Rod and reality - Butters interview

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ripplug66
Club Player

Re: Rod and reality - Butters interview

Darth Vader wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
saynta wrote:Sorry SR there is more than a bit of truth in what scollop is saying. I have never gotten over the Thomas sacking,

The fact that a drug addled drunk pulled the trigger only adds to my angst.
I agree with Ripplug66

GT was a one track pony when it games to gameplan. Once the other coaches worked it out (and the gameplan was Rendell's), it was all over red rover. The Streak was struck down.

Coincidently this was at the same time as GT rather than train took all the players to watch 'The Day After Tomorrow". End of the World indeed.

I do agree with Scollop though that GT had a great list to work with. Saint's were lucky to finish low in the ear of priority picks, lucked in to benefit from the Blues being penalised for cheating and Hamill falling out with Elliot. However the Saints showed great skill in securing a range of other talented players from other clubs and had several seasons of really good drafting of talent relative to where the picks were (before the Great Decline in drafting the right kids set in).

GT's track record was disharmony wherever he worked.

He and RB did a great job at the Saints early on. But let's be honest here. GT never deserved to coach the Saints and only got the job in an underhand way via a sham process that he was content to lie about till after the dust up with RB when it all came out. Which made GT's assertion that he would later setep aside if a better coach came along hollow words indeed.

I put it more down to losing Goose, Sammy, Sam Fisher, Luke Ball, Kosi and Luke Penny for critical and extended periods of time.
Well we all know what GT thought of "training services". If his attitude influenced how this part of the club was run/funded/supported, maybe he bears some responsibility for the shocking injury run anyway. So we can still blame him.

I wouldn't think so. Far to easy to blame him for everything. Doubt fitness of p;ayers was part of his gig.

Darth Vader
Club Player

ripplug66 wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
saynta wrote:Sorry SR there is more than a bit of truth in what scollop is saying. I have never gotten over the Thomas sacking,

The fact that a drug addled drunk pulled the trigger only adds to my angst.
I agree with Ripplug66

GT was a one track pony when it games to gameplan. Once the other coaches worked it out (and the gameplan was Rendell's), it was all over red rover. The Streak was struck down.

Coincidently this was at the same time as GT rather than train took all the players to watch 'The Day After Tomorrow". End of the World indeed.

I do agree with Scollop though that GT had a great list to work with. Saint's were lucky to finish low in the ear of priority picks, lucked in to benefit from the Blues being penalised for cheating and Hamill falling out with Elliot. However the Saints showed great skill in securing a range of other talented players from other clubs and had several seasons of really good drafting of talent relative to where the picks were (before the Great Decline in drafting the right kids set in).

GT's track record was disharmony wherever he worked.

He and RB did a great job at the Saints early on. But let's be honest here. GT never deserved to coach the Saints and only got the job in an underhand way via a sham process that he was content to lie about till after the dust up with RB when it all came out. Which made GT's assertion that he would later setep aside if a better coach came along hollow words indeed.

I put it more down to losing Goose, Sammy, Sam Fisher, Luke Ball, Kosi and Luke Penny for critical and extended periods of time.
Well we all know what GT thought of "training services". If his attitude influenced how this part of the club was run/funded/supported, maybe he bears some responsibility for the shocking injury run anyway. So we can still blame him.

I wouldn't think so. Far to easy to blame him for everything. Doubt fitness of p;ayers was part of his gig.
Yeah you're probably right but we did hear stories of Ball and his groin and Kosi and his back being played when they weren't really right. We'll never know what really happened and how much input coaching department had.

Saints43
Club Player

Darth Vader wrote:Well we all know what GT thought of "training services". If his attitude influenced how this part of the club was run/funded/supported, maybe he bears some responsibility for the shocking injury run anyway. So we can still blame him.
I think GT had a frustration with the fitness regimes at the club ability to deliver fit players to him. That's fair enough isn't it?
We changed them just about every year and looked to Monash to assist us with hamstring injuries for memory.

It seemed a pretty incredible difference when we bought David Misson from Sydney. Imagine if we'd got him three or four years earlier....

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
Johnny Member wrote: I put it more down to losing Goose, Sammy, Sam Fisher, Luke Ball, Kosi and Luke Penny for critical and extended periods of time.
This was undoubtedly the biggest issue in 2004 and 2005.

At the time I remember making a mental note to say people we think we screwed it up, but we were missing huge chunks of our best team.
It was actually a miracle to make a prelim in in 05 and even the finish 6th in 06 with the injuries we had.

Amazing effort.

I always wondered how bad our 'tactics' would have looked back then had we actually had these guys (and others) fit and available.

ripplug66
Club Player

Johnny Member wrote:
evertonfc wrote:
Johnny Member wrote: I put it more down to losing Goose, Sammy, Sam Fisher, Luke Ball, Kosi and Luke Penny for critical and extended periods of time.
This was undoubtedly the biggest issue in 2004 and 2005.

At the time I remember making a mental note to say people we think we screwed it up, but we were missing huge chunks of our best team.
It was actually a miracle to make a prelim in in 05 and even the finish 6th in 06 with the injuries we had.

Amazing effort.

I always wondered how bad our 'tactics' would have looked back then had we actually had these guys (and others) fit and available.

I think it shows how good the side was compared to 09 and 10. it was an amazing side. Out best ever and especially for depth. People say GT got the contracts wrong. I would suggest we kept our best players and had the best depth you could possibly have. If those in charge of contracts in 09 and 10 had got them right we may have got a Harris type instead of a Polo type.