Sam Gilbert

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sam Gilbert

Wouldn't be in my selected side next week FWIW

and Con, you are so dramatic

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

AA? James Hird?

Good night Con; I'm going home to watch the replay.

You can bang on about Sam Gilbert without any further interjections from me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:I get why this is frustrating for Con, it's like that episode of the Simpsons when Krusty bets all of his money against the Harlem Globetrotters and he's just yelling at the General's player to take the ball "HE'S SPINNING THE BALL ON HIS FINGER! JUST TAKE IT, TAKE THE BALL".
Hahaha Brilliant analogy. I love it. Thank you. That is exactly how I feel. It is right there in front of our faces :D .

Of course when he has his one ok game every 5 or 6 games - they will be out claiming he has 'shoved it right up me' Teddy Whitten style :D

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:AA? James Hird?

Good night Con; I'm going home to watch the replay.

You can bang on about Sam Gilbert without any further interjections from me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tall. Blonde. Can go fwd or back. Can play midfield. Basically Gibo is a clone of Hird. Although Gilbo a better tackler so a bit better than Hird was.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

I really appreciate Sam's midfield efforts at a contest. Sometimes there are not only second and third efforts but fourth and fifth with chasing, pressuring, tackling and he creates turnovers from this. His work to pick the ball up on the deck was one touch and he fed the ball out well. Yes he made mistakes BUT so did every other player IMHO. An important player still. Not a champ but important.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Wouldn't be in my selected side next week FWIW

and Con, you are so dramatic
Agree time for a change bring in White or Murdoch to play his role. Roberton was putrid again tonight also...

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:I really appreciate Sam's midfield efforts at a contest. Sometimes there are not only second and third efforts but fourth and fifth with chasing, pressuring, tackling and he creates turnovers from this. His work to pick the ball up on the deck was one touch and he fed the ball out well. Yes he made mistakes BUT so did every other player IMHO. An important player still. Not a champ but important.
Are you talking about today or some time in the past? Surely you arent talking about today? He had 3 disposals at 3/4 time FFS.

More delusional stuff.

This is a memory trick where people remember good things he has done in the past and somehow claim they happened today.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:I really appreciate Sam's midfield efforts at a contest. Sometimes there are not only second and third efforts but fourth and fifth with chasing, pressuring, tackling and he creates turnovers from this. His work to pick the ball up on the deck was one touch and he fed the ball out well. Yes he made mistakes BUT so did every other player IMHO. An important player still. Not a champ but important.
Are you talking about today or some time in the past? Surely you arent talking about today? He had 3 disposals at 3/4 time FFS.

More delusional stuff.

This is a memory trick where people remember good things he has done in the past and somehow claim they happened today.
I just value more than kicks and handballs. Spoils, tackles, blocks, shepherds, pressure acts, lock downs and tap ons are more important in team footy IMHO.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

More delusional stuff.

I just value more than kicks and handballs. Spoils, tackles, blocks, shepherds, pressure acts, lock downs and tap ons are more important in team footy IMHO.

Jesus christ. Ok.
He has not gone anywhere near the ball in 200 minutes of footy but wink wink - you know of the secret intangible stuff he is really secretly doing behind the scenes. Shh! Keep it a secret. Call up every single good player in the AFL and tell them they all have it wrong actually going for and getting the ball!

This is the phone call:

Ring ring.

BFUSA:

Hi Mr Dangerfield? Yeah mate. BFUSA here. Just letting you I think I can help you with your game. You see sometimes it is better not to actually go near the ball. Yes. Thats right. Dont go near it. Definitely dont try and kick or handball it to one of your team mates. And by golly never try and kick a goal. Yes it is an unknown thing - but most games are won by not being the near ball and executing imaginary blocks and shepherds. You got that mate?

Danger:
Thanks mate. Ive never thought about that but you are right! If I can not touch the ball for the rest of the season a Flag for the Cats is almost a certainty! Cheers mate.

BFUSA:
Well you have my number now mate. So just call me when you need more advice.

Hangs up.

BFUSA:
Now who can I call next? Maybe Ill give Coniglio, Shiel and Ward a conference call and explain to them how not going near the ball will win them more games!

Flicks through a little black book looking for phone numbers.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sun 22 May 2016 10:37pm, edited 3 times in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:I get why this is frustrating for Con, it's like that episode of the Simpsons when Krusty bets all of his money against the Harlem Globetrotters and he's just yelling at the General's player to take the ball "HE'S SPINNING THE BALL ON HIS FINGER! JUST TAKE IT, TAKE THE BALL".

It's like you're watching something, it's right there in front of you plain for everyone to see... And some people just don't want to see it, don't want to acknowledge it. They just outright refuse.

The rationalisations appear... "You're singling him out, he did these things well, he has experience (man do I love that one), he tries so hard, there were so many worse performers...

You try to reason with those involved... But you can't because the arguments aren't based on reason. It's some type of emotional attachment... I like him so therefore he must be playing well.

It gets frustrating.

Then to top it off, once every 4-5 games said player plays a good one and these ppl lose their minds. We get the inevitable "hang your head in shame Gilbert detractors" thread and the cycle goes.

Gilbert isn't the first player this has happened to and he won't be the last...

The problem is that whilst these under performing senior players are gifted games that get us nothing, other players that could develop into better players are deprived and ultimately fail because they only get one or 2 games to show what they can do.

Tom Lee is pbly an example of a guy whose career is online, would watch that performance and think... "Yep that guy is regularly getting games ahead of me with performances like that" and he'll pbly drop his head just a bit more.

Acres, Sinclair, Lonie, Eli, Lee, Goddard, Holmes, Pierce are pbly all worth more than what see saw from Gilbert today and what we see from him regularly...

It was an aspect of RL's coaching that I couldn't stand... Watters' to a degree too and whilst Richo has made changes, there are some concerning signs RE his team selection.
This.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Will the real Con please stand up.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75938&p=1220807&hil ... t#p1220807
Con Gorozidis wrote:i agree. people are over harsh on gilbo. he seems like the kind of guy who responds to encouragement. not bagging. he really does try very hard. sometimes he puts his head down and gets down on himself too easily. but the bloke just wants some love i think.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:Will the real Con please stand up.

Con Gorozidis wrote:i agree. people are over harsh on gilbo. he seems like the kind of guy who responds to encouragement. not bagging. he really does try very hard. sometimes he puts his head down and gets down on himself too easily. but the bloke just wants some love i think.
Kosi filtering ancient posts to try and score a 'point'. Arghh Kosi. I really get on your nerves dont I? How long did that take you to 'search' you sad bugger?

I'll say it again for the slow learners who cant follow a simple point - I call it as I see it based on actual performance and actual recent form.

Three games this year with < 10 disposals playing as an unaccountable midfielder at the age of 29 is very very poor on any objective unbiased measure.

AFL power rankings have Gilbo rated around 400th in the AFL. This is accurate. It is what it is. If you are 400th at 29 - then that isnt good enough to be an automatic selection in a developing side.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Trying to play the man there Kosi?

Would you just address the facts associated with the last two games from Gilbo. Simple question. Were they acceptable AFL games from a 29 yo?

The last two weeks I dont actually believe Gilbo has been trying. He hasnt been near the ball. It needs to be addressed, not ignored.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Played a real crap game. He seemed disinterested at times

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
widereceiver
Club Player

Do any of you losers remember Kane Taylor - Milan Faletic - or the myriad of other no-hopers we have watched play in our guernsey?

Who ever said Sam Gilbert is going to win the Brownlow or the King Gee Player of the year? He can't kick, has very poor vision and if it weren't for his flexibility in different positions, probably wouldn't be in the team as we progress to challenging for a top four berth. Oh, wait...

Get stuffed you faint hearted phoneys.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

I hope Gilbo plays every game this year.
Head gasket blowing goodness.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

widereceiver wrote:Do any of you losers remember Kane Taylor - Milan Faletic - or the myriad of other no-hopers we have watched play in our guernsey?

Who ever said Sam Gilbert is going to win the Brownlow or the King Gee Player of the year? He can't kick, has very poor vision and if it weren't for his flexibility in different positions, probably wouldn't be in the team as we progress to challenging for a top four berth. Oh, wait...

Get stuffed you faint hearted phoneys.
Kane Taylor wasnt that bad :D
Had one very good year in the back pocket IIRC.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Gilbo is versatile all right. Equally inept in all positions. Midfield, back and fwd.

widereceiver
Club Player

Kane Taylor wasnt that bad :D
Had one very good year in the back pocket IIRC.[/quote]

Hilaire - credibility totally out the window.

We were the worst I've ever seen us and even at that he didn't deserve a game.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

Kosi filtering ancient posts to try and score a 'point'. Arghh Kosi. I really get on your nerves dont I? How long did that take you to 'search' you sad bugger?
It took me a lot less time to find that than it took you to write 50 posts on the same thing. Did you get time to watch the game yet? Although I guess it doesn't take that long if you just copy and paste the same thing over and over.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Con - we can agree to disagree. You think he is crap. I think he is valuable. I thought his second half was really good. You didn't. That's ok. And as far as i am concerned he doesn't have to play like Dangerfield. That is the role of Jack Steven. Instead he has to play the role of an inside pressure mid who can swing back or forward as we so require.

He plays the inside pressure mid role well IMHO.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

widereceiver wrote:

Hilaire - credibility totally out the window.

We were the worst I've ever seen us and even at that he didn't deserve a game.
Not sure how it is relevant. I am not claiming any credibility.

The numbers and independent/unbiased ratings of Gilbert speak for themselves.

He has been objectively poor the past two weeks. Anyone objective or unbiased will admit that. It has got nothing to do with me or Kane Taylor for that metter.

Gilbert has been awful two weeks in a row and has had 3 utter stinkers from 9 games this year. That is not good enough for a 29yo.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:Con - we can agree to disagree. You think he is crap. I think he is valuable. I thought his second half was really good. You didn't. That's ok. And as far as i am concerned he doesn't have to play like Dangerfield. That is the role of Jack Steven. Instead he has to play the role of an inside pressure mid who can swing back or forward as we so require.

No I dont think he is 'crap'.
I think he has had two poor games in a row and it shouldnt be swept under the carpet.

This year he has had

2 good
4 average
3 stinkers

The thing is he is 29 and has been played in the easiest position on the ground. As an unaccountable midfielder/defender + 1.
Having three games with disposals of 6, 5 & 7 playing this role is poor.
It is not opinion - just fact.

I dont think he was even trying today in the first three quarters. He put in a token effort in the last. He only had 3 disposals at 3/4 time for gods sake.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

For what it is worth Kane Taylor averaged 18.2 disposals in 1991 and 17.0 in 1993 compared to Gilbo 16.0 in 2016.

Yes yes you will tell me disposals arent everything but Kane was good at the 1%rs.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:Con - we can agree to disagree. You think he is crap. I think he is valuable. I thought his second half was really good. You didn't. That's ok. And as far as i am concerned he doesn't have to play like Dangerfield. That is the role of Jack Steven. Instead he has to play the role of an inside pressure mid who can swing back or forward as we so require.

The club and coach choose to play Gilbert or any other player for that matter with all the inside knowledge available at hand......then we have the peanut gallery wishing to override any educated decision the club may have....yep..that'll work.

No faith in the club ?
I hope to see these peanuts put up their hands at the next AGM.

and as for Gilbert ? I personally think he is a valuable member of the team and mirror BFUSA views. happy to see him play next week.
Last edited by The Fireman on Sun 22 May 2016 11:44pm, edited 1 time in total.