Richo.......

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Richo.......

Unfortunately for him, the injuries have come at the wrong time and it is too late to give him any more time to prove he can be a succesful head coach. It's not enough to have the title of head coach. You NEED to have success in the role.

Let's just go back a bit and see where this hatred of losing games (not hatred of the coach) started. It started with poor form at the back end of 2017.

It continued with some putrid results in JLT in 2018.

That points to a shithouse preseason and poor preparation of our players both mentally and physically to start what was Richo's 5th year as a head coach. This led to a disastrous year in which the coach lamented the lack of leadership, the lack of skills and the lack of confidence of his players.

It's not Hickey's fault and Weller's fault that we were losing games last year. It's not Billy Longer's fault. It's not Paddy McCartin fault. It wasn't Elshaugh's fault in 2018 after about round 12 when we still had just 1 win. The head coach is ALWAYS the guy who MUST be accountable for results

Compare Richo's excuses in 2018 with how a bloke like Stewy Dew started his first year as a senior coach. Dew was uncompromising and he is basically rebuilding the Suns from scratch. They nearly beat us last year and have been super competitive again nearly beat us down here on our own turf. Point being that Dew doesn't blame his players everytime they lose a match.

Richo needs to OWN the gameplan and lacklustre performances of 2018. OWN the poor development of our high draft picks and OWN the current slide down the ladder.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Sad it is- when Summers and the board sacked Watters, who then would have thought that they were so desperate to get a coach who would take us absolutely nowhere in the next 5 years, and extend his contract as a reward!!! Go figure

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Should’ve taken Williams after all.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Tue 14 May 2019 2:56pm
takeaway wrote: Tue 14 May 2019 10:10am
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Tue 14 May 2019 9:13am Alan, Alan, Alan, oh where are you Alan. 🎤🎷🎸🎹

Might start a new song.

Next coach Steve? (Hocking?)
That little fella would fit in well on this forum. The Alan haters will start seeing him in their dreams! 🐿
Ted - with all due respect. I am not an Alan "hater". I've met him a number of times and I actually take the view that he's an entirely decent human being.

However, whilst I'm all for being positive first and negative a distant second - I'm a logical chap, I do reserve the right to call-out what I think is massively poor performance. His record is undeniable and as much as it could be deemed convenient to think we're a young team who's been re-building - at some point during Alan's tenure, he's had the following (very) experienced players as part of his teams: -

Riewoldt
Hayes
Fisher
Gilbert
Montagna
Dal Santo

I'm sure you'll agree that's not a bad crew to have built St Kilda 2.0 around. And yet, here we are. Whilst I don't rate Alan's coaching prowess (which I might add, neither did his players during their 2018 post-season review) - it's the development that kills me. You might recall at the time that Alan's long-suit when appointed was that of development coach.

I think we've been unlucky to have high picks in poor drafts (i.e. neither Petracca nor McCartin have lit it up) and having 7 & 8 in a draft where the first 5 picks were jets and the next 15 a lottery was just plain stiff.

But it's our development. Or distinct lack of it. Coupled with a fractious relationship with Sandy that has killed us. So who's in charge of development during Alan's tenure? The Coach? Jamie Cox / now S Lethlean? If I was coach - I'd want a huge say in it. No point drafting any talent - let alone high end talent - if you're then going to leave it rot at Sandy/Casey. (to be fair - Ross Lyon's treatment of Armitage, Steven, Cripps and Lynch was borderline criminally negligent). Surely you'd just smash games into Coffield, Clark, Patton, Acres, Phillips etc? But no .....

I just put it down to 1 simple thing. We all hear the way Alan speaks at press conferences, post-match, AFL360, member's videos.

So ask yourself this - would any of that cliche-ridden monotone dribble inspire you to even get out of bed to go to work each day; let alone run through a brick wall to create and share in glory?

Go you red, black & white warriors
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

for me - its got to the stage where every time the camera flashes up to our coaches box - he looks like a guy treading water just barely keeping his head up
His record and contract extension gets you angry - but you sort of feel sorry for him
Last sauturday against weagles I was intrigued to see ( and Im sure its not the first time ) with the game going on Lethlean over his shoulder talking to RIcho
Exactly what is role at the club - drafting, game day coach, financial whizz, he seems to do it all

Seeya
The Craw
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 14 May 2019 4:54pm
Ted - with all due respect. I am not an Alan "hater". I've met him a number of times and I actually take the view that he's an entirely decent human being.

However, whilst I'm all for being positive first and negative a distant second - I'm a logical chap, I do reserve the right to call-out what I think is massively poor performance. His record is undeniable and as much as it could be deemed convenient to think we're a young team who's been re-building - at some point during Alan's tenure, he's had the following (very) experienced players as part of his teams: -

Riewoldt
Hayes
Fisher
Gilbert
Montagna
Dal Santo

I'm sure you'll agree that's not a bad crew to have built St Kilda 2.0 around. And yet, here we are. Whilst I don't rate Alan's coaching prowess (which I might add, neither did his players during their 2018 post-season review) - it's the development that kills me. You might recall at the time that Alan's long-suit when appointed was that of development coach.

I think we've been unlucky to have high picks in poor drafts (i.e. neither Petracca nor McCartin have lit it up) and having 7 & 8 in a draft where the first 5 picks were jets and the next 15 a lottery was just plain stiff.

But it's our development. Or distinct lack of it. Coupled with a fractious relationship with Sandy that has killed us. So who's in charge of development during Alan's tenure? The Coach? Jamie Cox / now S Lethlean? If I was coach - I'd want a huge say in it. No point drafting any talent - let alone high end talent - if you're then going to leave it rot at Sandy/Casey. (to be fair - Ross Lyon's treatment of Armitage, Steven, Cripps and Lynch was borderline criminally negligent). Surely you'd just smash games into Coffield, Clark, Patton, Acres, Phillips etc? But no .....

I just put it down to 1 simple thing. We all hear the way Alan speaks at press conferences, post-match, AFL360, member's videos.

So ask yourself this - would any of that cliche-ridden monotone dribble inspire you to even get out of bed to go to work each day; let alone run through a brick wall to create and share in glory?
To be fair Richo coached 2 premierships in the EFL (East Burwood) and Finals in the VFL (Coburg) before getting into the AFL system.

Whilst I see 2018 as one of the worst seasons of football dished out by a St Kilda football team and I was there in the late 70's and 80's, I do not lay the blame squarely at Him.

The club lost its way, it focused on being a good community citizen pandering to minority causes.

It stopped being a football club and as a result did not provide the structure required to command an expectation of competitive results on the field.

There were also other mitigating factors within the coaching panel the undermined the performance of the team as whole, which from what I have seen, has now been dealt with.

I expect an improvement, 4 and 4 is a start, i expect more wins.

For me it is a wait and see at the moment, the next 4 games will be a good indication of whether Richo is the right person to coach in the short term or not.

Not Craw, CRAW!
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

sunsaint wrote: Tue 14 May 2019 5:13pm for me - its got to the stage where every time the camera flashes up to our coaches box - he looks like a guy treading water just barely keeping his head up
His record and contract extension gets you angry - but you sort of feel sorry for him
Last sauturday against weagles I was intrigued to see ( and Im sure its not the first time ) with the game going on Lethlean over his shoulder talking to RIcho
Exactly what is role at the club - drafting, game day coach, financial whizz, he seems to do it all
I watched Richo's post-game presser too this week (just to beat myself up some more for the fun of it) and it was very noticeable that Lethlean was very front and very squarely positioned in the press conference watching it unfold. With what can only be described as a stern look on his face.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Tue 14 May 2019 2:56pm
takeaway wrote: Tue 14 May 2019 10:10am
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Tue 14 May 2019 9:13am Alan, Alan, Alan, oh where are you Alan. 🎤🎷🎸🎹

Might start a new song.

Next coach Steve? (Hocking?)
That little fella would fit in well on this forum. The Alan haters will start seeing him in their dreams! 🐿

Riewoldt
Hayes
Fisher
Gilbert
Montagna
Dal Santo

Brilliant post SaintMatt! It was intersting that Lethlean was back sitting in the coaches box again last weekend, I wonder if that is the norm or a review has began again? Richo always looks lost and bewildered when the TV flashes across to him and that shows in his coaching.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

So if we get rid of Richo, who are the candidates to replace him?

King12
Club Player

Toy Saint wrote: Wed 15 May 2019 8:51am So if we get rid of Richo, who are the candidates to replace him?
Well according to a Tom Browne tweet, Brad Scott!

No Thanks!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

No no no no no..

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Shaggy
Club Player

Riewoldt
Hayes
Fisher
Gilbert
Montagna
Dal Santo

I'm sure you'll agree that's not a bad crew to have built St Kilda 2.0 around. And yet, here we are.
But you have only mentioned players drafted 2005 and before and they are gone. Our (very) experienced players today should come from our 2006 - 2012 drafts before Richo was appointed. Where are they?

On the weekend we only had 4 players with 100+ games compared to West Coasts 14:-

Savage
Brown
Ross
Newnes

Our recruitment between 2006 and 2012 was poor with the exception of 2011 and it obviously still hurts us because they are the players who should be leading the way today.

Our future is looking bright regardless because we have a strong core of 22, 23 & 24 year olds who should start hitting the sweet spot in terms of experience over the next few years. If the core believe in Richo he stays. If they do not believe in him he goes IMO.

The Craw
Club Player

Shaggy wrote: Wed 15 May 2019 11:55am
But you have only mentioned players drafted 2005 and before and they are gone. Our (very) experienced players today should come from our 2006 - 2012 drafts before Richo was appointed. Where are they?

On the weekend we only had 4 players with 100+ games compared to West Coasts 14:-

Savage
Brown
Ross
Newnes

Our recruitment between 2006 and 2012 was poor with the exception of 2011 and it obviously still hurts us because they are the players who should be leading the way today.

Our future is looking bright regardless because we have a strong core of 22, 23 & 24 year olds who should start hitting the sweet spot in terms of experience over the next few years. If the core believe in Richo he stays. If they do not believe in him he goes IMO.
Now that is one damn good point !

Not Craw, CRAW!
Annoyedsaint
Club Player

He goes regardless!! His record is an abomination, one of the worst of all time!!!!
How he has lasted this long is one of life's miracles. Certified dud.

At least Brad Scott made a few prelims.....

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

King12 wrote: Wed 15 May 2019 10:23am
Toy Saint wrote: Wed 15 May 2019 8:51am So if we get rid of Richo, who are the candidates to replace him?
Well according to a Tom Browne tweet, Brad Scott!

No Thanks!
Brad is an upgrade on Richo but he won't make us a consistent top 4 side and I can't see him ever being a premiership coach

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Shaggy wrote: Wed 15 May 2019 11:55am

Riewoldt
Hayes
Fisher
Gilbert
Montagna
Dal Santo

I'm sure you'll agree that's not a bad crew to have built St Kilda 2.0 around. And yet, here we are.

Savage
Brown
Ross
Newnes

That is my point entirely. Yes, the players I mentioned were all time greats and hence, we should’ve been able to construct 2.0 around them whilst they were still there.

As for the post 2005 draftees - again, that’s my point - was it poor recruiting and they were all duds or, did our pitiful development program cause that? I can’t for the life of me think that all of our draftees could’ve been duds & yet, very few are still there.

My barometer for this is Sam Gilbert. He was on our list for 10+ years. And we all knew that whilst he had some great qualities (running power, tacking) he was mainly diabolical with ball in hand. So - in 10 years - we couldn’t recruit and develop or trade for a better version of Sam?

And don’t get me started on Alan’s obstinance around playing an injured Weller for 2 years too long (lesson still not learned when he played a very sore Bruce against Adelaide)

asiu
Saintsational Legend

i thought we made this decision last year
.... its seems the understudy is doing ok

i can’t see Richo surviving as Coach myself
but i can see us keeping changes minimal

so
there’s a move sideways
a resignation

or at the very worst
a sacking

hopefully we play it smarter this time
than we have in the past

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Annoyedsaint
Club Player

How many more games with this Cee U Next Tuesday in charge? Go blues next week.

Richo Out
Finnis Out

I’d rather Stevie Wonder as coach

<1 week ban for demeaning the coach>

seano1
Club Player

Fair to say Buckley has been there 8 years richo 5 years, yes they have played finals but they didn’t have Our old recruiting staff .They are a club that attracts players and we have to become that type of club . If you look at the way the top 4 clubs play they have had less training times due to finals but look fitter and stronger and above all else they know the value of winning and have a hunger for more than ours .....thats what we need

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Richo skating on thin ice.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
guitars4
Club Player

Hell of a nice bloke but can't coach at AFL level , just dose't have the nous for it . It's not his fault it's the idiot's that extended his contract.