Team vs Port

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: Team vs Port

footynut wrote: Thu 23 Jul 2020 8:53pm I like the it's (assuming Parker is fit), but where is Hannebery? I think he's leadership adds some intangibles.
Low probably of beating Port in Adelaide
Don't risk his hammy this game.
Play safe and hope he can play the next 4 games.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
To the top
SS Life Member

Bringing pressure when the opposition have the ball is a not negotiable requirement of every player

You do not select players to bring defensive pressure

If you are playing as a forward the expectation is that you kick goals

Lonie is producing at well less than 1 goal per game

The pressure will be on Parker/Hind to (also) snag a couple of goals because if they are kicking a couple (and doing all the other things required) they will not be dropped

If they are not hitting the scoreboard they will be in trouble

To the top
SS Life Member

And just to add, we can improve this side by Long, Battle and Hannebery being fit and available

So which 3 miss out to accomodate those inclusions?

ace
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Thu 23 Jul 2020 10:07pm Bringing pressure when the opposition have the ball is a not negotiable requirement of every player

The pressure will be on Parker/Hind to (also) snag a couple of goals because if they are kicking a couple (and doing all the other things required) they will not be dropped

Lonie is No 1 in the competition for pressure.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Thu 23 Jul 2020 10:13pm
To the top wrote: Thu 23 Jul 2020 10:07pm Bringing pressure when the opposition have the ball is a not negotiable requirement of every player

Except when kicking for goals. Then he crumbles under it.

George27
Club Player

To the top wrote: Thu 23 Jul 2020 10:12pm And just to add, we can improve this side by Long, Battle and Hannebery being fit and available

So which 3 miss out to accomodate those inclusions?
Battle for Parker as tallish forward ( Parker is 190 cm)
Hannebery for Sinclair
Long for Kent , and Geary plays as a defensive forward .

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

How good is Rankine??

I know wrong thread - but the kid is a freak

Nee!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

We still are shortish but at least Parker adds some height.

I think lack of height could a factor.

Parker 190cm vs Lonie 174cm

But still

Gresh 179cm
Butler 182cm
Kent 179cm

It is small.
and Sincs is only 181cm

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 23 Jul 2020 10:19pm
ace wrote: Thu 23 Jul 2020 10:13pm

Except when kicking for goals. Then he crumbles under it.
He's been pretty good over the last 12 months, but he tries to do the miraculous instead of focusing on the basics. His set shots have generally been ok if he's under 40m out. I think he wastes a few of our chances when he should be doing the team thing.

He thinks he's Shane Savege when he marks 50m out from goal and he thinks he can snap them from any angle like Milney. That is his main problem. I think he needs to understand his limitations and I think some of the on field leaders need to get in his ear with advice on the ground at times.

Perhaps Ratts and Roughy need to set some rules and Lonie needs to be disciplined.

In any case, happy that Matty and Nick and Sincs get their opportunity

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Thu 23 Jul 2020 9:43pm
skeptic wrote: Thu 23 Jul 2020 9:14pm
footynut wrote: Thu 23 Jul 2020 8:53pm I like the it's (assuming Parker is fit), but where is Hannebery? I think he's leadership adds some intangibles.
Doubtful that he was omitted so he mustn’t have come up
Omitted? I think he needs to be in before he's omitted but kinda understand what you mean skeptic.

Sadly this is becoming the norm / expectation with him. Unless he can get on the park and string some games together and actually contribute to an upwards trend for St Kilda, he'll always be our & Lethlean's albatross.
So long as he's there if we make finals. Then his experience and his talent will be invaluable.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Fri 24 Jul 2020 9:57am
Omitted? I think he needs to be in before he's omitted but kinda understand what you mean skeptic.

Sadly this is becoming the norm / expectation with him. Unless he can get on the park and string some games together and actually contribute to an upwards trend for St Kilda, he'll always be our & Lethlean's albatross.
So long as he's there if we make finals. Then his experience and his talent will be invaluable.

I can't believe the amount of leeway people on here are prepared to allow this clown and Hill!
Two monumental c**k ups in trading, one a cripple and the other a pea heart and still the optimism persists.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote: Fri 24 Jul 2020 10:06am
samuraisaint wrote: Fri 24 Jul 2020 9:57am

I can't believe the amount of leeway people on here are prepared to allow this clown and Hill!
Two monumental c**k ups in trading, one a cripple and the other a pea heart and still the optimism persists.
Rate both and no doubt the team plays better with both in it.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Sanctorum
Club Player

I can see where you're coming from GL because the jury is still out on the wisdom of recruiting Dan Hannebery, but in the current circumstances it is hard to know why he was not selected for the game against Port, there could be a myriad of reasons.

I'm still on the Hanners bandwagon, he is far from a spent force and there is no reason why he, like Bradley Hill, won't get back to his best in the future.

But it may not be until 2021, when there has been a further clean-out of dead wood, the possible addition of another elite midfielder plus the team's emerging talent maturing, that St Kilda will become a formidable force.

That said I am quite delighted with the ins and outs against Port which combined with the latter missing a couple of big names should give the Saints a real chance to win 2 on the trot at Adelaide Oval. Here's hoping!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saynta
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 24 Jul 2020 12:00am We still are shortish but at least Parker adds some height.

I think lack of height could a factor.

Parker 190cm vs Lonie 174cm

But still

Gresh 179cm
Butler 182cm
Kent 179cm

It is small.
and Sincs is only 181cm
Sinclair is what they used to call a collingwood six footer.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Byrnes didn't get much of a run.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Fri 24 Jul 2020 12:03pm Byrnes didn't get much of a run.
Once he's won two B&Fs he will. I'm sure he'll get more opportunity. I look forward to see how he bounces back and what he's learned.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Fri 24 Jul 2020 11:06am

I can see where you're coming from GL because the jury is still out on the wisdom of recruiting Dan Hannebery, but in the current circumstances it is hard to know why he was not selected for the game against Port, there could be a myriad of reasons.

I'm still on the Hanners bandwagon, he is far from a spent force and there is no reason why he, like Bradley Hill, won't get back to his best in the future.

But it may not be until 2021, when there has been a further clean-out of dead wood, the possible addition of another elite midfielder plus the team's emerging talent maturing, that St Kilda will become a formidable force.

That said I am quite delighted with the ins and outs against Port which combined with the latter missing a couple of big names should give the Saints a real chance to win 2 on the trot at Adelaide Oval. Here's hoping!
Well put Sanctorum. Believe me I think we are a much better side with Hannebery in it. I also have no concerns about Hill.

We have Roughy to give advice, insight and drive off the field and he's being paid accordingly. I desperately want Hanners to be doing all that on the field and earn the bulk of what he's getting paid by being out on the field improving our midfield.

I hope both strike their best form in our last 10 games of 2020, that includes at least 3 finals.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 24 Jul 2020 12:36pm
freely wrote: Fri 24 Jul 2020 12:03pm Byrnes didn't get much of a run.
Once he's won two B&Fs he will. I'm sure he'll get more opportunity. I look forward to see how he bounces back and what he's learned.
Cheap shot mate, really cheap shot and beneath you really. :roll:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 24 Jul 2020 12:45pm

Well put Sanctorum. Believe me I think we are a much better side with Hannebery in it. I also have no concerns about Hill.

We have Roughy to give advice, insight and drive off the field and he's being paid accordingly. I desperately want Hanners to be doing all that on the field and earn the bulk of what he's getting paid by being out on the field improving our midfield.

I hope both strike their best form in our last 10 games of 2020, that includes at least 3 finals.
Roughy is in Melbourne. Bit hard to give advice on the sidelines from that far away. :wink:

wasaintsfan
Club Player

at first i was a bit WTF with the changes. Hanners was fit last week but decided to hold off. Lonie does a lot of things right. Byrnes only got one game but then i thought

Hanners - Likely triple checking due to his past issues and all the small niggling hamstring issues going on everywhere ALA Nate Fyfe this year. May be right but give him a scratch match this week.
Lonie - Has been a bit selfish at times but does have heart.
Byrnes - Got a run against the worst team in the comp and struggled. Needs more opportunity but not against the best team currently in the comp
Battle - would've likely been dropped this week regardless of being fit due to match ups.

Parker - Will bring aggression, pace and likely a goal. Best chance he is going to get all year to show this is where he belongs.
Sinclair - Needs some reward for effort and has experience, which is lacking a little.
Hind - love his run. This inclusion shows me that we aren't looking at how to Stop the Port players. We want them to try stop us for a change. A win last week. short turn around for a game, Port had a hard fast game last week.

I hope this is the week that King gets a little bit of Tex love in Adelaide. He has to be one of the most held forwards in the comp(must come with having the number 12), would love to see him get a few free kicks early and nail all of them.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 24 Jul 2020 1:36pm

Roughy is in Melbourne. Bit hard to give advice on the sidelines from that far away. :wink:
Melbourne is closer to Adelaide than Noosa 😉

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 24 Jul 2020 3:51pm

Melbourne is closer to Adelaide than Noosa 😉

Take your word for it. :wink:

Sanctorum
Club Player

That's not a problem, just prop a life-size cardboard cut-out of Roughie on the bench, with speakers and headphones to enable him to interact with the players when they are benched - he can call out observations, instructions etc for all to hear, crikey, even turn up the volume so that the players can hear him on the ground, all from the comfort of his armchair at home. Would cost bugger all and a damn sight cheaper than having him in the hub....

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

$3 is an interesting price for our team which on paper looks ok compared to Port. I imagine no interstate team has ever won two weeks in a row in the city of churches and mass murderers but why not. Will be interested how we react when Jonas smacks one of our guys. May just have a dabble, point out the value to the poorly paid umps and hope the conspiracy theory is right.