What will happen on here when we cant play finals

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

santazzi
Club Player

Re: What will happen on here when we cant play finals

plugger66 wrote:I cannot believe the amount of negative crap written on this forum. Yes maybe our run may be over but we are 3 weeks in to the season. RL thinks that playing experienced players as well as 5 young guys is the way to go. Cannot see anything wrong with the balance but what do we get on here. The world is over. We arent playing enough kids and then you read further and most want one extra young kid. Well big deal only 5 are playing. Does it really matter if we wait a week or two to see where our year is heading.

Heaven help the negative crap if we cant make the finals. I take it most of the whingers havent had the bad fortune to see us when we are really bad. I just hope for the clubs sake these whingers will stick fat when we are in the bottom 8 in the next 3 to 4 years. I certainly know I will.
You are such a pessimist P66...........if we do not make the finals we will go back to what we have always done when we do not make the finals and particularly if we are placed close to the bottom eight end....we fight and whinge who should be our first pick.......happy days all over again...............!!!!!!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

If we continually developed and every kid on our list jad double the game tally or even 25% more games we would not have to wait until 2020.....

Btw....mcevoy was pick 9 the year after armo.....lynch was pick 12 in 2008......look up the guy who was pick 16 in 2009 (lovett)

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:If we continually developed and every kid on our list jad double the game tally or even 25% more games we would not have to wait until 2020.....
It is an inponderable. If we developed those kids, would we have had a shot at a flag in 2009 and 2010?
BigMart wrote:Btw....mcevoy was pick 9 the year after armo.....lynch was pick 12 in 2008......look up the guy who was pick 16 in 2009 (lovett)
True. Mac has been good for a big bloke and will get better. Armo has taken time to develop but with Lenny out this is his year to shine.

Have been dissapointed with Lynch.

And the less said about Lovett the better.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

I'm over this year already. Not necessarily because I think the season is over (heading that way but still have that stupidly optimistic part of me thinking we have a chance still) but just because I haven't been able to get into footy this year.

has a strong 2001-02 flavour to it in terms of both our playing style and my feelings about the game.

With the arrival of my new son in December last year, I've had more important things to worry about.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Good post.

People know what a forum is. Whether it's a quality forum with quality opinions is another thing.

Tonight, it had been poor. As stated no back up to ideas, no explanation to opinions and no basis to thoughts.

Soon posters will be calling to play next years draftees this year!
He we've played like Shiite this year and the quality of posting reflects the teams attitude and output so far.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

Well, one thing I was thinking when I saw the ladder was "WTF two and a half games out" - looks like it - but in reality with all other teams above us pretty much still getting the bye - we are only 1.5 games off the eight - just need to win a few.
Also - Geelong game was really quite ok as a standard. Rich apparently played brilliant footy against us and Ess have done that each of the past 4 meetings. No real measure is available til Bris!
Saints 6th - could shake the tree again.

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yes we would have......

Do you think a couple of youngsters

Replacing a couple from our notorious bottom 6 would have made a difference.....

I recon the same result would have ensued but a few kids would have played more games

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Soon posters will be calling to play next years draftees this year!
What an absolutely ridiculous comment....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Won't be this year.

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

bigred wrote: Apart from being absolutely gutted for the missed chances, my greatest, greatest fear is that the club would do something stupid like flicking the coach. A typical old St.Kilda move.
+1

Good coaches do not grow on trees. Stability is the key, no knee-jerk reactions.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

bloody good post red
sums it up i reckon

back to the old st kilda knee jerk reaction?....worst scenario

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Getting back to comparisons between 09 and 10, i think we sometimes forget how important the QF last year was in deciding the destiny of the flag.
If not for Mooney's clumsy tackle -mind you, we shouldn't have let the Cats be so close anyway - we would've played the pies in a prelim.

The Cats would've smashed the dogs like we did, but would we have beaten the pies? Hard to say...we would've put up a better effort than Geelong did, though that wouldn't have been hard!

And if the pies did beat us, then the Cats would have been a great chance to have beaten them in the GF, seeking the back-to-back stamp of a classic team.

One tackle, onoe free kick, like the toe-tap and bad bounce...it truly is a game of inches.

PS - as to the brissie weather as mentioned elsewhere? It won't be humid tomorrow night. Its sunny this morn here on the coast but it doesn't take long for storms to come in and they are hanging about the range.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

The main point about Lyon is that he got us into a zone in which we could win a flag. So did GT before him. And Alves a bit before GT. That makes all of them good coaches IMO.

Finals footy is real tough. If Gia's kick on the run in the last quarter of the 2009 PF had gone straighter or if a few things had gone differently in the 2010 QF, we wouldn't have played any GFs. If the Pies had kicked straighter in the first half of the 2010 GF, it might have been a walkover.

Similarly, with a bit more luck and a few less injuries in 2004-06, we might have won 2-3 premierships.

I know it's hard for some on here to appreciate this, but it isn't all about the coach. The coach sets up the team to play as close as possible to its best and then it's up to the talent and attitudes of the players.

Eg, I think Lyon had pretty poor match days in both the 2009 PF and the
first 2010 GF, but the basic structure he had instilled in the side plus the superb efforts of some players (Riewoldt, Raph and others in 2009; BJ and Lenny in 2010) kept us in the game.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

On the other hand, Lyon had a great coaching day in the 2009 GF and the players let us down with poor kicking from set shots.

We are all too obsessed with the coach.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:I find it really frustrating when Raph Clarke gets dumped after 3 games after playing 1 good game, 1 ok one and one very mediocre game, whilst Jones is 0-3
didn't jones play on stanton against essendon? stanton had 16 touches and 0 scoring shots which is fewer than any of his other matches this year - the other three have been 30/2, 25/2, 19/1. fewer inside 50s too. hard to know, but that potentially means that jones did a good job on him.

though admittedly 7 touches and 1 kick aren't great stats for cj himself.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

It won't be an issue because we'll still make the 8.

I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

meher baba wrote:The main point about Lyon is that he got us into a zone in which we could win a flag. So did GT before him. And Alves a bit before GT. That makes all of them good coaches IMO.

Finals footy is real tough. If Gia's kick on the run in the last quarter of the 2009 PF had gone straighter or if a few things had gone differently in the 2010 QF, we wouldn't have played any GFs. If the Pies had kicked straighter in the first half of the 2010 GF, it might have been a walkover.

Similarly, with a bit more luck and a few less injuries in 2004-06, we might have won 2-3 premierships.

I know it's hard for some on here to appreciate this, but it isn't all about the coach. The coach sets up the team to play as close as possible to its best and then it's up to the talent and attitudes of the players.

Eg, I think Lyon had pretty poor match days in both the 2009 PF and the
first 2010 GF, but the basic structure he had instilled in the side plus the superb efforts of some players (Riewoldt, Raph and others in 2009; BJ and Lenny in 2010) kept us in the game.
Very good points.
But a lot of people on this forum refuse to give GT any credit.
I reckon 4 out of our last six coaches (sorry Timmy and Malcom) have performed really well and are unlucky not to have got higher honours...I include Kenny Sheldon.
I think Blighty may have done well given more time, but maybe his heart wasn't in it.

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

2009 PF / or if a few things had gone differently in the 2010 QF, we wouldn't have played any GFs.
how true that is

at the very least .... we aint doggies supporters ... thats gotta be a blessing

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:On the other hand, Lyon had a great coaching day in the 2009 GF and the players let us down with poor kicking from set shots.

We are all too obsessed with the coach.
very good coach but choked in the last quarter. regardless of what went on previously we still led going into it - first team since 1984 to lose from that position. geelong became the only team in history to win after losing the first three quarters.
ball should've gone back into battle, raph should have been moved away from byrnes, and the panicked 'kick it long' instruction. harsh but not his best quarter by a long shot.
Last edited by desertsaint on Thu 21 Apr 2011 7:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Denial is not a river in Egypt

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

I know I'll be $1000 better off - Ill start planning another holiday overseas :)

matrix
Saintsational Legend

damn friggin straight
last year cost me a fortune...
and i loved 90% of it