Sam Rowe might be on the cards

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sam Rowe might be on the cards

So 2 new blokes are going to come in one week before the season starts without ever having played with the team or knowing the other backs and no prior knowledge of the game plan etc.

The club is in a major predicament but this should work out well.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

I read this thread and wonder if many understand why these players have been recruited?

Carlisle out for most of the year (KPD); Clavarino injured for a while (KPD) and now Roberton is out for the year (HB who can play tall).

Our squad is 3 big defenders down, what would happen if Brown & Joyce did their knees in the first few weeks?

We had to bring in those players and I doubt our choices were widespread. Or should we have done nothing and just gambled on no further injuries to defenders? Now that would be incompetent.

To the top
SS Life Member

Did James Gallagher and Sam Rowe play together at Norwood in the SANFL?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... ac03b09871

"Sam Rowe was sitting in an office compiling a budget for the next financial year when the phone rang.

It was Tuesday and St Kilda list manager James Gallagher was on the line.

“He asked me if I was fit, which I was quite curious as to why he was asking,” Rowe told the Herald Sun.

Three days later, Rowe, 30, was at Moorabbin completing a medical and signing a contract to play at the Saints — the latest whirlwind chapter in a career of extraordinary comebacks.

Here is a man who has been delisted twice — by Sydney and Carlton — and now come back twice, while beating cancer in between.
Sam Rowe has guarded some of the biggest names in the game across his 99-match career. Pic: Getty Images

“I don’t know what it is with me, I seem to hang on. I wasn’t trying to hang on really,” he said.

“I was more than accepting of my career ending, but it’s a funny industry, footy. It gives opportunity and it’s what you do with that opportunity.

“This has presented itself and it’s something I want to grab a hold of.”

New supplementary selection period rules meant Dylan Roberton’s latest heart scare could find a silver lining in Rowe.

He diverted his emails, phone calls and called his clients at insurance builder, Johns Lyng Group, and got his head around adding to his 99-game tally five months after being cut by the Blues.

“Once I got the call the competitiveness in me just got sparked right up again,” Rowe said.

“I knew it was something I wanted to do because I got that feeling within me to have a crack again.

“I’m excited. I certainly wasn’t planning it or thinking about it, but now that I’ve been given this opportunity I’m looking forward to having some sort of impact at the Saints this year.”

Rowe had signed to play in the Eastern Football League with Doncaster East and described himself as being in “OK shape”.
Sam Rowe will now be wearing red, white and black. Pic: Michael Klein

“I’d want to give myself a couple of weeks of decent training and training with intensity to be sure I’m ready, but I’m confident in my body,” he said.

“The expectations are very minimal and I’m certainly not coming in to change the world. They’ve had some unfortunate injuries, which is no good, but I’m there to try and fill some holes where I can.

“I’ll give my best effort to try and help the team.”

St Kilda’s defensive stocks have been shredded, with Roberton’s year-long absence coming after news Jake Carlisle would be sidelined until the second half the season due to back surgery.

Young defender Oscar Clavarino is out for another six weeks with an ankle problem and Nathan Brown is suspended for Round 1.

Rowe’s arrival comes a day after the Saints plucked former Collingwood defender Jonathon Marsh from the Richmond VFL squad.
Sam Row: “I seem to hang on. I wasn’t trying to hang on really.”

2008: Signs for SANFL club Norwood

2011: Taken by Carlton with pick 44 in the national draft

2012: Diagnosed with testicular cancer and undergoes chemotherapy

2017: Suffers an torn ACL and has a full reconstruction

End of 2018: Delisted by Carlton and signs for Doncaster East in the Eastern Football League

March, 2019: Signed by St Kilda under new pre-season supplemental selection period rules.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 1:40pm
Either go for a Luke Hodge/Sam Mitchell for leadership (that's Brendon Goddard or Michael Barlow right now), or if we are getting a KPP defender, nail one with prospects of being a 5-year player.
I don't follow.

In Marsh yes they have gone for someone who could become a 5 or more year player.

In Rowe they have gone for someone who is suitable to play immediately at a key back. Given our injuries we need this.

None of Luke Hodge/Sam Mitchell/ Brendon Goddard /Michael Barlow would assist in our need for a key back and so little point boosting the leadership as Sandi.

Hanna was supposedly recruited to help with more onfield leadership, however Marsh and Rowe have been picked up to address a particular need and this was our current lack of key defenders.

Sure it would great to get a key defender who is also a great leader. But that beast is not available.

PS: Remember too that with Paddy now out that Battle may well be moved forward again. If so that is Carlisle, Robbo Clav and Battle to cover.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 17 Mar 2019 10:01am, edited 2 times in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

I don’t get it.

We are not going to play finals let alone contend this year.
Why not go with guys on the list and get some Game into them.

I get Marsh, but Rowe?

1 year at best from Rowe, in a bottom 4 team is potentially just taking Game time away from a developing player.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 16 Mar 2019 7:26pm I don’t get it.

I get Marsh, but Rowe?

1 year at best from Rowe, in a bottom 4 team is potentially just taking Game time away from a developing player.
Players can't develop if a massacre is happening. If say Brown goes down, Rowe is back up.

He may well not play a senior game. But if he needs to it may well mean that players like Austin can play more on the flank/third tall back where they are more likely to thrive.

Joyce has improved, but if he has to play as the No1 Key Defender role that improvement may well be stunted.

Personally I doubt that Rowe has been picked up with the goal of him being our main defender each week. I think he has been more to provide back up and depth and if so I am ok with that. If he out performs then even better.

But I doubt that the plan is to play both Rowe and Brown week in, week out.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Sat 16 Mar 2019 7:39pm

I get Marsh, but Rowe?

Players can't develop if a massacre is happening. If say Brown goes down, Rowe is back up.

He may well not play a senior game. But if he needs to it may well mean that players like Austin can play more on the flank/third tall back where they are more likely to thrive.

Joyce has improved, but if he has to play as the No1 Key Defender role that improvement may well be stunted.

Personally I doubt that Rowe has been picked up with the goal of him being our main defender each week. I think he has been more to provide back up and depth and if so I am ok with that. If he out performs then even better.

But I doubt that the plan is to play both Rowe and Brown week in, week out.
I agree. Rowe also adds plenty to match simulations.

Marshall and Pierce need to ruck and more likely go foward. A 198cm, 100kg seasoned defender will be handy for their development. Brown is 196cm and 99. The rest of the TDKPP's are relative light weights around the 90kg mark.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Also Rowe ads very valuable IP from Carlton.

You never know, they may finish higher than us this year

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Sat 16 Mar 2019 5:48pm In Rowe they have gone for someone who is suitable to play immediately at a key back. Given our injuries we need this.
I'm less concerned with how we fare this year than how we fare over the next few years.

There were better options. Much better options. We've picked this guy, who, by his own admission, wasn't even trying to stay in the AFL system.

It might have cost us a game, maybe two, if we went with a longer-term prospect.

Tyler Keital, probably the unluckiest 23 yo in the country - 196 cm, 94 kg - who can play FB or FF and has made the WA Team of the Season three times would surely have been a better punt.

I've mentioned a few names in different posts now, which suggests to me that we panicked in making a call, rather than evaluating all the options in a calm, balanced and thoughtful manner that will ultimately help the football club over a longer period.

Anyway, the club has entrusted James Gallagher and Alan Richardson to make these calls. We can review them in the coming years to see who was right.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

evertonfc wrote: Sun 17 Mar 2019 12:37pm
I'm less concerned with how we fare this year than how we fare over the next few years.

There were better options. Much better options. We've picked this guy, who, by his own admission, wasn't even trying to stay in the AFL system.

It might have cost us a game, maybe two, if we went with a longer-term prospect.

Tyler Keital, probably the unluckiest 23 yo in the country - 196 cm, 94 kg - who can play FB or FF and has made the WA Team of the Season three times would surely have been a better punt.

I've mentioned a few names in different posts now, which suggests to me that we panicked in making a call, rather than evaluating all the options in a calm, balanced and thoughtful manner that will ultimately help the football club over a longer period.

Anyway, the club has entrusted James Gallagher and Alan Richardson to make these calls. We can review them in the coming years to see who was right.
I've enjoyed reading your perspicaious analysis and intelligent assessment of the situation.
If only the actual employees of the football club had as much perspicacity as yourself on these matters.

ST KILDA concedes it didn't know the full extent of prized recruit Dan Hannebery's struggles with his body when it traded for him.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Sat 16 Mar 2019 5:48pm In Rowe they have gone for someone who is suitable to play immediately at a key back. Given our injuries we need this.

As for supplementary list addictions - give how last minute it was and how it’s a new thing I don’t think we can be overly judgy with whom we pick up.

Rowe is not ideal I agree - but without time it’s hard to make a “perfect fit” addition.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: Sun 17 Mar 2019 1:22pm

As for supplementary list addictions - give how last minute it was and how it’s a new thing I don’t think we can be overly judgy with whom we pick up.

Rowe is not ideal I agree - but without time it’s hard to make a “perfect fit” addition.
My Carlton rellies and my Blues mate from the gym tell me that Rowe is alright and better than what key backmen we have left.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Serious question, why surely?

At only 94kg Keital would seem to offer what we already had on the list in Joyce, Austin, Wilkie, arguably even Coffield and just recently Marsh.

Why would, or should, we add yet another lightly framed tall back? Morseo when we have Clavarino back in about 6 weeks. How many tall skinny backs do you want or need?

Rowe is a known quantity., and physically is a bigger beast in height, mass and muscle. He provides a different option. He also has experience to play at a known level now.

This new way of adding players is not meant to be about adding guns, but is more about addressing deficiencies in your list. By its very nature you are picking over the left overs after the left overs.

So lets assess by what it is meant to be and not wail over it being missed opportunities for the future. These picks are all about the now. Of the two we have picked up, both when match fit can play seniors now. Marsh also is young enough to potentially play may years if good enough. Rowe is older in the tooth, but is also capable of filling in immediately.

PS: WAFL team of the year at Full Back, is not best FB in WA.

To the top
SS Life Member

There appears a presumption that players, Concracted as they are to State League sides and having an established life in those States, including empoyment other than playing football as an occupation, would want to move to Melbourne at such short notice to play for St Kilda or Sandringham

I am also aware that one name mentioned is injured and has not as yet appeared in a Practice Match

So availability should not be presumed

Both players added are resident in Melbourne, one to play VFL with Richmond and the other with East Doncaster in the EDFL - so immediately available given their agreement

To the top
SS Life Member

Then you have to feel for the sides these players are moving on from - they have done their recruiting to have players snatched on the cusp of the season

To me this is wrong

spert
Saintsational Legend

I don't care who plays- as long as St Kilda wins

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Aussie Jonestown wrote: Sun 17 Mar 2019 12:58pm

I've enjoyed reading your perspicaious analysis and intelligent assessment of the situation.
If only the actual employees of the football club had as much perspicacity as yourself on these matters.
Plus one.

The highlighted bit says it all for me. Maybe salvage one, even two games. In a year we aren't looking at finals, let alone a flag. Talk about short term measures. Is The Definite Article/those who are embarrassed by that contract extension that worried about his job??? :shock:

PS: Perspicacious. Thanks for giving me some insight into a new word. :)

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Isn't this typical of society today? The (possible) good news story (Marsh) has 12 replies while the (possible) bad news story (Rowe) has 67 replies.
(also posted on the other thread)

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

SaintPav wrote: Sat 16 Mar 2019 12:49pm So 2 new blokes are going to come in one week before the season starts without ever having played with the team or knowing the other backs and no prior knowledge of the game plan etc.

The club is in a major predicament but this should work out well.
The interview quotes by Rowe seem a little 'theatrical' but not in a good way.
Sitting in his office doing budgets, our List Manager James Gallagher, rings him and one of the first questions:
'Are you fit'?

That reminds me of a few years ago, my indoor cricket team had 2 guys unavailable for the next game, and the team captain did a phone-around to see who he could pick up. (In the days before internet, emails and mobile phones)

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Harves Man
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Sun 17 Mar 2019 5:14pm
Serious question, why surely?

At only 94kg Keital would seem to offer what we already had on the list in Joyce, Austin, Wilkie, arguably even Coffield and just recently Marsh.

Why would, or should, we add yet another lightly framed tall back? Morseo when we have Clavarino back in about 6 weeks. How many tall skinny backs do you want or need?

Rowe is a known quantity., and physically is a bigger beast in height, mass and muscle. He provides a different option. He also has experience to play at a known level now.

This new way of adding players is not meant to be about adding guns, but is more about addressing deficiencies in your list. By its very nature you are picking over the left overs after the left overs.

So lets assess by what it is meant to be and not wail over it being missed opportunities for the future. These picks are all about the now. Of the two we have picked up, both when match fit can play seniors now. Marsh also is young enough to potentially play may years if good enough. Rowe is older in the tooth, but is also capable of filling in immediately.

PS: WAFL team of the year at Full Back, is not best FB in WA.
Brilliant - you've hit the nail right on the head here.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

I don't personally see what the big deal is here. We had a hole and filled it on a short term basis. I assume both are one year contracts.
Worse case scenario is that they are no good and play for sandy for most the year.
Best case scenario is they have amazing seasons. Realistic scenario is they are good not great. Rowe is a known quantity but no pre season and won't know our defender structure but has 99 games under his belt so he can play. Expecting him to be ok at best. Marsh is unknown with no pre season but showed promise at pies. Doesn't know our defence either and has less experience but more upside. Mid season would tell us more especially after we cop some hidings. It will show whether he is mentally strong this time.
Bottom line is we are bottom four, probably two this year so we have little to lose except billings moving on.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Rowe mentioned the expectations were low. I read this to mean.

'You're gonna play at Sandy, we've put a lot of work into Joyce and we are backing him, we also think Battle will be a handy rebounder and we know Brown is in cracking condition. Your job will be to build a good run of form working with Gilbert and help set some high standard expectations at TBO. Get yourself really fit and be ready to step up if we need you.'

Round 1 and 2 aren't going to be a huge challenge in defense. Wright isnt right and there is very little else to worry about.

The Bombers forward line is also depleted for talls. That gives both Rowe and Marsh a chance to prepare themselves. They both have a fairly good idea of what it takes.

stonecold
SS Life Member

I get Marsh, but Rowe?

You don't develop players at AFL level when they are not ready, you develop them at Sandy!!!!!

Young developing players need a mixture of both AFL and VFL games, this is how they develop best, simple really!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Mon 18 Mar 2019 4:31pm

I get Marsh, but Rowe?

You don't develop players at AFL level when they are not ready, you develop them at Sandy!!!!!

Young developing players need a mixture of both AFL and VFL games, this is how they develop best, simple really!!!!!
So you agree with me.

If Rowe plays a younger defender like Austin plays VFL.
If Rowe doesn't play Austin may play a mix of AFL & VFL.

As you write above they need a mix of both grades to develop so lets forget Rowe and rotate our young defenders through the VFL & AFL.

Agreement 8-)

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.