'You'll see a different type of St Kilda' - Ratten's initial plan going into 2021

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: 'You'll see a different type of St Kilda' - Ratten's initial plan going into 2021

The Billings Method wrote: Tue 27 Apr 2021 8:54pm
seano1 wrote: Tue 27 Apr 2021 4:58pm
Teflon wrote: Mon 26 Apr 2021 7:44pm Ratten needs help IMO
He’s proven historically that he is not a defensive coach at all - it looks good when all is going our way with a full squad to choose from......not so good when the wheels start coming off like lately.

IMO we are stale with many football club personnel- Hamiltonian has to go , Sexton go, Lade? And didn’t we hire some tactical genius to sit in the box?? Gonski
It might not be popular but Ratten if smart ought to reach out to Lyon and get some defensive consultancy support....Lyon could even give him a view on
1. Defensive game plan - how Ratts keeps his style but adapts/adds to it when the flow ain’t going our way
2. Assistants - who knows their shyte and who are just dumb ex footballers??? (lots of the latter around..)
I think Ratten can coach , I think he can adapt if it were me Is drop the ego and sound Lyon out....after all if we one day grab a flag it’s Ratten’s name as coach and we ought to be thinking now how do I build this side out to be a genuine contender.

It’ll never happen btw
I think thats a pretty fare comment....Hammil has been there quite a few yrs and has had a hand in looking after each group over that period but has it improved anything, not sure to be honest but we need a couple of newbies or proven ones to come in .
Someone needs to have the balls to tell ratts that it’s no good having our forward talls trying to outmark each other or crowding the forward line they need to spread out .
Hamill has failed in every position he's had at the club. Elshaug 2.0. He has powerful mates at the club, but it's time to go. 2 weeks.
Yep agree but not just Hamill the place needs a review
All coaching panel and FFS let’s steal some IP from genuine contenders?? I’m sick of year after year our forward entry strategy being “bomb it in”
Recruitment- let’s look at the core group we have who will be there for the next challenge and identify what we need to bring in we have a decent core to build from but his current team won’t win a flag
Game plan - tell Brett they need to run defensively as well as offensively
Fitness - whose in charge ???? This year we look unfit that’s just deplorable
So let’s look at a range of things to improve its not 1

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: 'You'll see a different type of St Kilda' - Ratten's initial plan going into 2021

SAINT-LEE wrote: Tue 27 Apr 2021 6:48am I dont agree.

I think you are taking the piss.

You think Ratts is saying....listen, " there's no game plan, no structures or system, just have fun with your mates playing with the ball and Ill see you in 2 hours?"

Have you been to training this year?
Ridiculous.

You are taking his words out of context.

With both Ryder and Rowan in the centre and giving mids first touch, directing play and moving forward to support the game allows players to run to their strengths....fly by the pack knowing you might likely get a hand ball as you streak along, use initiative to play your game.

You can call that when you have the advantage, whe you are confident that your first line of defence in Geary & Patton are rebounding the ball forward - you be inventive, creative and EXPECTANT of opportunity.

With those key players gone, if you run that game you're left looking like a twat because the ball isnt there. So you're chasing the ball, you're getting desperate, you stop playing your game - like Hill and he spends 85% of his time in defense trying to stop the pounding from losing every centre contest and the ball entering 50 relentlessly.

Listen to Ratts talk about what chaos is wrought when we lose the centre, he chatted after our Ruchmond loss about what was happening and how players were losing their natural game to run and chase incessantly and we were getting cooked.
This post makes no sense
Go read it yourself I cut and pasted it so no out of context word for word that’s what we’ve been practising and anyone can see game day that’s what they’re trying to do or do enlighten me on what our forward entry strategy is???

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Tue 27 Apr 2021 10:13am
Teflon wrote: Mon 26 Apr 2021 7:44pm Ratten needs help IMO
He’s proven historically that he is not a defensive coach at all - it looks good when all is going our way with a full squad to choose from......not so good when the wheels start coming off like lately.

IMO we are stale with many football club personnel- Hamiltonian has to go , Sexton go, Lade? And didn’t we hire some tactical genius to sit in the box?? Gonski
It might not be popular but Ratten if smart ought to reach out to Lyon and get some defensive consultancy support....Lyon could even give him a view on
1. Defensive game plan - how Ratts keeps his style but adapts/adds to it when the flow ain’t going our way
2. Assistants - who knows their shyte and who are just dumb ex footballers??? (lots of the latter around..)
I think Ratten can coach , I think he can adapt if it were me Is drop the ego and sound Lyon out....after all if we one day grab a flag it’s Ratten’s name as coach and we ought to be thinking now how do I build this side out to be a genuine contender.

It’ll never happen btw
:lol: ever reliable! cue saintsational argument 247
A genuine suggestion but anyhoo :|

“Yeah….nah””
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

B.M wrote: Tue 27 Apr 2021 6:28pm So now it’s the assistants?!

It used to be Richo??!!
Ratts needs help in the box. I was dubious of Lade’s value in the coaching box when hired. Was not rated by a number of ITK at Port Adelaide when he was coaching there. Both Port and Richmond improved after Lade moved on. Not saying it was his fault but clearly he didn’t help either of those groups play at their best. Hamill another guy who doesn’t seem to have helped the group improve. Wish we had gone hard for an experienced ex-coach like a choco Williams. No coincidence in my mind that Melbourne have improved. Don’t underestimate Choco’s influence. Could be time to ask Ross Lyon if he would like an assistant role. Poach Sam Mitchell. Both Would certainly provide a contrasting POV in the coaches box.

As for players,
Carlisle is now a virtual statue who can’t take a contested mark
King has lost all confidence and really needs a couple of games back at Sandy . Watching him first hand against Port I was amazed at how many times he turned his back on the play and didn’t want to be the target , or stopped short of flying for the ball.
Battle has forgotten how to play as a forward and kick goals
Hill’s confidence is shot and is playing confuse footy - he genuinely doesn’t know how he can best help the team turn it around . Focus on his strengths or his weaknesses?
Membrey would be a star if he was allowed to play as a 3rd tall rather than have to carry the burden of being the only forward target genuinely interested in leading for the ball every entry.
Clark , Long , Sinclair all want to play the free wheeling attacking half back role , but don’t want to be a defender first and foremost.

Struggling to see us finishing anywhere above 11th .
To the clubs credit. We adapted to 2020 COVID better than most clubs- but with life getting back to normal other clubs have improved again.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote: Wed 28 Apr 2021 12:06am
B.M wrote: Tue 27 Apr 2021 6:28pm So now it’s the assistants?!

It used to be Richo??!!
Ratts needs help in the box. I was dubious of Lade’s value in the coaching box when hired. Was not rated by a number of ITK at Port Adelaide when he was coaching there. Both Port and Richmond improved after Lade moved on. Not saying it was his fault but clearly he didn’t help either of those groups play at their best. Hamill another guy who doesn’t seem to have helped the group improve. Wish we had gone hard for an experienced ex-coach like a choco Williams. No coincidence in my mind that Melbourne have improved. Don’t underestimate Choco’s influence. Could be time to ask Ross Lyon if he would like an assistant role. Poach Sam Mitchell. Both Would certainly provide a contrasting POV in the coaches box.

As for players,
Carlisle is now a virtual statue who can’t take a contested mark
King has lost all confidence and really needs a couple of games back at Sandy . Watching him first hand against Port I was amazed at how many times he turned his back on the play and didn’t want to be the target , or stopped short of flying for the ball.
Battle has forgotten how to play as a forward and kick goals
Hill’s confidence is shot and is playing confuse footy - he genuinely doesn’t know how he can best help the team turn it around . Focus on his strengths or his weaknesses?
Membrey would be a star if he was allowed to play as a 3rd tall rather than have to carry the burden of being the only forward target genuinely interested in leading for the ball every entry.
Clark , Long , Sinclair all want to play the free wheeling attacking half back role , but don’t want to be a defender first and foremost.

Struggling to see us finishing anywhere above 11th .
To the clubs credit. We adapted to 2020 COVID better than most clubs- but with life getting back to normal other clubs have improved again.
Great post - tbh I could care less about R Lyon but truth is we are in deep shyte and Ratts needs some defensive help big time. Get him in to even provide a view on how we might balance out our game plan as right now we only run 1 way and oppo sides know it.

We just aren’t ruthless enough in our pursuit of excellence- we are too bloody polite.
Bombers just openly target Dunkley and almost had him FFS identify that ilk (throw the sink at Ben King, Merret and Dunkley) offload Billings if you have too net result list improves. At 25 we’ve seen his best at Saints.
Re coaching - totally MuST be time for Hanill, Lade, Sexton in his role to go
Add Lyon in a support role akin to Choco
Bring in some genuine regarded talent at a successful club - poach a Choco if we have to fork Melbourne
Also overhaul fitness get the best
We actually have a decent squad of 25 and unders NOW is the time to be aggressive and add to it
All list cloggers go
Lonie
DMac
Dunstan
Carlisle
Hannebery
Long?
Kemp
McKernan
Hunter
We have to get better now and think 3-5
It can turn quickly if we can land a few younger trades and we use later picks smart

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I underestimate the influences of coaches full stop.

Actually, I think the influence of a coach is generally overrated.

Put a great coach - Allen Jeans in Richmond 92 - no influence
Put a great team - Hawthorn in 91 - under a average coach in Joyce - Premiership

Malthouse and Pagan - Both Succeeded and Failed by the strength of the talent they had available.

Yes - some coaches are better than others, and get the team playing well, but only if they’ve got the cattle in the first place!

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Thats nine players.
It's just too many if you want to remain competitive.
I'd be looking to retain Long, however he really needs to pull his head in and just focus on the game more.
Lonie needs results. Simple as that.
Cant even see Kent getting a look in and thats for the best.

Hannas, Dunstan, Carlisle, McKernan, Hunter and maybe D'mac yeah.

Could probably throw Geary in there too.

It would be approaching 750k-1M off the cap in that bunch. A big chunk of that is Ben King money.

I've been calling for Sexton to be replaced for some time. He has been around for far too long with too many losing seasons. Same with Hamill really. Surprised we didnt get a full clean out when Ratten got the job.

King will take a first rounder to dislodge.

We dont have enough picks. We just dont.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote: Wed 28 Apr 2021 12:55am Thats nine players.
It's just too many if you want to remain competitive.
I'd be looking to retain Long, however he really needs to pull his head in and just focus on the game more.
Lonie needs results. Simple as that.
Cant even see Kent getting a look in and thats for the best.

Hannas, Dunstan, Carlisle, McKernan, Hunter and maybe D'mac yeah.

Could probably throw Geary in there too.

It would be approaching 750k-1M off the cap in that bunch. A big chunk of that is Ben King money.

I've been calling for Sexton to be replaced for some time. He has been around for far too long with too many losing seasons. Same with Hamill really. Surprised we didnt get a full clean out when Ratten got the job.

King will take a first rounder to dislodge.

We dont have enough picks. We just dont.
Yep it’s a multi year change
Totally agree re assistants and Ratten needs to acknowledge he needs help

“Yeah….nah””
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Tue 27 Apr 2021 10:09pm

You think Ratts is saying....listen, " there's no game plan, no structures or system, just have fun with your mates playing with the ball and Ill see you in 2 hours?"

Ridiculous.

With both Ryder and Rowan in the centre and giving mids first touch, directing play and moving forward to support the game allows players to run to their strengths....fly by the pack knowing you might likely get a hand ball as you streak along, use initiative to play your game.

You can call that when you have the advantage, whe you are confident that your first line of defence in Geary & Patton are rebounding the ball forward - you be inventive, creative and EXPECTANT of opportunity.

With those key players gone, if you run that game you're left looking like a twat because the ball isnt there. So you're chasing the ball, you're getting desperate, you stop playing your game - like Hill and he spends 85% of his time in defense trying to stop the pounding from losing every centre contest and the ball entering 50 relentlessly.

Listen to Ratts talk about what chaos is wrought when we lose the centre, he chatted after our Ruchmond loss about what was happening and how players were losing their natural game to run and chase incessantly and we were getting cooked.
This post makes no sense
Go read it yourself I cut and pasted it so no out of context word for word that’s what we’ve been practising and anyone can see game day that’s what they’re trying to do or do enlighten me on what our forward entry strategy is???
We aren't disagreeing. Ratts is saying there is a plan but without the skilled players on field to win the centre, providing time & volume of well placed runs inside 50 we begin to panick, chase around, take stupid risks, and in desperation to score bomb it long when we DO get the ball. Players are seeing almost no rebounding from defense, defenders are getting pummelled by opposition getting centre clearances and constant inside 50's....it's not the plan but we lack the depth to cover:

2 x starting Ruck / Forwards
2 x KPP defenders
1 x KPP midfielder

So they're playing chaotic ball and Ratts is frustrated but he sees what you should, we all should...the same players and plan as last year but missing key components and no quality
replacements so we are sucking b@lls.

Our forward entry isn't bomb it everytime, but when you have rubbish opportunity and pressure to score that's what players do...I been to practice 4 times this year I've seen them running centre clearances to presenting forwards for short kicks....but it depends on 1 thing, first touch from the clearance. We aren't getting the ball.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 26 Apr 2021 5:46pm And the last thing Ratts should say in the media is to tell us only the opinions of people inside the "four walls" matter.

If we reach that point this year then you know its terminal.

Shutting down and covering up never works.
Rubbish, it works for some.
I would tell you who but that would result in a ban.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Wed 28 Apr 2021 8:44pm
Teflon wrote: Tue 27 Apr 2021 10:09pm

Ridiculous.

This post makes no sense
We aren't disagreeing. Ratts is saying there is a plan but without the skilled players on field to win the centre, providing time & volume of well placed runs inside 50 we begin to panick, chase around, take stupid risks, and in desperation to score bomb it long when we DO get the ball. Players are seeing almost no rebounding from defense, defenders are getting pummelled by opposition getting centre clearances and constant inside 50's....it's not the plan but we lack the depth to cover:

2 x starting Ruck / Forwards
2 x KPP defenders
1 x KPP midfielder

So they're playing chaotic ball and Ratts is frustrated but he sees what you should, we all should...the same players and plan as last year but missing key components and no quality
replacements so we are sucking b@lls.

Our forward entry isn't bomb it everytime, but when you have rubbish opportunity and pressure to score that's what players do...I been to practice 4 times this year I've seen them running centre clearances to presenting forwards for short kicks....but it depends on 1 thing, first touch from the clearance. We aren't getting the ball.
It’s too easy to say it’s all personnel- sorry yes we e missed Ryder and Marshall but I’ve not seen the lead up efforts from our forwards I’m seeing a stagnant forward line milling 15-30 out from goal trying to play a game plan we used last year to poor effect this year

Seb Ross after the game admitted sides are not letting us play that way his words “they are playing us differently” hence we’ve gone from no 2 in 2020 for scoring accuracy to 17th. What I’m seeing is a game system that’s not evolved and clearly when we don’t have the ball we have ZERO defensive side to our game.

It’s fixable but Ratten needs help imo - he has a track record at Carlton of only playing attacking footy and that’s not enough

We absolutely need fresh ideas and IP in the box and some of the mates rated jobs need to end

People are going to their graves without ever seeing this guy win a flag it’s a disgrace. Melbourne on track to get one before us.

“Yeah….nah””
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Mon 26 Apr 2021 4:28pm This will be up to Ratten and his coaching staff to identify and recognise - the longer it goes on, the more our confidence will drop, and the worse it will end up being. This experiment has to be brought to a halt.
A month on from that initial post, it feels like our confidence did drop, and we did hit rock-bottom - and that was Saturday night.

The judgement is in now. We might win our next three - and get back to a positive W/L ratio - but I can't mount a case for us being a finals team (we could lose five in a row between the Richmond and WCE games in June-July).

It is a despairing thought that the coaching team, the football department and the administration couldn't see this coming.

I really like Ratts. I really wanted him to be the one - God, we all did. We totally bought in to his way - but it was still an extension of the Richo way, if we're honest. Kind, caring, supportive.

But I've just sensed that that approach isn't the right one for this group at this point in time. We've been on a path of this style since 2014; I think we're all cuddled out.

We've reached a tipping point. We can care for our players at a rudimentary level but we have to demand performance. Ruthless performance.

Clubs, and individuals, find growth in their most difficult moments, when they are challenged and out of their comfort zone. Right now, that's us, and that's our coach.

He's going to have to find the growth within himself in order to bring this group together and finish the season like we've never finished a season before. I must confess that, as much as I like Ratts, for him to continue in this role will require him to evolve his leadership - and fast.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Agreed.

Tony74 said that the two missed kicks in the opening ten mintes of the Bulldogs' game defied logic.

But I think they signify a team that, deep down, wants more discipline, not more cuddles.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Tue 25 May 2021 6:04pm Agreed.

Tony74 said that the two missed kicks in the opening ten mintes of the Bulldogs' game defied logic.

But I think they signify a team that, deep down, wants more discipline, not more cuddles.
Agree with you but also agree with tony's comment.

Soul destroying along with Membrey's pathetic kick that dropped short.

The.maggots also crucified us ln.that first quarter

All in all.made for a terrible start to the.evening.that only got worse..

The Recruit
Club Player

No chance the club and ratten have no game plan or structures. It is laughable that people agree with the original poster.

We had a big loss yes but should have beaten cats. The 100 point loss has NOTHING to do with game plan and structure and everything to do with attitude and belief.

It’s a culture issue and put simply
We don’t have enough players setting high standards for each other and obviously no one is holding each other to account. We lack leadership at a playing level so badly.

Also Brad Hill is a cultural disaster and should be traded immediately.

2022 we need to move on
Geary
Mkernan
Wood
Hill
Hannebury
Hunter

Bring in youth and let our 24-26 year olds take back our club.
No more top ups that are turning up for pay checks

Yeah we won’t play finals in 2022 but gee we will be worth supporting and will be much better setup in 2024-25 for another top 4 tilt

repta
Club Player

Thats a lot of players on the chopping block.. any way you look at it.
Frawley needs to be added to the list
We are also a few short (how many picks it mid season draft do we have ...4?

Anyway you look at it we can't dump 7-9 players and with our draft picks... 5 then 45 54 or similar we have 1 good and two very average picks. We can top up after... however generally the players are rubbish.
Therefore without trading we don't have much. Currently not many of our players have any currency. Billings is one. However that would give us a young player and a reset.

Get rid of Billings and then we are looking at full rebuild. Line in the sand and reset. The issue is with a reset course we have a big road as we have topped up with what will effectively be useless list blockers.

Unfortunately we are committed.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Tue 25 May 2021 4:01pm
evertonfc wrote: Mon 26 Apr 2021 4:28pm This will be up to Ratten and his coaching staff to identify and recognise - the longer it goes on, the more our confidence will drop, and the worse it will end up being. This experiment has to be brought to a halt.
A month on from that initial post, it feels like our confidence did drop, and we did hit rock-bottom - and that was Saturday night.

The judgement is in now. We might win our next three - and get back to a positive W/L ratio - but I can't mount a case for us being a finals team (we could lose five in a row between the Richmond and WCE games in June-July).

It is a despairing thought that the coaching team, the football department and the administration couldn't see this coming.

I really like Ratts. I really wanted him to be the one - God, we all did. We totally bought in to his way - but it was still an extension of the Richo way, if we're honest. Kind, caring, supportive.

But I've just sensed that that approach isn't the right one for this group at this point in time. We've been on a path of this style since 2014; I think we're all cuddled out.

We've reached a tipping point. We can care for our players at a rudimentary level but we have to demand performance. Ruthless performance.

Clubs, and individuals, find growth in their most difficult moments, when they are challenged and out of their comfort zone. Right now, that's us, and that's our coach.

He's going to have to find the growth within himself in order to bring this group together and finish the season like we've never finished a season before. I must confess that, as much as I like Ratts, for him to continue in this role will require him to evolve his leadership - and fast.
"CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE"

Brilliant and perfectly sums up the situation for mine.

The current list is manufactured and synthesised from the DNA of other clubs and the Ratts mantra has been "connection".

I'd hate to see this group in a lockdown hub up at Noosa now, I reckon they'd need more than yoga, meditation and mindfulness sessions to stop themselves from attacking each other because I doubt it's anything but a "connected" group currently.

So who's fault is it that this group doesn't have any resilience and the ability to fight and dig in when an opposition strong-arms us. The natural skill and ability is there in abundance...well to about 15 deep on the list at least, but they are clearly all playing for themselves and have no "connection" at all when it comes to each other AND the club.

Who's fault is that.

The time for chosing adventure is over me thinks. Surely it's time to make a statement and if there aren't appropriate axing's this week then I can't see this selfish group chosing the adventure that is "fight".

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

The "choose" and "adventure" parts mean different things to different people. And only certain cossetted footballers might think it unconditional.

The context also: there are 17 other clubs doing their best to stop you having the luxury of choosing and want your adventure to be visiting Mickey Mouse in bottom 4 world.

And not all team mates like each other. But commit to the common cause and they might fight their way out of this nightmare - how many times have we said ourselves, rationalising our workplace, that you don't have to like your colleagues but its better for every one if you work together professionally than all fail.

I have seen the most capable managers frustrated to tears by staff that just refuse to get with the program. That leads to people being moved on when opportunities allow. I think that's where Brett finds himself - he would be so disappointed and peed off with certain players right now.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

The Recruit wrote: Tue 25 May 2021 10:33pm No chance the club and ratten have no game plan or structures. It is laughable that people agree with the original poster.
Just on this - please go back and read Ratten's words.

In any event, *sigh*...of course there's a game plan and structure - my point is that they've de-emphasised system, and allowed for more individual play, to the point where it did feel in certain games that we had no structure. I'm happy to concede that I was embellishing the point for emphasis (I think most posters implicitly understood this).

Indeed, I would agree with your point re: effort. I hate the saying "culture eats strategy for breakfast" because it is so widely abused - however, I believe it's reasonable to say we are suffering from an absence of both.

The Geelong game was an example of what can be done when we pour absolute effort into the game. But you can't win games of footy against top teams (lower teams, yes) without both. Not in the modern age.

I wish it wasn't so, but it is.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Mon 26 Apr 2021 4:28pm Taken from here - https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/you ... 56o47.html - in December 2020.
Ratten has pledged to allow his team to "go out and play" and not to weigh them down with tactics and structures. The Saints have suddenly become a very quick team and Ratten wants his players to embrace their inner flair and creativity.
I think this is rather instructive with regards to how we're playing in 2021.

We're 2-4, playing without structure, instead relying on players to instinctively make good decisions. Which they're absolutely not, because teams are using tactics that force us into making bad decisions (like bombing it long to the F50, where the opponent has numbers back behind the ball).

Watching us get absolutely torn up by a heavily systems-based team (Richmond) was incredibly instructive as it demonstrated to all of us how we want to play (individuals using their flair) as against their style (using teamwork and structures).

It feels as though we've erred so strongly on the side of anti-system that the players themselves are confused about who is doing what.
I’m absolutely bereft of what our game plan looks like right now in 2022, too.

We still don’t appear to have a tactical framework, beyond hoping we win the centre clearance and/or having Sinclair drive the ball out of defence.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Sun 10 Jul 2022 11:20am
evertonfc wrote: Mon 26 Apr 2021 4:28pm Taken from here - https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/you ... 56o47.html - in December 2020.
Ratten has pledged to allow his team to "go out and play" and not to weigh them down with tactics and structures. The Saints have suddenly become a very quick team and Ratten wants his players to embrace their inner flair and creativity.
I think this is rather instructive with regards to how we're playing in 2021.

We're 2-4, playing without structure, instead relying on players to instinctively make good decisions. Which they're absolutely not, because teams are using tactics that force us into making bad decisions (like bombing it long to the F50, where the opponent has numbers back behind the ball).

Watching us get absolutely torn up by a heavily systems-based team (Richmond) was incredibly instructive as it demonstrated to all of us how we want to play (individuals using their flair) as against their style (using teamwork and structures).

It feels as though we've erred so strongly on the side of anti-system that the players themselves are confused about who is doing what.
I’m absolutely bereft of what our game plan looks like right now in 2022, too.

We still don’t appear to have a tactical framework, beyond hoping we win the centre clearance and/or having Sinclair drive the ball out of defence.
The proof is there to see
Disorganised on field - terrible transition
Haphazard Forward plan
It’s all Sinclair/Hill or bust
Yes we have some dud players but that’s coaching
When the heat comes on “choose your own adventure” game plan falls apart
Rath thinks it’s genius to keep opponents guessing…problem is footballers aren’t robots and good sides (Cats, Swans, Dees…now Freo) have a structured style players can depend on that play to their strengths and that they can revert to when challenged
We are bereft of ideas and the players look confused
Steele is now a shell of what he was - certain he’d be a star under Longmire

“Yeah….nah””
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 10 Jul 2022 12:08pm When the heat comes on “choose your own adventure” game plan falls apart
That's probably the most frustrating part.

When we bring the heat - the hard contests, the relentless effort - it can expose the plans of others.

Yet if we don't (and it's all too often), our way of playing falls apart. Players are left to make decisions from bad options; it's a slow switch to the outer side or a long kick to a contest on the wing, where the opposition knows we are going. We get outnumbered, they get it and slingshot it back in before we are ready.

Watching Freo use the corridor with sharp ball movement, overlapping runs and precise kicking was a joy to behold. I think their foot skills actually become better when you've got the mental confidence to know the game plan is solid and you'll have 2-3 good options in every phase of play.

And hats off to them for effort. There were times where players made second, third and fourth efforts - and teammates would come in for support. I was startled to see how much they ran and supported each other, creating numerical overloads in all the key areas.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The argument about the playing list not being up to standard is the certain degree of near delusion that exists in the perception of many players.

I said this in 2020 with Kent - everybody loved his 6 touches and 2 goals a game getting on to the end of loose ball…
When we’re not winning or he starts spraying set shots… that same performance is going to come under fire.

It’s the same deal with a bunch of others now - Wood and Billings being the obvious 2.

Same criticism of Ross last year though he has really stepped this season.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Sun 10 Jul 2022 12:54pm
Teflon wrote: Sun 10 Jul 2022 12:08pm When the heat comes on “choose your own adventure” game plan falls apart

When we bring the heat - the hard contests, the relentless effort - it can expose the plans of others.

Yet if we don't (and it's all too often), our way of playing falls apart. Players are left to make decisions from bad options; it's a slow switch to the outer side or a long kick to a contest on the wing, where the opposition knows we are going. We get outnumbered, they get it and slingshot it back in before we are ready.

Watching Freo use the corridor with sharp ball movement, overlapping runs and precise kicking was a joy to behold. I think their foot skills actually become better when you've got the mental confidence to know the game plan is solid and you'll have 2-3 good options in every phase of play.

And hats off to them for effort. There were times where players made second, third and fourth efforts - and teammates would come in for support. I was startled to see how much they ran and supported each other, creating numerical overloads in all the key areas.
It’s actually Riewoldts point
We have no system that allows repeated, consistent effort and success
It’s all chaos, manic, pressure - our goals look like remarkably hard work
Compared to the well drilled sides where you can see they forward with intent and a plan
We rely on pressure and after that individual brilliance
That tells me we have a game plan and coaching issue
I know we have some unskilled players ….but not the entire list

“Yeah….nah””
stkfc1
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Sun 10 Jul 2022 10:10pm
evertonfc wrote: Sun 10 Jul 2022 12:54pm

It’s actually Riewoldts point
We have no system that allows repeated, consistent effort and success
It’s all chaos, manic, pressure - our goals look like remarkably hard work
Compared to the well drilled sides where you can see they forward with intent and a plan
We rely on pressure and after that individual brilliance
That tells me we have a game plan and coaching issue
I know we have some unskilled players ….but not the entire list

The problem with manic pressure is it's impossible to sustain. It's physically taxing and as the season wears on the players drop off which is why we started so well but now the drop off has come. We have to be smarter with our ball use but I'm not sure we have the cattle to implement that as we're in the bottom half of the comp with our kicking skills. Ross, Jones and Gresh in the midfield for starters. None of them can kick well or often make poor decisions. Ross has had a good season in parts but he's B grade at best. No fault of his own but if he's in our Top 5 at the club then it's a massive reason why we are, where we are. There is no easy fix other than starting to draft good talent. Midfielders that can kick well. (Not halfback flankers that we can hopefully develop.)