Selection last week , older players

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Selection last week , older players

Let's just consider there is a possibility we could make the finals, in that senario I'd be keen to see the selectors picking the best side each week. Pick the team on merit and develop the young guys in the VFL.

The fact that we have almost zero injuries is making it quite difficult to give everybody a game, and the fact that we're playing well makes it difficult to drop players who are performing well. The best way to develop a winning culture is to select players on merit.

If everything else is equal give the young guys the nod.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:Let's just consider there is a possibility we could make the finals, in that senario I'd be keen to see the selectors picking the best side each week. Pick the team on merit and develop the young guys in the VFL.

The fact that we have almost zero injuries is making it quite difficult to give everybody a game, and the fact that we're playing well makes it difficult to drop players who are performing well. The best way to develop a winning culture is to select players on merit.

If everything else is equal give the young guys the nod.

We would need to win 7 out of 9. Its not going to happen. I still think we pick our best side until we lose form as a club or players lose form. Our problem is the lack of mid aged players hence we have to play either young or old. We only have bout 4 in the middle. And I still haven't seen many people tell us what older players shouldn't be playing at the moment.
Last edited by plugger66 on Thu 09 Jul 2015 10:21am, edited 1 time in total.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

dragit wrote:
Bruce G McAbee wrote:you don't drop a player who is in good form just because of his age.
No it's seems that you have to de-list veterans to avoid the temptation of playing them...

Clint Jones & James Gwilt played most of last year before being delisted, while Bruce spent most of the year in the VFL.
What a crock of shyte!! It took me all of 3 minutes on-line to find the game stats for Bruce for 2014.
He played 6 games for Sandringham and 10 games for the Saints.......

Do some actual research and make an argument instead of spouting emotive drivel..........

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
dragit wrote:
Bruce G McAbee wrote:you don't drop a player who is in good form just because of his age.
No it's seems that you have to de-list veterans to avoid the temptation of playing them...

Clint Jones & James Gwilt played most of last year before being delisted, while Bruce spent most of the year in the VFL.
What a crock of shyte!! It took me all of 3 minutes on-line to find the game stats for Bruce for 2014.

Do some actual research and make an argument instead of spouting emotive drivel..........
So aggressive TB...

So the guy who is second in the Coleman this year was only given 10 games last year - mainly as a backman?

Yep sounds like the selection panel have everything working perfectly.

Lucky we got 33 games into CJ & Gwilty last year instead of young guys like Saunders & Curren...

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:
True Believer wrote:
dragit wrote:

So aggressive TB...

So the guy who is second in the Coleman this year was only given 10 games last year - mainly as a backman?

Lucky we got 33 games into CJ & Gwilty last year instead of young guys like Saunders & Curren...
Oh for gods sake dragit, TB showed you up live with it. Bruce came to the Saints as a backman and was tried there. e tried Lee and white up forward in games and then Bruce as well.

We had no gilbert or Fisher down back and Roberton was injured. We had multiple injuries last season.

Your hindsight is not only flawed but just plain wrong. Jesus this revisionism is ridiculous and laughable.

Saints had 8 player with under 50 games in a team that won by 110 points. and all you can do is whinge about last year.

No pleasing some sad sacks. Now tell us how Bruce played mostly in the VFL last year like it is a fact

You are garbage - Enough said
gringo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
True Believer wrote:
dragit wrote:

So aggressive TB...

Yeah Draggers, Bruce got games- he was just a fairly average, poor kicking back man and was behind big Delaney so got chopped when we didn't have a match up. He wasn't exactly starring last year. Eli got games before injury, we played Dustan every game we could, Billings was given as much time as we could get into him etc. Most kids got games because we had plenty of injuries so there were lots of spots available. Not all the games were on merit. I would rather instil belief in them and have them enjoying their footy. Brisbane players all want out because they don't see light at the end of the tunnel. The only guy that looks like he probably deserves a game on form over a long period is Lee. The rest are either injured or have very limited good form. CJ and Gwilt were some of the few seniors available with guys like Steven, Fisher, Gilbert, Armo all injured and Joey playing with a broken leg.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
dragit wrote:
True Believer wrote:
dragit wrote:

So aggressive TB...

Oh for gods sake dragit, TB showed you up live with it. Bruce came to the Saints as a backman and was tried there. e tried Lee and white up forward in games and then Bruce as well.

We had no gilbert or Fisher down back and Roberton was injured. We had multiple injuries last season.

Your hindsight is not only flawed but just plain wrong. Jesus this revisionism is ridiculous and laughable.

Saints had 8 player with under 50 games in a team that won by 110 points. and all you can do is whinge about last year.

No pleasing some sad sacks. Now tell us how Bruce played mostly in the VFL last year like it is a fact
Yep showed me up big time, I didn't go to the stats, simply remember Bruce not in the seniors for a lot of the year & Gwilt WAS played ahead of him yeah?

We have one good win against an absolute rabble and people start jerking off about winning the next 10 and playing finals.

I didn't start this thread, but have said all year that if all of our vets play it will be too many... One thumping of a VFL standard side hasn't changed my mind.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
You have a point there.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Why cant we all get along?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
dragit wrote:
You have a point there.
Except I'm wrong again - Curren played plenty last year :D

saynta
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
saynta wrote:
dragit wrote:
You have a point there.
Except I'm wrong again - Curren played plenty last year :D
Well, Saunders and Michington then.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
terry smith rules wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:
terry smith rules wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:Fisher, Ray and Schneider had zero impact on the game. Delaney, Mckenzie and Eli would have given similar if not better output IMO. Gilbert played well because there was no pressure in the backline so his disposal held up. Time to disband dad's army and face the fact that it's not 2009.
I've read some rubbish on here (some of it mine) but this sorry takes the cake

The thing you don't understand is leadership and mentoring.

Sam Fisher (all Australian) if you don't think that a guy like Jimmy Webster walks a little taller and plays a lot better having him in the team then I'm not sure you get footy.

Young players need to learn on the job and the 3 players you name as well as Gilbert can give that education. When to go, where to go etc Do you not get it?
Yeah I get it. Let's play our 9 oldest players every week and keep the kids at Sandy.
Do I have to drag up the Melbourne disaster from a few years ago, 2 young captains got rid of lots of experience and they are now only starting to come out of it, 4 years later

You cannot play just young guys, it does not work
The Melbourne thing is a myth. They lost young guys like Scully and Rivers which hurt them. Neeld was a disaster.
Maybe you'd like to look at Collingwood. Younger than us and in 5th. Only one guy (Swan) over 30.
Collingwood maybe younger but you can't compare them to us as they have plenty in category which we are missing, the 100 gamers. We have 7 players who have played between 50 and 150 , Collingwood 12. So it is comparing apples and oranges. Collingwood may be young but they have a nice mix of experience as well.
This is what is being overlooked by the 'play the youngsters' brigade - we are mxing youth and experience like any smart club, but our experience happens to be very age heavy due to a lack of the 50-150 group. our 0-50 group is a good size and will remain that size as older players retire and more of the younger fellas move into the 50-150 group over the next few years.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:[We have one good win against an absolute rabble and people start jerking off about winning the next 10 and playing finals.

I didn't start this thread, but have said all year that if all of our vets play it will be too many... One thumping of a VFL standard side hasn't changed my mind.
And you accuse of others being aggressive.

I find you post rude and insulting.

You must be a sad little man if you cant enjoy a great Saints win without resorting to insulting other Saints supporters.

Essendon were AFL standard against Hawthorn last week, but suddenly they aren't against the Saints.

Would it kill you to give the team you supposedly support some credit for playing well?

Really really poor from you, just because your silly argument has been shown up as so much BS.

Sad

P.S please point to anyone who said we would win the next ten games (considering there is only nine left, that would be a good trick) and playing finals?

Your response is irrational. Everyone knows where the club is at. A couple of weeks back Hawthorn gave us a 10 goal thumping. We are a bottom 6 team, but the stats show we are a 6 goal better team than last year.

Some may not like improvement in our team but the majority are very happy with the progression of this young team.

Too bad if the vocal minority dont like our improvement. its their problem not ours.

You are garbage - Enough said
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
dragit wrote:[We have one good win against an absolute rabble and people start jerking off about winning the next 10 and playing finals.

You must be a sad little man if you cant enjoy a great Saints win without resorting to insulting other Saints supporters.

Essendon were AFL standard against Hawthorn last week, but suddenly they aren't against the Saints.

Would it kill you to give the team you supposedly support some credit for playing well?

Really really poor from you, just because your silly argument has been shown up as so much BS.

Sad

P.S please point to anyone who said we would win the next ten games (considering there is only nine left, that would be a good trick) and playing finals?

Your response is irrational. Everyone knows where the club is at. A couple of weeks back Hawthorn gave us a 10 goal thumping. We are a bottom 6 team, but the stats show we are a 6 goal better team than last year.

Some may not like improvement in our team but the majority are very happy with the progression of this young team.

Too bad if the vocal minority dont like our improvement. its their problem not ours.
Oh no, bunk doesn't like my posts :(

Feel sorry that you have written up such a big response while you're completely off the mark.

I'm a very big happy man, appreciate you thinking about my stature and general well-being though.

Loved the win on the weekend.

Not actually that fussed by the team picked, but the win would be even better for me if a couple more young guys were able to experience it.

What I find sad is starting up this thread after a 110 point win - how brave.

I thought Essendon were equally as bad as we were good and while I still loved watching us thump them, I don't think it's a good indicator of where we are at all…

Someone does sound sad.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:

Sad

Oh no, bunk doesn't like my posts :(

Feel sorry that you have written up such a big response while you're completely off the mark.

I'm a very big happy man, appreciate you thinking about my stature and general well-being though.

Loved the win on the weekend.

Not actually that fussed by the team picked, but the win would be even better for me if a couple more young guys were able to experience it.

What I find sad is starting up this thread after a 110 point win - how brave.

I thought Essendon were equally as bad as we were good and while I still loved watching us thump them, I don't think it's a good indicator of where we are at all…

Someone does sound sad.
Enjoyed it for the mandatory two hours did you? :wink:

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Lol, I got an extra 15 minutes as it was over 100 points :D

saynta
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Lol, I got an extra 15 minutes as it was over 100 points :D
Good answer.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

… then 135 minutes after the siren I read this thread and went back to wanting to KILL.

… so I very craftily invented some stats on Josh Bruce playing more games in the VFL than he actually did

… but then I was caught out

… joff got mad at someone being saad.

good times.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Selection last week , older players

I'm hoping a few senior blokes retire at years end. We need to take a few more steps backwards to go forwards...would've liked to get on the front foot and apply that rule more this year.

Did I enjoy the win? Don't even bother asking such stupid questions....

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:

Schneids is a monty to get rookied again next year.
Doubt it. He will either retire, or be elevated to the senior list.

He has already shown that he has got his body right, and can still play good football. So no point in beinga rookie again.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:
terry smith rules wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
terry smith rules wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:
terry smith rules wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:Fisher, Ray and Schneider had zero impact on the game. Delaney, Mckenzie and Eli would have given similar if not better output IMO. Gilbert played well because there was no pressure in the backline so his disposal held up. Time to disband dad's army and face the fact that it's not 2009.
I've read some rubbish on here (some of it mine) but this sorry takes the cake

The thing you don't understand is leadership and mentoring.

Sam Fisher (all Australian) if you don't think that a guy like Jimmy Webster walks a little taller and plays a lot better having him in the team then I'm not sure you get footy.

Young players need to learn on the job and the 3 players you name as well as Gilbert can give that education. When to go, where to go etc Do you not get it?
Yeah I get it. Let's play our 9 oldest players every week and keep the kids at Sandy.
Do I have to drag up the Melbourne disaster from a few years ago, 2 young captains got rid of lots of experience and they are now only starting to come out of it, 4 years later

You cannot play just young guys, it does not work
The Melbourne thing is a myth. They lost young guys like Scully and Rivers which hurt them. Neeld was a disaster.
Maybe you'd like to look at Collingwood. Younger than us and in 5th. Only one guy (Swan) over 30.
Collingwood maybe younger but you can't compare them to us as they have plenty in category which we are missing, the 100 gamers. We have 7 players who have played between 50 and 150 , Collingwood 12. So it is comparing apples and oranges. Collingwood may be young but they have a nice mix of experience as well.
This is what is being overlooked by the 'play the youngsters' brigade - we are mxing youth and experience like any smart club, but our experience happens to be very age heavy due to a lack of the 50-150 group. our 0-50 group is a good size and will remain that size as older players retire and more of the younger fellas move into the 50-150 group over the next few years.

Which was what I was at pains to say yesterday. I agree with you. The Pies had more scope to play kids because they had better middle-agers than us. Cloke, Pendles, Blair, Beams*, Reid, McCaffer, Toovey, Brown, Goldsack kept them from being thrashed in 2013-14 while they played kids and stock-piled draft picks (They still have two top tenners yet to play a game).
But the 'play the kids' movement is the extreme opposite of the 'dont get rid of any older players or we will end up like Melbourne' movement. Both extremes.

What we need is a clear, balanced, and orderly transition with staggered retirements. We are doing it very well this year but obviously we will have to say goodbye to a couple of champs at years end. Probably Fisher and Ray if I had to choose two.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
saynta wrote:

Schneids is a monty to get rookied again next year.
Doubt it. He will either retire, or be elevated to the senior list.

He has already shown that he has got his body right, and can still play good football. So no point in beinga rookie again.
I probably should have stated that if he doesn't make the main list , he will at least get a rookie spot. :oops:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Apart from the Pies, the Eagles also only have one guy over 30 on their list (Matt Priddis, 30y 4 months).

They seem to be going ok. 2nd on the ladder.

Psychosaint66
Club Player

gringo wrote:
dragit wrote:
True Believer wrote:
dragit wrote:

So aggressive TB...

Yeah Draggers, Bruce got games- he was just a fairly average, poor kicking back man and was behind big Delaney so got chopped when we didn't have a match up. He wasn't exactly starring last year. Eli got games before injury, we played Dustan every game we could, Billings was given as much time as we could get into him etc. Most kids got games because we had plenty of injuries so there were lots of spots available. Not all the games were on merit. I would rather instil belief in them and have them enjoying their footy. Brisbane players all want out because they don't see light at the end of the tunnel. The only guy that looks like he probably deserves a game on form over a long period is Lee. The rest are either injured or have very limited good form. CJ and Gwilt were some of the few seniors available with guys like Steven, Fisher, Gilbert, Armo all injured and Joey playing with a broken leg.
Draggers. :lol:

Hehehe. That's so funny. I like it. :lol:

But maybe poster Draggers should be re-branded as poster Daggers? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like poster Dragit/Draggers/Daggers. He's crazy. :lol:

And to answer your question crazy poster, lets play a little game. Games are fun. :D

Why didn't Bruce play more games last year?

The answer in two words: Jack Billings.

Well not Jack himself, but.................................shin splints.

And don't be like me and forget to take your meds poster Dragit, because when you do, your bipolar kicks in and you become your alter ego, poster Daggers. :lol: :lol: :lol:

But crazy posters are good. I like your posting either way. :D

Image Cute but psycho. Things even out.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I just wish you were actually funny Psychosaint66.

Premise of the gag is okay, but the execution is just putrid - 1 star. (no offence whoever you really are)

Shin splints, at least there was that useful bit - cheers. But he did play 16 games of football last year, so had a reasonable run.