Moorabbin - Trouble Ahead

Re: Moorabbin - Trouble Ahead

They should make st kilda themed pokie machines where 5 pluggers starts a feature or 5 1966 premiership cups wins the jackpot....

Yes. :D
... 'n in the Feature , 'pigs' are wild and count as Cups or Pluggers

has to be a $ machine though.

WindSister wrote:Yes. :D
... 'n in the Feature , 'pigs' are wild and count as Cups or Pluggers

has to be a $ machine though.
2 Pluggers and a Fode....bugger!

What does a Robbie Muir get you?

prwilkinson wrote:What does a Robbie Muir get you?
Don't know, but you end up falling off your stool and getting up with a sore head.

I used to think we could really use the pokie money...

You know what? Screw that. We're a football club. A sporting club. A club. For the benefit of the community, not to extract money from it.

Bottom line is this: clubs shouldn't really exist to turn profits. They should exist to service their members. That's what good community clubs do.

Do that, and our membership will rise. Sponsors will be more interested in jumping on board when we have a bigger membership base.

And guess what - that's the extra revenue we need.

stjay

evertonfc wrote:I used to think we could really use the pokie money...

You know what? Screw that. We're a football club. A sporting club. A club. For the benefit of the community, not to extract money from it.

Bottom line is this: clubs shouldn't really exist to turn profits. They should exist to service their members. That's what good community clubs do.

Do that, and our membership will rise. Sponsors will be more interested in jumping on board when we have a bigger membership base.

The club is not a position at this point in time to take that type of risk.

minneapolis

prwilkinson wrote:They should make st kilda themed pokie machines where 5 pluggers starts a feature or 5 1966 premiership cups wins the jackpot....
If you get 3 Robert Harvey's only silk comes out.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
Pleasing

evertonfc wrote:I used to think we could really use the pokie money...

100% Agree, maybe we can't afford it today but this should be the plan and the vision moving forward. Focus on the things that will increase membership, sponsorship and winning premierships.

Let me in

If we do have a pokies room, I'd expect to see a coin distribution machine with a cartoon Matt Finnis on the side and a big sign saying CHAMPION OF CHANGE.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-05-2 ... ion-change

honk!

(Good on the bloke by the way, think his initiatives in the area of equality and otherwise are driving the Saints in a great direction and I only hope it continues. We all benefit in the long term, and much more to be proud of than exploitation of chronic gamblers.)

what a shame we aren't doing all of this down at the JO...terrible waste of time and money....eventually it will be at the JO...if the club survives.

Austinnn wrote:If we do have a pokies room, I'd expect to see a coin distribution machine with a cartoon Matt Finnis on the side and a big sign saying CHAMPION OF CHANGE.

honk!

(Good on the bloke by the way, think his initiatives in the area of equality and otherwise are driving the Saints in a great direction and I only hope it continues. We all benefit in the long term, and much more to be proud of than exploitation of chronic gamblers.)

Or drinkers or don't they matter because its socially acceptable to drink but not play the pokies? I still haven't see a person get picked up for driving after playing to many pokies but I know plenty who have endangered others whilst driving after drinking to much.

stjay

Austinnn wrote:If we do have a pokies room, I'd expect to see a coin distribution machine with a cartoon Matt Finnis on the side and a big sign saying CHAMPION OF CHANGE.

honk!

Or drinkers or don't they matter because its socially acceptable to drink but not play the pokies? I still haven't see a person get picked up for driving after playing to many pokies but I know plenty who have endangered others whilst driving after drinking to much.

Truth is they are the same. The only distinction you can make is how they are used i.e people drink together but play pokies solely (the only thing more boring than playing them is watching someone play them). But again that just backs in your argument on social acceptability.

honk!

I agree that drinking is far more dangerous than gambling. On both a personal level and for society as a whole, most of us can see the damage, certainly I can. I think that Australians are far more vigilant about the dangers of drinking than other countries, based on the various ad campaigns over the years. Now you've got signs in pubs warning you to walk home safely if you've been drinking, and a lot of rules and social norms (such as publicans refusing to sell to drunk customers) that indicate a willingness to confront these very ingrained issues.

Its amusing that in terms of sporting clubs, the drinking and eating culture has changed so radically with players, not so much with the supporters who are still trapped in the 70s. Then again, you don't really really need to be in tiptop shape to sit on your R's chanting "Give us another one, just like the other one". I guess its a question of motivation and someone leading the change. Maybe you could start the responsible drinking/no drinking supporter movement, Plugger!

It might not be the case everywhere in Aus, but I think the drinking culture is a lot better than it was a generation ago. Still a lot of work to do, but one step at a time. At least smoking has been tamed!

Austinnn wrote:

honk!

I agree that drinking is far more dangerous than gambling. On both a personal level and for society as a whole, most of us can see the damage, certainly I can. I think that Australians are far more vigilant about the dangers of drinking than other countries, based on the various ad campaigns over the years. Now you've got signs in pubs warning you to walk home safely if you've been drinking, and a lot of rules and social norms (such as publicans refusing to sell to drunk customers) that indicate a willingness to confront these very ingrained issues.

Its amusing that in terms of sporting clubs, the drinking and eating culture has changed so radically with players, not so much with the supporters who are still trapped in the 70s. Then again, you don't really really need to be in tiptop shape to sit on your R's chanting "Give us another one, just like the other one". I guess its a question of motivation and someone leading the change. Maybe you could start the responsible drinking/no drinking supporter movement, Plugger!

It might not be the case everywhere in Aus, but I think the drinking culture is a lot better than it was a generation ago. Still a lot of work to do, but one step at a time. At least smoking has been tamed!

I don't want to stop the drinking culture. Im one of those who love a drink. Local footy clubs still drink pretty much the same as years ago as long as their car isn't at the club.

ease up on us smokers ffs
... we are a dying breed u know.

WindSister wrote:ease up on us smokers ffs
Mate, I wouldn't dream of persecuting you all. I think you've been through enough in the last 30 or so years. Public enemy number one. Rightly so, but still; my sympathies! It would be good to see something like that happen to drinking, but maybe mainstream culture would crumble.

Megamaguire

Pokies & Death Sticks Are Too Negatory

stjay wrote:
Megamaguire wrote:I applaud North for going 'pokie free' I agree J.M.
I am also opposed to the production of nicotine/ chemical death sticks that are ok- ed for the retail shelves.
Amazing that they are still sucked up by so many in Vic. We seem a bit in denial here but looking forward to them being outlawed at cafes and eateries soon.
It's Interesting/ saddening to me that a sacred ceremony that included the 'occasional' smoking of nicotine by Native Americans is repackaged by real smart europeans for their own tribal members to incubate an expansive list of cancers and other illnesses. Why a safer relaxant has not emerged to replace the devilish death sticks confounds me.

Anyway best of health all.

G O S A I N T S !

Classic strawman argument conflating cigrettes with pokies.
More of a self-revelation than an argument.
I can also add distasteful advertising and blaring corporate chatter at the stadiums if i'm fusing together gripes I have about the game.
I expect many wouldn't agree with me on the death sticks but then again plenty would. I could even add parking metres to my list of annoyances but that relates to the broader society.
This is all stemming from my own interest in health issues - just throwing in my 5 cents worth - can't resist it !

GO SAINTS ! :D

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.

Dude, so something about that avatar size would ya.

Johnny Member wrote:
I recently found out that you can get rid of such annoying distractions on your user control board.

Johnny Member wrote:
for you , JM ... done.
(everyone already knows how fabulous i am anyways)
:)

Johnny Member wrote:
I recently found out that you can get rid of such annoying distractions on your user control board.
Thank you! SO much better now.

I hear they won't be setting up pokies at Moorabbin after all. Instead there will be Russian Roulette, as a lot of Saints fans sometimes like to have a little more at stake. Golly, if we were to lose another GF, it will look like a scene out of The Deer Hunter.

Kingston Council ‏@kingstoncc May 14
Community football leagues throw support behind Moorabbin Reserve project. http://bit.ly/1EBRckS

Playon

Well it seems we make over 2 million on the pokies, I don't see how we could go without them at this stage.

Anyway here is an anti pokie article about the bloke trying to stop them.

Pokies plea to saints
http://issuu.com/chelseamordiallocnews/ ... ay__2015/1

Continues on page 6