Eli Templeton

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Eli Templeton

Bump -
i notice he's not even 'in the mix' this week.
Anyone know what the story is? Is he out of favour? Been asked to work on something particular? And is he OK with that??
Hopefully, i'm speaking 2 hours too soon and he's been selected.

To the top
SS Life Member

So whose place does he take - given he has to play as a forward with (maybe) some occasional mid field time?

And, in that role, is he ahead of Lonie who is also in the VFL side?

Whilst Templeton has height on Gresham, he does not have weight and that is the problem because he does not have the pace or evasiveness of Gresham and can not establish an advantage by getting his own ball in the heat of the mid field.

And then we have Freeman on the sidelines.

So, a Gresham he is not.

A Steven he is not.

An Armitage he is not.

A Dunstan he is not.

A Ross he is not.

A Billings he is not.

A Weller he is not.

An Acres he is not.

And I think Sinclair has him covered as well particularly when it comes to the physical contest.

So Templeton is at best 11th on the list for the roles he can be deployed to.

Then it is a given that McCartin, Bruce and Membrey will line up ahead of centre.

So what is left for Templeton unless he re-invents as a small defender?

I think Templeton is in the same boat as Minchington

Bear in mind that the last time we played WB they set their small defenders up behind the ball, said thank you very much and killed us doing as they wanted.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:So whose place does he take - given he has to play as a forward with (maybe) some occasional mid field time?

And, in that role, is he ahead of Lonie who is also in the VFL side?

Whilst Templeton has height on Gresham, he does not have weight and that is the problem because he does not have the pace or evasiveness of Gresham and can not establish an advantage by getting his own ball in the heat of the mid field.

And then we have Freeman on the sidelines.

So, a Gresham he is not.

A Steven he is not.

An Armitage he is not.

A Dunstan he is not.

A Ross he is not.

A Billings he is not.

A Weller he is not.

An Acres he is not.

And I think Sinclair has him covered as well particularly when it comes to the physical contest.

So Templeton is at best 11th on the list for the roles he can be deployed to.

Then it is a given that McCartin, Bruce and Membrey will line up ahead of centre.

So what is left for Templeton unless he re-invents as a small defender?

I think Templeton is in the same boat as Minchington

Bear in mind that the last time we played WB they set their small defenders up behind the ball, said thank you very much and killed us doing as they wanted.
I see Temps as playing a similar role to Montagna, Rory Laird, Rory Atkins type of players. Running out of defence or wing.
I guess I would have him in filling in for Savage?
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Fri 22 Jul 2016 11:54am, edited 1 time in total.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Why does he have to be a small forward? Is that a rule for any new player coming into the side??
It completely roots Minchington.
Neither Minchington or Eli play forward in the seconds... They rack up footy in the midfield. This year Eli is averaging around 30ppg.

In for Dunstan

Better runner, better kick. Better on the spread.

We have plenty on the inside and can get belted outside occasions. I keep saying it, Luke's output as a midfielder is below average.
He has had 10 kicks in a game once this year, he averages 18ppg as an inside mid. Seb Ross played VFL, Armitage played VFL, Jack Steven played VFL
Luke has never played VFL yet has never consistently been damaging... He seems to be very fortunate, Eli very unfortunate.

Eli is smoking it at VFL level and has been all season... deserves a chance

StPeter
Club Player

Eli deserves a place ahead of McKenzie in my opinion who has yet to show much.

I think he should have gone this week ahead of Minchington.

saintbob
SS Life Member

StPeter wrote:Eli deserves a place ahead of McKenzie in my opinion who has yet to show much.

I think he should have gone this week ahead of Minchington.

+ 1

saintbob
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Why does he have to be a small forward? Is that a rule for any new player coming into the side??
Neither Minchington or Eli play forward in the seconds... They rack up footy in the midfield. This year Eli is averaging around 30ppg.

In for Dunstan

We have plenty on the inside and can get belted outside occasions. I keep saying it, Luke's output as a midfielder is below average.
He has had 10 kicks in a game once this year, he averages 18ppg as an inside mid. Seb Ross played VFL, Armitage played VFL, Jack Steven played VFL
Luke has never played VFL yet has never consistently been damaging... He seems to be very fortunate, Eli very unfortunate.

Totally agree, Dunstan is obviously one of Richo's pets because his output isn't good enough to maintain his spot every week,

saintbob
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Why does he have to be a small forward? Is that a rule for any new player coming into the side??

In for Dunstan

Totally agree, Dunstan is obviously one of Richo's pets because his output isn't good enough to maintain his spot every week,

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Can those 'in the know' please le me in on what the coaches plans are for Dunstan
I see lots of posts from various posters claiming he's not producing enough during a game to keep his spot in the team so I'd like to know what it is he's not dong 'according to coaches instructions' that makes his demotion to Sandy imperative (in the posters clamouring for his demotion eyes).

Personally I don't know what it is the coaches are asking him to do in a game so I cannot offer an informed opinion as to how well/badly he is going.
It seems to me though, that his continued selection (in front of others) means he must be performing ok (at least) in terms of the coaches expectations?

spert
Saintsational Legend

I think Richo is not happy with erratic performances, and that is due to some guys just disappearing out of games for a quarter or two. Probably work-rate over four quarters, and defensive work off the ball is a priority over some other attributes, and possibly why Eli and Minch can't seem to get a hold in the seniors. Getting high stats in the VFL doesn't translate to success at senior level

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

In for Dunstan

+10000000000000000000000000

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Perhaps don't sit Minch or Eli in the forward pocket and aske them to just give forward pressure.... And give them a minute or two on the ball.... Or even Luke 120 minutes in the f50 and then see if he goes missing?...

Say it again...Luke needs to shed some weight... He's slow as treacle.

To the top
SS Life Member

To put a comparison of what Dunstan brings to the side to what either of Minchington or Templeton could bring to the side is a complete and utter nonsense.

Dunstan is a first choice selection - as evidenced.

Minchington and Templeton are not - again as evidenced.

And the reasons are obvious.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

If Eli doesn't replace Sinclair next week,something is seriously wrong with our selectors

shrodes
SS Life Member

saynta wrote:If Eli doesn't replace Sinclair next week,something is seriously wrong with our selectors
Sinclair got a special chat with Richo after the game. Looked like 'chin up young fella' type of thing. Maybe he won't be dropped.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

1 more chance for Eli, IMO. Goes missing at the next level.

Nee!
santazzi
Club Player

saynta wrote:If Eli doesn't replace Sinclair next week,something is seriously wrong with our selectors
I will give the coaches a little slack and consider the possibility that Eli is undergoing training at VFL for a "special" mission at AFL. I think of Nat Wright who spent quite some time in VFL and turned up at AFL as a forward line bulldozer.

ace
Saintsational Legend

shrodes wrote:
Sinclair got a special chat with Richo after the game. Looked like 'chin up young fella' type of thing. Maybe he won't be dropped.
Sinclair got told 3 possessions another game does not earn.
Don't give up, fight your way back into the team from the VFL.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
shrodes wrote:
Sinclair got told 3 possessions another game does not earn.
Is Yoda coaching us?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
freely
SS Hall of Fame

Anyone know what the problem was with Eli at the weekend? VFL match report just has him as 'absent'.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Which is a shame as I would have thought he would be in the seat to replace #7.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

freely wrote:Anyone know what the problem was with Eli at the weekend? VFL match report just has him as 'absent'.
He was sitting at the Saints game over the aisle from me yesterday, beanie on, seemed to be walking on two legs, had two arms, well enough to watch a game; no blatantly obvious problems! It remains a mystery ...

Always loyal
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Wasnt he an emergency?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote:Wasnt he an emergency?

No mckenzie and holmes were the two emergencies.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:1 more chance for Eli, IMO. Goes missing at the next level.
Eli is only 20 yo. Saying it his last chance is ridiculous.

Look at a guy like Rory Atkins who hadnt even played an AFL game until he was just 21.

http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Rati ... ory-ATKINS

People are way too quick to write young players off on here.

Eli had hamstring tightness last week.