Review - Saints vs Crows

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Doctor Two
Club Player

Re: Review - Saints vs Crows

maybe belongs in the Opp forum BUT

Positives We are not Carlscum

their own supporters jeered them off at half time

bergsone
SS Life Member

Approx 500 games experience missing,Montagna,Geary then Roo going down doesn't help.Young players cant make that up overnight,yet that's whats missing from last weeks game

BTW,Shenton was good today,some of the knockers on here really need to watch the game,not sit back and abuse their least favoured players

Plenty to like how this side is developing

#gosaintas
Club Player

shenton was a disgrace

bergsone
SS Life Member

#gosaintas wrote:shenton was a disgrace

Really,there is nothing like encouragement from supporters is there

#gosaintas
Club Player

bergsone wrote:

Happy to cheer him on at sandringham

Munga
Saintsational Legend

That's your opinion. My opinion is you're wrong.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
bergsone
SS Life Member

#gosaintas wrote:
bergsone wrote:

Happy to cheer him on at sandringham
Should be happy to cheer him on whichever side he is playing,like all saint listed players

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

No he wasn't. He was infact quite good. You are a turnip.

I reckon Richo made them try run the ball out as much as possible in the second half,

They were encouaged to take on opponents and take risks
Good selfless coaching, you will see the benefits from this down the track, with players being creative and going for it.

Really liked how we played today undermanned, reckon scoreline flattered the Crows somewhat.

DMac my highlight (along with Bruce) - really has a crack, and already is prepared to cop a hit by drawing a player before giving off the ball... will be very good

Nee!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Positives:
Bruce just keeps improving.
Armitage best season still could improve his kicking.
Hickey/Longer improving each week.
McKenzie/Sinclair will be players.
Roo not seriously injured.
Savage when he went forward.
Could have done with Membrey today.

Negatives:
Defensive coaching matchups.
Inablility to hit a target.
Entries into forward line disgraceful.
Accuracy in front of goal.
No mongrel/spirit to make it tough for Betts etc.
Inability to stop opposition run out of defence.
Richo has a long way to go to be a successful coach!

An amazing last negative. Shows the lack of knowledge from you. I love people who change their mind weekly. You need to get in the media. They are best at that.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I definitely see a turning point and a bright future ahead with what we've displayed lately. Considering the late changes today and the early injuries I reckon the team should be proud. The bold attacking game style and the manic pressure sets us up as the youth get more games experience under their belt.

Very impressed with our effort for 3 weeks in a row. There seems to be buy in with the game plan and everyone's on the same page. There's a lot of trust and good morale within the team and within the whole club for that matter.

Kudos to the whole club including CEO and especially the head coach and all his caoching staff.

sainters4eva
Club Player

Was at the game and that piece of play by Tom Hickey in the last quarter was just in front of me and was awe inspiring. He just willed himself forward and shrugged off about 4 players, it was just a pity he couldn't have capped it off with a goal.

Agree with others the early injuries affected our structure but we hung in there. Kicking for goal let us down otherwise we could have won this game. The guys were tired but never stopped working. Bruce never gave up, Armo was his usual bullocking self, thought Templeton was ordinary but had plenty to say to others and loved Sinclairs and McKenzies work, they both look natural footballers.

Adelaide just a middle range team and thought umpires were generally on our side but still made some very baffling decisions.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Considering the injuries both pre and during game, I'm surprised that we got back under 5 goals in the last quarter before the Crows experienced players steadied them, so some things are going well. I think Richo's biggest challenge is to get the overall team defensive game up to scratch, as it's bloody hopeless. The Dempster match up on Betts was odd, and I would have sacrificed Steven and used him on Betts, or even run a young guy like Eli with him for experience. Probably needed a bit more out of Schneider and Fisher yesterday.

saint6709
Club Player

sainters4eva wrote:Was at the game and that piece of play by Tom Hickey in the last quarter was just in front of me and was awe inspiring. He just willed himself forward and shrugged off about 4 players, it was just a pity he couldn't have capped it off with a goal.

Agree with others the early injuries affected our structure but we hung in there. Kicking for goal let us down otherwise we could have won this game. The guys were tired but never stopped working. Bruce never gave up, Armo was his usual bullocking self, thought Templeton was ordinary but had plenty to say to others and loved Sinclairs and McKenzies work, they both look natural footballers.

Adelaide just a middle range team and thought umpires were generally on our side but still made some very baffling decisions.
I agree with pretty well your entire post here - not sure why there would be negativity put on this game - given the circumstances I think the young team did themselves proud - Hickey running through 4 people looked to defy the laws of physics - Bruce a revelation

betts got off the leash and that hurt us as did easy goals to Lynch - but if I was to have a complaint it's our kicking for goal - we have lost games hand over fist the last few years because of this and when we where 3.9 or something like that having missed a number of very easy shots we should have been 7.5 or something and the pressure would have remained right on them

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Considering the injuries both pre and during game, I'm surprised that we got back under 5 goals in the last quarter before the Crows experienced players steadied them, so some things are going well. I think Richo's biggest challenge is to get the overall team defensive game up to scratch, as it's bloody hopeless. The Dempster match up on Betts was odd, and I would have sacrificed Steven and used him on Betts, or even run a young guy like Eli with him for experience. Probably needed a bit more out of Schneider and Fisher yesterday.

Well to be honest sacrificing Steven to play on Betts would quite possibly been the stupidest thing a coach could ever do and would mean AR cant coach. Its always hindsight about AR coaching tactics. Once Geary pulled out we had little option but to use Dempster and he has fairly good record on small players over the years. Out problem wasn't up back, it was again in the midfield.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

someone fill me in on lonie
fox didnt record the first twenty mins even tho i set it to start recording 5 mins earlier

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:someone fill me in on lonie
fox didnt record the first twenty mins even tho i set it to start recording 5 mins earlier
Laid a tackle on a rampaging crows players who came right at him but Lonie didn't flinch. You could hear the smack on the t.v and he came of with concussion but he was sitting up ok on the bench looking disappointed he wasn't out there. Tough lad.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Cheers bluthy.
Just wanted to know what happened in the contest.
Stupid friggin foxtel.
Kids a star of the future IMO
We can all see it.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Really proud of the boys, that was a tremendous effort.

We had them in a spot of bother before losing Roo & Lonie and I believe may have won what would have been a tight affair. We went in with no changes and by the half way mark of the first quarter we had lost Geary, Montagna, Lonie & Riewoldt. We were 2 down on the bench early in the game and with the loss of Roo our structure was seriously compromised. Yet we fought it out admirably. In fact if we'd won from that position it would have been a more extraordinary win than last week.

Thankfully, particularly for the Riewoldt family, Roo's injury didn't turn out to be serious.

Hickey is going to be an utter gun and is proving that we more than adequately compensated for the loss of BJ. I didn't think he would be a significant forward weapon (although I rated his ruck work) and I'm glad to be surprised by how dangerous he will also be resting forward. Longer will be a fine brute of a ruckman too and we have Holmes emerging at Sandy.

Then there's Armo's arrival as an elite midfielder, the Jacks, Dunstan, Webster, Newnes, Lonie, Sinclair, McKenzie and many more. Of course let's not forget Cam Bruce, who is emerging as a gun key forward. Even better they are all uncompromisingly tough, physically and between the ears.

I'll call it now, even after a loss, this is a list with definite Premiership potential.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:Really proud of the boys, that was a tremendous effort.

We had them in a spot of bother before losing Roo & Lonie and I believe may have won what would have been a tight affair. We went in with no changes and by the half way mark of the first quarter we had lost Geary, Montagna, Lonie & Riewoldt. We were 2 down on the bench early in the game and with the loss of Roo our structure was seriously compromised. Yet we fought it out admirably. In fact if we'd won from that position it would have been a more extraordinary win than last week.

Thankfully, particularly for the Riewoldt family, Roo's injury didn't turn out to be serious.

Hickey is going to be an utter gun and is proving that we more than adequately compensated for the loss of BJ. I didn't think he would be a significant forward weapon (although I rated his ruck work) and I'm glad to be surprised by how dangerous he will also be resting forward. Longer will be a fine brute of a ruckman too and we have Holmes emerging at Sandy.

Then there's Armo's arrival as an elite midfielder, the Jacks, Dunstan, Webster, Newnes, Lonie, Sinclair, McKenzie and many more. Of course let's not forget Cam Bruce, who is emerging as a gun key forward. Even better they are all uncompromisingly tough, physically and between the ears.

I'll call it now, even after a loss, this is a list with definite Premiership potential.

Some maybe premiership material but we are about 8 to 10 players short to become close to a premiership side. And that's fine. We have plenty of time on our side.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

I am actually counting down the minutes to next week. Cant wait to get there, I reckon we may just beat those weagles. after all aren't those wa teams our bitches. roll on saturday

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

At what point is a 46 point loss to a middle of the road team with half its midfield and CHF out something to be proud of? I hate losing and so should this team and coaching staff otherwise they will never get to enjoy the ultimate prize!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:

Some maybe premiership material but we are about 8 to 10 players short to become close to a premiership side. And that's fine. We have plenty of time on our side.
I think you're a glass half empty sort of guy. Think about another couple of pre seasons and the core of our list reaching 50-70 games and tell me where the deficiencies/holes are? Key positions? No. Rucks? No. Half backs? Certainly not. Midfield in good shape. Sure we can always add midfield depth and depth in general, but 8 to 10 short???

Austinnn
Club Player

Isn't that his point? The core of the list, but not everyone. I think you're both right.

I think hypothetically if the younger players on our list all had 100 games of experience and the vets were in the form of about 5 years ago, then I'd agree that it could be a premiership contender.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I think you're a glass half empty sort of guy. Think about another couple of pre seasons and the core of our list reaching 50-70 games and tell me where the deficiencies/holes are? Key positions? No. Rucks? No. Half backs? Certainly not. Midfield in good shape. Sure we can always add midfield depth and depth in general, but 8 to 10 short???

Well I can name 5 players who will never play in a premiership side for a start, Schneider, Fisher, Rooy, Joey and Dempster. Then their is middle aged players I doubt will be good enough to play in a premiership side like Delany and Geary. That's 7. There are also young guys playing now who wont be good enough and there maybe some in the seconds who could be good enough. It is certainly not hard to see we need 8-10 other players to build a premiership side. As I said we have time so we don't need to worry.