Team to play the bulldogs

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Team to play the bulldogs

Shaggy wrote: Fri 08 Mar 2019 11:48pm
guitars4 wrote: Fri 08 Mar 2019 11:27pm I just call it as I see it . I didn't bag him or even suggest he can't make it . All I said is I'm really surprised that a top 10 draft pick can't get a run in a mickey mouse comp . I actually would love to see him show what he has to offer but if the club doesn't give him the opportunity how can any one judge . I rest my case :?
Coffield was one of Sandy's best last week. An under ager learning. A special talent.
Another with sense.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Been a while. Just dropped in, read nonsense, so went for a bit of drive by reaction.

Toodle-oo.

BTW, anyone catch the noos that noo testing methods being employed can now nab blokes on the fun gear up to a week after ingestion?

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl ... 512q5.html

Funny business, technological progress.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
guitars4
Club Player

The OtherThommo wrote: Sat 09 Mar 2019 8:42pm
guitars4 wrote: Thu 07 Mar 2019 8:16pm
Spinner wrote: Thu 07 Mar 2019 6:44pm Coffield gets another run in the seconds...
Has he been injured or has his form been an issue ? He is a top 10 draft pick & he can't get a game in a preseason competition . I thought he had a pretty average year last year considering he was pick 8 in the draft but you would think he would get a run in the preseason comp.
Yeah, tallish skinny kids are always expected to bust games open in their first year.
Didn't expect him to bust games open just wanted him to show a bit more for a top 10 draft pick. I didn't see the speed or composure that he was recruited for. I think this is the ideal time for him to be playing , get a bit of confidence when there is nothing really on the line . It's only my opinion

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

guitars4 wrote: Sat 09 Mar 2019 10:51pm
Spinner wrote: Thu 07 Mar 2019 6:44pm Coffield gets another run in the seconds...
Has he been injured or has his form been an issue ? He is a top 10 draft pick & he can't get a game in a preseason competition . I thought he had a pretty average year last year considering he was pick 8 in the draft but you would think he would get a run in the preseason comp.
Yeah, tallish skinny kids are always expected to bust games open in their first year.
Didn't expect him to bust games open just wanted him to show a bit more for a top 10 draft pick. I didn't see the speed or composure that he was recruited for. I think this is the ideal time for him to be playing , get a bit of confidence when there is nothing really on the line . It's only my opinion
Pretty hard for teenage players playing in a team with no real confidence, and little in the way of leadership - both on and off the field. I think we are all expecting a bit much out of our younger players who came in during those last 8 rounds of 2018. Massive injury list to key personnel, the loss of players to retirement, both in the offseason and during the season, and the team only combining competitively once in the last 6 matches, and winning only once in the last 8 games against the eventual wooden spooner who themselves had a massive injury list.

Last season never recovered after the round 2 Good Friday match, and we probably were lucky to finish as high as we did, considering we won 2 matches by 2 points, and drew another.

The whole club operation was derailed - or at least lost focus - due to the move back to Moorabbin. I believe the club lost the plot last year and completely dropped the ball.

Last year was 2014, or 2000, again, and the team need to pull themselves off the canvas to content for finals again. Forget 2016 and 2017, most of those wins were down to the on-field leadership of Roo, Joey, Sam Fisher, etc, and the side has not developed adequate leadership to address the vacuum. Hopefully, Slater, Ratten and Lade can mentor the players and we can see some improvement this season, but I wouldn't worry too much of first and second-year players not performing all that well, they were really under the pump.

But some of our high drafts picks who have been around a while, and who have not performed and have coasted, on the other hand, really need to show something this year. They can't keep getting gifted games at the expense of the guys who are having a go, based upon their draft number anymore.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

guitars4 wrote: Sat 09 Mar 2019 10:51pm
Yep - and nothing wrong with it either (your opinion that is) He may be skinny etc, but how does that effect his decision making and ball use?? I too was disappointed with how he went and would have thought that after a big pre-season this year he would have been able to break into a (let's face it) just an average, at best, AFL side.

I note that the Rising Star last year was tallish and skinny and he was taken only a couple of picks before Coffield. They all develop at different rates, but I expect more from top 10 picks. That's the pressure of the game.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

A big performance coming today I sense. The new coaching department is looking very good early. Alan seems to have the club in a real positive mood.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Sun 10 Mar 2019 10:02am Alan seems to have the club in a real positive mood.
Long bow.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Very early to be writing off coffield.

Longer term I’d expect him in the midfield so I think the comments on recruiting another hbf are a tad harsh. Let’s see if he can develop into that Pendles like player many touted him to be.

#1 Ryder fan
DJ Higgins
Club Player

MC Gusto wrote: Sun 10 Mar 2019 10:50am Very early to be writing off coffield.

Longer term I’d expect him in the midfield so I think the comments on recruiting another hbf are a tad harsh. Let’s see if he can develop into that Pendles like player many touted him to be.
Disagree with you there. Not that Coffield won't become a gun, he has every chance of doing that and was ranked in top ten draftees by most pundits for a reason, the kid can play.

It's the midfield comment I disagree with. I don't see what others do in saying he will be a gun midfielder, he isn't overly quick and doesn't seem to be a ball winning bull.

From what I have seen from his games is that he is going to be a good or great HBF. He patrols the back line pits himself in good positions, reads the ball and play really well. In other words he loves to see the game in front of him.

And there is nothing wrong with that,, we just have more pressing positions that needed filling when he was drafted and still do

guitars4
Club Player

I definitely not writing him off. I'm sure he has plenty to offer. All I'm saying is he hasn't progressed as well as I think most would have thought & as I have continually stated IMO he should be playing today in the seniors not in the ressies . Apparently he was in the best last week so surely Geary could sit this one out & give Coff's a run.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Sun 10 Mar 2019 10:16am
Cairnsman wrote: Sun 10 Mar 2019 10:02am Alan seems to have the club in a real positive mood.
Long bow.
For the haters.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

He’s had one season!!

#1 Ryder fan
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Who wrote him off??

guitars4
Club Player

MC Gusto wrote: Sun 10 Mar 2019 12:41pm He’s had one season!!
Yeah so , do you think he has progressing at the level that you expected ? It's not a criticism but IMO it's a fact but if you don't agree that's fine that's your opinion.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

guitars4 wrote: Sun 10 Mar 2019 1:07pm
Yeah so , do you think he has progressing at the level that you expected ? It's not a criticism but IMO it's a fact but if you don't agree that's fine that's your opinion.
Opinions and facts are seldom the same thing. My opinion is that his ability to play hbf/third tall is stifled by a few things. He is nowhere near as fit as Savage, nowhere near as strong as Battle or anywhere near as good Roberton or Savage yet. To match him against Geary is nonsensical, the Geary running half experiment is over. We will see him go back to his defensive role and play back stop.

Coffield needs to play in the midfield. He needs to build a tank and strength. He is wirey, building muscle and reducing skinfolds. He runs a very decent 20m time and has improved his 3k.

When needed he can slot into a half back but my opinion is he is better developing a wing/outside mid game in the magoos. There is a bit of Lenny about his step, a bit of Harvey about his short kicks and he reads the ball as well as anyone in his draft.
He is a natural hb, the goal is develop him into a mid. Gresham, Billings, Clark are way ahead of him. 10 weeks in the ressies wont hurt him. His iob is to push his way in by the half way mark. Not impossible or necessarily the wrong way to go about it.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Coffield getting written off already...seriously. 🙄🙄🙄

A 19 year old that has played only 1 year of footy....he will still need another 2-3 pre seasons to become the talent he will be.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I must be reading the wrong thread... don't see any posts writing Coffield off.

It's always weird to me the implication that by suggesting something could be better is a horrible criticism

I thought Coffield looked particularly decent in his first 2 games... showed some of the qualities that got him drafted. Seemed to lose a bit of decisiveness as the season went on. I certainly think he's demonstrated he has some nice potential to develop and look forward to seeing him take a step forward this season.

Hope that's not too tough on the kid

guitars4
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sun 10 Mar 2019 2:08pm Coffield getting written off already...seriously. 🙄🙄🙄

A 19 year old that has played only 1 year of footy....he will still need another 2-3 pre seasons to become the talent he will be.
I think you have misunderstood what people are saying nobody has written him off, he's just taking longer to develop than most would expected . Storm in a tea cup really

guitars4
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 10 Mar 2019 1:29pm
guitars4 wrote: Sun 10 Mar 2019 1:07pm
Opinions and facts are seldom the same thing. My opinion is that his ability to play hbf/third tall is stifled by a few things. He is nowhere near as fit as Savage, nowhere near as strong as Battle or anywhere near as good Roberton or Savage yet. To match him against Geary is nonsensical, the Geary running half experiment is over. We will see him go back to his defensive role and play back stop.

Coffield needs to play in the midfield. He needs to build a tank and strength. He is wirey, building muscle and reducing skinfolds. He runs a very decent 20m time and has improved his 3k.

When needed he can slot into a half back but my opinion is he is better developing a wing/outside mid game in the magoos. There is a bit of Lenny about his step, a bit of Harvey about his short kicks and he reads the ball as well as anyone in his draft.
He is a natural hb, the goal is develop him into a mid. Gresham, Billings, Clark are way ahead of him. 10 weeks in the ressies wont hurt him. His iob is to push his way in by the half way mark. Not impossible or necessarily the wrong way to go about it.
Totally respect your point of view I just don't really agree but hey that's life :wink:

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

The OtherThommo wrote: Sat 09 Mar 2019 8:55pm
Dave McNamara wrote: Fri 08 Mar 2019 1:47pm The Coff'. Looks to me to have bulked up, so should now be able to do his stuff against AFL-sized bodies. That just leaves aerobic capacity - I'm not sure where he stands on that one. Anyone know?

So IMHO, maybe this year, if not, 2020 for sure... break out year. :D
You've always been a wise man, Dave.

But, will you be remembered as a wise man..................."

"What are they gonna say about him? What are they gonna say? That he was a kind man? That he was a wise man? That he had plans, man? That he had wisdom? bulls***, man! –Dennis Hopper in Apocalypse Now"
How will I be remembered Thommo...? 'Apocalypse Now' style...?

Possibly...
The madness...

At least that beats "Oh the horror." :D

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote: Sat 09 Mar 2019 8:51pmI reckon you're right on 1 count (i.e. Why we drafted him - the midfielder bit).

And, I reckon you're dead wrong on the other count (i.e. that doing so won't work out - it will. Think 'Release player', to begin with)).
I hope you're right. But Coffield strikes me as a classier version of Webster. Someone who is very good intercepting and then using his skills to launch an attack from defence. I don't think he is a midfielder whatsoever