Hugh Goddard collapsed at training

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

HarryM
Club Player

Re: Hugh Goddard collapsed at training

Bluthy wrote:

Harry, we just don't know what we are dealing with, with WS's strange hieroglyphics - we haven't cracked the code yet but there are some possibilities:

* They could be frightening acid flashbacks from a burnout sixties hippy
* They could be Da Vinci type clues that lead to an international search for a holy artifact leading to an apocalyptic end of the world scenario - need to get Ian Rush working on that conspiracy one.
* They could be Nostradamus type prophecies of future events - keep an eye out for a puffer fish invasion over the next few months.
* It could be experimental dadaist, surrealist, anarchic poetry from a provocative artist working in the form of social media
* My theory is that WS was once a brilliant upcoming footy coach in the St Kilda area who got whacked on the head by a falling goal post and permanently scrambled their brains. WS now resides in a sanatorium wearing a strait jacket spending their days writing strange words on the wall with a big toe dipped in their own feces. To keep WS calm and manageable, the staff post the wall writings on SS, telling WS they are revered throughout the footy world as brilliant insights into the modern game.
Brilliant diagnosis Bluthy - after giving it some serious thought I think I agree with your theory, although it could've been dumped here as some weird scientific experiment and the Mothership forgot to come back, but who really knows?

You're correct - steady as she goes and try to keep calm above all other things. :D

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
saynta wrote:
Bluthy wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:Was it heat stroke or heart exhaustion. They are 2 different things.
We don't know and that's the point. None of us here know the seriousness, or not so seriousness of it. But that doesn't stop the self-appointed rulers of this board to go around screaming about what can be talked about and what can't be talked about.

It's interesting how we assume all big guys now are these aerobic freaks like Rooey, Franklin and Cloke. Thats why these guys go so high in the draft - they are the exception. Having extra weight and a huge frame to have to cart around should make your endurance lower. Maybe it explains a little why Goddard slipped in the draft. But he's only played one season and they are already probably pushing him hard to get his fitness base up. How many seasons did it take to get Rooey up where he could run all year?

I think thats why the backline will suit Hugh. Carrying that weight around will be handy physicality in contests, but might stop him being an endurance beast. But then again he has only had 1 year in the AFL system so need to see how he develops over the next couple of years.

No one is/was trying to limit what is or was being discussed on this board.

i thought your post was pompous and denigrating to the St Kilda football personal in charge of training.

Whilst I enjoy the majority of your posts, sometimes you come across as a know all.

Like you did when you claimed Carlyle was an addict.
Stop talking rubbish just to be provocative. It's a discussion board. My analysis is always well thought, provide some good backup arguments and known information - doesn't mean it's right but I have a go. YOu think the club won't review what happened with Hugh? Of course they will as they should. They may even rejig his training routines. The guy sounds like he's taking some time off training so there was obviously a degree of seriousness around it needing that precaution. They didn't say he went to hospital as a precaution, they said they were really worried about him.

I'm not getting into the Carlsisle addiction thing cos thats like wrestling with pigs - you end up exhausted and dirty and the pig loves it. IF all you want to do is "It's all good bro", "get round him", "the club knows best" then knock yourself out. I find that stuff pretty inane. We're on a St Kilda supporters board. We all "get round" all of them inherently. Stating it is just vacuous chest puffing.

One feels the nuances of my arguments are somewhat lost amongst the screeching voices in this echo chamber. Alas the prophet is a stranger in his own land. :cry:
Like pitching pearls to swine, eh?

Another arrogant post. Just goes to prove my point.

I criticize the club when it is well deserved. Like when it recruited Carlyle. I don't believe Goddard's collapse was foreseeable, but I take your point re the club reviewing procedures in light of what happened.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
WindSister wrote:lol
this blokes like the Rereemer channeling Scarface

Fair dink.

a Puffer fish run amok
stranger Danger in its own land
wild theorem out of hand
a madman , though luckily , no~one gives a ....

Poll
: is Plugger a Troll

No .
So : Tend your own garden hypocrite.
Whatever Windsister said I agree with -I think
I am seeing a troll, but it ain't plugger . Just who is bluthy, and what other user names has he posted in as before.

I think gaz may be onto something.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:
Bluthy wrote:
HarryM wrote:
WindSister wrote:lol ... Stranger Danger time !
this blokes like the Rereemer channeling Scarface

Fair dink.

a Puffer fish run amok
wild theorem out of hand
a madman , though luckily , no~one gives a ....

Poll
: is Plugger a Troll

No .
So : Tend your own garden hypocrite.
Perlease explain in Arabic what is it your trying to say? :D
Harry, we just don't know what we are dealing with, with WS's strange hieroglyphics - we haven't cracked the code yet but there are some possibilities:

* They could be frightening acid flashbacks from a burnout sixties hippy
* They could be Da Vinci type clues that lead to an international search for a holy artifact leading to an apocalyptic end of the world scenario - need to get Ian Rush working on that conspiracy one.
* They could be Nostradamus type prophecies of future events - keep an eye out for a puffer fish invasion over the next few months.
* It could be experimental dadaist, surrealist, anarchic poetry from a provocative artist working in the form of social media
* My theory is that WS was once a brilliant upcoming footy coach in the St Kilda area who got whacked on the head by a falling goal post and permanently scrambled their brains. WS now resides in a sanatorium wearing a strait jacket spending their days writing strange words on the wall with a big toe dipped in their own feces. To keep WS calm and manageable, the staff post the wall writings on SS, telling WS they are revered throughout the footy world as brilliant insights into the modern game.
Okay, I'll translate.

He's saying you're a pretentious, self righteous twat reporting to us mere mortals from your self constructed ivory tower.

Or at least thats how I read it.
Wow, a first for me.

First time I have ever agreed with you 100%

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda key defender Hugh Goddard returned to training on Wednesday morning after being forced to leave last week’s Sunshine Coast camp due to heat exhaustion.

Renowned for his work ethic and application to his craft, Goddard was hospitalised on the opening day of the week-long pre-season camp after pushing himself to the limit under the brutal Queensland glow.

With the ink still drying on his new two-year contract extension, Jarryn Geary told the media on Wednesday morning that Goddard would gradually increase his workload this week as he transitions back into training.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-12-0 ... -the-track
Shame he's lost some preseason time. Hopefully not too much damage done. Lessons for all to learn here i guess.

ripplug66
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:
St Kilda key defender Hugh Goddard returned to training on Wednesday morning after being forced to leave last week’s Sunshine Coast camp due to heat exhaustion.

Renowned for his work ethic and application to his craft, Goddard was hospitalised on the opening day of the week-long pre-season camp after pushing himself to the limit under the brutal Queensland glow.

With the ink still drying on his new two-year contract extension, Jarryn Geary told the media on Wednesday morning that Goddard would gradually increase his workload this week as he transitions back into training.

Shame he's lost some preseason time. Hopefully not too much damage done. Lessons for all to learn here i guess.

You can only learn a lesson if someone did something wrong. Unless you know that we may not learn any lesson. Its funny that people can have heart attacks whilst in a hospital. I'm sure they are being monitored. Some things just happen. I prefer to think it was just bad luck and the club knew what they were doing. Without any other information I think its the best way to think.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:
Bluthy wrote:

You can only learn a lesson if someone did something wrong. Unless you know that we may not learn any lesson. Its funny that people can have heart attacks whilst in a hospital. I'm sure they are being monitored. Some things just happen. I prefer to think it was just bad luck and the club knew what they were doing. Without any other information I think its the best way to think.
Yes I'm sure the club will take the approach of it all being down to luck. They may invest in some rabbit feet, nail some horseshoes around the locker room and import some four leaf clovers from Ireland. Now that is high performance!

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Bluthy wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:
Bluthy wrote:

Yes I'm sure the club will take the approach of it all being down to luck. They may invest in some rabbit feet, nail some horseshoes around the locker room and import some four leaf clovers from Ireland. Now that is high performance!

Do you have any experience in this field bluthy or are you just talking out of ignorance like you did about drug addiction and rehab?

You are garbage - Enough said
ripplug66
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:
Bluthy wrote:

Well if they did everything right they may very well take that approach. The other option is they had no idea what they were doing and its pure luck one player got heat stroke. I'm still worried about people who have heart attacks at a hospital and they would be monitored more than any player at any footy club. Unless you have proof why always look for the worst?

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Bluthy wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:
Bluthy wrote:

Do you have any experience in this field bluthy or are you just talking out of ignorance like you did about drug addiction and rehab?
Is this the same situation Bunk where you didn't have proper proof but went on a defensive rant about Carlisle being stuck in traffic but it turned out he was actually suspended because he slept in? The point is you don't close of all possibilities when you don't have all the facts. None of us do here and none of us are experts on anything - but its ok to discuss all possibilities. So to stick your fingers in our ears and not want to consider all possibilities is pretty juvenile. I think it ties into some people here wanting to come across as "Mr Super loyal supporter club man" and paint anyone who questions the club on certain matters as evil. It's pretty childish and actually laughable.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote: Well if they did everything right they may very well take that approach. The other option is they had no idea what they were doing and its pure luck one player got heat stroke. I'm still worried about people who have heart attacks at a hospital and they would be monitored more than any player at any footy club. Unless you have proof why always look for the worst?
So you admit you don't know what happened and yet you are leaping at a conclusions eg. the club did everything right. That sums up the problem to me. I'm happy to say I don't know what happened but I'm pretty sure the club would be reviewing a situation where a player collapsed and was out of action for a couple of weeks. I don't look for the worst, but I consider all possibilities.

ripplug66
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:
ripplug66 wrote: Well if they did everything right they may very well take that approach. The other option is they had no idea what they were doing and its pure luck one player got heat stroke. I'm still worried about people who have heart attacks at a hospital and they would be monitored more than any player at any footy club. Unless you have proof why always look for the worst?
So you admit you don't know what happened and yet you are leaping at a conclusions eg. the club did everything right. That sums up the problem to me. I'm happy to say I don't know what happened but I'm pretty sure the club would be reviewing a situation where a player collapsed and was out of action for a couple of weeks. I don't look for the worst, but I consider all possibilities.

Yes I am leaping to the conclusion they did everything right because of the amount of money and time they spend on these things. Its better than suggesting they have no idea what they are doing and are just wasting their time and money. And history suggests when there is an incident with the club you look at the worst. Well on this forum you do. Outside here you may look at everything but we have no history of that on this forum.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:Is this the same situation Bunk where you didn't have proper proof but went on a defensive rant about Carlisle being stuck in traffic but it turned out he was actually suspended because he slept in? .
How many weeks was he suspended for Bluthy? I personally think sleeping in should be a minimum 4 week ban. Maybe even 6-8 if you have an addiction history.

8856brother wrote:
Bluthy wrote:Is this the same situation Bunk where you didn't have proper proof but went on a defensive rant about Carlisle being stuck in traffic but it turned out he was actually suspended because he slept in? .
How many weeks was he suspended for Bluthy? I personally think sleeping in should be a minimum 4 week ban. Maybe even 6-8 if you have an addiction history.
Should have gotten life, and Carlisle was caught in traffic, however the slept in was a different occasion.

But hey don't let facts get in your way bluthy, you never have in the past, why break the habits of a lifetime?

You are garbage - Enough said
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

So how is Hugh going?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:So how is Hugh going?
was out at Cerberus today

and working together with Paddy

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:
Bluthy wrote:

I don't think it's too long a bow to draw that if you're training in the heat and one of the players has to go to hospital that there's lessons to be learned.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
ripplug66
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:
Bluthy wrote:

I don't think it's too long a bow to draw that if you're training in the heat and one of the players has to go to hospital that there's lessons to be learned.
Really? I would suggest it could happen anywhere where there is heat. What lessons do they learn with heart attacks in hospital. I don't know but they still happen. Some things will happen no matter how hard you monitor it. I base that on common sense.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:
Bluthy wrote:

Really? I would suggest it could happen anywhere where there is heat. What lessons do they learn with heart attacks in hospital. I don't know but they still happen. Some things will happen no matter how hard you monitor it. I base that on common sense.
Yeah Kosi. If you can't stand the heat in the the kitchen then you'll have a heart attack. Things happen. We know that. Thats a fact. Its common sense. "heat" is in "heart" so the lesson is that hospitals should have good air conditioning. Or monitor how many heart attacks occur in common rooms. Its logic. Bad luck is just an unlucky thing that happens to players who don't have much luck. Heart attacks are a funny thing. There is nothing to be learned ever by the club. The club is infallible. Forever and ever. Amen. The collapse of the Western world is inevitable due to common sense heat warming of the earth. That happens. We shouldn't do anything about it. We shouldn't even try. I'll catch ya on the other side of the fry pan or maybe the frier. Bruce Springsteen said "ooh ooh ooh I'm on fire". He should have gone to hospital and asked if he was having a heart attack. The boss obviously didn't realise that some things just happen, like heat. No wonder he was born to run...from common sense.

p.s Kosi if you work out what plugger is actually saying in his above dementia rant, could you PM me. cheers Bluthy.
p.s.s. Do you know where I can by some good air conditioning - I'm really worried now about having a heart attack because this summer there has been some heat around and I don't want to collapse on the footpath when I go to get to the paper.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
8856brother wrote:
Should have gotten life, and Carlisle was caught in traffic, however the slept in was a different occasion.

But hey don't let facts get in your way bluthy, you never have in the past, why break the habits of a lifetime?
So Carlisle was late twice - once because he didn't give himself enough time to deal with the inevitable Melbourne traffic delays and the other because he was lost in a dream of Kate Upton as a trainer giving him a pre-game massage.

Bunk, you made a huge sarcastic deal about people being concerned about Jake the Snake (thats going to become a thing) being punished by the club for late - "Oh its so terrible that a fatal car crash and people are dead and Jake is late blah blah" - when that wasn't the reason he was punished. So are you going to admit you were wrong on that?

ripplug66
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:
Yeah Kosi. If you can't stand the heat in the the kitchen then you'll have a heart attack. Things happen. We know that. Thats a fact. Its common sense. "heat" is in "heart" so the lesson is that hospitals should have good air conditioning. Or monitor how many heart attacks occur in common rooms. Its logic. Bad luck is just an unlucky thing that happens to players who don't have much luck. Heart attacks are a funny thing. There is nothing to be learned ever by the club. The club is infallible. Forever and ever. Amen. The collapse of the Western world is inevitable due to common sense heat warming of the earth. That happens. We shouldn't do anything about it. We shouldn't even try. I'll catch ya on the other side of the fry pan or maybe the frier. Bruce Springsteen said "ooh ooh ooh I'm on fire". He should have gone to hospital and asked if he was having a heart attack. The boss obviously didn't realise that some things just happen, like heat. No wonder he was born to run...from common sense.

p.s Kosi if you work out what plugger is actually saying in his above dementia rant, could you PM me. cheers Bluthy.
p.s.s. Do you know where I can by some good air conditioning - I'm really worried now about having a heart attack because this summer there has been some heat around and I don't want to collapse on the footpath when I go to get to the paper.

Is that humour? You have tried humour a few times and failed. Better to stick to rehab and addicts. And if you cant see my point that's your issue. I do like your posting though. And I am serious about that.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:
Bluthy wrote:

I'm not sure I understand the heart attack analogy, but if I was Goddard's dad and the club said to me we're going to the same place with the same conditions and we're going to do exactly the same things that put your son in hospital last time, I wouldn't be very happy.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
ripplug66
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:
Bluthy wrote:

I'm not sure I understand the heart attack analogy, but if I was Goddard's dad and the club said to me we're going to the same place with the same conditions and we're going to do exactly the same things that put your son in hospital last time, I wouldn't be very happy.
The point of the heart attack analogy is hospitals would monitor patients better then any footy club would be expected to monitor footballers but patients still have heart attacks whilst in hospital. Some things will happen however you monitor it. No other player collapsed so maybe there was a reason Goddard did and maybe that reason would have been impossible to see or monitor. I'm sure they will be careful in the same environment but we are guessing if it was due to poor monitoring of players. I'm not sure what lessons could be learnt from this but I will guess they will do the same training again next season if they think it benefits the players.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Bluthy wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:
Bluthy wrote:

:D

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:
Bluthy wrote:

How old are you?