Sinclair and Acres

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

portosaint
Club Player

Re: Sinclair and Acres

chico2001 wrote: Mon 27 Aug 2018 1:16pm
portosaint wrote: Mon 27 Aug 2018 11:57am Very hard to get a gauge on someone who has played 90% of their games out of position. Blake's development has been stifled and its not his fault IMO.

He is a true centreman... A big one at that. He is actually our point of difference. He's not this utility that AR is trying to make him out to be. Put him in the guts, leave him there to develop, and watch his game grow. The kid doesn't know if he is Arthur or Martha!

He plays in a different position every 5 bloody minutes. Do any of you understand how hard that would be in a team such as the Saints. Players who have one position to worry about struggle with our "structure and systems", let alone having to try and fit into multiple roles.

Part of me wants to see him go elsewhere.
There is a massive difference in what the coaches think and the supporters think on Acres. Why is this? If he was as good as people make out then he would be playing in the centre then every game..no questions asked. The excuses seem to include injuries, played in the wrong position etc. If you are worth your salt you get the ball dont you? regardless of position. Keep hearing big bodied etc well use that big body to smash some small forwards out of the way or small backmen for that matter.
As above, our coaches knew better with Tom Lynch didn't they? Now one of the games premier half forwards.

Mav Weller playing consistent s*** footy in the seniors. Maybe if he was Mav "big bodied" hey?

The coaches aren't always right me thinks.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

portosaint wrote: Mon 27 Aug 2018 11:57am Very hard to get a gauge on someone who has played 90% of their games out of position. Blake's development has been stifled and its not his fault IMO.

He is a true centreman... A big one at that. He is actually our point of difference. He's not this utility that AR is trying to make him out to be. Put him in the guts, leave him there to develop, and watch his game grow. The kid doesn't know if he is Arthur or Martha!

He plays in a different position every 5 bloody minutes. Do any of you understand how hard that would be in a team such as the Saints. Players who have one position to worry about struggle with our "structure and systems", let alone having to try and fit into multiple roles.

+1000% this.

Acres is a big bodied mid. For the record Pt 1 - He had shoddy groins in the pre-season and managed to get through the first month. He was the 3rd most improved player in the AFL (according to the agreed Champion Data/Club metrics). His groins then fell apart and he was played in the 2nd ruck (whilst Marshall was in the team too FFS!). Sat out the next 3 months + Sandy time. How anyone could say he had a poor year after this is just a complete and utter fvckwit. Zero continuity and as most with eyeballs would note - is also played regularly out of position.

Sinclair. For the record Pt 2 - in 2017, he was our only player rated as Elite in his position by Champion Data. And that position? Wing. Fvcking Wing. Not inside mid changing as small forward / high half forward. Unsure as to why Richo the Dribbler and/or Kingsley thought it was a great idea to rob our team of Sinclair's strengths in 2018 but well done to them. He's also still in our best 3 field kicks.

So - in 2019 - perhaps play Sinclair on a wing and let him link up with Billings (like in 2017) and let Acres play as a full time mid.

My fear is though that they'll trade Acres to Freo for Clive Waterhouse's jockstrap, Sinclair to Port for John Cahill's catheter but simultaneously extend Dunstan instead.

Go you red, black & white warriors
santazzi
Club Player

mightysainters wrote: Mon 27 Aug 2018 9:02am Acres is 192cm big bodied mid who is anything but unco... he hits the scoreboard and is a genuine goal kicking mid... he and Steven are out best mids we have.. by a mile
If Acres is one of the two best mids we have, does anyone have some explanation why Richardson persist playing him out of positions as a number of posters have noted?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

portosaint wrote: Mon 27 Aug 2018 1:12pm
rodgerfox wrote: Mon 27 Aug 2018 12:00pm

His decision making is appalling. His instinct is non-existent.

Therefore, I don't think he'll be a genuinely good on-baller.

His best chance is as a Tom Lynch (Adelaide version) type forward.
But he can't kick, which is a problem.
He is not a Tom Lynch type. This is the problem. He is not a half forward and never will be. By the way, how did we go with him?? A perfect example of this clubs shitty development.

Decision making?? Let's not single him out. Have you watched the Saints this year?? I'll give more leeway to a poor decision if the player in question is trying to actually DO something. Some of our best passages of football over the last couple of weeks have involved Acres taking the game on. A solid stint on the ball would do him wonders. But obviously with our star studded midfield we have no room to develop guys in there :roll:

Oh, and instinct? Do you know what instinct is?? Its not a slow, calculated chip around the backline. He plays on instinct. Hence the brain farts. Harness it.
I'm only singling him out, because this thread is about him!

As for his instinct, I'm not denying he has it (everyone does!), I'm criticising what it makes him do.

He has no natural football brain.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

santazzi wrote: Mon 27 Aug 2018 2:23pm
mightysainters wrote: Mon 27 Aug 2018 9:02am Acres is 192cm big bodied mid who is anything but unco... he hits the scoreboard and is a genuine goal kicking mid... he and Steven are out best mids we have.. by a mile
If Acres is one of the two best mids we have, does anyone have some explanation why Richardson persist playing him out of positions as a number of posters have noted?
Same reason that St Kilda finished 16th on the ladder. Richo is a shitthouse coach

portosaint
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: Mon 27 Aug 2018 2:51pm
portosaint wrote: Mon 27 Aug 2018 1:12pm
rodgerfox wrote: Mon 27 Aug 2018 12:00pm

His decision making is appalling. His instinct is non-existent.

Therefore, I don't think he'll be a genuinely good on-baller.

His best chance is as a Tom Lynch (Adelaide version) type forward.
But he can't kick, which is a problem.
He is not a Tom Lynch type. This is the problem. He is not a half forward and never will be. By the way, how did we go with him?? A perfect example of this clubs shitty development.

Decision making?? Let's not single him out. Have you watched the Saints this year?? I'll give more leeway to a poor decision if the player in question is trying to actually DO something. Some of our best passages of football over the last couple of weeks have involved Acres taking the game on. A solid stint on the ball would do him wonders. But obviously with our star studded midfield we have no room to develop guys in there :roll:

Oh, and instinct? Do you know what instinct is?? Its not a slow, calculated chip around the backline. He plays on instinct. Hence the brain farts. Harness it.
I'm only singling him out, because this thread is about him!

As for his instinct, I'm not denying he has it (everyone does!), I'm criticising what it makes him do.

He has no natural football brain.
I guess we just agree to disagree.

I'm tired of watching guys rack up 30+ mundane disposals every week and getting their arses kissed. Obviously this is the football brain everyone wants to see.

Kind of easy to see why we are where we are after 5 years I guess.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I honestly think that Acres is played out of position 99% of the time.

He had a cracking preseason. Said it himself. Had a big overseas vacation, came back and got into tip top shape.

Then the soreness and groin issues start creeping in after about a month.

Go figure.

HOPEFULLY. The new line coaches can identify his actual best position and let him get some stability.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

They can't all play centre... really sick of this simple minded argument.

You have to play multiple positions in the modern game - and before you've made it, you have to perform outside of the middle which has been happening for 100 years.

chico2001
Club Player

Spinner wrote: Mon 27 Aug 2018 5:01pm

You have to play multiple positions in the modern game - and before you've made it, you have to perform outside of the middle which has been happening for 100 years.
Bang on. Got three in there now all getting a kick and plenty of them although Jack and Seb have been down some of the time, in the main they can find the pill. If Acres is any good he should be able to get a kick in the backline it is down there often enough, he just has not got the pace for a genuine midfielder and does not get enough of the ball, that's the key. I doubt they will throw him in there in 2019, same coach still there and the saints are bound to sign up another midfielder soon.

portosaint
Club Player

Spinner wrote: Mon 27 Aug 2018 5:01pm

Yeah. Our midfield is the ducks nuts. No need to try anyone else in there.

Simple minded could also be used to describe a coach and game plan that sees us finish in 16th with little, in fact, zero coaching imagination.

If the team was flying, fine. But we were s*** all year. Beyond s***.... An absolutely, fully flagged deplorable rabble. Some things may be worth a shot I would have thought.

Nuffys

Superboot
SS Life Member

Acres was a real up and comer. Now seems slow of thought and movement, and has a ridiculous number of kicks smothered

chico2001
Club Player

Superboot wrote: Mon 27 Aug 2018 9:09pm Acres was a real up and comer. Now seems slow of thought and movement, and has a ridiculous number of kicks smothered
You would think he would have a baulk or 2 up his sleeve, I think Mckenzie does that as well, just kicks straight into the man when cornered instead of evading the attempted tackle or smother.

Hack
Club Player

Acres needs to find another gear, a bit too one paced. Sinclair needs to harden up and start by sticking some tackles. Having said this I would like to see both players stay at the saints, lots of upside

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Acres at his best has looked elite, but his development has definitely stalled this season.

If the rumours are true of Sydney being into him, I hope we don't get entertained. I can see this club throwing him in with our future second round pick just to net Hanners. Then, while we may be lucky to get two good years of footy out of Hanners, Sydney will develop Acres into their next version of Kennedy and taunt us for the next 10 years.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote: Tue 28 Aug 2018 10:52am Then, while we may be lucky to get two good years of footy out of Hanners, Sydney will develop Acres into their next version of Kennedy and taunt us for the next 10 years.
What a horrendous thought. It couldn’t happen, could it?

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Acres absolutely has to be played in the midfield and it should be a mix of inside and outside IMO. I would have Steele, Steven and Ross as our starting 3 inside with Acres and Sinclair on the wings. Acres and Gresham to rotate through the middle as well. The fact that Richo kept his job after Acres was playing ruck while Marshall was playing forward in a game this year is incredible.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote: Tue 28 Aug 2018 12:57pm
SydneySainter wrote: Tue 28 Aug 2018 10:52am Then, while we may be lucky to get two good years of footy out of Hanners, Sydney will develop Acres into their next version of Kennedy and taunt us for the next 10 years.
What a horrendous thought. It couldn’t happen, could it?
Make no mistake - this is more likely to happen than not knowing us.

Apart from not being massively injury prone with a now glass jaw, how has the younger McCartin become a much more effective AFL footballer than his older brother? In his first season. You couldn't make this schitt up if you tried.

Go you red, black & white warriors