloane and are actually working hard on Shiel. Who cares if you don't have a first round pick if you get a star like that. Unfortunately I cant see how it could be similar to the Tyson trade because one is a star and the other was a fairly promising player.

Have to got any examples lately of star players crossing to another club and not getting their true value. I cant think of any. Forget FA because it doesn't apply or players crossing to GWS or GC like Ablett because again that doesn't apply. I suppose Judd didn't get true value but he still cost a first round pick and in the end a great player.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I cant see how you get Sloane or and keep a first round pick. If I was losing a first rounder its got to be for a younger guy. I would love Shiel if even slightly possible. I hope we are bluffing saying we are after Sloane and are actually working hard on Shiel. Who cares if you don't have a first round pick if you get a star like that. Unfortunately I cant see how it could be similar to the Tyson trade because one is a star and the other was a fairly promising player.

Have to got any examples lately of star players crossing to another club and not getting their true value. I cant think of any. Forget FA because it doesn't apply or players crossing to GWS or GC like Ablett because again that doesn't apply. I suppose Judd didn't get true value but he still cost a first round pick and in the end a great player.
I am the same, I rate Sloane but he isn't worth anything overs. I want Shiel and Treloar not some 26 yo too. I would probably swap a first rounder for Sloan on it's own if it's 6 to 10 but anything lower than that and I would rather go the kid and look at FA next year when some real quality comes on the market.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

Agree.

The only 2 players that I can remember that the club got unders is when the player shafted the club eg Ball and Nick Stevens. I cant think of anyone else.

And as above I would only loose a low first round pick on Shiel or Treloar unless Slone comes with good accessories.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saint6709
Club Player

People will go Mad but I would look at Watts - the right age', under performing no.1 draft pick , out of favour , local - not sure of his contract details - but him and Goddard as key backs for the next 8 Years and I think we could be very good

We may need to reinvent him a Little bit - harden him up a tad -.but he can get the ball and has some skills and size

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote:People will go Mad but I would look at Watts - the right age', under performing no.1 draft pick , out of favour , local - not sure of his contract details - but him and Goddard as key backs for the next 8 Years and I think we could be very good

We may need to reinvent him a Little bit - harden him up a tad -.but he can get the ball and has some skills and size
not aggressive enough to play key back

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote:People will go Mad but I would look at Watts - the right age', under performing no.1 draft pick , out of favour , local - not sure of his contract details - but him and Goddard as key backs for the next 8 Years and I think we could be very good

Could use him to rub the players down at half time and cut up the oranges.

Razor
Club Player

If Sloane selects us as his preferred team i think we will be able to trade for him and keep our first round pick (most likely top 5). Cant see us trading a top 5 pick for a 26 year old who has never been All Australian. Sloane would be a massive get for us and fit in perfectly

Die Hard 7
Club Player

Could you imagine if Rory convinced Patty to come with him as well and we didn't have to give up our first pick (thinking 2nd and 3rd/4th + steaknives may do the trick)and then go and grab Darcy parish with our first pick. Think I am dreaming, but that would add some serious mid depth and talent)

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:

Well Tony was referring to Shiel's agent when he discussed a GWS player after our round one clash, we are definitely into him.

It's in our favour, but something like Shiel and a mid first rounder for pick 3 and 20 isn't impossible to imagine with the threat of the PSD (and the additional threat of giving it to the Crows for Sloane instead). If that occurred, we could then on trade the mid first rounder for Sloane, Adelaide wouldn't be happy but call it the Cripps rule where we wouldn't have anything better to give.

Look, it's unlikely, but not impossible to imagine a scenario like that.

There aren't many instances where out of contract players who are excellent footballers are traded. In fact, all I can think of is Judd. Beams and Ryder were both contracted so they went for market value or as close to.

If you look at this new era of free agency, guys like BJ and Buddy got picks outside of the top ten, as will Danger when he leaves. Whilst Sloane is not a free agent, I can see similar value being handed out to anyone who is out of contract - maybe marginally better.

The alternative could be switch around Shiel and Sloane.

We give Adelaide pick three and 20 for Sloane and a Danger compo pick, Adelaide then give their original first to Brissie for Aish. Shiel announces he wants to come to us no matter what, we only have the Danger compo pick at our disposal, Shiel comes to us for that pick.

Crows lose Sloane, Danger
Crows gain pick 3, Aish, pick 20

Saints lose pick 3, pick 20.
Saints gain Shiel, Sloane

GWS lose Shiel
GWS gain pick around 11

Geelong gain Danger for zilch.

As unlikely as that is to play out, it's not entirely unrealistic or impossible. This is a whole new era of list management with FA still in its infancy, with players getting more and more say in where their future lies, who knows what we could achieve if both of these guys nominate us and only us...

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I think a more likely scenario would be our first 2nd pick for Sloan and their first and 2nd pick. Maybe 4 and 22 for 14 and 30.