Webster and Dunstan to Adelaide

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

johnearljames
Club Player

Webster and Dunstan to Adelaide

Must be more coming our way.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
BadRossco
Club Player

Re: Webster and Dunstan to Adelaide

Hope it’s not just part of the Crouch deal if so we have probably got the worst end of the bargain for a RFA

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Part of the Crouch deal so that the Crows get a Band 1 compensation, they take Dunstan & Webster for our salary cap relief and we get pick or picks in return. Another very smart deal by Gags if the AFL signs off on it.

older saint
SS Life Member

So actually separate deal to Crouch then?
Are we saying we get Crouch FA - front end the deal so Adelaide get pick 2
Separate trade we send Dunstan and Webster to Adelaide and they send back picks ( perhaps split 2 into 2 other first rounders or first and early second?)

SaintPelican66
Club Player

johnearljames wrote: Fri 23 Oct 2020 12:36pm Must be more coming our way.
They should also send Roberton as well.

Adelaide gains :
Roberton, Webster & Dunstan

St Kilda gains :
Heaps of salary cap releif and pick 30

8-)

johnearljames
Club Player

Not sure whats happening to be honest.

FA wages are spread out across the length of the deal so you can't front load them to help out the other club.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
johnearljames
Club Player

Let's be honest. Webster and Dunstan aren't best 22 anymore.

portosaint
Club Player

Possibly someone on the radar who requires the cap space and/or pick from Dunstan and Jimmy. If so, could be a good deal for both clubs.

If not... Well, that wouldn't make much sense.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

portosaint wrote: Fri 23 Oct 2020 1:38pm Possibly someone on the radar who requires the cap space and/or pick from Dunstan and Jimmy. If so, could be a good deal for both clubs.

OR it requires us paying Crouch more to trigger the Band 1 compensation for Adelaide, so we actually require cap space relief to do that. I dont think our cap would have that much room after last years recruiting?

portosaint
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Fri 23 Oct 2020 1:45pm
portosaint wrote: Fri 23 Oct 2020 1:38pm Possibly someone on the radar who requires the cap space and/or pick from Dunstan and Jimmy. If so, could be a good deal for both clubs.

OR it requires us paying Crouch more to trigger the Band 1 compensation for Adelaide, so we actually require cap space relief to do that. I dont think our cap would have that much room after last years recruiting?
That's that bit that wouldn't make sense to me. Adelaide's compensation is not our problem. Silly of us to pay more to benefit another club. I'm hopeful there's more to it.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

portosaint wrote: Fri 23 Oct 2020 2:32pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Fri 23 Oct 2020 1:45pm

That's that bit that wouldn't make sense to me. Adelaide's compensation is not our problem. Silly of us to pay more to benefit another club. I'm hopeful there's more to it.
You’d gave to imagine that this move benefits us in some way otherwise yeah what’s the point.
Reckon we either have to get picks back, there’s another trade in the works, or that we walk away from it with more cap space

ace
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Fri 23 Oct 2020 1:13pm So actually separate deal to Crouch then?
Are we saying we get Crouch FA - front end the deal so Adelaide get pick 2
Separate trade we send Dunstan and Webster to Adelaide and they send back picks ( perhaps split 2 into 2 other first rounders or first and early second?)
Webster is contracted for 2021 and Dunstan for 2022.
We can not gift Dunstan and Webster to Adelaide.
AFL will require Adelaide must give us reasonable value in picks for each.
But the AFL can NOT insist that we continue to pay them once they become Adelaide players.
We may be trading out fringe players to clear salary space but we are still trading them out.
Anything we pay Crouch is entirely paid by St Kilda and comes entirely out of St Kilda cap.

Adelaide wants pick 2 as free agent compensation.
Adelaide would want us to front end Couch contract so that he delivers them pick 2.
That means he must get paid top 5% of his age group, and St Kilda pays the lot.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

So if we are going to over pay Crouch to deliver Adelaide pick 2, Adelaide's picks for Webster and Dunstan need to be excessive but not too excessive to be rejected by the AFL.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

I can’t understand why we would overpay Crouch for the next four or five years, which would impact our salary cap and ability to resign players for the duration of the contract.
If Adelaide want more than the compo pick, fine we’ll give them a sweetener in a separate trade. Webster or Dunstan for a swap of picks.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Nice $50,000 a year windfall for Crouch

Wish I could get a bonus from my new employer to keep my old employer happy.

Nee!
takeaway
Club Player

Sounds like a form of draft tampering to me. "Artificially" inflating a player's contract so the club losing the player gets better compensation. I thought the FA banding consideration was based over the whole term of the contract, so front ending would not be relevant. If they are simply going to increase Crouch's overall contract due to the salary dump of losing Dunstan & Webster, that will not auger well in future contract negotiations with the rest of the players.

If the AFL lets this go through, many future FA deals will be using "expendable" players to increase the compensation. Doubt they'll allow it, or am I misunderstanding the deal?

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Webster and Dunstan are two good players. Both could come into a side and perform well.

Nee!
ace
Saintsational Legend

I don't suppose there is any interest in these contracted players Joyce, McKenzie

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

Where was this information actually posted?

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Fri 23 Oct 2020 3:12pm Sounds like a form of draft tampering to me. "Artificially" inflating a player's contract so the club losing the player gets better compensation. I thought the FA banding consideration was based over the whole term of the contract, so front ending would not be relevant. If they are simply going to increase Crouch's overall contract due to the salary dump of losing Dunstan & Webster, that will not auger well in future contract negotiations with the rest of the players.

If the AFL lets this go through, many future FA deals will be using "expendable" players to increase the compensation. Doubt they'll allow it, or am I misunderstanding the deal?
I must say the more it comes out in the media the less I think the AFL will be inclined to approve it. But the AFL did say they would give compensation value's on contracts before they were submitted. Perhaps its the AFL's method of attempting to be more transparent in the compensation process, but as you say it opens up the 'draft tampering' window.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Selhurst Saint wrote: Fri 23 Oct 2020 3:46pm Where was this information actually posted?
Well most likely from the same place as this:
WellardSaint wrote: Fri 23 Oct 2020 10:24am SEN (Garry Lyon the grass-cutter) says JWeb n Dunstan go to Crows in a trade for Crouch
Why the OP has to pretend to be an ITK two to three hours later boggles the mind.

Congrats to WellardSaint for showing how it is done. ie Post the source.

Or it could have been the SEN online report 30 minutes prior to the OP.

FOR MORE DETIALS ON THE HYPOTHETICAL or RUMMOURED DEAL BELOW

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/10/22/ ... otiations/

Garry Lyon read out the latest trade news from his ‘8:30am’ insider on SEN Breakfast this morning.

The report suggested St Kilda and Adelaide struck an agreement as part of Brad Crouch’s decision to join the Saints in free agency.

That deal will see the Crows take on a pair of Saints players to give salary cap relief and allow St Kilda to pay Crouch enough to grant Adelaide top-bracket compensation.

“St Kilda and the Crows got together for a deal RE: Brad Crouch to ensure Adelaide gets compensation pick number two,” Lyon read on SEN Breakfast.

“The thought is the money was not high enough to give him the compensation.

“Initially the Crouch money fell under the compensation to make it happen, so the Saints bumped up his wage to get the average over $700,000, originally $550,000, which wasn’t enough.

“In turn, the Crows will take both Jimmy Webster and Luke Dunstan in exchange for a set of steak knife, late draft choices.

“The Crows are taking them off St Kilda’s salary cap, hence the upgrade for Crouch and pick two.”

Webster, 27, did not play a game for the Saints in 2020, while Dunstan played one before a season-ending pectoral injury.

Note that Webster contract is to end of 2022, and Dunstan's to only end of next year. So with Crouch on longterm deal we would need to be careful.

Also will the AFL just sit of their hands and award pick 2? AFLL does owe us some favours though.

Benefit to Saints s that if rows match we would have to trade and that may be more than just our first round, though arguably that is around a fair trade.

Crouch however gets a stack more money., and that could cause problems with other Saint we need to re-sign. Unless the contract can just be higher in only years 1 and 2.

CH7

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/rival-cl ... -c-1441489

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
johnearljames
Club Player

No, I read it on SEN. Good website.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Knowing Jimmy, I reckon he’ll pull the pin on his AFL career if the Saints try to trade him to the Crows.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

The discussion point for the saints is not that we are boosting Crouch's salary to gift Adelaide pick 2 but to ensure they don't match. That is a perfectly valid thing for us to do.
A secondary deal for Adelaide to get an experienced inside mid as a replacement for Crouch makes sense.
The only thing that the AFL could complain about was if the deal for Dunstan an Webster was ridiculously weighted in Adelaide's favour. As long as Adelaide give us a second round pick for the two players I don't see how the AFL can say anything about it.
Adelaide are losing Crouch they know that, they want Pick 2, everyone knows that. It makes little difference to St Kilda if they get pick 2 or second tier compensation. It is only an issue to St Kilda if they match and we then have to trade for him.

SaintPelican66
Club Player

johnearljames wrote: Fri 23 Oct 2020 1:15pm Not sure whats happening to be honest.

FA wages are spread out across the length of the deal so you can't front load them to help out the other club.
Yes you can.
Ofer Crouch a 2 year contract at $1m per year. That's it.

But deep down inside he knows that when those 2 years expire he will only get $400k per year for 2 years for his next contract.