Moorabbin - Trouble Ahead

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Moorabbin - Trouble Ahead

They should make st kilda themed pokie machines where 5 pluggers starts a feature or 5 1966 premiership cups wins the jackpot....

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Yes. :D
... 'n in the Feature , 'pigs' are wild and count as Cups or Pluggers

has to be a $ machine though.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

WindSister wrote:Yes. :D
... 'n in the Feature , 'pigs' are wild and count as Cups or Pluggers

has to be a $ machine though.
2 Pluggers and a Fode....bugger!

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

What does a Robbie Muir get you?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote:What does a Robbie Muir get you?
Don't know, but you end up falling off your stool and getting up with a sore head.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I used to think we could really use the pokie money...

You know what? Screw that. We're a football club. A sporting club. A club. For the benefit of the community, not to extract money from it.

Bottom line is this: clubs shouldn't really exist to turn profits. They should exist to service their members. That's what good community clubs do.

Do that, and our membership will rise. Sponsors will be more interested in jumping on board when we have a bigger membership base.

And guess what - that's the extra revenue we need.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

stjay
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:I used to think we could really use the pokie money...

You know what? Screw that. We're a football club. A sporting club. A club. For the benefit of the community, not to extract money from it.

Bottom line is this: clubs shouldn't really exist to turn profits. They should exist to service their members. That's what good community clubs do.

Do that, and our membership will rise. Sponsors will be more interested in jumping on board when we have a bigger membership base.

The club is not a position at this point in time to take that type of risk.

minneapolis
Club Player

prwilkinson wrote:They should make st kilda themed pokie machines where 5 pluggers starts a feature or 5 1966 premiership cups wins the jackpot....
If you get 3 Robert Harvey's only silk comes out.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
Pleasing
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:I used to think we could really use the pokie money...

100% Agree, maybe we can't afford it today but this should be the plan and the vision moving forward. Focus on the things that will increase membership, sponsorship and winning premierships.

Let me in
Austinnn
Club Player

If we do have a pokies room, I'd expect to see a coin distribution machine with a cartoon Matt Finnis on the side and a big sign saying CHAMPION OF CHANGE.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-05-2 ... ion-change

honk!

(Good on the bloke by the way, think his initiatives in the area of equality and otherwise are driving the Saints in a great direction and I only hope it continues. We all benefit in the long term, and much more to be proud of than exploitation of chronic gamblers.)

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

what a shame we aren't doing all of this down at the JO...terrible waste of time and money....eventually it will be at the JO...if the club survives.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:If we do have a pokies room, I'd expect to see a coin distribution machine with a cartoon Matt Finnis on the side and a big sign saying CHAMPION OF CHANGE.

honk!

(Good on the bloke by the way, think his initiatives in the area of equality and otherwise are driving the Saints in a great direction and I only hope it continues. We all benefit in the long term, and much more to be proud of than exploitation of chronic gamblers.)

Or drinkers or don't they matter because its socially acceptable to drink but not play the pokies? I still haven't see a person get picked up for driving after playing to many pokies but I know plenty who have endangered others whilst driving after drinking to much.

stjay
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Austinnn wrote:If we do have a pokies room, I'd expect to see a coin distribution machine with a cartoon Matt Finnis on the side and a big sign saying CHAMPION OF CHANGE.

honk!

Or drinkers or don't they matter because its socially acceptable to drink but not play the pokies? I still haven't see a person get picked up for driving after playing to many pokies but I know plenty who have endangered others whilst driving after drinking to much.

Truth is they are the same. The only distinction you can make is how they are used i.e people drink together but play pokies solely (the only thing more boring than playing them is watching someone play them). But again that just backs in your argument on social acceptability.

Austinnn
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

honk!

I agree that drinking is far more dangerous than gambling. On both a personal level and for society as a whole, most of us can see the damage, certainly I can. I think that Australians are far more vigilant about the dangers of drinking than other countries, based on the various ad campaigns over the years. Now you've got signs in pubs warning you to walk home safely if you've been drinking, and a lot of rules and social norms (such as publicans refusing to sell to drunk customers) that indicate a willingness to confront these very ingrained issues.

Its amusing that in terms of sporting clubs, the drinking and eating culture has changed so radically with players, not so much with the supporters who are still trapped in the 70s. Then again, you don't really really need to be in tiptop shape to sit on your R's chanting "Give us another one, just like the other one". I guess its a question of motivation and someone leading the change. Maybe you could start the responsible drinking/no drinking supporter movement, Plugger!

It might not be the case everywhere in Aus, but I think the drinking culture is a lot better than it was a generation ago. Still a lot of work to do, but one step at a time. At least smoking has been tamed!

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

honk!

I agree that drinking is far more dangerous than gambling. On both a personal level and for society as a whole, most of us can see the damage, certainly I can. I think that Australians are far more vigilant about the dangers of drinking than other countries, based on the various ad campaigns over the years. Now you've got signs in pubs warning you to walk home safely if you've been drinking, and a lot of rules and social norms (such as publicans refusing to sell to drunk customers) that indicate a willingness to confront these very ingrained issues.

Its amusing that in terms of sporting clubs, the drinking and eating culture has changed so radically with players, not so much with the supporters who are still trapped in the 70s. Then again, you don't really really need to be in tiptop shape to sit on your R's chanting "Give us another one, just like the other one". I guess its a question of motivation and someone leading the change. Maybe you could start the responsible drinking/no drinking supporter movement, Plugger!

It might not be the case everywhere in Aus, but I think the drinking culture is a lot better than it was a generation ago. Still a lot of work to do, but one step at a time. At least smoking has been tamed!

I don't want to stop the drinking culture. Im one of those who love a drink. Local footy clubs still drink pretty much the same as years ago as long as their car isn't at the club.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

ease up on us smokers ffs
... we are a dying breed u know.

Austinnn
Club Player

WindSister wrote:ease up on us smokers ffs
Mate, I wouldn't dream of persecuting you all. I think you've been through enough in the last 30 or so years. Public enemy number one. Rightly so, but still; my sympathies! It would be good to see something like that happen to drinking, but maybe mainstream culture would crumble.

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
Megamaguire
Club Player

Pokies & Death Sticks Are Too Negatory

stjay wrote:
Megamaguire wrote:I applaud North for going 'pokie free' I agree J.M.
I am also opposed to the production of nicotine/ chemical death sticks that are ok- ed for the retail shelves.
Amazing that they are still sucked up by so many in Vic. We seem a bit in denial here but looking forward to them being outlawed at cafes and eateries soon.
It's Interesting/ saddening to me that a sacred ceremony that included the 'occasional' smoking of nicotine by Native Americans is repackaged by real smart europeans for their own tribal members to incubate an expansive list of cancers and other illnesses. Why a safer relaxant has not emerged to replace the devilish death sticks confounds me.

Anyway best of health all.

G O S A I N T S !

Classic strawman argument conflating cigrettes with pokies.
More of a self-revelation than an argument.
I can also add distasteful advertising and blaring corporate chatter at the stadiums if i'm fusing together gripes I have about the game.
I expect many wouldn't agree with me on the death sticks but then again plenty would. I could even add parking metres to my list of annoyances but that relates to the broader society.
This is all stemming from my own interest in health issues - just throwing in my 5 cents worth - can't resist it !

GO SAINTS ! :D

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Dude, so something about that avatar size would ya.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
I recently found out that you can get rid of such annoying distractions on your user control board.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
for you , JM ... done.
(everyone already knows how fabulous i am anyways)
:)

Austinnn
Club Player

saynta wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
I recently found out that you can get rid of such annoying distractions on your user control board.
Thank you! SO much better now.

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I hear they won't be setting up pokies at Moorabbin after all. Instead there will be Russian Roulette, as a lot of Saints fans sometimes like to have a little more at stake. Golly, if we were to lose another GF, it will look like a scene out of The Deer Hunter.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Kingston Council ‏@kingstoncc May 14
Community football leagues throw support behind Moorabbin Reserve project. http://bit.ly/1EBRckS

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Playon
Club Player

Well it seems we make over 2 million on the pokies, I don't see how we could go without them at this stage.

Anyway here is an anti pokie article about the bloke trying to stop them.

Pokies plea to saints
http://issuu.com/chelseamordiallocnews/ ... ay__2015/1

Continues on page 6