Which past player would you choose?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

HarveysDeciple

given what defenders have to contend with, re the rules these days it would almost increase the collosus that is Plugger.

In anycase you'd take him in a heartbeat.

saintjake
Club Player

lol, in the team context, and the modern game.
id say aaron hamil in is prime, hitting bodies
taking marks kicking goals.
letting roo go on the wing

TriColourDisciple
Club Player

I'd probably (reluctantly) have to go with Plugger too.
He was like a Super hero for us & he made you walk tall knowing he was in the side. Without him in the side, you never really felt overly confident of winning.
As I've mentioned before : Loved him as a Saint, Hated (& Booed) him as a Swine ..er..Swan.

Proudly Brainwashed since 1972
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Nobody misses Trent Knobel?

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Winmar or Harvey, at their best :shock:

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:lol, in the team context, and the modern game.
id say aaron hamil in is prime, hitting bodies
taking marks kicking goals.
letting roo go on the wing
why does roo have to play on the wing when he plays chf and ff best???

it like robbing a super forward line tall and smll to play him in a position that someone like gram, gilbert or raph clarke could play

just cause roo can run doesnt mean he should play up around the ball

and dont supporters get shirty when he takes marks up on the wing anyway?

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

simple answer for mine.........big carl....to put the fear of god into the opposition...you reckon sammy frightened them????nothing to what ditterich would do

...now before anybody has a go at me.....

we have roo...so the doc's not a necessity.....lenny or ball for stewie.....x for cuz...and kossi for plugger......all not quite there but sufficient...provided of kossi kicks on and doesn't go backwards.......but we have no-one who goes anywhere near the shadow.......as an enforcer or ruckman......

ditterich for me....but i wouldn't knock any of the others back either.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:kossi for plugger
:lol: good one

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

stinger wrote:simple answer for mine.........big carl....to put the fear of god into the opposition...you reckon sammy frightened them????nothing to what ditterich would do

...now before anybody has a go at me.....

we have roo...so the doc's not a necessity.....lenny or ball for stewie.....x for cuz...and kossi for plugger......all not quite there but sufficient...provided of kossi kicks on and doesn't go backwards.......but we have no-one who goes anywhere near the shadow.......as an enforcer or ruckman......

ditterich for me....but i wouldn't knock any of the others back either.....
Huh? :shock:

You left out McQualter for Harvey
Last edited by Winmar7Fan on Tue 03 Mar 2009 8:18pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Aren't we down a running midfielder with class and good delivery...

Hmm...I wonder who????

Not sure if I would want the 91/92 version where he was just a gun mid or the 97/98 version where he was a freak.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

To COMPLETELY Dominate: Lockett

To REALLY Intimidate: Ditterich

For PURE Class: Winmar

For MIDFIELD DOMINATION: Harvey & Stewart

!!

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

haha - if Carl was around the opp. taggers would be too busy watching their own arses! No time for Dal or anyone else.
But - like Plugger he would be out for a few weeks each year.
:(

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
bergsone
SS Life Member

IMO champions are champions any era so Baldock,Lockett,Ditterich anyone of those 3 would fit nicely atm

SirDog
Club Player

Plugger for two reasons:

1. Football ability to singlehandedly win games. And I know one may argue that the likes of winmar fed him the ball (which is true) however no one finished it off (with a goal) as good as Lockett.

2. Charasmatic onfield ability to raise the spirits of supporters when he played. The matches which made the greatest impressions in my football memory were mainly at Moorabbin with Lockett causing saint fans to go into cheering frenzies when he was on top of his game.

EDIT: I wasn't around pre: 1969 so I can't judge the ol' timers. My decision is based on the players I have watched.

St.Kilda fan - through and through.
the shadow
Club Player

Plugger, plugger and plugger. I don't think I've ever seen a player single handedly win as games and do as many incredible things on a football field as he did. Coupled with that was his ability to simultaneously terrify the oppositon and inspire his own team mates.

Imagine if he had the conditioning and development coaches of today at his disposal. Imagine if he had have maintained his fitness and motivation at the highest levels possible, ala Robert Harvey. Throw in some decent protection from umpires and as Peter Hudson once famously said, "At his best he could kick two hundred in a season."

BTW I saw the great man recently and boy has he trimmed down! He almost looked anorexic (for Plugger anyway). I reckon he's dropped 30-40 kgs. He looks slimmer that he did when he first came down to St.Kilda as a 16 year old! Anyone know why? He's not crook is he?

Run like Ditterich, arms flailing, cause fear in the enemy, make fellow saints walk tall!
bob__71
Club Player

the shadow wrote:Plugger, plugger and plugger. I don't think I've ever seen a player single handedly win as games and do as many incredible things on a football field as he did. Coupled with that was his ability to simultaneously terrify the oppositon and inspire his own team mates.

Imagine if he had the conditioning and development coaches of today at his disposal. Imagine if he had have maintained his fitness and motivation at the highest levels possible, ala Robert Harvey. Throw in some decent protection from umpires and as Peter Hudson once famously said, "At his best he could kick two hundred in a season."

BTW I saw the great man recently and boy has he trimmed down! He almost looked anorexic (for Plugger anyway). I reckon he's dropped 30-40 kgs. He looks slimmer that he did when he first came down to St.Kilda as a 16 year old! Anyone know why? He's not crook is he?
A classic problem with modern football. Plugger in todays game would still be able to stand as a one man forward line. Without the conditioning etc. But would never be drafted, and would never be picked because of a perception that someone who isnt peak physical condition cannot be an AFL footballer. I think plugger without the gut and attitude would not have been the player he was.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

the shadow wrote:Plugger, plugger and plugger. I don't think I've ever seen a player single handedly win as games and do as many incredible things on a football field as he did. Coupled with that was his ability to simultaneously terrify the oppositon and inspire his own team mates.

Riding motor bikes long distance on dirt tracks so needs to be slim to handle it.

the shadow
Club Player

Cheers. So that's his real passion? That makes sense. The lighter you are the faster you go I guess. He's obviously been very dedicated to slim down and get fit for a demanding sport like that. You're right bob_71, he probably wouldn't have been the player he was without being that size, but I wonder....A super fit plugger, with muscle instead of fat. He still looked mean and intimidating at his new weight. That stare still goes right through you. And you've either got the mongrel in you or you haven't. He had it by the truckload, didn't he? I reckon he could've been intimidating even if he was jockey-sized. I pity the poor bastard that gets in his way during a race.

Run like Ditterich, arms flailing, cause fear in the enemy, make fellow saints walk tall!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

none of us are really wrong ......all a matter of opinion......but unlike some..i have seen them all play.......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:none of us are really wrong ......all a matter of opinion......but unlike some..i have seen them all play.......
Yes but the memory goes with age. :lol:

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Re: Which past player would you choose?

Winmar7Fan wrote:
So I'm interested in knowing if you had a choice of any one of our past players in their prime to play for us today who would that be and why?
i have been thinking about this, and while T Lockett is the obvious pick.
Our current list is crying out for a quality mid sized forward.
I never saw him play but going by his record, Bill Mohr.
182cm, 195 games and 735 goals. THAT is the sort of firepower we are missing from a flank.
In the same mould George Young, I watched him play a lone hand in our forwardline for a couple of years, avg 2.6 goals a game and was 185cm.
In todays terms 182-185cm would be regarded as on the small side but both of those players must have been good in the air.
Both players remind me how well they would complement our current list, and why I am envious of Bradshaw and Lucas.

Seeya
happy feet
Club Player

tough question

Cannot choose between Lockett, Barker, Stewart, Harvey, Baldock, Griffiths......

ace
Saintsational Legend

Plugger in his prime, 70 goals in 9 successive games.

They only stopped him getting 200 in the season by chopping his legs.

Makes Franklin look like an amateur.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: Which past player would you choose?

[quote="sunsaint"][quote="Winmar7Fan"]

So I'm interested in knowing if you had a choice of any one of our past players in their prime to play for us today who would that be and why?[/quote]
In the same mould George Young, I watched him play a lone hand in our forwardline for a couple of years, avg 2.6 goals a game and was 185cm.
In todays terms 182-185cm would be regarded as on the small side but both of those players must have been good in the air.
Both players remind me how well they would complement our current list, and why I am envious of Bradshaw and Lucas.[/quote]

George Young was absolutely brilliant when he got possession of the ball.
But he was softer than Fiora.
A good tight defender could easily shut him out of the play and keep him to one handfull of possessions.
Still they would probably be goals.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
matrix
Saintsational Legend

plugga in his prime.
hands down.

G a reasonably close second.

we need a FF NOW.