Dunstan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

evo
Club Player

Re: Dunstan

Not a big fan myself, but it must be considered that he was about pick 18 in a compromised draft, so should not be expected to be a super star. I think that he will be a b+ player at best, hope I'm proven wrong though.

howlinwolf
Club Player

I would give the kid a break. He is very young and developing even though his body looks developed.
He wears his heart on his sleeve and will be a very loyal servant of our club.
He was given the revered No. 7 for a reason.

I see lots of similar traits.

I'm not sure Lenny was burning it up any better at Luke's age.

In case you haven't noticed... I really like him.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Bit harsh on here.

He's still on a slow burn like a lot of the 19-22 year old's on our list.

And most are coming along nicely.

I actually just watched the last quarter again... Dunstan was very good. Dragged us back into the contest truth be told.
Last edited by bigred on Mon 09 May 2016 10:09pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

evo wrote:Not a big fan myself, but it must be considered that he was about pick 18 in a compromised draft, so should not be expected to be a super star. I think that he will be a b+ player at best, hope I'm proven wrong though.
I hope you're wrong BIG time. He will become a very good player. Was captain of the SA under 18s. Becoming a big fan.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Lifted and had an impact on the game.
I think he will be a very good player.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
saint-stu
Club Player

He's going to make Mart look VERY SILLY in a few years time. And don't be coming on here when he does saying "I got it wrong". What a load of crap. Maybe you should give him this opinion in person next training?

Anyway, I'm convinced about Dunstan. Very good pickup. His disposal is pretty good and have no idea why people question it. He's not lightning quick but how many inside mids are? Armo and Ross certainly aren't. Still just a kid, be patient!

1ac46a38
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Dunstan is a pure footballer - great brain and has composure - just needs to build his tank - doesn't need speed as he has the ability to assess a situation and deliver - tough as nails as well

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Seriously

We were flogged around the footy for three quarters. He was one of 4 mids getting a bath. Problem is, he has been underwhelming in his output since the end of his first year.

This year he's played 6 games
He's had one solid game
3 very average games
2 poor games which had one very good quarter

Probably 4-6 good quarters out of 24.

Seriously
Again
He had 8 kicks on Sunday.

No one is suggesting he is a super star right now but the type of consistency you're expecting should be coming from our senior players who bugger me if you dare criticise.

For guys like Dunstan, Acres etc. what I'm wanting to see are signs that they are capable of taking their games to the level of very good players. His final quarter on Sunday is an example of that. It's an example of what he is capable of producing.

He's not there yet... But he is showing signs that he could become a match winner

Griggsy
SS Life Member

satchmo wrote:Lifted and had an impact on the game.
Just as important that he lifted when a leader in Armitage was off the ground. Did well to step into that void in the final quarter.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

evo wrote:Not a big fan myself, but it must be considered that he was about pick 18 in a compromised draft, so should not be expected to be a super star. I think that he will be a b+ player at best, hope I'm proven wrong though.
A player that has definitely passed him is Seb Ross. I cant believe people were bagging him. Not only is he getting better on the inside, his run and spread was very good. This is his break out year.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:
A player that has definitely passed him is Seb Ross. I cant believe people were bagging him. Not only is he getting better on the inside, his run and spread was very good. This is his break out year.
How many years head start has Ross had on Dunstan?

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Bluthy wrote:Was he crying? That does seems a bit weird over a h&a game. You don't know what is going on in peoples personal life though.

Dunny is always right in the hottest part of the kitchen making it really hard for the oppo to get clean take away. I reckon Richo loves his work there because that means he doesnt have to over-stack the midfield but can leave players ready on the spread for a counter attack. And he seems to be the main one of our youngsters that is driving his teammates to go to a new level. He's not happy with honorable losses.

"Dunny", lets hope we can do better than that....

Dunstan was drafted at the same time as Acres. Last week Acres won the rising star nomination and the footy world reckons he's got a bright future. Dunstan has already played 40 games and established himself as a regular selection in the best 20.

He's already established himself and like Acres, Billings and the other young players he will continue to improve. He may turn out a better player than Luke Ball and may even be as good as Lenny.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

As Richo would say "Luke is going to be a RIPPER for us".
Last edited by magnifisaint on Tue 10 May 2016 4:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
spert
Saintsational Legend

A glimpse of his potential in one quarter of footy against North, and he will be one of those mids who will influence games in the next few seasons- he also had a great quarter against the Pies which helped get us in the winning position. I remember Greg Williams years back who became a premiership midfielder after a few years looking like a plodder- similar kind of player to Dunstan.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:
ROLS-LEE wrote:

To all those criticising Dunstan, this is a very good point.

Seb Ross - just turned 23. Drafted 2011.

Luke Dunstan - just turned 21. Drafted 2013.

Have a read of this article about Ross's development from The Age a few weeks ago for some perspective on the time it takes a young fella to really establish and flourish at senior level.

"It's early on a Thursday morning and Seb Ross is sitting in a corner of the common room at St Kilda, as teammates turn up to work and staff members fill their coffee cups at the kitchenette a few metres away. He's talking about what it was like to get to the club five years ago, thinking he knew how to work hard, only to realise on his very first day of training that he was nowhere near fit enough to play the one position he knew how to play, or even any other one."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/r ... z48DxazRd5

Ridiculous to say Dunstan is not even a B grader yet or that he's not going to make it. A quality kid who is on the road to being an A grade inside mid.
Played 16 games in his first season. 19 in his second. Basically stepped straight out of the draft into the team and has mostly been there ever since. Injured his shoulder at the end of 2014 and it impacted him last season. Rising star nominee, was captain of S.A under 18's, Only just turned 21....future leader of the club.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

At the same age: Luke is averaging 18.3 possessions vs Sam Mitchell's (Hawks) 17.8 ... and also averaging 1.6 more tackles per game.
I'm happy with that!

Sam Mitchell vs Luke Dunstan ...... at the same age

2003 Stats for Season 2016
21 Games 6
9.5 Kicks Per Game 6.5
8.3 Handballs Per Game 11.8
17.8 Disposals Per Game 18.3
2.6 Marks Per Game 2.7
0.2 Goals Per Game 0.3
0.1 Behinds Per Game 0.5
4.2 Tackles Per Game 5.8

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Will be a very very good player.

Is having a decent season mixed in with an excellent quarter here and there.

Like most young players,consistency is the biggest hurdle.

His attitude and effort cannot be faulted, and as shown by the breakout quarters he has had, when he is on song, he has a very high ceiling.

I'm expecting a Viney like season next year. He'll get his fitness base closer to where it needs to be, and alongside the development of Acres and Gresham, he'll become a midfield beast.

Very few players of his age group I'd swap him for.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
whiskers3614 wrote:
ROLS-LEE wrote:

Have a read of this article about Ross's development from The Age a few weeks ago for some perspective on the time it takes a young fella to really establish and flourish at senior level.

"It's early on a Thursday morning and Seb Ross is sitting in a corner of the common room at St Kilda, as teammates turn up to work and staff members fill their coffee cups at the kitchenette a few metres away. He's talking about what it was like to get to the club five years ago, thinking he knew how to work hard, only to realise on his very first day of training that he was nowhere near fit enough to play the one position he knew how to play, or even any other one."

Ridiculous to say Dunstan is not even a B grader yet or that he's not going to make it. A quality kid who is on the road to being an A grade inside mid.
Played 16 games in his first season. 19 in his second. Basically stepped straight out of the draft into the team and has mostly been there ever since. Injured his shoulder at the end of 2014 and it impacted him last season. Rising star nominee, was captain of S.A under 18's, Only just turned 21....future leader of the club.

Well said mate.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

st.byron wrote:
whiskers3614 wrote:
ROLS-LEE wrote:

I didn't say Dunstan wasn't any good. I just pointed out a fact that last year and the year b4 most people were saying to get rid of Seb. Too slow etc. I just pointed out that I believe he has passed Dunstan now.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:
st.byron wrote:
whiskers3614 wrote:
ROLS-LEE wrote:

I didn't say Dunstan wasn't any good. I just pointed out a fact that last year and the year b4 most people were saying to get rid of Seb. Too slow etc. I just pointed out that I believe he has passed Dunstan now.

Agree with you. Seems right given their respective ages and time in the system.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Most thought seb was not going to make it. Most thought Dunstan was and would be better. I'm glad Seb has stepped up and show potential. Last year's practise games showed glimpse of it before he was injured. Everyone fighting for spots is only good for our saints.

supersaints
Club Player

Griggsy wrote:
satchmo wrote:Lifted and had an impact on the game.
Just as important that he lifted when a leader in Armitage was off the ground. Did well to step into that void in the final quarter.
Agree with you both he showed a certain character when Armo went off ... Took on a roll , i think he'll be someone who bleeds deep for the club and his mates. Sort of player you want around finals. A lot to look forward to.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Why is everyone being so sensitive?

He's no superstar ... Or even a good mid yet ... He's 21 (with what few 21yo players have - a mans body)

Everyone can surely admit, he's slow. He's hard at it and got pretty good hands, a shallow kick and doesn't find it enough yet
Because he can't get to enough contests

Please don't make silly comparisons
Seb Ross played 3 years at Sandy because he was in a queue behind
Hayes, Armitage, Dal Santo, Jones, Steven, Goddard at different times... They were seasoned A grade or B Grade AFL mids.
Dunstan has an opportunity to play in a bereft midfield

Sam Michell's was drafted at 19yo his first full year was as a 21yo when he burst on the scene as a Rising Star.

All Luke needs to do to become a quality mid is trim down and cover more ground. Like Jack Viney.
An AFL B Grade mid will pull about 23ppg at Ok efficiency... He is at about 17
Miles, Adams, S.Selwood etc

Cripps and Bontempelli are future or current A Graders

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Great players can have 3 bad quarters and then turn it on in a 100% physical and emotional effort to get across the line a winner. Especially in their 3rd year.
He is gonna be an A grader and will probably be underated at that.
Dont worry about the tears. He is still a kid and one who is very focused on winning footy matches.
I am ecstatic that we are playing the way we are. But I still want a good pick in the draft or a 6 or 7 game winning streak in the march to the seasons end so losses dont bother me. I see finals next year for sure at this rate.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Why is everyone being so sensitive?

He's no superstar ... Or even a good mid yet ... He's 21 (with what few 21yo players have - a mans body)

Everyone can surely admit, he's slow. He's hard at it and got pretty good hands, a shallow kick and doesn't find it enough yet
Because he can't get to enough contests

Please don't make silly comparisons
Seb Ross played 3 years at Sandy because he was in a queue behind
Hayes, Armitage, Dal Santo, Jones, Steven, Goddard at different times... They were seasoned A grade or B Grade AFL mids.
Dunstan has an opportunity to play in a bereft midfield

Sam Michell's was drafted at 19yo his first full year was as a 21yo when he burst on the scene as a Rising Star.

All Luke needs to do to become a quality mid is trim down and cover more ground. Like Jack Viney.
An AFL B Grade mid will pull about 23ppg at Ok efficiency... He is at about 17
Miles, Adams, S.Selwood etc

Cripps and Bontempelli are future or current A Graders
Who is being sensitive though?

People acknowledge that he had a great last quarter. That's it.
You're response has been to repeatedly highlight that he played three quiet ones before hand.

No ones denying that but I think most on here agree that we're seeing signs that Luke's best is excellent.

It's like you're having an argument with your self here... You're ignoring the thing being discussed and focusing on the negative not bring discussed.