Poor Jack Hayes 😢

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: Poor Jack Hayes 😢

tony74 wrote: Tue 02 May 2023 10:24pm Do we have a problem?
If you had been to any pre season sessions you could see how brutal they were. To get to the top you have to go to the extreme levels. The players all bought in. I mean if you had gone to Moorabbin on Boxing Day you would have seen senior players doing continuous 400m sprints- on their own fruition.
After Max hurt his shoulder his running sessions were unbelievably hard- to the point of exhaustion. Coff, Dmac, the amount of laps that did in the pool.
Is it too much. For some obviously, for others it’s made them into incredible resilient players. Everything is easier after the event. You can have every high performance stat possible, but the muscle is still a rubber band. We’re just trying to get it to its peak as that’s what’s needed to win a flag. Two steps forward, one step back.
But as I stated before not one person is to blame. No one in this business is a mug.

It's something that hasn't been backed over but Ross's game plan, which is essentially the same game plan he's deployed since 2007, and that's despite promising he would introduce more attacking flare, is a very taxing game plan, it's really suited to a list that is battle hardened and much closer to being a sustained top 4 side which we are still a few years from reaching.

The boys looked cooked at times against Port.

Lyons game plan was heavily criticised by Freo supporters in his last few years for being overly taxing and creating their perpetual injury crisis.

Training for a taxing game plan migjt also be taxing, especially when the coache's number one mantra is you play the way you train.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 02 May 2023 10:49pm
If you had been to any pre season sessions you could see how brutal they were. To get to the top you have to go to the extreme levels. The players all bought in. I mean if you had gone to Moorabbin on Boxing Day you would have seen senior players doing continuous 400m sprints- on their own fruition.
After Max hurt his shoulder his running sessions were unbelievably hard- to the point of exhaustion. Coff, Dmac, the amount of laps that did in the pool.
Is it too much. For some obviously, for others it’s made them into incredible resilient players. Everything is easier after the event. You can have every high performance stat possible, but the muscle is still a rubber band. We’re just trying to get it to its peak as that’s what’s needed to win a flag. Two steps forward, one step back.
But as I stated before not one person is to blame. No one in this business is a mug.

It's something that hasn't been backed over but Ross's game plan, which is essentially the same game plan he's deployed since 2007, and that's despite promising he would introduce more attacking flare, is a very taxing game plan, it's really suited to a list that is battle hardened and much closer to being a sustained top 4 side which we are still a few years from reaching.

Lyons game plan was heavily criticised by Freo supporters in his last few years for being overly taxing and creating their perpetual injury crisis.

Training for a taxing game plan migjt also be taxing, especially when the coache's number one mantra is you play the way you train.
The same game plan developed by Hayes Harvey and Enright? As 07? I had no idea they were behind it??
The same Freo supporters now whinging on BF that they want RTB back?
Maybe u just liked Brett’s better…

“Yeah….nah””
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I see t74's point

Would you rather a squad of 30 at 120% or a squad of 40 at 90%?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Tue 02 May 2023 11:05pm

The same game plan developed by Hayes Harvey and Enright? As 07? I had no idea they were behind it??
Coach + quality list = premiership

Are you the same as the other fanboy and believe we will win the flag this year?

Or are you sticking to your pre season claim we will win the flag in 2024?

I still think Lyon will need every bit of his 4 year contract to build the list he thinks can challenge.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 02 May 2023 11:16pm

Are you the same as the other fanboy and believe we will win the flag this year?

I still think Lyon will need every bit of his 4 year contract to build the list he thinks can challenge.
I never said we’d win in 2024
I did say 2-3 we will seriously challenge
From there…but of luck..you never know
Are you the same fair weather fan that told us the list was shyte ?

“Yeah….nah””
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

As a far away fan, I can only see that,

1) We were remarkably unfit in pre-bye 2021, cooked at 3/4 time and overrun
2) We were remarkably fit in pre-bye 2022, and able to blitz teams in ten explosive minutes in third quarters and then just kept going
3) We are remarkably injured in pre- bye 2023, but those that survived the purge are running well..

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

A well known Olympic swimming coach describes it like this:

1. It’s a high volume high intensity sport
2. We throw the mud against the wall (the athletes) and what sticks, blossoms.
3. What doesn’t stick gets broken down and rebuilt or goes somewhere else that is easier.

Sounds like a similar analogy.

A handful of soft tissue issues in the short term, for the benefit of being super fit and running out matches seems reasonable risk management.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Skeptical about any side being fitter in a general regime sense. Some players are more gifted aerobically. Some read the play better, some can gut run harder. Given that a high fitness level is a given across the competition save for players coming back from injuries, its essentially a decision based kicking and marking game with small margins for error. I wonder if its more inductive logic that a winning team is initially fitter. Skill can make sides look fast, chasing and tacking is tiring and not as productive as having ball in hand. Often hard running players are burnt by team mates so no reward for effort, why put in that effort.

Saints injury lists over the last couple of seasons seem below industry performance standards and depressingly open ended in a number of cases and can't all be bad luck? or is it, or are we no worse. I wonder how much faith the playing group has in the fitness/medical services. Management seems to have lost patience.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Tue 02 May 2023 11:44pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 02 May 2023 11:16pm

I never said we’d win in 2024
I did say 2-3 we will seriously challenge
From there…but of luck..you never know
Are you the same fair weather fan that told us the list was shyte ?
We are almost on the same page then, will be ATLEAST 2 to 3 years before Lyon procures the players he feels are GF types.

I'm expecting the list to look a lot different by the time we are ready to challenge as this current list is off the pace, the margin is the only debatable aspect IMO.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

You are always denigrating the quality of the Saints list. Doesn't mean that your opinion is correct.

ace
Saintsational Legend

So what is your role in the high performance training / rehab team Tony.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
silverhalo
Club Player

5 day break cost us big time IMO

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Wed 03 May 2023 3:17pm
So what is your role in the high performance training / rehab team Tony.
training watcher

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

How many soft tissue injuries have we had during gameday this year?

I think close to zero

Gameday injuries below (incl practice matches)

Webster .... broken face
Bytel ..... ankle
Steele ..... collarbone
Windhager ....... hand
Billings ..... broken leg

And

Caminiti ..... suspension

I might have missed a few?

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

silverhalo wrote: Wed 03 May 2023 8:02pm

5 day break cost us big time IMO
can we claim we are a "flint hard" fit team that beats teams by running and then use a 5 day break as an excuse after 6 games into the season, but I agree the short break might have played a role with the young guys who will start to tire and find it harder to play sore, especially as it gets colder and our game style will also start to have an impact deeper into the season.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Wed 03 May 2023 8:44pm How many soft tissue injuries have we had during gameday this year?

I think close to zero

Webster .... broken face
Bytel ..... ankle
Steele ..... collarbone
Windhager ....... hand

And

I think Bytel was a cut knee that became infected.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 03 May 2023 9:00pm
Devilhead wrote: Wed 03 May 2023 8:44pm How many soft tissue injuries have we had during gameday this year?

I think close to zero

Webster .... broken face
Bytel ..... ankle
Steele ..... collarbone
Windhager ....... hand

And

I think Bytel was a cut knee that became infected.
Correct he did his ankle but didn't miss but did with the cut knee

Still no soft tissue gameday issues ... long may it last

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!