Team vs Bulldogs

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

degruch
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:
SainterK wrote:Out Polo (omit) Joey (inj)
In Raph Walsh (debut)

Ledger full time, Siposs to sub
Bit defender heavy I reckon
...and one week too late. :(

Doggies are a different concern.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

What to do with Dawson? If the Dogs play Lake at FF, he will monster Dawson. If Dawson has a place in the team it is not at Fullback. He is proving that week after week. Why the hell did'nt Ross give him a run in the ruck instead of Jimmy Gwilt. Dawson is 3 inches taller. For mine I reckon his place is at Sandy to learn a new position. Use Walsh or Simpkin at Fullback.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Walsh got a football lesson a couple of weeks ago against Lake. No point bringing him in for this role.

If he was to play, he should take either Jarrad Grant if he plays, or Liam Jones. But this role is suited to Simpkin too, who shouldn't be dropped.

We must win this week - no doubts about it. I feel a lot safer having an experienced tall defender in Dawson in the team, it's too much of a risk having Simpkin and Walsh holding down the 2 key defensive posts.

Dawson was poor this week, but all of our key backman were caught out one-on-one. Only once on the whole night did Roo get a chance one out against Reid, where the Filth seemed to get it everytime they went forward. And Cloke is no mug, only his kicking has stopped him from being elite before now.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I believe Raph has worked hard at Sandy and earned a recall, and Walsh should also get a game as we are down one big body in the backline. It may be time to get Gram back into the team for a bit more run and experience from the backline. Gamble was recruited as a forward, and as we had no effective forwards against Cwood, he should get a game. I would retain Ledger in place of Armo and maybe give Siposs a rest back at Sandy- the guy will be a gun but not yet. Simpkin should be in the mix. Polo let himself down with poor disposal and probably needs a trip to Sandy.
So my ins:
Raph, Gram, Walsh, Gamble
out: Siposs, Armo, Polo and Zac (he needs to work a bit more on his one-on-one marking)

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

St Chris wrote:Walsh got a football lesson a couple of weeks ago against Lake. No point bringing him in for this role.

If he was to play, he should take either Jarrad Grant if he plays, or Liam Jones. But this role is suited to Simpkin too, who shouldn't be dropped.

We must win this week - no doubts about it. I feel a lot safer having an experienced tall defender in Dawson in the team, it's too much of a risk having Simpkin and Walsh holding down the 2 key defensive posts.

Dawson was poor this week, but all of our key backman were caught out one-on-one......
Yes, someone noticed that the WB have 2 tall forwards in Grant and Jones - who have similar builds to Dawson and Simpkin

Also Lake could play forward, or they may bring in Hudson and play Minson forward - so you still need tall defenders.....more so if they want Fisher to play elsewhere

Hold your ground :shock:
elphie
Club Player

no one has mentioned BLAKEY
.......how many weeks is he really out for, btw ?

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

With the news on Kosi his inclusion now seems unlikely. Stanley or Archer must come in. Archer would be my pick as he ha the ability to crash packs to bring it down and has the confidence to impose himself on the game. Stanley would be the better ruck relief but would offer little up forward.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:With the news on Kosi his inclusion now seems unlikely. Stanley or Archer must come in. Archer would be my pick as he ha the ability to crash packs to bring it down and has the confidence to impose himself on the game. Stanley would be the better ruck relief but would offer little up forward.
Surely form matters a little bit. Neither should be close on Sandy form.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:With the news on Kosi his inclusion now seems unlikely. Stanley or Archer must come in. Archer would be my pick as he ha the ability to crash packs to bring it down and has the confidence to impose himself on the game. Stanley would be the better ruck relief but would offer little up forward.
Who then? Stick with Siposs as the only marking forward and McEvoy the only ruckman?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Who then? Stick with Siposs as the only marking forward and McEvoy the only ruckman?
I have no idea but it proves to me we are in trouble. Archer shouldnt even be rucking at Sandy but Stanley must be that out of form they had him CHB yesterday. As stupid as it sounds and against everything I have been saying Walsh may have to come in and pinch hit in a few positions. Very unfair on him though.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Zac can do some rucking espec against the Dogs.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

spert wrote:I believe Raph has worked hard at Sandy and earned a recall, and Walsh should also get a game as we are down one big body in the backline. It may be time to get Gram back into the team for a bit more run and experience from the backline. Gamble was recruited as a forward, and as we had no effective forwards against Cwood, he should get a game. I would retain Ledger in place of Armo and maybe give Siposs a rest back at Sandy- the guy will be a gun but not yet. Simpkin should be in the mix. Polo let himself down with poor disposal and probably needs a trip to Sandy.
So my ins:
Raph, Gram, Walsh, Gamble
out: Siposs, Armo, Polo and Zac (he needs to work a bit more on his one-on-one marking)
Drop Armo? Are you serious?

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:
spert wrote:I
Drop Armo? Are you serious?
It's in-line with a new tactic which we've been working on all season where the opposition win 95% of centre clearances.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

In: Clarke
Out: Dawson

Match-ups the biggest consideration

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
saintbob
SS Life Member

OUTS: Dawson, Montagna, Siposs(rest)

INS: Johnson,Walsh, Clarke

Possible line up:

Baker Walsh Clarke

Dempster Fisher Gwilt

Gilbert Armo Ray

Schnieder Roo Polo

Milne Johnson BJ

McEvoy
Dal
Steven

Peake, jones,Ledger simpkin

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Polo had the job on Krakour and if it wasnt for the gift he received on half time Polo trounced him. Polo did turn it over but when your only option is Roo on three or Milne on two were do you go?

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
bendigo bob
Club Player

I would think maybe only 2 changes this week.
Out Joey (inj) and Dawson.
Ins Lynch and Walsh to debut

Possible line up

B: Baker Walsh Gwilt
HB: Dal Fisher Dempster
C: Ray Armo BJ
HF: Gilbert Roo Lynch
F: Shnieder Siposs Milne
R: McEvoy Steven Ledger
I: Jones Polo Peake or Simpkin (sub)

If Joey comes up then rest Polo.

BJ has arrived!!!!!!!!!!

BJ's #1 Fan

Winner of the half time Social Club auction for Kosi's jumper Round 19 2005
Can we build it? Yes we can!!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I would like to see a forward line full of attack, if you can't monster them carlton them, Johnson, Siposs and maybe Fisher or Goddard forward with Rooey. If Montagna misses we need Gram back, he is able to play Joey's role and Peake as running mids, Fisher and Goddard get runs in the middle too. Walsh as a CHB in the Fisher type sweeper, quarterback role sounds alright Simpkin and Dawson deeper back, Raph backline runner. That said I would like Archer to get another go as well. If Kosi isn't going to make it you want to develop a big lumbering forward to direct play through. It was handy in NAB cup having someone that looked like an over grown Riewoldt playing forward to confuse the opposition.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

gringo wrote:I would like to see a forward line full of attack, if you can't monster them carlton them, Johnson, Siposs and maybe Fisher or Goddard forward with Rooey. If Montagna misses we need Gram back, he is able to play Joey's role and Peake as running mids, Fisher and Goddard get runs in the middle too. Walsh as a CHB in the Fisher type sweeper, quarterback role sounds alright Simpkin and Dawson deeper back, Raph backline runner. That said I would like Archer to get another go as well. If Kosi isn't going to make it you want to develop a big lumbering forward to direct play through. It was handy in NAB cup having someone that looked like an over grown Riewoldt playing forward to confuse the opposition.
Im of similar mind with Raph(or walsh) & Dawson
Get DalSanto OUT of the backline & into the middle where he can be damaging moving the ball into the forwardline
have either Raph or Dawson play the sweeping role
While they are not flying at the moment the dogs have plenty of class in the middle that needs to be covered

Seeya
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Can one of the Zac bashers actually tell me how many other games this year he has been beaten in (goals conceeded etc)

On saturday he ran into a red hot Cloke (all australian this year?) who was clunking every ball and not missing with anything.

the delivery to cloke was also pretty ok

then can these same people take me through the other full backs and rank them in the afl

I think you will find Zac sits pretty comfortably mid table in a position where there are not too many stars

I would arguably rate ahead of him on current form

Merrett, Scarlett, Glass, Jamieson (do you class him full back), maybe Rutten

there thats for starters

and on this year no to Frawley and Lake

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

I do think that we need to bring in another forward, either Gamble, Kosi or Stanley the latter would be handier because they can give McEvoy a break in the ruck.
Of course Kosi depends on how sick he was and how quick he can recover, no Stanley isn't playing well, but maybe against the Dogs he may have a chance to do something against less confident opponents.
Gamble, well he did have a knack to come into the Geelong side and have a good first up game, then revert to mediocrity.
I wouldn't drop Dawson.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Out - Joey (inj) & Polo (too slow for Bulldogs).

In - Clarke & Gram.

Move Dal or Gilbert forward to provide a bit of class support for Rooey.

thequarry
Club Player

As others have mentioned already, Ross has confirmed Joey won't play on Friday.

Does that mean Smith comes in? Not sure if Gram's shown enough at VFL level.

He also hinted at Walsh debuting (I'm still running off Luke Holmesby's tweet)...is Simpkin retained in the side if that's the case? I would have thought match-ups this week would have been tight with both of those in the side.
Last edited by thequarry on Wed 08 Jun 2011 4:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

Middo
Club Player

saintbob wrote:OUTS: Dawson, Montagna, Siposs(rest)

INS: Johnson,Walsh, Clarke

Possible line up:

Baker Walsh Clarke

Dempster Fisher Gwilt

Gilbert Armo Ray

Schnieder Roo Polo

Milne Johnson BJ

McEvoy
Dal
Steven

Peake, jones,Ledger simpkin

Why would we want to be resting one of our brightest prospects..?
Don't see many other sides wanting to rest their young blokes unless there doing alot of midfield work.
Can't imagine West Coast wanting to spell Darling...Leave him there and let him learn and he might just kick 3 or 4 in a game.

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
Middo
Club Player

Looking forward to Ledger taking on Joey's role as I'm sure he's made to play at this level. Something about him that makes me feel he's what we have been looking for with pace and the want to take a game on !! :wink:
Last edited by Middo on Wed 08 Jun 2011 4:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!