St Kilda's greatest player

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

cuz60 wrote:We smashed them by 131 points, a young Nigel Smart quickly found out what a power forward was.
i heard that smart scragged plugger early in that game and was told by the big bloke that if he tried it again he wouldn't see the sun go down.

he never did try it again.

bergsone
SS Life Member

saints11 wrote:
saints11 wrote:my best five

1. ian stewart
2 robert harvey
3. tony lockett
4 carl ditterich
5. darrel baldock or kev neale
woops forgot trev barker
yes<its too hard fitting some champs in 5 is not enough

saints11
Club Player

yes i even had to do for 5 darrel baldock or kevin neale

esaint66
SS Life Member

ROBERT BANGER HARVEY

I'd need another life time and an oxygen tank to get through naming all his achievements, but bloody hell Robert Harvey is the new way to spell loyalty.

Fortious quo Robert Harvey i say :wink: :lol:

st48

try this for a resume:
3 B&f, 4 All Aust, 8 years in a row top 3 B&F, 5 years Cap, Vic Capt, All Aust VCapt, GF captain (33 possessions) Age, Herald Sun, Channel 7 player of the year, missed brownlow by one vote, 1997 only one game out of 25 where he had less than 20 possessions,
all of this in teams that included your unanimous best player in Harvey, plus Loewe, Lockett and Winmar.

plus a lazy 323 games.

must be a bloody good top 10 if they have better resumes than this bloke.

i know Harvey thinks he wouldnt have been as effective without this guy doing all the grunt work for him.

saintsrokk
Club Player

mine would be stewart leowe ... but herd a rumor is he gay???
________
Yamaha venture royale
Last edited by saintsrokk on Sun 20 Feb 2011 8:20am, edited 1 time in total.

Halo Halo
Club Player

saintsrokk wrote:mine would be stewart leowe ... but herd a rumor is he gay???
but you heard a rumor he was gay?? whats it matter?? Maybe thats the same rumor about Aaron Hammil or even Fraser..

I know for a fact of a guy playing (not in the Saints) who is gay but its no-one's business cos it doesnt affect the way he plays.. Well maybe in a tackle (Haha)

Getting back to the point the best saints player i have watched is Banger.. Loved Lockett as a kid..

Harvey
Lockett
Burke
Jones
Last edited by Halo Halo on Sat 24 May 2008 1:38pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Has a lovely wife and kids. Lot's of things I could say to you right now but no need, someone else probably will - or you'll be rightly banned.

esaint66
SS Life Member

WTF :shock: :shock: no

Like saintbot has already said has got a lovely wife and kids and even if he was gay who gives a f**k???? Where talking about on-field talents hear mate not what our fomer/currentds stars get upto off the field.

BTW stewies 40th bday was this week ....... happy birthday stewie :D

saints11
Club Player

has anybody seen barry breen play how good was he?

tezza1
Club Player

Stewart won his third Brownlow at Richmond in 1971 (a year we were runner up).....if he won the Brownlow with us in a premiership he would overtake Harves.... [quote][/quote]

Well BigMart Stewie did win the brownlow in the year we won the flag.

Ian Stewart had everything , he was clean never fumbled and most posessions found a team mate off either foot. Also he was a magnificent mark for a centreman "witness the memorable mark over Gabelich of Collingwood in the final.

Baldock was a wizard as good on the ground as harves and better overhead.

Winmar was like Stewie , as was Barker. People remember how good Barker was in the air but forget he was Jezza like on the ground.

But for sheer gamewinning ability and being unbeatable when in the mood PLUGGER is the man.

Someone said here that Dunstall was better ? :P If plugger had played in those Hawthorn sides he would have kicked 200 goals in a season.

Go Sainters !!!!!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saints11 wrote:has anybody seen barry breen play how good was he?
he was a very good half forward. in our top 20, but not top 5 i'd say.

his last years, as he edged towards 300 games, weren't his best.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

definitely Plugger.

He made it "normal" for a FF to kick 7 goals!

A complete freak, and being only 13 when he started, I just thought that's how a good FF should play.....little did I know.....

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

My lifetime ('83 onwards)

1. Harvey
2. Lockett
3. Burke
4. Loewe
5. Winmar

Riewoldt (Best current player except Harvs) not even close to Winmar in my eyes.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Four way tie between Lockett, Harvey, Stewart and Baldock.
I've never seen a player influence more games or win more matches off his own boot than Plugger so I'd be tempted to give him the nod.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

ok since i was only in the country from 85 onwards im gonna say harves.

pluggers a close second, basically he was the reason i started supporting the saints when i came to the country and was introduced to the game, saw plugger just go crash and bash and boot this funny shaped red thing thru two white sticks.....i was hooked
8-)

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

1.Plugger
2.Baldock
3.Stewart
4.Harvey
5.Muir (If a better temprement) - Barker

johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

Ok here goes.....

1. Robert Harvey - 2 Brownlow's and has stood the test of time 350+ games.

2. Tony Lockett - 1300 goals, enough said.

3. Ian Stewart - Triple Brownlow Medallist.

4. Darryl Baldock - Brilliant.

5. Nicky Winmar - as good as indigenous footballer to have played the game.

Although not in my top 5 - my fave St Kilda players over the years were Greg Burns - a real soldier, Danny Frawley - dour, never say die attitude, bled for the club and Geoff Cunningham. Didn't mind Bruce Duperouzel and Robert "The Eel" Elphinstone either.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:I've never seen a player influence more games or win more matches off his own boot than Plugger
nor me. and i don't think leigh matthews, ablett senior, wayne carey or anyone else was in the same class. if i had to pick one guy to win me a match i'd go lockett every time.

nowadays i'd pick franklin, but only because plugger is 42!

in terms of strength and contested marking ability he made carey and jonathon brown look second rate. the same goes for his goal-kicking.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sat 24 May 2008 10:38pm, edited 1 time in total.

saints11
Club Player

maybe bill mohr he kicked 735 goals 80 years ago :P

Shaggy
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:You know how we marvel at Harves baulking opponents?
You know how we marvel at him running down the ground bouncing the ball with his left hand?

You somehow need to get hold of video/film of Baldock. He would sidestep/baulk players at will - its why he was nicknamed Mr Magic.

One night at training he ran down the ground bouncing a footy in each hand.
There is a story that when he came back to coach in the late 80's he repeated the feat to ther amazement of the players, including Harves.

It is almost impossible to compare players of different eras with each other. From one era to another the game changes, the players change, the rulse change, the training changes.

Baldock was unbelievable. Opposition supporters used to marvel at what he did on the football field.
Stewart was brilliant.
Ditterich made our players 'walk taller' on the field.
Barker was an enigma - who could believe the stuff he did on teh field?
Plugger was the most intimidating player we had in terms of taking a game by the scruff iof the neck.
Winmar was sublime.
Harvey invented the gut-running game of today.

Any of the above could mount an argument to be in our best 5 players from the 60's onwards.
Who knows what the players who played in our first 70 years were like?
We disagree on the present but in terms of past players your analysis exacts mine except you have put it better than I could :) . Ross Smith very unlucky to miss out.

Of all the Saints greats I think Big Carl would have made the difference in 2004 & 2005.

kalsaint
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:Plugger, because he did it week in week out in a dud team. He would have been even better in a better team.

Harvey next, because he just keeps giving and he doesn't know any other way.

Baldock, would have rated him higher if he was around longer.

Stewart, sheer brilliance but jumped ship.

McIntosh, cruelly cut down in his prime.

Ditterich, because I was with East Brighton when he was there and he even frightened the s*** out of his teammates.
Not sure I agree with Lockett as no.1 due to "being in a dud team". Tony received plenty of excellent clear passage from legends like Nicky Winwar. and had a marvellous CHF working as a distraction for much of his time at St. Kilda.

My list is:

1 Harvey - class, skills, longevity, humility and team man who continued to develop in a game that has changed radically.
2 Doc Baldock - great skills in all conditions but second only because the game is faster now.
3 Ian Stewart - A marvel to watch. Its all said before. As a young teenager Stewart was my idol and I was "over the moon" to have him attend a footy club pie night (I was around 13 or 14).
4 T. Lockett - 1300 goals says it all.
5 Trevor Barker - A one man show with huge aerial skills that often played against all the odds.
6 Nicky Winmar - now here is a guy that delivered agains the might of opposition thrown against him (in several ways).
7 Stewart Loewe - Buckets was a fantastic mark nad hugely underrated player. In my opinion was a better mark than Lockett and had not fear in marking contests.
8 Carl Ditterich - The blonde BOMBshell who could win or lose a game at will.
9 Nathan Burke - Never underrate what this fellow did for the Saints then and now.
10 Cowboy Kevin Neale - played forward and back and took many telling marks that lead Saints to games they would never have won without him.

Roo is not far from this list but others have a lot of work to elevate themselves this far apart from maybe Ball, if he remains injury free.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
kalsaint
Club Player

bassoon wrote:No comparison between McIntosh and McAdam.

McIntosh played only two seasons and finished in the top half dozen players in the Brownlow both years. He did his knee in the 2nd semi final against Hawthorn in 71, and if I remember correctly, never played again.

Absolutely superb big man - more skilled than Big Carl and Mynott, and was probably one of the first mobile big men. Not to mention his pedigree - dad was Merv McIntosh who some scribes have said was the greatest player to come from the west, and his son, Ashley who was a more than useful defender with the Weagles.

Gilbert was a good player, but might not rate in the top 50, let alone top 10.

Other great players I've seen (but not in my top 10) include

Dal
Rooey
Burkey
Maxy
Loewe
Jeff Sarau
Joffa
Barry Breen
Barry Lawrence
Glen Elliott
Bob Murray

and the list goes on.

[/quote]

Great response and while I respect Gibert I agree with you.
McIntosh misses my top ten due to the short career but he was fantastic. We would have won 1971's flag with him. I think he was second in the Brownlow in '71 missing out due to the silly countback system at the time.

Good names above. Bob Murray - great full back.
Glen Elliot was a very underrated centreman but was unusual as he also was a close checking centreman (not midfielder as they are called today).

Baryy Lawrence was OK but not top 10, Jeff Sarau wouldn't rate in my top 25, nor would Barry Breen except for that point in '66. Joffa was a real goer.

One I also admired was Jeff Dunne as a very reliable back pocket who took on the resting rovers and mostly won.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Enrico Misso.

JeffDunne

kalsaint wrote:One I also admired was Jeff Dunne as a very reliable back pocket who took on the resting rovers and mostly won.