Dustin Martin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dustin Martin

asaint wrote:Disgraceful, intimidating,aggressive behaviour. To suggest that the lady was in any way to blame is not acceptable.
He threatened her ffs, there are no excuses.
I'm not saying she is to blame, but I think confronting a guy who you suspect to be coked up and out of control drunk is a poor decision. Then when he reacts angrily, suggesting that you are going to do the thing that will piss him off most by ringing the club?

The guy is a nutcase, just call the police or security… or leave the venue as I have done many times when someone is ruining the vibe.

There's no excuses for Martin's behavior, but at the same time I would be pretty disappointed if one of my kids confronted someone in that state.

markp
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
asaint wrote:Disgraceful, intimidating,aggressive behaviour. To suggest that the lady was in any way to blame is not acceptable.
He threatened her ffs, there are no excuses.
I'm not saying she is to blame, but I think confronting a guy who you suspect to be coked up and out of control drunk is a poor decision. Then when he reacts angrily, suggesting that you are going to do the thing that will piss him off most by ringing the club?

The guy is a nutcase, just call the police or security… or leave the venue as I have done many times when someone is ruining the vibe.

There's no excuses for Martin's behavior, but at the same time I would be pretty disappointed if one of my kids confronted someone in that state.
Actually you are blaming her.

If someone is ruining your meal in a restaurant you should be able to ask them to desist without expecting to be threatened with death.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Okay, it's all her fault.

markp
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:
markp wrote:So her individual response to a public (and now on the public record) and physical threat to kill her changes the legality of what took place how?

What if she has been paid off, and the next time he does kill or seriously harm someone?

I don't get what you want or how you see the police role in this? Are the police incompetent? Or do they just let AFL players off? Or maybe, just maybe they need a report from the victim and not second hand info in the media.
I'm saying if the incident happened as reported then it's a serious crime that should be followed up by police.

markp
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Okay, it's all her fault.
To be fair, it's not far from saying she was 'asking for it'.

ripplug66
Club Player

markp wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:
markp wrote:So her individual response to a public (and now on the public record) and physical threat to kill her changes the legality of what took place how?

What if she has been paid off, and the next time he does kill or seriously harm someone?

I don't get what you want or how you see the police role in this? Are the police incompetent? Or do they just let AFL players off? Or maybe, just maybe they need a report from the victim and not second hand info in the media.
I'm saying if the incident happened as reported then it's a serious crime that should be followed up by police.

And I'm saying that the police know what they are doing and if it hasn't been followed up there would be a reason like a report must be made first and they don't charge through the media.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

There is a charge that could be laid...
Threat to Inflict Serious Injury http://www.judicialcollege.vic.edu.au/e ... m#4989.htm
I think that threatening to stab someone in the face with a chopstick followed by a slamming your hand on the wall next to the victim's head is worth getting Dusty in for a chat with police.

People should have the right to ask that rowdy patrons respect other diners without fearing for their own safety. If this behaviour by Martin is somehow justifiable then we have truly lost the plot as a society.

ripplug66
Club Player

Life Long Saint wrote:There is a charge that could be laid...
Threat to Inflict Serious Injury http://www.judicialcollege.vic.edu.au/e ... m#4989.htm
I think that threatening to stab someone in the face with a chopstick followed by a slamming your hand on the wall next to the victim's head is worth getting Dusty in for a chat with police.

People should have the right to ask that rowdy patrons respect other diners without fearing for their own safety. If this behaviour by Martin is somehow justifiable then we have truly lost the plot as a society.

I don't think anyone has said there isn't a charge that could be laid. I certainly think there is if it is reported. As for Martin he is the only one in the wrong in this situation.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
I get where you are coming from and was expecting a poor reception to my comments.

What would you expect might happen if you confronted an angry coked up drunk guy in a bar about his behavior?

Separate to blame which is squarely on Martin's shoulders, I think it was a poor decision.

Why she contacted his employer and the press instead of the police I think is a valid question.

From the reports, I think he needs to be formally charged and prosecuted, not just miss games of football.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Agree 100%

This isn't a private matter between two people, this is a menacing, public, and now on the public record, threat to kill.

Jesus.

Quite weird in fact if it's just left to the club to punish him.

ripplug66
Club Player

markp wrote:

Agree 100%

This isn't a private matter between two people, this is a menacing, public, and now on the public record, threat to kill.

Jesus.

Quite weird in fact if it's just left to the club to punish him.

So again are the police incompetent or they just let AFL footballers off? Or again police maybe just don't charge from media reports and thank god for that especially with amount they get wrong.

markp
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
markp wrote:
I get where you are coming from and was expecting a poor reception to my comments.

What would you expect might happen if you confronted an angry coked up drunk guy in a bar about his behavior?

Separate to blame which is squarely on Martin's shoulders, I think it was a poor decision.

Why she contacted his employer and the press instead of the police I think is a valid question.

From the reports, I think he needs to be formally charged and prosecuted, not just miss games of football.
I wasn't there, you weren't there.

You or I may have responded differently, we may not have.

Anyone is totally within their rights to do what she did, and to do so with the absolute expectation that they would not then be harmed or threatened. End of story.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:Anyone is totally within their rights to do what she did, and to do so with the absolute expectation that they would not then be harmed or threatened. End of story.
My expectation of confronting an out of control drunk person in a bar would be a negative and most likely aggressive response, but threatening my life is a whole other level.

I would recommend to my kids or anyone in this situation would be to call security, police or find a different venue, do not confront them.

markp
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
markp wrote:Anyone is totally within their rights to do what she did, and to do so with the absolute expectation that they would not then be harmed or threatened. End of story.
My expectation of confronting an out of control drunk person in a bar would be a negative and most likely aggressive response, but threatening my life is a whole other level.

I would recommend to my kids or anyone in this situation would be to call security, police or find a different venue, do not confront them.

All fair enough.

And it was a (decent) Japanese restaurant, one where you can eat at the bar, so if you're trying to enjoy a meal and someone's being obnoxious, it's not like you're walking down a dark alley to confront some hells angels on the middle of drunken brawl.

#gosaintas
Club Player

markp wrote:
dragit wrote:
markp wrote:

Anyone is totally within their rights to do what she did, and to do so with the absolute expectation that they would not then be harmed or threatened. End of story.

Some people just love to be outraged

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

The simple answer is the Police need a formal complaint from the alleged victim before they will respond. Given the media they may contact her but if she fails to make the complaint - criminally there is no victim hence no Police involvement.

In this case it looks like she has chosen to go to the media rather than the Police first, its not to suggest she cant make a formal Police complaint following, as she can.

At the end of the day if there is evidence he said that he should be punted from the game pernanently!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
darylcowie
Club Player

Shrimp cocktail, anyone? (one for any Blues Brothers trainspotters out there)

Seriously though, my partner (who knows bugger all about footy) said when this story came on the news last night "the haircut says it all, really, doesn't it?"

Dustin, it's better to keep your trap shut and let the world think that you are a complete nuff nuff, rather than open your trap to confirm their suspicions!

He must pay a substantial fine for such disgraceful behaviour towards this woman, not to mention the repair of the restaurant wall plastering.

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Have to agree with Dragit here

Confronting and threatening a drunken and possibly drug effected is not a safe thing to do. And that is in essence what she did.

It's not a case of her asking for it or bringing it on herself...
She found herself in a bad position and her response resulted in her being in a more vulnerable spot.

I think the right thing to do was let the management deal with it, leave or call the police

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:
markp wrote:
dragit wrote:
markp wrote:

Some people just love to be outraged
And I have the right to catch the train whenever I want by myself w/o giving a second thought as to whether I will be mugged.

I wouldn't catch a 0030 heading to Dandenong on a Saturday night if I could avoid it

sainters4eva
Club Player

Another question that needs to be asked is where was the Responsible Service of Alcohol? If he was as drunk as is made out the restaurant owners should be held to account as well.

markp
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:The simple answer is the Police need a formal complaint from the alleged victim before they will respond. Given the media they may contact her but if she fails to make the complaint - criminally there is no victim hence no Police involvement.

In this case it looks like she has chosen to go to the media rather than the Police first, its not to suggest she cant make a formal Police complaint following, as she can.

At the end of the day if there is evidence he said that he should be punted from the game pernanently!
What if there were other witnesses?

What if he had stabbed her and she didn't want to make a formal complaint?

What if the club had given him her details, and he'd phoned her so now she felt vulnerable?

I'd be staggered if the police weren't looking into it at all, and staggered if they were totally powerless to proceed if it could be proven, even if she didn't want to pursue it.

ripplug66
Club Player

markp wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:The simple answer is the Police need a formal complaint from the alleged victim before they will respond. Given the media they may contact her but if she fails to make the complaint - criminally there is no victim hence no Police involvement.

What if the club had given him her details, and he'd phoned her so now she felt vulnerable?

I'd be staggered if the police weren't looking into it at all, and staggered if they were totally powerless to proceed if it could be proven, even if she didn't want to pursue it.

Well you obviously think the cops are incompetent.

markp
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:
markp wrote:

Well you obviously think the cops are incompetent.
Thanks for telling me what I think.

But what I think is that they would be investigating it, and they could proceed without a formal complaint from the victim if it could still be proven.

If it's ok for me to think other than what you think I think or tell me I think, that is.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

I can see where Dragit is coming from.

And that's not blaming the victim, Martin is a nutter and should get punished.

But sometimes it's best not to approach a nutter....

ripplug66
Club Player

markp wrote:
Thanks for telling me what I think.

But what I think is that they would be investigating it, and they could proceed without a formal complaint from the victim if it could still be proven.

If it's ok for me to think other than what you think I think or tell me I think, that is.

Well you are going to be disappointed unless there is a complaint because the cops wont do a thing based on media.