Jack Steele

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Josh Battle
Club Player

Re: Jack Steele

BarryGrogan wrote: Tue 09 Jul 2019 10:16pm
Myron Gaines wrote: Tue 09 Jul 2019 7:13pm I would like to see him used more offensively. He can win his own footy, so instead of instructing him to sit off the ball & tackle his opponent when they get it, instruct him to get the pill himself. Ross should be playing a more negating role to free up Steele.
Bizarre isn't it.

Ross was becoming an elite defensive midfielder, so Cho turns him into a D-Grade offensive one.
How Bazaar, How Bazaar? You guys are spot on and I remember in 2016 when Sebby started emerging as en elite onballer for his ability to play the tagger on the stars of the game. It's also interesting that you can't always shutdown your opponent but you can certainly nullify their impact (see link below).

Seb went away from that exclusive defensive role in many games in 2017 because his coach wanted it that way. I suppose Seb increased his total possession count each week, but most people rate impact and effectiveness much more than just total possessions. If I was in charge of voting in 2017 I would have given the Trevor Barker Barker Medal to Dylan for having more of an impact on our results.

Sebby has certainly been the victim of a few taggers as well in the last couple of years and I suppose he is given that respect by the opposition because he has earnt it.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/st-kil ... bb781abed9

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Cho turned him into a D Grader?!

How exactly did he do that, did he make him play bad?

That must mean he made him play well in 2016/2017

And he did play very well in those years

And his lack of performance is way overplayed, he’s still finding the footy, perhaps not using it as well as he could. Cheap possessions, for an AFL Mid?? If was easy getting a kick at AFL level, more would be able to do it.

Myron Gaines
Club Player

I’m not knocking Seb but feel he’s better utilised following an opponent to the ball. He will naturally find his own footy anyway & is good defensively. He lacks the skills to play outside the contest or on a back flank setting up play.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Seb is a very good B grade AFL midfielder.
Can find the ball but has average disposal.
Has improved his pace and running capacity over the years which were issues in his early days.

If he was in a strong team and was the 4 - 6 best mid field rotation player in the club he'd be lauded as a gun.
Chad Fletcher was AA one season in a midfield that contained Kerr, Judd, Cousins, Embley etc, etc as he was allowed to roam free from opposition clubs.

As Seb is our prime mid he gets a bit more opposition attention that a player of his ability warrants.

Not a big fan of Seb but thinks people calling for him to be dropped on this site is very extreme.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Those calls are very silly imo. In an average year, he will still finish top 6 in the b&f which means 16 others are performing worse than him.

Against Hawthorn he got 39 pos, 4 tackles and a goal

How many Saints players churn out those numbers.

He is averaging 26ppg with 4 clangers 3.5 tackles in a poor year for him.

Maybe if Dunstan could run and spread and had some endurance, he’d get to 30 touches more often

To compare
Dunstan has gone past 25 touches 3 times this season
Ross has gone past 30 touches 4 times

And before we blabber on about meaningless kicks, your job as a mid is to find the ball more than your opponents because when you’ve got it, they ain’t... and when your moving it forward, they ain’t

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I would drop Ross for a week not because he’s in the bottom few players, but because I think it will give him the kick up the bum he needs to lift his game back to the level we know he can play at.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.