Match Thread. Saints V Hawks Rd 4 2019

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Kilda
Club Player

Re: Match Thread. Saints V Hawks Rd 4 2019

St Kilda certainly has visible cracks (as one threader put it) and that’s what makes their efforts so far all the more incredible.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 6:07pm Hard to say, but I actually hope we lose. Anything that will move the club towards getting rid of Richardson is for longer term good. We will never go anywhere while this bloke is coach. The much vaunted new coaches have made sofa difference. Game plan is still basically the same as last year. Hard to watch.
If you think the game plan hasn’t changed, you must not be watching the same team that I am!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Every team bombs it long we aren't on our lonesome there

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 8:20pm
wasoncestkil58 wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 8:18pm Are The_Dud and Scollop twins? Two of the most negative posters ever. Amazing we are 3 and 1.
Lol! 👌🤭
I bet if they cracked a tinny to celebrate our win they'd be mighty peeved if the beverage had bubbles and a head.

Saint supporter since '62
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 6:04pm Lost at selection

:oops: :oops: :oops: Almost lost at selection 🤣🤣🤣

Marshall gave us something in the forward line in the last. Pity he can’t be in two places at once.

But all in all a wonderful win for the club. Very relieved to be proven wrong on this one.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 7:05pm Acres is a gun and should be played in the guts all game.

We MUST play a second ruckman and have Marshall rest forward.

Well done to the 22 on the field, that win is all yours.
I agree with you, but the fact that we won will probably mean more of the same in the short term.

minneapolis
Club Player

Who was the Gentleman in the Red ,White and Black Suit? Was that the Jiggster?

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

My youngest son lost a tooth in all the excitement.
:D

ahhhhhhh

footy at its finest

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

I was interstate and watched on Fox Footy, different perspective than live.

Kudos to Sinclair, Paton, Billings, Lonie & Acres who have all had question marks from the football media and supporters if not internal.

Never seen Sinclair put his head over the ball and tackle so fiercely, was really good at the contest.

Billings showed some real ticker to go with his skills. Thank go we retained him.

I’ve been on the Lonie bandwagon for along time, if he could finish in front of goals he’d be a match winner. Has the heart of a lion and his tackles are sticking.

Wilke plays like a 200 game veteran, no fuss no frills just a good honest footballer, great rookie selection, even if he is a one season wonder.

Parker was average but still has the aggression and speed to cause defenders concern if he’s in the area. Great tackler and great repeat efforts.

Marshall - how did he get left out in round 1 😳

On the down side Brown looked like he struggled in a few contests, one with Roughead in the square, a couple of marking contests where he was flat footed and one with the Irish guy where on TV it looked as though he could have made the contest. Again TV perspective.

Kent, he must be doing some team things you can’t see on TV because I don’t get it. Did a couple of nice things but doesn’t seem to have much physical presence, rarely tackles and doesn’t get much of the ball. Very average to date but may be playing a role?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

st.byron wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 7:51pm
Scollop wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 7:43pm
saynta wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 7:13pm
st.byron wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 6:25pm
shrodes wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 6:24pm We're up and about. If we can keep this intensity up for the last quarter we will run over the top of them
Hope we dont
:roll:
It hurts us in the long run having a coach like Richo. We are not going to get over the line against better teams (the Hawks have more injuries to key playmakers than we do). Richo's gameplan is not really a game plan, it's a non-negotiable; pressure!! Our forward entries today were on par with the usual gameplan...it sucks!!

My heart was saying win it, but my head is now thinking I agree with St B. Hawthorn were unlucky to lose and we fell over the line against a team ravaged by injuries. Not only with Burgoyne, Shiel, O'meara etc out, but also the guys like Stratton and Frawley going down during the game.

Marshall was awesome but he needs help. In a way it could have been curtains for us if the Hawks lined him up and if he wasn't ther for the last quarter. I think the rest of the talls on both sides had poor games.

Congratulations to the players. They were definitely hungrier than the Hawks and we had an edge of hardness today. Our tackling, our spoils and general loose ball contests were fantastic.
Well said. Just got over the line against a mob with players down on the bench. Game plan looks pretty much the same as last year, which just highlights Richardson's lack of variety and imagination. Still bombing it into forward 50, still got Acres in the ruck....wtf? Agree Billings, Acres, Marshall all improving, Lonie going to a new level and Wilkie is a good get. And last year we wouldn't have come back from 26 points down to win. But......whilst Richo is coach we aint contending. So it's a pyrrhic victory.
Obviously you have no clue about football or game plans, we are playing a completely different style of game, last year we were 1st for playing on from a mark this year we are 18th, last year we were 18th for playing through the corridor this year we are 1st. Last year we had more handballs than klicks in almost every game we played, this year we have not done it once. We have completely simplified our game style, we take far less risks and therefore don't turn it over as much. We are also far better organised in defence and teams just don't score as heavily on us when they have the run on

spert
Saintsational Legend

Parker is playing with great desperation, but he and Kent need to start getting on the scoreboard. Bruce and Membrey have been a bit off over the last couple of games, and at least Lonie and Long got amongst the scorers, but we need more from the forwards.

Crossy66
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 10:22am I was interstate and watched on Fox Footy, different perspective than live.

Kudos to Sinclair, Paton, Billings, Lonie & Acres who have all had question marks from the football media and supporters if not internal.

Never seen Sinclair put his head over the ball and tackle so fiercely, was really good at the contest.

Billings showed some real ticker to go with his skills. Thank go we retained him.

I’ve been on the Lonie bandwagon for along time, if he could finish in front of goals he’d be a match winner. Has the heart of a lion and his tackles are sticking.

Wilke plays like a 200 game veteran, no fuss no frills just a good honest footballer, great rookie selection, even if he is a one season wonder.

Parker was average but still has the aggression and speed to cause defenders concern if he’s in the area. Great tackler and great repeat efforts.

Marshall - how did he get left out in round 1 😳

On the down side Brown looked like he struggled in a few contests, one with Roughead in the square, a couple of marking contests where he was flat footed and one with the Irish guy where on TV it looked as though he could have made the contest. Again TV perspective.

Kent, he must be doing some team things you can’t see on TV because I don’t get it. Did a couple of nice things but doesn’t seem to have much physical presence, rarely tackles and doesn’t get much of the ball. Very average to date but may be playing a role?
I havent watched the replay yet, but you are spot on, you simply cant see whats happening unless you are watching at the ground. I wonder if those that think our game plan hasnt changed actually watch live.. Its hard to knock our backline, the defensive unit is greater than the sum of its parts. In the first 3 qtrs that ball kept coming back and they kept repelling it. Look at them individually - Wilkie 4 games, Patton 4 games, Battle 4 games as a defender total 11. They punched above their weight yesterday. Against the likes of Gunston, Bruest, Poppy, Wingard, roughead.
Parker is much better live, you get to see the off the ball pressure and just how hard he hits. Kent also does some good things but not enough. I think next week against his old side he should be on notice.

Crossy66
Club Player

BringBackMadDog wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 10:44am
shrodes wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 6:24pm We're up and about. If we can keep this intensity up for the last quarter we will run over the top of them
Hope we dont
It hurts us in the long run having a coach like Richo. We are not going to get over the line against better teams (the Hawks have more injuries to key playmakers than we do). Richo's gameplan is not really a game plan, it's a non-negotiable; pressure!! Our forward entries today were on par with the usual gameplan...it sucks!!

My heart was saying win it, but my head is now thinking I agree with St B. Hawthorn were unlucky to lose and we fell over the line against a team ravaged by injuries. Not only with Burgoyne, Shiel, O'meara etc out, but also the guys like Stratton and Frawley going down during the game.

Marshall was awesome but he needs help. In a way it could have been curtains for us if the Hawks lined him up and if he wasn't ther for the last quarter. I think the rest of the talls on both sides had poor games.

Congratulations to the players. They were definitely hungrier than the Hawks and we had an edge of hardness today. Our tackling, our spoils and general loose ball contests were fantastic.
Well said. Just got over the line against a mob with players down on the bench. Game plan looks pretty much the same as last year, which just highlights Richardson's lack of variety and imagination. Still bombing it into forward 50, still got Acres in the ruck....wtf? Agree Billings, Acres, Marshall all improving, Lonie going to a new level and Wilkie is a good get. And last year we wouldn't have come back from 26 points down to win. But......whilst Richo is coach we aint contending. So it's a pyrrhic victory.
Obviously you have no clue about football or game plans, we are playing a completely different style of game, last year we were 1st for playing on from a mark this year we are 18th, last year we were 18th for playing through the corridor this year we are 1st. Last year we had more handballs than klicks in almost every game we played, this year we have not done it once. We have completely simplified our game style, we take far less risks and therefore don't turn it over as much. We are also far better organised in defence and teams just don't score as heavily on us when they have the run on
100% correct. But this is a forum, so there is no prerequisite to be knowledgeable to post.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 10:44am
Hope we dont

When Hawthorn went to a 26 point lead early in the 3rd it looked like a blow out was coming, and it would have last season, with out a doubt they would have dropped their heads and lost by 60 points.

They are playing differently.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 11:18pm
BringBackMadDog wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 11:06pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 7:12pm
derby Street wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 7:10pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 6:36pm If we run over the top of an injury ravaged Hawthorn, it will be INSPITE of Cho, and all down to the desperation of the 22 players.
You really are a miserable sad sack. If they lose its Richo's fault, if they win its only due to the players.
Richo is no good, imagine what we could do with a gun head coach.

Feel free to let me know what aspects of his gameplan you like.
you just have a complete chip on your shoulder, our defensive structure is almost the best in the competition we are so organised and teams are finding it very difficult to score against us. We are playing a much better brand of footy and, more importantly, Richo has got everyone playing as one cohesive unit. They know their roles and they look after each other. That is all coach
Defensive structure? You mean clogging up their D50 with 14 players making it a scrum? Yeah that’s effective, until we try to get it out and our long bombs to no one continue to come right back in.

And I’m glad after 5 seasons he’s finally got them ‘playing as a team’! Any decent coach should have them doing that from day one.

There are better options out there, Richo’s never going to take us to the top.
Every f****** team in the league flood back into D50 when the ball goes in there. Hawthorn had 17 blokes in there. Thats not what I'm saying when I talk about defensive structure, last year our opponents streamed out of their D50 and we were slaughtered on the rebound, this year we have almost completely eliminated this. Even team like Essendon who kill teams on quick rebound sere forced to stop and chip sideways.
Get the blinkers off and give some credit instead of moaning non-stop

saynta
Saintsational Legend

minneapolis wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 5:57am Who was the Gentleman in the Red ,White and Black Suit? Was that the Jiggster?
No. We have done this before.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 10:47am

I havent watched the replay yet, but you are spot on, you simply cant see whats happening unless you are watching at the ground. I wonder if those that think our game plan hasnt changed actually watch live.. Its hard to knock our backline, the defensive unit is greater than the sum of its parts. In the first 3 qtrs that ball kept coming back and they kept repelling it. Look at them individually - Wilkie 4 games, Patton 4 games, Battle 4 games as a defender total 11. They punched above their weight yesterday. Against the likes of Gunston, Bruest, Poppy, Wingard, roughead.
Parker is much better live, you get to see the off the ball pressure and just how hard he hits. Kent also does some good things but not enough. I think next week against his old side he should be on notice.
Excellent post mate. Great pick up on the inexperienced backline.

stkfc1
Club Player

saynta wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 12:26pm
Crossy66 wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 10:47am

Excellent post mate. Great pick up on the inexperienced backline.
Spot on. As inexperienced as we are, our backline has been very good this year. Wilkie being a big reason for it but also but Sav has been excellent. Geary is always stingy and Webster is class. Battle has been solid but for mine Joyce comes in, Battle goes forward and Kent out.
Would be much better balanced then. If Joyce does come in, Wilikie could also pinch hit in the ruck.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

nah not yet

kent ‘needs’ to play
...and hopefully finally feels like he belongs
after a big game against his old crew

imo

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
ListManager
Club Player

st.byron wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 7:38pm
ListManager wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 7:20pm
st.byron wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 6:07pm Hard to say, but I actually hope we lose. Anything that will move the club towards getting rid of Richardson is for longer term good. We will never go anywhere while this bloke is coach. The much vaunted new coaches have made sofa difference. Game plan is still basically the same as last year. Hard to watch.
Nice one Mr Mod st.byron!!!
Long time not a mod mate.
Short term pleasure of winning is nice. Long term pain of going nowhere is not. IMO we have no chance of being a contender whilst Richardson remains. So anything that hastens his exit works for me. Just listening to him makes me wince.
Your reply above is really funny. If we keep winning it will be even funnier. It just goes to show that football is a funny game. The more you think you know the more you actually don't know. I'm a classic example. I thought this year we would be lucky to win a mximum of 4 games and I even thought that next year we would even be worse and would be odds on for another spoon. :D

NeXus Nick is back but where is Joffaboy????
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

ListManager wrote: Thu 25 Apr 2019 2:28pm
I even thought that next year we would even be worse and would be odds on for another spoon.
Does our good start this year mean you'll be backing us for the flag in 2020? Can you tell me who we'll be playing in round 1 next year and how many wins will we have by round 12?

Who do you reckon will be leading the ALP? I reckon ScoMo will still be Prime Minister next year...what do you think?