Why I hate Walsh’s irrelevance comment

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Re: Why I hate Walsh’s irrelevance comment

Vortex wrote: Mon 10 Oct 2022 12:51pm
terry smith rules wrote: Mon 10 Oct 2022 12:09pm

No my feelings are not hurt (do you have to make a personal comment?)

As I said many of us here agree with the sentiment, I certainly do.

My point (again) is that as an employee is he entitled to air those thoughts publically.

Would you start a new job and on your first day say“excited to join an organisation that many might see as irrelevant” how do you think your employer would react

I reckon your work colleagues would think you have got a little ahead of yourself

I don’t care how fabulous his reputation is, come in, shut up, do your job and if in two years we have a result that we will all laud you as the messiah, until then…. Just get on with it
The bottom line is you have been easily distracted and diverted. Aren't you curious about what his magic trick is to achieve increasing the talent? Shouldn't it annoy you more that he insulted us by giving us bugger all detail on how he intends to bring in said talent other than what he said in this comment:

"I think there are a few little bits and pieces that are related to picks and trying to perhaps group a couple of picks together to get further up the order, like everyone does. Essentially it might be a time where we go to the draft as opposed to trade."

"Like everyone does"

What part of that inspires confidence that he has any chance of improving our list. I mean a 16 year learns that stuff playing supercoach.

Like I say he has made a rod for his back now with his comments and I think unless we learn more about his point of difference then I think he will be found out quickly. So hopefully people inside the club become offended by what matters, hopefully insiders hold him to account on what matter and not just hurt feelings.

I spend my life easily distracted (goddamn the internet and shiny things in the corner), as has St K with Pelchen, Blight etc

You make a good point(s)

FQF

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Rubyjo
Club Player

Sainternist wrote: Mon 10 Oct 2022 12:22pm
Vortex wrote: Mon 10 Oct 2022 9:38am
terry smith rules wrote: Mon 10 Oct 2022 8:39am It’s not because it might be right (many of us here suspect it)

It’s because what gives him right to come out in public and say it. He said it as an employee of the StK FC.

We have the right .. long suffering members and employees

Joey, Nick etc have the right, they have earnt that.

Employees of the club (whether the CEO, Lenny Hayes or the person who answers our calls) do not have that right. Their jobs are to work to make our club great and more relevant but not to tell outsiders that “we are irrelevant”

How about Walsh come in shut up and then in a year or two say, “look what has happened”

I also found the comment arrogant and conceited. To me it smacks of “oh poor St K aren’t they a disgrace and look at me the white knight who deigns to come and help our poor souls”

Step off Walsh, come in, do your job and then let’s congratulate you if appropriate

I bet he doesn’t even know what FQF means

FQF
The reaction to his appointment reminded of the support Donald Trump received from the angry brigade in the lead up to the US 2016 election.
Jesus! That is an ominous comparison to make 😱

Does that mean we’ll one day have a MAGA-type cult of fans who will one day engage in a siege on AFL HQ?
Hilarious to think Biden is better than Trump .

realdeal
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Mon 10 Oct 2022 12:57pm I liked it, as it confirms to supporters that at least one person down there isn't delusional, which can be hard to know at times.
And as an 'Outsider' irrelevance is exactly how the wider football world obviously see us.
We are vanilla... we know it, he knows it, we all know it.

It's over time that we start to ruffle some feathers and give some attitude.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Malcolm Blight got s*** canned for criticising the club because he did it in a very negative and disrespectful way.

I’m not sure what Walsh said but it doesn’t sound good.

NOT GOOD:
“The club can’t attract elite talent because it is irrelevant”.

GOOD:
“WE have struggled to attract elite players to the club over recent times and WE need to get much better in this area. WE are looking at different ways of doing this and WE WILL seek to improve XYX to ensure that WE become an attractive destination for elite talent. WE need to improve”.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Rubyjo wrote: Mon 10 Oct 2022 1:24pm
Sainternist wrote: Mon 10 Oct 2022 12:22pm
Vortex wrote: Mon 10 Oct 2022 9:38am
terry smith rules wrote: Mon 10 Oct 2022 8:39am It’s not because it might be right (many of us here suspect it)

It’s because what gives him right to come out in public and say it. He said it as an employee of the StK FC.

We have the right .. long suffering members and employees

Joey, Nick etc have the right, they have earnt that.

Employees of the club (whether the CEO, Lenny Hayes or the person who answers our calls) do not have that right. Their jobs are to work to make our club great and more relevant but not to tell outsiders that “we are irrelevant”

How about Walsh come in shut up and then in a year or two say, “look what has happened”

I also found the comment arrogant and conceited. To me it smacks of “oh poor St K aren’t they a disgrace and look at me the white knight who deigns to come and help our poor souls”

Step off Walsh, come in, do your job and then let’s congratulate you if appropriate

I bet he doesn’t even know what FQF means

FQF
The reaction to his appointment reminded of the support Donald Trump received from the angry brigade in the lead up to the US 2016 election.
Jesus! That is an ominous comparison to make 😱

Does that mean we’ll one day have a MAGA-type cult of fans who will one day engage in a siege on AFL HQ?
Hilarious to think Biden is better than Trump .
Hilarious to think anyone would want to vote for either!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Who is he speaking to?

He is just trying to be relevant himself, by pointing out to the general footy populace something kind of populist. It’s light weight bubble gum spittle.

Yes, a bit like Blight at the beginning.

We called him.
He was retired.
He’ll bring his tools.

Wouldn’t pay any attention.
He might help. In a very general way.
But he is not a St Kilda person.
Not at all.
If he falls in love with the place U’d be surprised
Who knows?

It shows there was a perceived gap at the club. Perhaps COVID drained the place and he’ll fill a vacuum?

He won’t save St Kilda anymore than Fitzroy to where he went in 1995. He left that sinking ship before it reached Stalingrad the following season.
Edit: I DO like that he isn’t gonna sugar coat stuff tho, and that he has no time for media BS and political projections that conflict with footy development.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Mon 10 Oct 2022 2:04pm Malcolm Blight got s*** canned for criticising the club because he did it in a very negative and disrespectful way.

I’m not sure what Walsh said but it doesn’t sound good.

NOT GOOD:
“The club can’t attract elite talent because it is irrelevant”.

GOOD:
“WE have struggled to attract elite players to the club over recent times and WE need to get much better in this area. WE are looking at different ways of doing this and WE WILL seek to improve XYX to ensure that WE become an attractive destination for elite talent. WE need to improve”.
Walsh has a proven record so there's that. However he is now 66 and this is what he said when he retired in 2020:

"I have been contemplating this [retirement] for some time and as one of my old coaches once put it, the moment you start thinking about retirement is the time to finish."

It does have a bit of the Malcom Blights about it.

So many questions, how long has he been engaged for, what is the succession plan becaue clearly Walsh isn't here for the long term, how does he plan to improve the list beyond his mind numbing idea of going to the draft.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

It only hurts because it’s true

And deep down we all know it!!!

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Doesn't mean it wasn't a massive PR bungle at a really important time. Rookie mistake by a seasoned campaigner. He's a St Kilda employee now. Rule number one. Don't talk down your own organization to the media when you know perceptions can lead to undesirable outcomes in relation to things you're planning. I'm sure players at other clubs heard his words.

If you're going to come in as a Mr Fix it, don't start by flapping your gums without thinking. Do some actual work first.

Killa
Club Player

The reason Collingwood survived having to provide the Brewery with Bank Cheques to purchase supplies on match days was because its history of premierships won made it relevant to the Competition.

The reason Richmond survived across successive "Save our Skins" fundraiser events over seasons was because its history of premierships won made it relevant to the Competition.

The reason Geelong survived, and had half its debt written off by a major bank instead of liquidating the Club, was because of its location in a Regional City and because of its history of premierships won made it relevant to the Competition.

The reasons Clubs were re-located interstate was because those Clubs had won premierships and were relevant to the competition.

North Melbourne became relevant to the competition by using Rule changes to win premierships (Wade, Davis, Rantall et al)

Footscray represented the Western suburbs of Melbourne.

South Sydney re-emerged because of its history including premierships won - so despite being removed from the competition its relevance remained - and it returned (noting the once icon South Sydney Leagues Club).

St Kilda?

IF St Kilda did not have Lindsay Fox supporting Trade Creditors and the bankers receiving a few paltry cents in the $1- and St Kilda had instead folded, with just the one premiership in 1966, who would have missed it?

Would it have done a South Sydney?

The AFL competition has changed from the VFL, and there are reasons St Kilda now survives accordingly.

It is NOW up to St Kilda to become relevant.

By firstly being consistently in contention at the business end of the season, then winning premierships (look at Geelong and what would be the summary if they had again been bundled out in 2022, with an ageing side on the cusp of radical player turnover?)

St Kilda has a challenge.

As Walsh has contributed, it is now about the "bits and pieces" across the playing List, so undersized players such as Wilkie and Membrey not being deployed out of their division and, as with any Club, adding some cream particularly to the mid-field.

In the normal course of events you get one pick in the First Round of the Draft - where you recruit 18 year olds straight from under-age competitions.

So you PRUDENTLY add from elsewhere.

The lack of resource behind Howard and Ryder (so support for Marshall) saw the short term, one season recruitment of Frawley and McKernan, to give reserves for ONE season whilst other resolutions played out (so Heath and Adams in the long term as the start point).

What you have to do is have some success across the journey because otherwise the talent on the List becomes tainted by the lack of wins.

They do not know what winning games looks like, let alone winning Finals.

Walsh has identified the goal - and the strategy starting from the talent we already have on our List (and those who will emerge with experience).

We build the model - including because St Kilda comes from a different heritage to others.

St Kilda can not refer to a culture of success across its history.

So far.

That needs to be corrected.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

In breaking news, Killa makes “discovery" that winning premierships is the key to success.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Tue 11 Oct 2022 10:59am In breaking news, Killa makes “discovery" that winning premierships is the key to success.
And as best I can tell, these spiritual revelations come to him from a pilgrimage to a club in a 2nd tier comp in a barren land to look at photos on the wall. Powerful and moving stuff.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Look no need to fuss about an off the cuff comment, no deep meaning from someone who hasn't found his office yet. Thing is why has he been employed. I suggest his sole task is to sack Brett Ratten. Only thing that can save Brett is players start winning. 4 from 6 he stays a while, 2 or less from 6 he is gone. Club is going win win, either coach is successful or we get a new one, no more hanging on and hoping things turn around.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Tue 11 Oct 2022 1:22pm Look no need to fuss about an off the cuff comment, no deep meaning from someone who hasn't found his office yet. Thing is why has he been employed. I suggest his sole task is to sack Brett Ratten. Only thing that can save Brett is players start winning. 4 from 6 he stays a while, 2 or less from 6 he is gone. Club is going win win, either coach is successful or we get a new one, no more hanging on and hoping things turn around.
The thing that might save Ratts is Geoff spending too much time on the golf course or asleep under his desk catching up on his Nanna naps.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Just Like Malcom Blight did

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Set the tone
Great work by Walsh
Shyte mediocrity needs to be stop somewhere
He and plenty others including players who fight now aren’t even considering us would think it
Call it our own it fix it
It’s on him now last part

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Tue 11 Oct 2022 7:36pm Set the tone
Great work by Walsh
Shyte mediocrity needs to be stop somewhere
He and plenty others including players who fight now aren’t even considering us would think it
Call it our own it fix it
It’s on him now last part
Google translator says drunk.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Is this the same Walsh that was chased out of Collingwood for the monumental screw-up of player contracts that have resulted in the loss of Grundy, Trelour and Stevenson?

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I couldn't agree with Walsh more.

He wasn't just accurate, he was bang on. My only regret is that he didn't go harder.

Otherwise we're set for another decade of 11th, 9th, 17th, 18th, 14th, 15th and 13th.

Who wants that? Not me. Not now. Not ever.

Enough with the mediocrity.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.