5 Elite Players Short

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stkfc1
Club Player

Re: 5 Elite Players Short

Spinner wrote:
stkfc1 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
stevie wrote:can someone put up the list of players plse? I love a good laugh!
Elite Bulldogs players: Mitch Wallis, Marcus Bontempelli, Bob Murphy, Matthew Boyd, Jake Stringer, Luke Dahlhaus.
I'd only have Bont in as elite amongst those. Wallis, Boyd and Stringer are B+ players at best. Murph and Dal are A graders. The problem with Stats like Champion Data is they don't see the whole picture. You may have elite skills dosnt mean your an elite player.
It's better than your system of just pulling it out from no where haha

You don't have a definition for 'elite', Champion data do
You don't compare players against other teams, Champion data do
You don't compare players against other teams across positions, Champion data do

The data and analysis won't show the whole picture but it's miles better than any other method, including just someone's opinion based on watching a handful of games.
So your saying unless your Champion Data you have no idea who is a better player? Pretty sure I know what elite means. If you pick up a dictionary, you will too! I can compare players across the league, its actually not that hard to see who is better than others. Watching games will tell you who is who. Am I wrong in my assessment of those bulldogs players? Reckon most would agree with me champ. Dont need stats to tell me otherwise.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:My prediction for next year:

GWS
Bulldogs
Crows
Saints
Swans
Demons
Cats
Bombers
Eagles
Hawks

The rest
Just curious as to what you're basing the Bombers rise into the eight on...
Can't be form.
Before the penalties, they finished below us. From that team, they've lost Carlisle, Melksham and Hibberd and gained a few kids.
Am I missing something?

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Essendon will finish bottom 5 next year, probably bottom 3. The year off will play a big part in the second half of the year where they will fall away.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

stkfc1 wrote:
Spinner wrote:
stkfc1 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
stevie wrote:can someone put up the list of players plse? I love a good laugh!
Elite Bulldogs players: Mitch Wallis, Marcus Bontempelli, Bob Murphy, Matthew Boyd, Jake Stringer, Luke Dahlhaus.
I'd only have Bont in as elite amongst those. Wallis, Boyd and Stringer are B+ players at best. Murph and Dal are A graders. The problem with Stats like Champion Data is they don't see the whole picture. You may have elite skills dosnt mean your an elite player.
It's better than your system of just pulling it out from no where haha

You don't have a definition for 'elite', Champion data do
You don't compare players against other teams, Champion data do
You don't compare players against other teams across positions, Champion data do

The data and analysis won't show the whole picture but it's miles better than any other method, including just someone's opinion based on watching a handful of games.
So your saying unless your Champion Data you have no idea who is a better player? Pretty sure I know what elite means. If you pick up a dictionary, you will too! I can compare players across the league, its actually not that hard to see who is better than others. Watching games will tell you who is who. Am I wrong in my assessment of those bulldogs players? Reckon most would agree with me champ. Dont need stats to tell me otherwise.

Thanks Champ, this post actually made me laugh.

The definition for elite wasn't the dictionary meaning, it was the objective meaning in the context of footballers. The one you were using in your system. When you use it do you mean top 10 in afl? Top 20? Top 5 in a team... So on and so on. The validity with champion data is that they use a measurable and consistent definition.

Anyways, elaborating any further would be a waste of time.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

You have to wonder what data set elevated Stringer into the elite category for 2016 though,

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:You have to wonder what data set elevated Stringer into the elite category for 2016 though,

Heard it was based on 40 games.

Stringer was AA last year so will probably be just on the cusp now.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: Heard it was based on 40 games.

Stringer was AA last year so will probably be just on the cusp now.
Cheers, that would make more sense, as his last 23 haven't been elite… Membrey would be heading there if he can continue his solid year, Hickey must be on the way also.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:I don't know who Champion Data rates as elite, for the record I'll do some ratings.

I've done 2 groups, players on our list that are elite and then the ones that have shown they are potentially elite and could become so at any time from now, including as early as next season.

Currently Elite

Riewoldt, Steven, Montagna, Dempster, Carlisle, Hickey & Weller.

Potentially or Imminently Elite

Gresham, Billings, McCartin, Acres, Dunstan, Newnes, Ross, Webster, Roberton, Bruce, Membrey, White, Steele, K.Stevens, Lonie & Freeman.
Don't get me wrong, I like Weller but to call him elite is the biggest case of Rose Coloured Glasses the world has ever seen. :shock:
Ditto Montagna and Dempster and Carlisle.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I rate Rooey as elite. Champion data can pleasure itself.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:I rate Rooey as elite. Champion data can pleasure itself.
:shock:

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

The Bulldogs won a premiership - that makes a lot of their players elite in my book. And the way they did it was reminiscent of the Adelaide 97-98 team. Even in some ways the Brisbane team of the early 2000s who never actually dominated any season but won important finals interstate.

When you think about it, you can have a lot of elite players but unless you have the depth to cover injuries you will get found out in a preliminary final or in a GF. I like the way we are developing our list and I hope that we can maximise our picks from next year's draft with those two early picks we will have. Obviously that depends on how we and Hawthorn both go in 2017, but I honestly believe that Hawthorn losing their top two players in their B&F, Jarryd (who is an extremely important and damaging player) having health concerns at present, several players well into their thirties, and given that the Hawks really just fell in in as many as 7 games last season, will probably result in them dropping outside of the 8, even if it's only for a year. If they have a real shocker we could end up with a top 5 or 6 draft pick.

I know we are a side along with several others who are possible candidates to play finals next year, but I think with the more difficult draw we will probably hold our position next year, giving us pick 10. If these picks are used wisely, we should have a very even spread of talent. Geelong, the Hawks and the Bulldogs have all had reserves premierships in the past decade and I think this is the key to seriously contending.

Add a FA and given the talent we already have, and with significant improvement in players like Billings, Roberton, Webster, and Dunstan all likely in 2017 with the extra support we have added, we should have a very good chance to go top 4 in 2018/19. 2017 is all about development.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Long Term Injury
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote:The Bulldogs won a premiership - that makes a lot of their players elite in my book. And the way they did it was reminiscent of the Adelaide 97-98 team. Even in some ways the Brisbane team of the early 2000s who never actually dominated any season but won important finals interstate.

When you think about it, you can have a lot of elite players but unless you have the depth to cover injuries you will get found out in a preliminary final or in a GF. I like the way we are developing our list and I hope that we can maximise our picks from next year's draft with those two early picks we will have. Obviously that depends on how we and Hawthorn both go in 2017, but I honestly believe that Hawthorn losing their top two players in their B&F, Jarryd (who is an extremely important and damaging player) having health concerns at present, several players well into their thirties, and given that the Hawks really just fell in in as many as 7 games last season, will probably result in them dropping outside of the 8, even if it's only for a year. If they have a real shocker we could end up with a top 5 or 6 draft pick.

I know we are a side along with several others who are possible candidates to play finals next year, but I think with the more difficult draw we will probably hold our position next year, giving us pick 10. If these picks are used wisely, we should have a very even spread of talent. Geelong, the Hawks and the Bulldogs have all had reserves premierships in the past decade and I think this is the key to seriously contending.

Add a FA and given the talent we already have, and with significant improvement in players like Billings, Roberton, Webster, and Dunstan all likely in 2017 with the extra support we have added, we should have a very good chance to go top 4 in 2018/19. 2017 is all about development.

Great post. Only thing I'd add is free agent next year... it might be time to try our luck.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

The number of elite doesn't mean much to me, by itself. It's the overall strength and balance of the team that counts.
If we could replace 3 GOPs with 3 elite possessing the right attributes that would also improve the overall balance of our team and address some of our weaknesses - then of course that would be a boost and would probably almost guarantee us a top 4.

However, I'd rather have a balanced team of goers comprising skilled B graders than a team with 6 elite, 10 B graders and 6 GOPs that has not found the right balance (for instance, a team where the key position players might be the 6 GOPs or which has a lack of speed overall and can be exposed by weaker teams: as we were with Essendon a few years ago when we were a team loaded with elites - and they were ordinary, but proved too quick for us).

Balance and overall strength is what counts!!

I hope we don't chase elite players just for the sake of it, and lose sight of the importance of overall team balance and strength.

For mine ...
The Bulldogs were a strong team overall and had the right balance. Just as importantly, they were a team of goers. Which makes them an elite team overall (not necessarily the team with the most elites).
I think the rankings of individual Bulldog players were revised upwards as a result of their GF win - the scribes and pundits were scrambling to reassess their lower (and more reasonable) rankings of the same group of players - because the end had to justify the means or vice versa - whereas, (IMHO, anyway) it was the "overall package" (the strength and balance of the team) that really counted (no pun intended).

spert
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:The number of elite doesn't mean much to me, by itself. It's the overall strength and balance of the team that counts.
If we could replace 3 GOPs with 3 elite possessing the right attributes that would also improve the overall balance of our team and address some of our weaknesses - then of course that would be a boost and would probably almost guarantee us a top 4.

However, I'd rather have a balanced team of goers comprising skilled B graders than a team with 6 elite, 10 B graders and 6 GOPs that has not found the right balance (for instance, a team where the key position players might be the 6 GOPs or which has a lack of speed overall and can be exposed by weaker teams: as we were with Essendon a few years ago when we were a team loaded with elites - and they were ordinary, but proved too quick for us).

Balance and overall strength is what counts!!

I hope we don't chase elite players just for the sake of it, and lose sight of the importance of overall team balance and strength.

For mine ...
The Bulldogs were a strong team overall and had the right balance. Just as importantly, they were a team of goers. Which makes them an elite team overall (not necessarily the team with the most elites).
I think the rankings of individual Bulldog players were revised upwards as a result of their GF win - the scribes and pundits were scrambling to reassess their lower (and more reasonable) rankings of the same group of players - because the end had to justify the means or vice versa - whereas, (IMHO, anyway) it was the "overall package" (the strength and balance of the team) that really counted (no pun intended).
The obvious thing with the Dogs win was the absolute team frenzied attack on the ball, being first to the ball and moving the ball as quickly as possible to a teammate.. LB really took a leaf out of Clarkson's first couple of years at Hawthorn no doubt. We need to get some of that attack on the loose ball happening, especially in the midfield.