Reality

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Reality

Maybe the mids have spoken. They don't enjoy the dour defensive style and they'd prefer to hunt the footy (rather than the focus being to stop your opponent)

Maybe the whole team wants to play a more attractive and attacking style of footy. It's more enjoyable

Vote of no confidence in the coach?

maverick
Saintsational Legend

JR23 wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 8:03pm Really , really you are happy Tony74 or just a publicist

If the plan was to finish 9-12 then mission achieved . Well done , pat on the back, how wonderful are we
Many saints supporters had much much higher expectations exspecially with our great start. We watched basically an inactive selection changes to poor results, we watched stagnant game plans and within games as teams worked us out. We see players in at Sandy week knocking on the door but not given as 2nd thought

Lets defend but deflect . Nice Trump move
Pathetic on so many fronts
Leave out the political BS and take it elsewhere

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

The reality is that this team isn't good enough.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 11:09pm Maybe the mids have spoken. They don't enjoy the dour defensive style and they'd prefer to hunt the footy (rather than the focus being to stop your opponent)

Maybe the whole team wants to play a more attractive and attacking style of footy. It's more enjoyable

Vote of no confidence in the coach?
Oh ffs
It’s the host of Survivor…🤦‍♀️

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 7:38pm We have not been out of the eight all year. Yep, I agree we probably won’t last there but honestly how many of you after Round 21 would have thought that. We have a group of new coaches and a new game plan. There will be a turnover of players at season end as the coaching panel mould the squad to its potential. I believe we are building, most so called experts ( and no doubt many of you) had us bottom four. I haven’t got rose coloured glasses, I’m just being realistic. Again I have to emphasise we have not been out of the 8 all year. I reckon the club has been enormous. FQF
Thanks Tony
Most sensible fans know it’s been a tough year re injuries that we didn’t have anywhere remotely near as bad last year
So we have experimented….kids up forward …in midfield and we’ve uncovered a few
Let’s hope the coaching group also keep the pressure on themselves….I’m not 100% sold on Harvs as forward coach..

“Yeah….nah””
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 8:38pm If you think Ross is happy with that performance you don’t know him. He doesn’t rave and rant but he’s not cuddly. He is honest and to the point. He takes no prisoners and knows what he wants. And if you don’t deliver you know. Trust me
RTB needs to back it up with action during this trade period.

Too many players choose when to apply effort.

Too many players are poor with the ball (both skill wise and decision wise).

If there is not significant change then we will be just wasting our time in 2024. We will not be building, just dithering.

I like a lot of our youth, but the older players we brought into improve our list have mainly been a waste and or hardly have gotten on the park. Hill was fool's gold. Cost us a lot and the way it is heading Acre's the steak knives we through in with the trade will have deliver more value to Freo/Blues, that Hill will have done to for us.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Duplicate post removed by sRr
Last edited by saintsRrising on Mon 07 Aug 2023 10:35am, edited 1 time in total.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Mon 07 Aug 2023 2:33am
tony74 wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 8:38pm If you think Ross is happy with that performance you don’t know him. He doesn’t rave and rant but he’s not cuddly. He is honest and to the point. He takes no prisoners and knows what he wants. And if you don’t deliver you know. Trust me

If there is not significant change then we will be just wasting our time in 2024. We will not be building, just dithering.

I like a lot of our youth, but the older players we brought into improve our list have mainly been a waste and or hardly have gotten on the park. Hill was fool's gold. Cost us a lot and the way it is heading Acre's the steak knives we through in with the trade will have deliver more value to Freo/Blues, that Hill will have done to for us.
The common denominator in our woes for the last 5 years has been Simon Lethlean (he was appointed in December 2017)

Let's hope in 2024 we aren't looking to save the short term careers of Lethlean and Lyon. Let's hope they don't bring in another 27/28 year old former premiership player with a full tummy or a broken former All Australian struggling with injury or off field issues

Saint2
Club Player

Listening to Lyon's presser last night, and he is still putting on the fuzzy warm front, but I have been around long enough to pick up that he was pretty pi#@ed off with the result. I could read between the lines that he was eluding to the guys putting the cue away at half time thinking they had done enough, and made mention of costly turnovers.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Saint2 wrote: Mon 07 Aug 2023 8:47am Listening to Lyon's presser last night, and he is still putting on the fuzzy warm front, but I have been around long enough to pick up that he was pretty pi#@ed off with the result. I could read between the lines that he was eluding to the guys putting the cue away at half time thinking they had done enough, and made mention of costly turnovers.
To me it just read like
1. Forwards - ok, can build on that
2. Defence - good under constant pressure
3. Mids - can’t win games with this schizophrenic lot…

He apparently made mention of it pre season in that infamous recording…he knows
Captain? Not a leader need a new one …Steele just another mid cog

“Yeah….nah””
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 07 Aug 2023 3:12am

The common denominator in our woes for the last 5 years has been Simon Lethlean (he was appointed in December 2017)

Let's hope in 2024 we aren't looking to save the short term careers of Lethlean and Lyon. Let's hope they don't bring in another 27/28 year old former premiership player with a full tummy or a broken former All Australian struggling with injury or off field issues

Yes it is only the last few drafts where our recruiting has been AFL standard.

Though Cordy gaining a 3 year contract still boggles my mind. Though at least there was no trade cost for him.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 8:02pm Think there might be quite a few who won’t be there next year. Not a bad thing too.

If I had the cash - I’d happily pay for Gresham to be sacked tonight.
Irony is that Gresh had one of his better games of the season, but still not good enough.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Mon 07 Aug 2023 9:52am
Saint2 wrote: Mon 07 Aug 2023 8:47am Listening to Lyon's presser last night, and he is still putting on the fuzzy warm front, but I have been around long enough to pick up that he was pretty pi#@ed off with the result. I could read between the lines that he was eluding to the guys putting the cue away at half time thinking they had done enough, and made mention of costly turnovers.
To me it just read like
1. Forwards - ok, can build on that
2. Defence - good under constant pressure
3. Mids - can’t win games with this schizophrenic lot…

He apparently made mention of it pre season in that infamous recording…he knows
Captain? Not a leader need a new one …Steele just another mid cog
I've got a feeling Cal Wilkie will end up Captain.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

chook23 wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 8:06pm Can not cop that you mentioned New Game Plan Tony

We were playing better start of year

1 goal after halftime

I don't have rose coloured glasses either
No, actually our first half was better than any of the first four games we won. So was most of the game last week.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Adam Schneider and Sean Dempster worked out pretty well for Ross last time...
seano1 wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 8:57pm But don’t recruit anyone from swans ffs

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Mon 07 Aug 2023 12:29pm
chook23 wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 8:06pm Can not cop that you mentioned New Game Plan Tony

We were playing better start of year

1 goal after halftime

I don't have rose coloured glasses either
No, actually our first half was better than any of the first four games we won. So was most of the game last week.
That’s what surprised Lyon I think
As he said in presser…not much changed but clearly other side went up a gear and we just couldn’t go with them
That tells me we need talent

“Yeah….nah””
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Or maybe Voss the real boss gave a stirring half-time address and continued inspiring and encouraging his team from the boundary line/interchange bench, and remained standing and vocal, transferring that energy to his players, while Ross was sitting down comfortably and cosily in the coach's box?
Maybe that's where they found their extra gear?

I'm kidding, of course - we do need to recruit talent/do some mythical recruiting.
Last edited by samoht on Mon 07 Aug 2023 1:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Voss ….inspiring? I knew you were joking at that point!!
🤣

“Yeah….nah””
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Teflon wrote: Mon 07 Aug 2023 1:33pm Voss ….inspiring? I knew you were joking at that point!!
🤣
Well, relative to RTB, VTRB was/must have been. He wouldn't have been standing in the cold, otherwise? :wink:

Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

So, speaking of recruiting, did Paddy Dow make a good impression yesterday?

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Bruce G McAbee wrote: Mon 07 Aug 2023 2:05pm So, speaking of recruiting, did Paddy Dow make a good impression yesterday?
Yep but not as much as Acres, mores the pity.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Mon 07 Aug 2023 12:18am
tony74 wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 7:38pm We have not been out of the eight all year. Yep, I agree we probably won’t last there but honestly how many of you after Round 21 would have thought that. We have a group of new coaches and a new game plan. There will be a turnover of players at season end as the coaching panel mould the squad to its potential. I believe we are building, most so called experts ( and no doubt many of you) had us bottom four. I haven’t got rose coloured glasses, I’m just being realistic. Again I have to emphasise we have not been out of the 8 all year. I reckon the club has been enormous. FQF
Thanks Tony
Most sensible fans know it’s been a tough year re injuries that we didn’t have anywhere remotely near as bad last year
So we have experimented….kids up forward …in midfield and we’ve uncovered a few
Let’s hope the coaching group also keep the pressure on themselves….I’m not 100% sold on Harvs as forward coach..
Really ?And while we are in the mood to knock our coaches, I am not sold on RTB as a head coach .One should never forget that he lost four premiership matches including an unloseable one against the cats.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Mon 07 Aug 2023 10:32am
Scollop wrote: Mon 07 Aug 2023 3:12am

Yes it is only the last few drafts where our recruiting has been AFL standard.

Though Cordy gaining a 3 year contract still boggles my mind. Though at least there was no trade cost for him.
Cordy isn't working out. I thought he would. Big disappointment.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Carlton were doing fine in 2022 and cruising towards a finals finish only to stumble and crash out towards the end. Sounds familiar?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 9:10pm I think playing King messed us up a bit. I preferred last weeks set up.
I've been saying the same thing for ages. How could playing a generational 200cm forward make you a worse team eh? Only at St Kilda ...

Go you red, black & white warriors